4865 Cordell Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grapeseedbistro.com/
- Phone: 3019869592
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jeffrey Heineman
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Grapeseed is sure to become your favorite destination for all of your special events. Whether you are planning an intimate dinner in our Wine Room, a group of up to 34 in our Private Dining Room or reserving the entire restaurant for your special event Grapeseed has a room to fit your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Patrick Forest 8772504730
- Special Events: Please join our mailing list on our website for up incoming events and specials!
- Cross Street: between Norfolk and Woodmont
- Public Transit: Grapeseed is located 1/2 mile from the Bethesda Metro stop on the Red Line.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Grapeseed is conveniently located near 3 public parking garages, there is ample street parking, and we offer valet parking for $7.
A word from Grapeseed
Grapeseed American Bistro is a casual bistro that matches great food and wine together. With anywhere from 80 to 100 wines by the glass and approximately 325 bottle listed, we cater to the novice wine lover and to the experienced. We start with a bottle of wine and pick out the characteristics and nuances of the wine and then award winning Chef Jeffrey Heineman creates a menu item to highlight the flavors of the wine. So come in and relax, have a taste or a glass of wine and try something on our ever-changing menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Grapeseed - Best Restaurants in Bethesda / Chevy Chase ›
Grapeseed reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (32)notable wine list (29)neighborhood gem (26)special occasion (22)good for groups (14)romantic (14)great for lunch (9)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Superior meal, pleasant ambience.bobrVIPDined on 4/5/2014Charcuterie is a nice appetizer choice, though serving was a bit skimpy on rabbit terrine. Fried oysters were delicious but seemed to be missing the bacon. Cod particularly fine as main course. We skipped dessert. Suggestion: bite-size desserts for those whare are fully satisfied but want to end on a sweet note.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wine and FoodChrisPDined on 3/29/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our experience at Grapeseed. Fresh, up-scale atmosphere, excellent wine selection, and top-notch food. We highly receommend Grapeseed for a sophisticated, fun night out on the town.Special Features:
- Happy to have dined here!PuttyVIPDined on 3/22/2014I have not been back to Grapeseed in many years....I wish I had. My wife and I had a wonderful meal and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- DependableWayneVIPDined on 3/18/2014Great meal - excellent wine. OK service for a single server who also happens to be bar tending as well as hosting Was wondering where the manager was that evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Happened ?JBeeVIPDined on 3/15/2014We had not dined at Grapeseed for about 9 mos. and what a dissappointment. They always had great food and service. The soup was served 30 minutes after we ordered and was luke warm. The dry aged steak was tough and not cooked to the temp requested. We received sides that were not the ones we ordered. We got there at 7 pm and our food was not served until 8:20 and all of this going on under the nose of the Chef/Owner.....I'd hate to dine there when he was absent !Special Features:
- Lovely mid-week lunch withfamilydinerDined on 3/13/2014Lovely mid-week lunch with surprisingly large selection of unique items with great wine pairings. Very affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ladies dinnerShaomeinDined on 3/10/2014One of my girlfriends and I met up for a last minute early dinner on a Monday night. The place was kind of empty but the food and wine were amaze balls. We had the Korean BBQ appetizer which was spicy and so good. We shared the salmon and the crab cakes...followed by the Greek yogurt cheesecake. Literally every single one of the plates on the table was licked clean. Such good food and nice portions so you don't feel too full and you can enjoy your meal. Love love love this place. And our server tyrese(sp?) was so knowledgable and really nice. All around a great experience. Definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grapeseed -- one of Bethesda's bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2014Grapeseed has been one of Bethesda's and D.C.'s best restaurants for 20 years. It continues to be one of the very best and also freshens up the menu and beverage list frequently. I live in Bethesda and my wife and I eat out in the area once or twice a week. We return to Grapeseed often, especially for special events like a good friend's retirement celebration for this visit. They have an excellent wine list and offer great wine by-the glass. The menu and execution are both outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grapeseed in bethesdakellysDined on 2/22/2014dinner was fabulous and the service and atmosphere friendly. would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFrankDined on 2/22/2014The new steak menu was off the charts good, better than Morton's and capital grille. Ten points!Special Features:
- Spot onTLATLADined on 2/22/2014Always enjoy our visits here, been too long since our last visit. As always, food was wonderful, service spot on. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening Dinner with FriendswineisbestDined on 2/22/2014We all enjoyed our dinner & wine that evening. Waiter was kind enough to let one of my quests try three wines before she found the one she liked. Service was great and the scallops were cooked just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New steakhouse options were greatYummDined on 2/21/2014We've been here many times but this was our first time trying out the steakhouse menu. As with every other visit to Grapeseed, the food was fantastic.Special Features:
- Fine food, fine winejamesDined on 2/19/2014No complaints. Prices were a bit high but normal for the area. The food was very well prepared and portions were reasonable. The wine was not too expensive (for a restaurant) with a very good selection.Special Features:
- Although the price was a bitFoodieindenialDined on 2/18/2014Although the price was a bit high, I felt that it was worth it for a special occasion. The service from the waiters reminded me of when I ate in Europe, in, that, I did not feel rushed. They were not hovering over us but were always available when needed. The food was excellent and I was amazed at the wide range of flavors. I don't normally love chicken breast but the one that I ate won a place in my heart as it was so juicy and succulent. I was tempted to ask them for their secret. My food choices were limited due to my gluten-free diet. However, the staff was able to work with me so that I could partake of some gluten-free choices. Overall, my boyfriend and I had a wonderful time and would return on a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So/soBethesdafoodieDined on 1/25/2014Entrees were great - appetizers were not. We ordered a cheese plate for desert which ended up being sliced Cracker Barrel. Would not recommend. Service was great.
- Always a charmTMacVIPDined on 1/25/2014Only my second time at Grapeseed but up to my expectations based on the first visit. Interesting menu that provides ample choices to satisfy anyone's pallet. Had to skip dessert, knowing I'd be back!Special Features:
- Crispy chicken livers - good,JeffDined on 1/18/2014Crispy chicken livers - good, glad we tried them. Korean BBQ beef tips - pass, eggplant/nut to actual beef tip ratio is probably 5:1. Crab cakes - so so. The sauce was awesome, crab cakes had a little too much filler for someone from MD. Mahi mahi - pretty good Apple crisp - good apple crisp Greek yogurt cheesecake - this was very good, the honey and peanut brittle dust on it was a great compliment to the Greek yogurt flavor. Slightly disappointing that we were stuck in the front corner against two glass walls, especially bad with it less than 30 degrees. We had a reservation and there were open two person booths in the much quieter back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Superiorschlitz1211Dined on 1/18/2014Visited during restaurant week, with the 3 course special and the food was no less amazing than every other time I have been. I had the scallops which were perfectly done, but was ogling the pork chop that my friend ordered. I was lucky enough to be allowed a taste, and it was delicious. I was wishing I had ordered that, which considering how much I love the scallops is saying something. Our other friend went with the highly recommended filet and it never disappoints. The service was impeccable, the right amount of attention without any hovering. Great assistance in selecting a wonderful wine to enhance our experience. Jeff Heineman is a talented man, with a great team at the Grapeseed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014The food was good and the service was excellent. A very nice place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week reviewDandReeDined on 1/17/2014This was our first time visiting Grapeseed, and we were very impressed. For appetizers, we chose the cornmeal fried oysters and the grilled spicy broccoli. The portions were very generous. The broccoli was too spicy for me. We both really liked our salads: Caesar and Arugula with the bacon vinaigrette. (yum) Our entrees were the seared scallops and the salmon and they were fabulous. We enjoyed trying the suggested wine pairings. We look forward to returning to Grapeseed.Special Features:
- InterestingFLORENTDined on 1/16/2014I went with two colleagues during the DC restaurant week. Three courses for $20. I started with a fricassee/ pollenta that tasted good. The main entree was the mussels with Fries, good but a little bit too spicy for me. To finish, the dessert (cheesecake with greek yoghourt) was excellent. Portions could have been larger. The service was slow but the personal was friendly. The noise was OK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cuisine is very good,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/14/2014The cuisine is very good, diverse and refined. We enjoy it each time again. The service was unobtrusive, yet very effective, so we were able to focus on our conversation and the enjoyment of the food. None of the boiler plate interruptions that betray lack of confidence, like: Q: "Is everything all right?" A: "I assume not, since you ask the question." Q: "Are you still working on it?" A: "I don't "work" here. Could I "enjoy" now?" Q: "Can I get you something?" A: "Did you forget something?" Good waiters don't interrupt to ask these questions. Instead, they are very attentive to the slightest raising of the hand or eyebrow if and and when a patron signals for attention. Our waiter at Grapeseed displayed that quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great meal!AngieVIPDined on 1/14/2014We met an old friend (a foodie) there on during restaurant week. We had an outstanding meal, to include appetizer, dinner and dessert. We did not know if Grapeseed participated in advance so it was a nice surprise for the three of us. The service was excellent, the wine and drink selection good, and it was allaround the best choice for us. I had not dined there in a while and will definitely come back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there on New Year's Eve.BethesdaDinerVIPDined on 12/31/2013Went there on New Year's Eve. Very good prix fixe dinner. Meats are always cooked to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve 4-course dinnerTrayCeilingsVIPDined on 12/31/2013First time at this place and had 4 courses off special menu. The service was very slow, probably because the restaurant was full. Standouts: amuse bouche, lobster tart, gnocchi, and desserts. Filet mignon came out lukewarm and overcooked (asked for medium-rare), but was flavorful. Pork chop also somewhat tough, but was a generous portion and flavorful; sides with the pork chop were delicious. Kitchen ran out of the chocolate dessert (choco cremeaux) by the time we got to dessert (a long time), but the alternatives were outstanding (butterscotch panna cotta and greek yogurt cheesecake)--BUT the cake with the panna cotta was dry, and I felt the cheesecake could have benefited from additional garnishes (fruit, more textural components, etc.).Special Features:
- Excellent food and great sommelier!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/19/2013I encourage people to take advantage of the services of the sommelier when choosing a wine - it's free, and his knowledge and recommendations are fantastic! The food is a delicious combination of perfect preparation, good portion size and exciting ingredients. The atmosphere is good... but the decor a little dated.Special Features:
- Not the same experience at lunchPyewackettDined on 12/19/2013I have dined many times at Grapeseed in the evening and always had a good experience, with interesting well prepared food. We visited at lunch time for a work related holiday lunch, thinking that the menu would be similar, just scaled down with more "lunch type" fare. But the menu was mostly very basic sandwiches, salads--little in the way of lunch entrees. We could have been dining anywhere--no Grapeseed touches, boring menu and not the unique, special fare offered in the evening. And a large holiday party came in--very loud, standing around the tables. The food was okay--just not twhat we expected from Grapeseed.
- Great SpotAndreaKVIPDined on 12/14/2013My husband and I went here on a Living Social deal and were impressed with the ambience and food. Lovely restaurant that's also set up nicely for private groups. We each ordered an appetizer - Mussels (great) and calamari salad (also very good). The entrée selection was limited for us (due to it being a Living Social deal) which was my only negative. From the prices, this didn't make sense and I think it doesn't work in their favor. I understand certain limitations but to only offer about 3 entrees doesn't work well. That being said, I had the shrimp entrée (excellent) and my husband ordered the hanger steak (which was good but not exceptional). The only other criticism was the price of beer and wine - on the high side.Special Features:
- Disappointed. Food seemedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013Disappointed. Food seemed to be marked up for the special living social purchase...nothing special. do not recommend
- Fun Dinner2StarsBraboVIPDined on 12/11/2013We had a nice meal accompanied by a bottle of Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch Chardonnay. The waitress who is normally a bar tender was very knowlegeabale about wine, experienced, low key and sophisticated.Special Features:
- The food was good but pricey.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/9/2013The food was good but pricey. Except for a few, most tables had no tablecloth. It was busy but only 2 waiters. Granted, it was a very cold Monday night.Special Features:
- Not going backOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/7/2013While the food was well-prepared it tends toward very heavy and ordinary. Do not get their living social deal because the menu is extremely limited and they are completely inflexible--wouldn't consider offering other dishes even with upcharge. Server was friendly and casual but often absent when needed. Prices are sky high.
- I have dined at GrapeseedDiner1VIPDined on 12/7/2013I have dined at Grapeseed for many years and was extremely disappointed by our experience. Bread was never served at our table, we needed to pour our own wine, and refills on water had to be asked for. The food was mediocre; only a chicken dish and dessert stood out. We were a group of 4 who each had 3 courses, order a couple bottles of wine and had after-dinner drinks - we spent extremely good money but left knowing that we would not be coming back.
- WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCEdaveDined on 12/7/2013WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE OUR WAITER ELIAS IS A GEMSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was extremely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 12/2/2013I was extremely disappointed with the limited menu that was set forth for the Living Social deal; the appetizers were much more appealing than the 3 options for entrée. The paella was really just rice with meat in it and the chef should indicate that dark meat will be included as part of the chicken portion. The portion of salmon was rather small.
- Really appreciated the place...radioezVIPDined on 11/29/2013Really appreciated the place... food very good... pricey... but it was worth it... loved the half price bottle of wine night treat! thanks... JWSpecial Features:
- One of my favoritesYummDined on 11/27/2013The food and service here are always some of the best I ever have.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/26/2013We had a special priced meal that followed a prix fixe menu. The menu selections were not as good as on previous occasions. The food was good, but not too plentiful. I would suggest that diners be aware of what they will receive, so expectations are not disappointing.
- Good but not great this timeRosieVIPDined on 11/11/2013I have always liked Grapeseed because they have a decent wine list and the food is always good. We went on a Monday and it was mostly empty but the service was SO SLOW! Not sure what that was about. The meal was good though: calamari and the Korean beef tip appetizers, the salmon and the chicken with mushroom pasta - all pretty solid stuff. The tres leche cake for dessert was not that great though - perhaps because it was nothing like more traditional tres leche cakes that I have had before.Special Features: