26 Congress Street
Salem, MA 01970Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grapevinesalem.com/
- Phone: 9787459335x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Sunday 11:30-2 Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Live Music Monday & Tuesday 6-9
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Caldwell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Two dining rooms are available. Chef Tim Caldwell will work with you to create a unique menu for your event.
- Private Party Contact: A. J. Bruno 9787459335x
- Entertainment: Jazz brunch every Sunday with live music beginning at noon.
Acoustic Music Monday & Tuesday 6-9
A word from Grapevine
The Grapevine would like to invite you to a genuinely unique experience. A Mediterranean Kitchen & Wine Bar, The Grapevine brings together old world values and a new world vision. Chef Tim Caldwell passionately creates exceptional Northern Mediterranean fare with an emphasis on local ingredients and slow food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Grapevine - Best Restaurants in Salem, MA ›
Grapevine reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (35)neighborhood gem (29)special occasion (26)romantic (26)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (21)good for groups (18)scenic view (10)great for brunch (7)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- baddiningDined on 8/10/2014Three of us were there for dinner, and we all thought it was horrible! I had the scallops with roasted potatoes and lentils. The scallops were cooked well, but THREE scallops for $28???!! The potatoes were so underdone, they were almost raw. and the lentils were like bullets. The salads were o.k., but small and not especially fresh. The ambience was fine; nothing wrong, but nothing exceptional. The place was almost empty, yet the service, while attentive, was notably slow. With so many excellent restaurants in Salem, we don't expect that this place will be around for too long.
- DedeeVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had an early dinner here after a visit to the PEM. We were nicely surprised at the excellent experience we had. The outside is nothing fancy, but the food was outstanding, the service excellent and we loved sitting outside in the early evening. I was especially pleased with the 1/2 orders of some dishes. I like to try a variety of dishes and had the mussels, arugula salad, pasta with shrimp and could enjoy all three with smaller portions and good prices. We'll definitely return on our next visit to Salem.Special Features:
- Wonderful FindVinceVIPDined on 8/10/2014Brunch here was very much out of the ordinary and very good. The Bloody Mary's prior were perfectly spiced. The steak with the poached eggs excellent.Special Features:
- Great find!dine4pleasureDined on 8/9/2014We have been going here for many, many years. Ownership changed about 18 mos ago but they kept much of what we loved. Highest quality food, pleasant and informed staff, nice ambience. The expanded outdoor space is super, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoggieDined on 8/2/2014Very nice atmosphere. The server is attentive and food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotnoneDined on 7/25/2014Sitting out on the patio was a treat. And they had a lovely duo for entertainment.Special Features:
- A great transformationmmerrimanDined on 7/25/2014We haven't been to the grapevine in a few years and was pleasantly surprised at the transformation they undertook. The outdoor dining patio is beautiful. The menu has been simplified with some fantastic offerings. The drink list is creative. Service was top notch. Keep up the great workSpecial Features:
- Local and lovableAttyMikeDined on 7/18/2014Great place to get a great bite to eat. Small menu, big portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great timeljlblueVIPDined on 7/18/2014As usual the service, atmosphere and food were great! This has become one of our favorite places to eat. The service is always great and now we can sit back out on the patio. They have a great menu to start, but then the specials are even better. I always think I know what I am going to get but then they grass the specials or I see something else come out of the kitchen and I change my mind. Definitely a place to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- limitedgordoDined on 7/18/2014the menu is so limited would not hurry back..the shrimp appetizer was not that great as the shrimp were quite small and under done and when we told the waiter they didn't seem to careSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite placesmhcrockettVIPDined on 7/16/2014Beautiful restaurant with garden seating. Favorites on the menu are seafood chopino, scallops, steak tartare, mediterraian plate. There are small tasting plates worth trying and a nice bar. Decent private parking for Salem. A neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/13/2014Really enjoyed and our meal....our waiter was fabulous...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marcoDined on 7/8/2014We truly enjoyed the service and quality of food, great place and I would highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/8/2014My wife and I had eaten at the "old" grapevine many times over the past 10 years. This was our initial visit under the new ownership. We were not disappointed. The owner Harry personally gave us the table of our choosing and the evening went only higher. Love good wine lists that offer diversity and are consumer friendly. This list does both. Finally settled on a 2007 Rioja Reserve from Spain. The menu was selective but included something for everyone. Found the salads, veggies,pasta and seafood to be extremely fresh and flavorful. Nothing overcooked here. Portions were sizeable so we had no room for dessert but will splurge on our next visit. That is correct, this is definitely a 'RETURNER".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good friends, good food, good timesophieDined on 7/7/2014Four friends looking for opportunity to get out, relax, enjoy good food, drinks and each others company. The Grapevine worked to perfection. It was a Monday night, so very quiet in the restaurant which was perfect as we could hear each other without screaming over the noise. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Food allergy was accommodated without fuss. Food was excellent, as was the recommended wine. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation CelebrationrajistanDined on 7/5/2014We were on vacation in the Glouceter / Salem area. I did not want to eat in the busy pier area. This was off to the side , but still offered a great experience. The food was great. The goat cheese gnocchi was splendid. The kids ordered the special of the day which was the lobster risotto. That was less of a hit and lacked the substance of the other dishes. My kids who are 15 and 13 had a great experience. Parking was a plus. Service was very good. The hostess and serving assistant / bus boy(girl) were very helpful and added to the pleasant atmosphere. I would definitely go here again. The bread pudding is worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eec123Dined on 7/5/2014Been there a number of time and never disappointed. The outdoor terrace (new to us) was fantastic; secluded with a fine view. Super chef! If you come from afar you might want to check the menu to make sure that there is something that strikes your fancy. Very good wine list. Obviously some one cares.Special Features:
- Unique Dining ExperienceLarryBVIPDined on 7/1/2014Grapevine is a wonderful place to have a meal. We were impressed by the quality of the food and service, and especially by the extensive wine list. We started with oysters, which were fresh and delicious. We then had the Beet and Caesar salads, both of which were very impressive. For entrees, we chose the fish "stew" and the pork. Food was fresh, expertly prepared, well-presented, and utterly delicious. Service was friendly, professional, and perfectly-paced. The wine list is extensive, with excellent selections from France, Italy, Spain, and the US. We spoke with the owner and found he was formerly in the wine business. If you have the opportunity to dine here, don't miss the chance - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- great dinnerdaverkptDined on 6/30/2014an ideal dining experience. great food great service. a wonderful summer evening!
- Amazing 10th Anniversary Dinner!CarinDined on 6/28/2014We had been frequent customers of the Grapevine a few years ago. When planning our 10th wedding anniversary dinner, I wanted to return to what was always a special restaurant for us. I learned that the Grapevine was under new ownership and hoped that it would still be a great as we remembered it to be. We have an incredible meal, made even more special by our server, Cassandra, and the owner, Harry. They went above and beyond to make it an extra special night for us, gifting us a bottle of wine and dessert! For those that have not been to the Grapevine for a while, run back!Special Features:
- A Salem TreatSteveVIPDined on 6/28/2014We took the Fast Ferry from Boston to Salem for dinner there. We used the Open Table ratings to choose Grapevine, and we were not disappointed. We let the host know that we'd have to get back on the ferry in just 75 minutes, and they said no problem. I started with a gin martini called Cucumbersome - awesome! Then we shared a seared tuna and skewered shrimp appetizer that was generous and sufficient for two. Afterward, I had the sopa de pescado, a seafood-laden soup which was delicious. My wife had a locally-sourced sea bass which was perfectly done. Sadly, no time for dessert. But the waiter had our check to our table in minutes, and we made the ferry for the return trip to Boston. All in all a wonderful treat. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grapevine SalemOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/26/2014Night started @ bar w/ bartender, Patty. Very friendly, welcoming. Great pour on the drinks! Dinner fabulous- steak tartare- to die for ! Service - prompt, nonintrusive, accommodating. By chance- open mike night- great entertainment. We had a fabulous night! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice evening with friendsNemayDined on 6/21/2014If you enjoy good food with equally good wine this is a restaurant you will enjoy. It helps that the owner is also available as a sommelier.Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsNELTDined on 6/8/2014We chose this restaurant to fit into other activities of the day and because of the reviews it had previously received. The food was good without being spectacular, the kitchen were very accommodating in making changes to menu items. I started with the Caramelized Brussel Sprouts which were good and well presented, the other appetizer was the PEI Mussels which got good reviews. My Chicken was well cooked, tender and moist but the Fettuccine Bolognaise did not get the best of reviews.
- new Grapevineeyeluv2dineVIPDined on 5/24/2014I had not been back since new owners took over. I very much enjoyed my chicken, but the 3 other dinners were a bit disappointed. The menu needs some additions. as it is too small.Special Features:
- Successful mother's dayfrequentfliersDined on 5/11/2014Grapevine has been a favorite of ours for many years. It's a place we frequent for a good meal in a relaxing environment. When we have guests from out of town and don't feel like going into Boston, Grapevine is our first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Eclectic menu, excellent food, friendly and attentive service. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- FullPlateVIPDined on 5/10/2014Had a great meal; excellent service. We will be back. Can't understand why there were not more people there on a Saturday night, since we thought the food and service was terrific. Not an extensive menu - but enough so that our party of four could all order something different and enjoy all of it.
- Good price, good selectionDoug67Dined on 5/10/2014Not the biggest menu, but something for everyone. Good value.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Being a repeat customer for many years, we were disappointed. The menu choices were not particularly interesting and quality was not what we were used to. Unless both revert to the previous standard, we will not return.
- The following 163 reviews are from the Grapevine reviews archive.
- never disappointsljlblueVIPDined on 4/25/2014Good and service always wonderful. They know their regular customers and treat them as familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter Delight!Lovedining123Dined on 4/20/2014We had an early reservation, we were seated at a very romantic corner table for 3. Tables are small, a pet peeve of mine, but we did not mind at all. Table was festive with flowers and jelly beans, creative. The medateranian platter was AMAZING, we loved it. Two had the special banana carmel french toast with carmelized walnuts, they were in heaven, I had the homemade sweet pea ravioli with mushrooms, lovely, with whole peas in them! We had a lovely time but can't wait to go back and order from the regular menu as this was an Easter Special Menu. Our server, do not recall his name but he was very handsome and attentive! Check this lovely spot out for yourselves, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- We will not be back soon.JtheGourmetVIPDined on 4/13/2014We will not be back soon. Excellent wine list and very interesting choices. Too bad the food isn't worth eating with it. When the new owners took over the food was inconsistent, some dishes good and some not so good. Now it is consistent - consistently poor. Out of four different main courses, all were bland or just off. Seafood was particularly poor. It would have been better to skip dinner and just drink wine at the bar. Very few diners were around which suggests word is spreading. A pure guess is that the original chef is gone or not there all the time. Poor meals constituted between 50% and 100% of what was ordered over last 4 visits. We hope the owners will recognize the problem and correct it as it has potential.
- Outstanding food & wine!LisaVIPDined on 4/10/2014The food is delicious and wine selection is outstanding! Do not misunderstand this place as it is better with the new ownership. Wine dinners are a great way to try something new and reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Enjoyable experiencePinheadVIPDined on 4/5/2014The restaurant has several lovely rooms and a quaint bar. Our server was excellent! When I couldn't decide between two pasta dishes for the main course--she resolved it by offering half portions of both! The half portions were ample--enough to bring home for a delectable leftover!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nearly Perfect RestaurantPerkinsDined on 4/3/2014The Grapevine in Salem has everything going for it: Excellent food, great service, low key, but elegant atmosphere, and the good sense to let the experience of dining out breathe. This is my third occasion there with friends and we were all very happy with the experience. Sharing the bounty, each dish we ordered had its own claim to to excellence These are the best scallops around, I believe, and the salmon was extraordinary and very delicate in its after taste. The pork chop is brine marinated, and incredibly tasty. Round this experience out with select beers and carefully thought out wines, and the Grapevine is a true gem in Salem.Special Features:
- FabulousPaulVIPDined on 3/28/2014The food and service were fantastic, as always. This is one of our favorite restaurants. We will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A long time favoriteoutnightDined on 3/15/2014The Grapevine is a favorite for us. Unlike past dinners there, the restaurant had only a few patrons. Usually, the place is full, the atmosphere warm and welcoming and the pace relaxed and enjoyable. The food is consistently terrific. The salmon was tender and flavorful, the polenta to accompany was different but complementary and the bread pudding like no other I have ever had. Wines by the bottle are plentiful and diverse, but the chardonnay by the glass, limited. The last time we were there, the bar tender was wiling to offer a half glass as a second glass, which is rare and was just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is my fourth time at GrapeVineEvamariaDined on 3/14/2014I like this place cause i don"t have to travel to Boston to get great wine selection,great quality food, I just wish their appetizer menu this time i felt was too limited , than the summer timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!VeryAngrySantaDined on 3/8/2014Thank you Mr. Zarkades! You and your team made my sister's 60th birthday dinner very special. We shall see you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.