Grant's Restaurant and Bar
977 Farmington Ave
West Hartford, CT 06107Neighborhood:
Hartford / West Hartford
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Grant's Restaurant and Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.billygrant.com/
- Phone: (860) 236-1930
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:30am-3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:00pm-10:00pm, Friday & Saturday 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sunday Brunch 10am -3pm Dinner 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Billy Grant
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: BG Catering is a blend of the flavors and styles of both Grant's Restaurant and Restaurant Bricco. BG Catering can create the perfect menu for you and your guests. Whether you are looking to pick up your menu selections for your gathering of 25 people or more, or have it fully prepared and served by our staff for your celebration of 40 people or larger, BG Catering could be perfect for you.
A word from Grant's Restaurant and Bar
Chef Owner Billy Grant composes Grant's menu daily, specializing in fresh seafood and quality steaks. Our food style is seasonal American-Mediterranean with flavors of Italy and France. Our refined menu, award winning desserts and popular lounge makes Grants a great restaurant choice for your gathering with colleagues, friends, and relatives.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Grant's Restaurant and Bar - Best Restaurants in Hartford / West Hartford ›
Grant's Restaurant and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (49)great for outdoor dining (49)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (38)vibrant bar scene (35)good for groups (34)great for lunch (31)romantic (26)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (17)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Excellent, cute and friendly serverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2014Excellent service....................................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, Awesome servicebergerboyDined on 11/22/2014Prime rib was 1 of the best I've had. Hickory smoked & extremely tender. Didn't even need a knife!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- danny4444danny4Dined on 11/15/2014Great food and service our server Jessica is truly a pro very attentive but not intrusive. Well worth the45 minute ride my wife and I travel, never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food / prompt servicePaulDined on 11/8/2014My wife and I stopped in for a nice dinner before catching a show at the Bushnell. The service was prompt and the food was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014We have been to Grants several times now and always had a great experience in every respect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect except for noise leveleatoutDined on 11/7/2014Our food was outstanding and the menu had so many tempting dishes, it was a little difficult to choose. Our waitress could not have been better: patient, attentive and charming. There is one minus and it's the noise level coming from the bar. This wasn't just noise; it was deafening, shouting at the top of one's lungs noise. Most restaurants today are very, very noisy, but this was the loudest restaurant I have ever been in. If you go and want to actually speak to anyone at your table, make sure that you sit far away from the bar.Special Features:
- great food in time for showChristinaDined on 11/7/2014We had reservations for dinner before a show at the Bushnell. The waiter was attentive and quick without rushing us through our meal. I was skeptical about the seasonal cocktails, but the pumpkin one was delish. I had a tuna cooked superbly rare with crackling pepper. It was great! The bar was bustling for happy hour, but we were still able to have a nice quiet dinner in the back. I love this place, because the ingredients are always fresh.Special Features:
- DisappointedLFoodie0926Dined on 11/1/2014I have been dining here for years, many special occasions and just as many times for nice dinners out but was disappointed this past time. It has been about a year or 2 since the last time I had been, but they have changed the physical menus to cheap, flimsy paper, add a ton more tiny tables to what was once their bakery case and I can't help but feel like they are just trying to maximise their cash flow while giving up on the cozy ambience they used to have. It no longer feels like fine dining and has more of a bistro feel. Also, expect to be there for hours (plan 3-4) if you are there between 730-930 because the later it gets the less you see your server. All around a disappointment.I have spent years and years recommending, but no more
- Short staffedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Food was very good, and although server was very nice, he seemed to be spread far too thin. Took a while to get food order in, that also took a while to come. Those who had pancakes said they were the best ever!Special Features:
- First time here, great lunchSuzanneCDined on 10/25/2014We were looking for more entree-type items on the menu, but the quality of the food more than made up for our realization we should have come for dinner instead of lunch. Partner is gluten- and dairy-sensitive, so he requested sauteed calamari instead of fried for an app. They prepared a gorgeous dish. Another in our party had a steak with truffle fries. Perfectly buttery and rare. Superb! The tomato-based onion soup app, ordered by two of us, was fantastic, and another person in our party pronounced the mac 'n cheese the best she'd ever had. By the time we got around to dessert (sorbet and creme brulee), we were too full to completely enjoy it, but it was exceptional. We'll be back -- but next time, it'll be for dinner.Special Features:
- Mr. And Mrs.C4dluvofoodDined on 10/18/2014I love the fact that I can make a reservation and after an extensive parking search can come in and am seated immediately...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great anniversaryjgaynormcDined on 10/18/2014My wife and I celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary dinner at Grants and were totally pleased with the service and outstanding entrees. I thoroughly enjoyed the 10 oz filet mignon and four days later my wife is still raving about het seafood entree.Although the dining room was a bit noisy on a crowded Saturday evening, our dining experience was thoroughly enjoyable and we had a very happy anniversary.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table of 6surfer24Dined on 10/18/2014Table was ready for reservation, our waitress was fantastic, and food was perfectly cookedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food lousy Bar ServiceDaktkannVIPDined on 10/18/2014Loved our dinner would not go to the bar again. Bartenders more interested in gabbing amongst themselves then serving customersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service takes away from foodDiningCTDined on 10/11/2014Upon entering and confirming our reservation the staff at the reception are were awkwardly fumbling and not friendly... Socializing. Upon being seated the waiter was poor I have had more attentive service at the Texas Roadhouse.. Food was good but the whole service component of the dining experience was lacking.. Prefer Flemings for a West Hartford steakhouse...Special Features:
- VersatileGloriaDined on 10/10/2014Whether you are looking for a young crowd or fine dining, Grants is the place to be. I dined there for my 71st birthday. We requested a quiet spot and they accommodated with a seat in the back room. When we were leaving, I noticed a lively, younger crowd at the bar area. Street parking as well as 2 nearby parking lots make it quite accessible. This restaurant is one of West Hartford's hits!Special Features:
- a nice eveningSMITHDined on 10/6/2014I was taking a friend here on a Monday night for a casual birthday dinner. The food was superb and the atmosphere on a Monday night was, thankfully, quiet enough so we could hear ourselves talk (which is not always the case at this restaurant). The food was great, but the service was only adequate -- I'd say immature, veering between being overly solicitous and being amateurish.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Enjoyable dining experience. The noise level at times was off putting. The food and service were quite good.Special Features:
- glfgrlsmonDined on 10/1/2014Our party of 5 thought the restaurant was overrated and probably none of us would return.The food was not great,but the calamari was very goodSpecial Features:
- Sunday supper on the patioTAWCDined on 9/28/2014Enjoyed a beautiful Sunday evening with great food. The corn chowder was especially delicious. A vegetarian option for soup would be a good addition for those who don't eat meat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Brunch!goodfoodDined on 9/28/2014Great tasting brunch, must try the Lobster burger and shrimp and grits!Special Features:
- Great brunchPaulDined on 9/21/2014The Hartford area doesn't have a lot of great brunch spots, so I was excited to try Grant's. Menu is a good mix of the inventive and the classic, and the quality and service was at the high level of a Billy Grant restaurant. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great West Hartford gemBlueBackFanVIPDined on 9/19/2014I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone who's looking for a fun and energetic place. Grant's is usually busy as it's one of the more popular spots in West Hartford. Food was great, service was top notch, look forward to coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2014 Meal a WinnerKayamayDined on 9/19/2014We loved the $20.14 three course meal. Excellent, tasty options at a very good price point.Special Features:
- Oppi328VIPDined on 9/17/2014I absolutely loved both the service and the food at Grant's Restaurant! My husband had the kale Caesar salad, and I had an heirloom tomato salad. The tomatoes were so juicy. It was as if they came straight from the farm, and they most likely did! My husband ordered a chicken entrée, and he enjoyed it very much. I had the rack of lamb, and I give it 100 out of 100! I ordered it with mushrooms instead of potatoes. The mushrooms were delicious. I eat out all the time, and I order rack of lamb very often so I really am a good judge. It was a generous portion, it was not too salty, it wasn't too fatty, and it was incredibly flavorful! We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local dinerWHdinerDined on 9/17/2014Great food. Special menu was delicious and well worth the time. Great service and place to meet after work. Well worth the traffic on highway to get there at 5:45pSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grants . Service is a winnerAll4glastonburyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Lunch for three was great, fish tacos are my "go to" - never disappoint. Others had lobster burgers that satisfied - crammed with lobster meat. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and accommodating. Great spot - A place where you can have a nice conversation and not have to yell. Nice.Special Features:
- Always good upscale bistroJudylcVIPDined on 9/16/2014Have been to grants many times. Pricey so often go for special occasions. Went for Taste of Suburbs menu. Our party had appetizers of butternut squash soup, tomato & feta salad. The accompanied rolls were 'the best we ever had' - buttery with sea salt. Entrees of chicken Milanese had good crunchy texture, vegetable risotto with scallops was delicious and the filet mignon was perfectly cooked. Lemon pound cake was both sweet and tart and made for a nice dessert. The food is always simple but very well prepared and presented. Portions are ample but not excessive. Although food is billed as American, ambience and food Feels like an upscale Paris bistro in west Hartford. Always goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, reservations for twoGunslingerDined on 9/16/2014Had important business meeting lunch.....just two of us. Grant's is one of few(maybe only) of nicer places in W. Hartford that woul accept reservation for only two. I had shrimp and grits and other person had chef salad with salmon. Both were great. Service was attentive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to honor my reservationOhioFoodieVIPDined on 9/12/2014Let's start by saying, "I LOVE Grant's!!" I am a very recent foodie transplant from Ohio and have already been to Grant's several times because it is consistently exceptional. Sadly, I encountered my first negative. I made a reservation specifically for the patio, but wasn't told until I got there that they do not honor patio reservations. Bad form Grant's! Do not make your guests with reservations loiter at the front door because of an unknown policy. Wasn't a good way to start my visit with out-of-town guests. Wait at the bar you say...enjoy a drink?...not on a Friday night - they were 3 deep at the bar; couldn't get the attention of a bartender if my hair was on fire.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Always a great place to meet up with friends.. Food and service Great!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceFoodisgrandDined on 8/31/2014Been going here for years, never disappointed. Steaks cooked to perfection, great selection of beers on tap + a very good wine list. A cozy experience for couples, excellent group seating as well. Brunch is phenomenal. My go-to restaurant in WeHa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high quality, varied menucoffeeDined on 8/30/2014Grant's is a high-end restaurant with very creative dishes (for the foodie in us) but also had some less complicated dishes for people who are looking for more straightforward presentation (namely our picky 14-year-old). The atmosphere is just right---not imposing (for families) but definitely "special"-feeling. It was a great choice for we parents and our teenagers; however, much younger children were there too. Great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itSeanCDined on 8/30/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Good steak and seafood. Always something on the menu that I will enjoy, whether it's fish, steak, or something a little different.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just fair this timeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014We've been going to Grants for years for special occasions. Last night, the experience was just fair, rather than the typical excellent. The entrees were not as good as in the past and the service was sub par. However, the appetizers and desserts were very good. It was not worth the high pricing.
- DisappointedeosccVIPDined on 8/24/2014Our party of four arrive at Grant's at 5pm and were promptly seated. When our server came to us he announced that the advertised lobster special desert from ice cream sundae. A few minutes later he returned to tell us that they had run out of lobsters. This was at 5:45 PM. How do you advertise a special and then not have two of the three dinner items? The food that we ordered was good, but our server appeared to be underwhelming. This is the second time that I have felt disappointed with my experience at Grant's. I will probably not go for a third try.Special Features:
- Good but Expected BetterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Bread and corn chowder yum....lobster watery and over cooked. The sundae was delicious...Staff was helpful and service very good. One lobster was replaced and the new one was better.Special Features:
- Great Experience all-aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Went there on a Saturday night an dined outside. The food was great, the service was very good. We weren't rushed. Price was very good for the meal. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- AnavVIPDined on 8/22/2014Everything was good but not great. As one can expect some things were very good others not close.
- always greatoutstandingVIPDined on 8/21/2014Always a great meal and excellent service!! I love the greek salad and adding salmon as the entree. The wait staff are always helpful and attentive. The atmosphere is pleasant and I love the restaurant decor since it was renovated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.