26 Congress Street
Salem, MA 01970Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grapevinesalem.com/
- Phone: 9787459335x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch Sunday 11:30-2 Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Live Music Monday & Tuesday 6-9
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Caldwell
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Two dining rooms are available. Chef Tim Caldwell will work with you to create a unique menu for your event.
- Private Party Contact: A. J. Bruno 9787459335x
- Entertainment: Jazz brunch every Sunday with live music beginning at noon.
Acoustic Music Monday & Tuesday 6-9
A word from Grapevine
The Grapevine would like to invite you to a genuinely unique experience. A Mediterranean Kitchen & Wine Bar, The Grapevine brings together old world values and a new world vision. Chef Tim Caldwell passionately creates exceptional Northern Mediterranean fare with an emphasis on local ingredients and slow food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Grapevine - Best Restaurants in Salem, MA ›
Grapevine reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (26)neighborhood gem (26)fit for foodies (25)romantic (22)special occasion (21)notable wine list (19)good for groups (17)scenic view (9)great for brunch (6)late-night find (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Very good food & service.ChipDined on 10/17/2014I recommend the rack of lamb. I was done perfectly. Good experience for the entire family. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Terrific evening with friendsmyojewelDined on 10/15/2014We had a double date, and decided to head into Salem to explore a new restaurant - it won't be our last time. The recommended wine paired wonderfully with our meals, the service was friendly and polished, the food was delicious - it's obvious the chef knows and cares about Mediterranean food.Special Features:
- Pretty goodUWSiderDined on 10/12/2014Went for brunch. I'm not a brunch person because usually the food isn't the best the restaurant can do and I'm guessing this is the case with Grapevine. Fantastic bloody mary's but overall it's pretty expensive for rather ordinary food. Had they had a set brunch price that included at least one cocktail, I would have given this a much higher rating. 4 people: 3 entrees, 1 appetizer and 7 cocktails and it was $180.
- Great foodTomiDined on 10/11/2014Menú was not too extensive but what we ordered was great. Good salad and bread.Special Features:
- Just a perfect night of food!!CheriamoreDined on 10/9/2014Great food. Awesome service different apps....loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super in SalemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014We just spent a pre-Halloween weekend in Salem with the grandchildren. Grapevine was the perfect place for a family dinner before the spooky trolley ride. Friendly staff, kids' menu, excellent list of both adult and child beverages, tasty selections and speedy service. Both children and adults appreciated the special touches. highly recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grapevine has great food!BarbDined on 9/22/2014This was a restaurant that was recommended to us by a Salem resident. Unfortunately, we came on a night when there were 2 large groups that were using most of the restaurant space. We ate in the bar area, which was fine with us. However, the seating was cramped, and we didn't get to see the rest of the restaurant. Our server, who was also the bartender, was wonderful. He helped us make great wine and meal selections and was very attentive without hovering. The manager was also very welcoming. Our food was great, and we enjoyed our evening. Our rating is based on the fact that we didn't get to experience everything about this restaurant. Otherwise, I probably would have rated it 5 stars across the board!Special Features:
- Rumor has it still a greatDavisDined on 9/19/2014We have been eating at the grapevine for the last 20 years dinner on Friday night was excellent as usualSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, served warm. Not hot.MJF3VIPDined on 9/9/2014Grapevine had a nice small caesar salad, good crusty bread, and pleasant service that did a good job keeping the water glasses filled. The main dishes were good, and featured good amounts of seafood (two had a pasta dish, and one had a lobster gnocchi), but all of the meals were served luke-warm, rather than piping hot. Family members tell me they've had the same issue on other visits.
- Great meal on outdoor patioDinnerwareDined on 8/30/2014This was a first visit to grapevine for all of us in our party of three. The salads were exceptional and we all ordered the seared scallops which were perfection. The service was attentive and the outdoor patio perfect for an early evening late summer meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect setting1on1togetherDined on 8/30/2014We came for an early dinner after the PEM. The restaurant inside has an understated and friendly elegance. A beautiful day though so we are outside in the patio which was perfect for us. The only issues were my steak ordered Med rare came out medium and a seafood dish came with a bacon garnish on the lentils after it was ordered without. Service was okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- baddiningDined on 8/10/2014Three of us were there for dinner, and we all thought it was horrible! I had the scallops with roasted potatoes and lentils. The scallops were cooked well, but THREE scallops for $28???!! The potatoes were so underdone, they were almost raw. and the lentils were like bullets. The salads were o.k., but small and not especially fresh. The ambience was fine; nothing wrong, but nothing exceptional. The place was almost empty, yet the service, while attentive, was notably slow. With so many excellent restaurants in Salem, we don't expect that this place will be around for too long.
- DedeeVIPDined on 8/10/2014We had an early dinner here after a visit to the PEM. We were nicely surprised at the excellent experience we had. The outside is nothing fancy, but the food was outstanding, the service excellent and we loved sitting outside in the early evening. I was especially pleased with the 1/2 orders of some dishes. I like to try a variety of dishes and had the mussels, arugula salad, pasta with shrimp and could enjoy all three with smaller portions and good prices. We'll definitely return on our next visit to Salem.Special Features:
- Wonderful FindVinceVIPDined on 8/10/2014Brunch here was very much out of the ordinary and very good. The Bloody Mary's prior were perfectly spiced. The steak with the poached eggs excellent.Special Features:
- Great find!dine4pleasureDined on 8/9/2014We have been going here for many, many years. Ownership changed about 18 mos ago but they kept much of what we loved. Highest quality food, pleasant and informed staff, nice ambience. The expanded outdoor space is super, as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RoggieDined on 8/2/2014Very nice atmosphere. The server is attentive and food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotnoneDined on 7/25/2014Sitting out on the patio was a treat. And they had a lovely duo for entertainment.Special Features:
- A great transformationmmerrimanDined on 7/25/2014We haven't been to the grapevine in a few years and was pleasantly surprised at the transformation they undertook. The outdoor dining patio is beautiful. The menu has been simplified with some fantastic offerings. The drink list is creative. Service was top notch. Keep up the great workSpecial Features:
- Local and lovableAttyMikeDined on 7/18/2014Great place to get a great bite to eat. Small menu, big portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another great timeljlblueVIPDined on 7/18/2014As usual the service, atmosphere and food were great! This has become one of our favorite places to eat. The service is always great and now we can sit back out on the patio. They have a great menu to start, but then the specials are even better. I always think I know what I am going to get but then they grass the specials or I see something else come out of the kitchen and I change my mind. Definitely a place to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- limitedgordoDined on 7/18/2014the menu is so limited would not hurry back..the shrimp appetizer was not that great as the shrimp were quite small and under done and when we told the waiter they didn't seem to careSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorite placesmhcrockettVIPDined on 7/16/2014Beautiful restaurant with garden seating. Favorites on the menu are seafood chopino, scallops, steak tartare, mediterraian plate. There are small tasting plates worth trying and a nice bar. Decent private parking for Salem. A neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/13/2014Really enjoyed and our meal....our waiter was fabulous...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marcoDined on 7/8/2014We truly enjoyed the service and quality of food, great place and I would highly recommend itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/8/2014My wife and I had eaten at the "old" grapevine many times over the past 10 years. This was our initial visit under the new ownership. We were not disappointed. The owner Harry personally gave us the table of our choosing and the evening went only higher. Love good wine lists that offer diversity and are consumer friendly. This list does both. Finally settled on a 2007 Rioja Reserve from Spain. The menu was selective but included something for everyone. Found the salads, veggies,pasta and seafood to be extremely fresh and flavorful. Nothing overcooked here. Portions were sizeable so we had no room for dessert but will splurge on our next visit. That is correct, this is definitely a 'RETURNER".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good friends, good food, good timesophieDined on 7/7/2014Four friends looking for opportunity to get out, relax, enjoy good food, drinks and each others company. The Grapevine worked to perfection. It was a Monday night, so very quiet in the restaurant which was perfect as we could hear each other without screaming over the noise. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Food allergy was accommodated without fuss. Food was excellent, as was the recommended wine. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation CelebrationrajistanDined on 7/5/2014We were on vacation in the Glouceter / Salem area. I did not want to eat in the busy pier area. This was off to the side , but still offered a great experience. The food was great. The goat cheese gnocchi was splendid. The kids ordered the special of the day which was the lobster risotto. That was less of a hit and lacked the substance of the other dishes. My kids who are 15 and 13 had a great experience. Parking was a plus. Service was very good. The hostess and serving assistant / bus boy(girl) were very helpful and added to the pleasant atmosphere. I would definitely go here again. The bread pudding is worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eec123Dined on 7/5/2014Been there a number of time and never disappointed. The outdoor terrace (new to us) was fantastic; secluded with a fine view. Super chef! If you come from afar you might want to check the menu to make sure that there is something that strikes your fancy. Very good wine list. Obviously some one cares.Special Features:
- Unique Dining ExperienceLarryBVIPDined on 7/1/2014Grapevine is a wonderful place to have a meal. We were impressed by the quality of the food and service, and especially by the extensive wine list. We started with oysters, which were fresh and delicious. We then had the Beet and Caesar salads, both of which were very impressive. For entrees, we chose the fish "stew" and the pork. Food was fresh, expertly prepared, well-presented, and utterly delicious. Service was friendly, professional, and perfectly-paced. The wine list is extensive, with excellent selections from France, Italy, Spain, and the US. We spoke with the owner and found he was formerly in the wine business. If you have the opportunity to dine here, don't miss the chance - you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- great dinnerdaverkptDined on 6/30/2014an ideal dining experience. great food great service. a wonderful summer evening!
- Amazing 10th Anniversary Dinner!CarinDined on 6/28/2014We had been frequent customers of the Grapevine a few years ago. When planning our 10th wedding anniversary dinner, I wanted to return to what was always a special restaurant for us. I learned that the Grapevine was under new ownership and hoped that it would still be a great as we remembered it to be. We have an incredible meal, made even more special by our server, Cassandra, and the owner, Harry. They went above and beyond to make it an extra special night for us, gifting us a bottle of wine and dessert! For those that have not been to the Grapevine for a while, run back!Special Features:
- A Salem TreatSteveVIPDined on 6/28/2014We took the Fast Ferry from Boston to Salem for dinner there. We used the Open Table ratings to choose Grapevine, and we were not disappointed. We let the host know that we'd have to get back on the ferry in just 75 minutes, and they said no problem. I started with a gin martini called Cucumbersome - awesome! Then we shared a seared tuna and skewered shrimp appetizer that was generous and sufficient for two. Afterward, I had the sopa de pescado, a seafood-laden soup which was delicious. My wife had a locally-sourced sea bass which was perfectly done. Sadly, no time for dessert. But the waiter had our check to our table in minutes, and we made the ferry for the return trip to Boston. All in all a wonderful treat. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grapevine SalemOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/26/2014Night started @ bar w/ bartender, Patty. Very friendly, welcoming. Great pour on the drinks! Dinner fabulous- steak tartare- to die for ! Service - prompt, nonintrusive, accommodating. By chance- open mike night- great entertainment. We had a fabulous night! We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 172 reviews are from the Grapevine reviews archive.
- A very nice evening with friendsNemayDined on 6/21/2014If you enjoy good food with equally good wine this is a restaurant you will enjoy. It helps that the owner is also available as a sommelier.Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsNELTDined on 6/8/2014We chose this restaurant to fit into other activities of the day and because of the reviews it had previously received. The food was good without being spectacular, the kitchen were very accommodating in making changes to menu items. I started with the Caramelized Brussel Sprouts which were good and well presented, the other appetizer was the PEI Mussels which got good reviews. My Chicken was well cooked, tender and moist but the Fettuccine Bolognaise did not get the best of reviews.
- new Grapevineeyeluv2dineVIPDined on 5/24/2014I had not been back since new owners took over. I very much enjoyed my chicken, but the 3 other dinners were a bit disappointed. The menu needs some additions. as it is too small.Special Features:
- Successful mother's dayfrequentfliersDined on 5/11/2014Grapevine has been a favorite of ours for many years. It's a place we frequent for a good meal in a relaxing environment. When we have guests from out of town and don't feel like going into Boston, Grapevine is our first choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Eclectic menu, excellent food, friendly and attentive service. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- FullPlateVIPDined on 5/10/2014Had a great meal; excellent service. We will be back. Can't understand why there were not more people there on a Saturday night, since we thought the food and service was terrific. Not an extensive menu - but enough so that our party of four could all order something different and enjoy all of it.
- Good price, good selectionDoug67Dined on 5/10/2014Not the biggest menu, but something for everyone. Good value.Special Features: