4865 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grapeseedbistro.com/
- Phone: 3019869592
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Heineman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Grapeseed is sure to become your favorite destination for all of your special events. Whether you are planning an intimate dinner in our Wine Room, a group of up to 34 in our Private Dining Room or reserving the entire restaurant for your special event Grapeseed has a room to fit your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Forest 8772504730
- Special Events: Please join our mailing list on our website for up incoming events and specials!
- Cross Street: between Norfolk and Woodmont
- Public Transit: Grapeseed is located 1/2 mile from the Bethesda Metro stop on the Red Line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Grapeseed is conveniently located near 3 public parking garages, there is ample street parking, and we offer valet parking for $7.
A word from Grapeseed
Grapeseed American Bistro is a casual bistro that matches great food and wine together. With anywhere from 80 to 100 wines by the glass and approximately 325 bottle listed, we cater to the novice wine lover and to the experienced. We start with a bottle of wine and pick out the characteristics and nuances of the wine and then award winning Chef Jeffrey Heineman creates a menu item to highlight the flavors of the wine. So come in and relax, have a taste or a glass of wine and try something on our ever-changing menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Grapeseed - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Grapeseed reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)notable wine list (26)special occasion (23)neighborhood gem (20)good for groups (12)romantic (11)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Consistently good foodGeriDined on 8/22/2014As always, the food and service were excellent. The people in our party had the mushroom polenta, gnocchi,fried oysters and crispy shrimp appetizers. For the main course we had the salmon and risotto dishes. Each of us truly enjoyed our meals. This is a place we intend to return to more frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldtimer88Dined on 8/16/2014We were delighted with our meal, and are so glad we finally visited this wonderful restaurant. As my huband said, the chef really knows what he/she is doing! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014It's a great restaurant week place to go, because they offer the whole menu (and only a few items have up-charges on them). The new cocktails on the menu are great! And the portions are very large, which is a rare and welcome treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great ambienceAngb77Dined on 8/15/2014We decided to try Grapeseed because it was doing Restaurant Week. Even with that, it's expensive. The food was fairly interesting, the service was on the slow side but okay. My main complaint was with the atmosphere - the decor is basically nonexistent and the chairs are these cheap, ugly metal jobs. Despite the fact the restauarant was not full and we had a reservation we were seated in what looked like a function room,that had four glowing red exit signs and a wall mounted flatscreen TV (turned off) with a cord hanging out the side. Anyone who walks in the place will immediately see what I mean. The atmosphere is not a lively one and it's just not decorated at all. So weird.Special Features:
- FoodophileFoodophileDined on 8/14/2014Wine lists must be updated! Grapeseed? Really? What happened? Heard you used to have three wine lists. Where are they?Special Features:
- Amazing dinnerMcIeatsDined on 8/11/2014The food was fabulous. The staff very attentive. Wine pairings, at least the one I had, not anything special; recommend you go with own choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grape seed bistroCakeloverDined on 8/9/2014Very good food but expensive. I was surprised to see several families with small children there--there is no kids' menu and the portions of what we had, anyway, aren't really big enough to share.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but priceyCatherineDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed a nice dinner with some good friends last night. Appetizers were good, dinner was good, wine very good but must say I didn't feel we got a good value for the money spent. At over $300 for 4 people I just felt it was a bit pricey. It's not that we left hungry and in full disclosure, we ordered 2 drinks each, 2 appetizers for all of us, 4 entrees total and 1 dessert but still can't say I felt at the end of the meal that it was a good value. Sorry Grapeseed!Special Features:
- Very good experience at GrapeseedgolfkingVIPDined on 7/25/2014Been here a number of times. This time was very good. The service was good and attentive. the food was prepared very well and tasted good. The wine list is good and they have a number of wines by the glass. It is nice to try different wines. Overall a very good experience. We will go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- , Sauces too expensive.LovebirdDined on 7/24/2014Good clean location. Tenderloin delicious. NY strip ... It could be better. Desert outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steady as She Goes in BethesdaanonymousbrunetteDined on 7/19/2014Grapeseed has always delivered wonderful food. A great meat selection and perfectly executed mains. Unfortunately the disinterested service still (over the course of the last eight years) falls short of their culinary achievement. The menu design is outdated and takes a moment to visually order, the lighting bright, and the overall experience unimpressive. We've always felt as though they have so much potential but they keep missing the mark on seemingly basic things (staff enthusiasm, clever dining options, ambiance.) Sad to say that it was near empty on a Saturday night. Aside, they've nailed it on the music front.Special Features:
- Lost its mojoBethesdaFoodCriticVIPDined on 7/1/2014used to be fine, now dreary. Wine list is only bright spot.
- Not what it used to besequoiaVIPDined on 6/28/2014I used to frequent Grapeseed 6-8 years ago. Used to love their food and wonderful wine list and the fact that their wines by the glass were excellent and varied. I have been there twice in the last 6 months and both times I was disappointed with the food. Two of our dishes were too greasy (korean beef and fried shrimp). And the menu selections unexciting. Moreover the descriptions in the menu were inaccurate or misleading. The wine selection continues to be good and the service too. It's sad to see this restaurant has lost its edge.Special Features:
- Fancy Food/Relaxed AmbienceJCBethesdaDined on 5/30/2014We went to Grapeseed hoping for a delicious and creative meal in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. We got what we came for. The food is excellent. The portions are perfect (generous, but not overwhelming), the choices varied. The chef makes good use of local ingredients and the combinations are inspired. The atmosphere is friendly (not at all stuffy), very casual, neighborhood feel. We loved our server (friendly, capable, attentive, not intrusive), space was very comfortable and we lingered at our table for quite a while after dinner. The wine selection was another plus -- lots of interesting choices and most dishes (including desserts) are listed with a recommended pairing, which I love! We had a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Yummy!paokansasVIPDined on 5/27/2014Great special Tuesday lunch of soft shelled crab sandwich. Delicious! Saving Tuesdays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food quality varied in prepOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014Ingredients are high quality, but of our three diners, one had dishes previously eaten at Grapeseed and they were just not as well prepared. It was disappointing. The other dishes were up to par. Given the prices, it makes me wary of returning. That said, the wine matches are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value lunchDCGourmetVIPDined on 5/13/2014They have a $10 lunch special now, which was an excellent value.Special Features:
- A Special Mother's Day brunchVandigoDined on 5/11/2014We took advantage of a special that Grapeseed offerred through its e-mail list. It was not the first time we did this; these specials are special, indeed. This was for a prix fixe Mother's Day brunch. The first course was a biscuiit, granola, and fruit. The main course included numerous options. The shrimp and grits was excellent, eggs Chesapeake--with crab meat--and a hamburger were also quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ridiculously overpricedAnonymousDined on 5/11/2014I took my mother for their Mother's Day brunch and it was a travesty. On the menu, they promised a family sized serving of biscuits, fruit, yogurt and granola. What arrived at our table was two dry and nearly burnt "biscuits" which were more akin to pieces of cornbread. There was maybe three spoonfuls of yogurt, a handful of granola and a handful of fruit. In fact, it appeared that they took one strawberry and cut it into several tiny pieces. It was definitely not worth the 30 dollars per person that they charged. The entree was okay but definitely not a toe curler. All in all, I would not recommend them. I felt completely short changed and the meal was not at all memorable.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/11/2014I took my mother here for Mothers' Day brunch. Service was abominable. Although there were only two other parties in the restaurant when we arrived, it took more than 10 minutes for the waiter to come over to take our drink order. There were long long waits between the courses. Crabcake was burned on the bottom. Eggs Chesapeake were barely lukewarm when served, eggs over cooked, and the english muffins they were on had an odd, unpleasant consistency and were tasteless. At $30 a person for fixed price menu, would have been nice not to have been charged an additional $2.50 each for coffee and tea. I can understand charging for alcoholic drinks but not normal brunch beverages. Not at all a good value. Won't try again.
- Brunch not their thingMonicaDined on 5/11/2014We have eaten dinner at Grapeseed a number of times and the food is outstanding. Grapeseed seemed to have missed the mark for their usual standards of excellence at brunch this past Sunday. Stick with Grapeseed for dinner; we've had some great nights there with groups in their special event rooms.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing second visiteat2loveDined on 5/3/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to Grapeseed with a friend. The second visit, not so much. The service was inattentive and slow, my bass was over-salted, and my friend's chicken was so-so. Especially considering the price of the entrees, I expected more.
- The following 1302 reviews are from the Grapeseed reviews archive.
- an old favoritefoodielizDined on 4/22/2014As always, I had a wonderful dining experience at Grapeseed. I will go back time and time again.Special Features:
- Wonderful BrunchAnitaDined on 4/20/2014For this Easter, Chef Jeff whipped up a marvelous brunch. It had everything from granola and fresh fruit to eggs Chesapeake with an orange hollandaise sauce. The hangover potatoes were a special throw in treat. Davan, our server, was there when you wanted him and gone when you didn't. I only have one negative to offer. If you have difficulty walking, don't go on the special occasions. Grapeseed normally has valet parking but they don't on Sunday's and Bethesda's infrastructure is notoriously hostile to people with disabilities. Chef Jeff accommodated us very well but one can't count on that all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service, below average foodOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/20/2014We went here for Easter brunch with some friends. It was empty - 2 tables of 4 or 5 people (including us) and it took them FORVER to bring our appetizers - almost an hour. I think they forgot they were part of the menu and brought them sooo late we were starving. Then when they remembered they brought everything all at once and there were so many plates there was no room on the table for everything. we had to ask for coffee probably 5 times, and only got refilled 2 times. Either the restaurant wasn't ready to open when they said they were or there was some major malfunction in the kitchen. They weren't able to make the side potatoes without bacon, so we were forced to order fries, which were mostly burnt and tasted like salt sticks.
- A nice return to GrapeseedmaudeabbottDined on 4/19/2014We had not been there in some time. The menu offers some interesting choices. I appetizers are generous and provide some diverse flavors. The service was prompt, and not intrusive. We enjoyed a pleasant dinner.
- Great dinner- be Flexible w/ eventsHappyVIPDined on 4/10/2014Love Grapeseed, its a great place with consistent food a diverse wine list. I had the salmon- perfectly cooked and the little gem salad (we needed a bit more dressing). The apple "pie" was a great surprise and conclusion! I like trying the recommended wine if I am not familiar with it. They usually have something quite interesting- in this case Mothers Milk which was delightful. I happened to be there during an event so the noise level was very high and service was challenged- for those of us not at the event. I rated the ambience and service as modest for that reason. Won't stop me from going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekday lingerLMcADined on 4/9/2014My friend and I enjoyed nice salads, a glass of wine, excellent salmon and scallop dishes, and lingered over cappuccinos for several hours before leaving. The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive and we were able to catch up on several years of conversation. Window seats, valet parking, busy tables but not too noisy. Perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior meal, pleasant ambience.bobrVIPDined on 4/5/2014Charcuterie is a nice appetizer choice, though serving was a bit skimpy on rabbit terrine. Fried oysters were delicious but seemed to be missing the bacon. Cod particularly fine as main course. We skipped dessert. Suggestion: bite-size desserts for those whare are fully satisfied but want to end on a sweet note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine and FoodChrisPDined on 3/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Grapeseed. Fresh, up-scale atmosphere, excellent wine selection, and top-notch food. We highly receommend Grapeseed for a sophisticated, fun night out on the town.Special Features:
- Happy to have dined here!PuttyDined on 3/22/2014I have not been back to Grapeseed in many years....I wish I had. My wife and I had a wonderful meal and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- DependableWayneVIPDined on 3/18/2014Great meal - excellent wine. OK service for a single server who also happens to be bar tending as well as hosting Was wondering where the manager was that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened ?JBeeVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had not dined at Grapeseed for about 9 mos. and what a dissappointment. They always had great food and service. The soup was served 30 minutes after we ordered and was luke warm. The dry aged steak was tough and not cooked to the temp requested. We received sides that were not the ones we ordered. We got there at 7 pm and our food was not served until 8:20 and all of this going on under the nose of the Chef/Owner.....I'd hate to dine there when he was absent !Special Features:
- Lovely mid-week lunch withfamilydinerDined on 3/13/2014Lovely mid-week lunch with surprisingly large selection of unique items with great wine pairings. Very affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies dinnerShaomeinDined on 3/10/2014One of my girlfriends and I met up for a last minute early dinner on a Monday night. The place was kind of empty but the food and wine were amaze balls. We had the Korean BBQ appetizer which was spicy and so good. We shared the salmon and the crab cakes...followed by the Greek yogurt cheesecake. Literally every single one of the plates on the table was licked clean. Such good food and nice portions so you don't feel too full and you can enjoy your meal. Love love love this place. And our server tyrese(sp?) was so knowledgable and really nice. All around a great experience. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grapeseed -- one of Bethesda's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Grapeseed has been one of Bethesda's and D.C.'s best restaurants for 20 years. It continues to be one of the very best and also freshens up the menu and beverage list frequently. I live in Bethesda and my wife and I eat out in the area once or twice a week. We return to Grapeseed often, especially for special events like a good friend's retirement celebration for this visit. They have an excellent wine list and offer great wine by-the glass. The menu and execution are both outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grapeseed in bethesdakellysDined on 2/22/2014dinner was fabulous and the service and atmosphere friendly. would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFrankDined on 2/22/2014The new steak menu was off the charts good, better than Morton's and capital grille. Ten points!Special Features:
- Spot onTLATLADined on 2/22/2014Always enjoy our visits here, been too long since our last visit. As always, food was wonderful, service spot on. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Dinner with FriendswineisbestDined on 2/22/2014We all enjoyed our dinner & wine that evening. Waiter was kind enough to let one of my quests try three wines before she found the one she liked. Service was great and the scallops were cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.