San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grantgrill.com/
- Phone: 6197442077x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am / Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm / Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm / Nightly Dinner: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Grant Grill Lounge: 11:00am - Midnight / Happy Hour: Sunday-Thursday 4-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sam Burman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Create a memorable event by selecting Grant Grill for your Special Celebration or Business Occasion. Guests will delight in seasonal menus, fine wines and handcrafted libations, set in Grant Grill's sleek Private Dining Room (up to 12) or Semi-Private Upper Lounge (up to 30). Larger groups can be accommodated in the Main Dining Room. Cocktail receptions, and full and partial buy-outs of the restaurant and/or lounge are also available.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Alessio 8776261119
- Entertainment: Live entertainment Thursday-Saturday at 8pm includes live Jazz, Blues, Pop, Soul and R&B presented by Local Artists and Special Guests, with a repertoire of classic and contemporary hits.
Schedule subject to change. Entertainment calendar available at www.grantgrill.com.
- Special Events: We want to celebrate with you on your special day. Leave the cooking and entertaining to our team of experts, and choose Grant Grill for your Special Occasion Brunch, Lunch, Dinner or Reception. Customized menus aim to please even the most discerning guests of honor. Our luxurious Private Dining Room holds up to 12 people surrounded by Grant Grill's wine vault. The Semi-Private Upper Lounge boasts a sleek and modern setting with Art Deco details. Larger groups can also be accommodated in the Grant Grill's main dining room with classic wood finishes and crisp, white linens. Or, for more informal affairs, the Grant Grill Lounge provides an inviting backdrop for versatile receptions with tray-passed bites and craft cocktails. Call Grant Grill's Special Events Team at 619-744-2030 to discuss how we can create a personalized experience for you and your group!
A word from Grant Grill
Start your morning sweet with Bliss Cakes or savory with South of the Border flavors of the Chicken Migas. Power lunch Monday-Friday with sandwiches, salads and entrees, where top executives have been making deals since 1951. The Dinner Menu changes nightly to feature the best of the farmer's market. Pair with fine wines and dancing in the Lounge for a memorable date night. No matter what brings you to Grant Grill, we guarantee a remarkable dining experience. From the sumptuous surroundings and attentive service, to the fresh California cuisine, Grant Grill carries a tradition of excellence. Renowned for shaking up some of the nation’s best cocktails, the adjoining Lounge boasts a unique Gaslamp Quarter nightlife experience. The stars of the menu are Grant Grill’s hand crafted cocktails which include their very own 100 Day Barrel Aged Manhattan and a rotating collection of seasonal concoctions like the holiday’s “Smashing Pumpkin” (as featured on The Food Network).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Grant Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Grant Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)fit for foodies (36)romantic (35)good for groups (18)great for brunch (16)great for lunch (15)neighborhood gem (15)notable wine list (15)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Another Nice VisitGeneVIPDined on 10/26/2014I wanted to introduce my buddy to the barrel-aged whiskey (Genepi Americana) before it ran out. I had it a couple of weeks ago and loved it! We were served by Tara, my favorite person at Grant Grill! She is the best! We had a nice couple of hours of drinks and watched the World Series on the TV. Thanks for another nice visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014Web site is misleading about brunch. Service was ok but felt rushed even though the restaurant was nit even half full.
- Old School with New CuisinemillardDined on 10/24/2014This place was Amazing. We are from Los Angeles, and it is almost impossible to find a restaurant like this - impeccable service from everyone - tablecloths - they change the silverware between courses - they ASK you if you are ready for your entree. And the price is the same you would pay at any of the new hip places that are noisy and pack you in and then charge $50+ per person for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grant Grill - 16 Oct 2014GeneVIPDined on 10/16/2014Tara is our favorite hostess/waitress! She made our anniversary night the BEST with her attentiveness and a beautiful after-meal, anniversary dessert! I ordered the Butter Lettuced as a starter and the King Salmon for the main course. The salmon was perfect with the surrounding veggies really providing perfect flavor! I am not a whiskey person, however, I tried their barrel-aged whiskey (6 months old). They make one barrel and keep the barrel in the lounge area. It was the smoothest drink I think I have ever had!! It is the perfect lip-wettening, slow-sipping drink you could ever have! I’d like to say thank-you to Sarah for your sweet compliments while my wife and I had a drink at the bar after we arrived.Special Features:
- FabulousLoveFood2Dined on 10/16/2014It was a marvelous meal from beginning to end. Service was impeccable. We would highly recommend the Grant Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shirleykDined on 10/15/2014We enjoyed a great late breakfast here. Food was delicious and the service: Impeccable.Special Features:
- Consistently great food & serviceLocalfoodieVIPDined on 10/11/2014We've been coming to Grant Grill for years and the food and staff never disappoint. This is high end dining experience and its very apparent everyone takes great pride in ensuring you have a wonderful meal. New to the menu is an aged bone in rib eye for TWO. It amazing! A must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland, poorly preparedOpentabler88VIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was extremely bland and not prepared very well. I had the scallops and found them undercooked and overly-salted. The dish itself was watery.
- Perfect Dinner Before a ShowJmapVIPDined on 10/10/2014My husband and I don't make it downtown very often but we do when we have show tickets. The Grant Grill is an amazing location; within walking distance of Horton Plaza and Symphany hall. The cuisine is seasonal and creative. The service is impeccable and you know that they treat their employees well because it's the same folks every time we visit. On Friday and Saturday evenings, they feature a live jazz band. If you're looking for a lovely evening downtown, try the Grant Grill before or after a show. As a bonus, they partner with several arts organizations so if you tell them you're going to a local production then you may get 25% off your bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite places!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2014Everytime I walk into the US Grant Hotel, I feel like i've been whisked away to another time. The Grant Grill is one of my favorite places to meet up with friends to grab a nibble before a show, to linger over a long dinner or even just to have a drink. I met up with 3 of my good friends the other night and we had such a wonderful time. I ordered the lentil stew as my entree and it was beyond divine. Stew can either be too thick and filling or too bland. This lentil stew was absolute perfection.Special Features:
- upscale digshal52VIPDined on 10/2/2014The restaurant was very upscale in a appearance thought the staff was very friendly. The food was a superb balance of local sustainable food with layers of complex flavor. The service was first rate, timely and helpful.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceRomes01Dined on 10/1/2014While visiting San Diego, my wife and I were looking for a nice place to enjoy dinner. Lots of places to choose from and so we opted for the Grant Grill. Sometimes hotel restaurants are iffy and good for only breakfast, but to our delight, that was not the case with the Grant Grill. The atmosphere was great for a romantic evening and the service was excellent. Thank you Chris! The sweetbreads were delicious and the beef cheek was incredible!! The wine suggestions made by Chris were right on point to compliment our dinner. Needless to say, I highly recommend the Grant Grill and look forward to trips to San Diego in order to stop in and enjoy a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in San DiegoberrywilsonDined on 9/27/2014We had a fantastic meal at the Grant Grill, the food was fabulous and the vegetarian option was imaginative. Service was excellent, very friendly and attentive with good recommendations made. This was our favourite dining experience on our trip to San Diego and I would highly revommend it to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect meal before the theaterjohndpalmDined on 9/27/2014Last Saturday night was my first time eating at The Grant Grill. I've stopped in before for a drink and so it came to mind when we were looking for a place to eat before catching a play at the Civic Theater. Apparently a lot of other people had the same idea. Fortunately, the food and service did not suffer from the wave of people coming in for dinner and leaving at almost the same time. The food was fantastic and the service really raised the bar for what I expect at a nice restaurant. We certainly will be choosing The Grant Grill again the next time we're at an event nearby.Special Features:
- A nice surprise!KurtellenVIPDined on 9/27/2014We had eaten at the Grant Grill once before and really were not impressed. We were seeing a play downtown and thought we'd give it another chance. It was wonderful!! The food was amazing! The portions were just the right size! The service timing was not too fast and not too slow. We were even able to have dessert and leave with plenty of time to make our play. We are so happy we gave it another try!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food is not quality as in the past -- no longer can I recommend to people.
- restaurant weekcousinsDined on 9/26/2014Chose Grant Grill to be close to theatre and "quieter" choice. Didn't realize it was restaurant week and a lovely menu was offered. Great value and yummy food. Our dinner experience was flawless and out in time for Kinky Boots!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional experienceFrankDined on 9/25/2014There were eight for dinner and each of us enjoyed our meal very much. Our service from Brendon and others was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeMeanddaughterDined on 9/24/2014Loved the preserved old style of the hotel and The sophistication of the restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great with the GirlsJillypepperDined on 9/23/2014We had such a great time - excellent wine and food served with grace and style. Love the bar, the ambiance and the food is never a disappointment. Special thanks to the staff for managing a demanding group with class.Special Features:
- Will go back again...soongkindredDined on 9/23/2014Second time there in two months...both for special occasion. Our experience was just as good as the first. Service excellent, food even better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for pre-theater diningStephanieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Good food and service, valet parking, close to the opera and Balboa Theater -- what's not to love?Special Features:
- Always a great experiencepkwhouVIPDined on 8/31/2014Amazing food from the new chef and continued wonderful service always make the Grant Grill a great choice in dining!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NathanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Grant grill is great- it's perfect for special occasions with a sophisticated, throwback atmosphere. That said, don't order the fad drink from the bar, go for the sidecar. Awesome food, too. It's pricey, but well worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicepkwhouVIPDined on 8/30/2014While most hotel restaurants tend to disappoint, the Grant Grill always has great food, great service, and a wonderful ambiance. Well worth visiting whether or not you are a guest of the hotel.Special Features:
- patience is a virtuecharlieVIPDined on 8/29/2014had a lunch reservation for 3 at 12:30pm. seated promptly, given some water and a bread basket and then waited and waited and waited till our server asked if we wanted some water...oops see you have that. it was now 1:15pm apx so we ordered a bottle of wine and then our lunch items. steak and frites excellent, turkey panini huge. then the bill came. what no offer for coffee or dessert? what's up with the grill? slip ups like these for this amount of $$$. not right. maybe we wren't movers and shakers?Special Features:
- Wonderful breakfast!CrewVIPDined on 8/20/2014Not a large menu to choose from, but delightfully prepared and delicious morning fare. Go for the steak and eggs, you won't regret it. A delicious, expertly cooked and super tender Hangar steak, topped with a bit of Chimichuri sauce, super crispy breakfast potatoes, eggs your way, a match made in heaven! A great way to start the day. The Crab Benedict was also tasty and light, no English Muffin to weigh the meal down, rather a light and savory bread pudding, topped with crab, avocado, and perfectly poached eggs. Just a bit of Hollandaise, not too much to drown the meal. Not a bargain breakfast at all, but a wonderful splurge, especially if you can relax and enjoy the beautiful setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner, Awful breakfastWill79Dined on 8/16/2014We had an amazing dinner experience. The food was delicious and our waitress made the evening special. We choice to eat breakfast there and unfortunately it overshadowed the night before. We were offered complimentary coffee that was set up in the restaurant and we said we'd until we sat down, we sat down & it took 10 minutes for a waiter to come, he offered us coffee and I assumed it was the same coffee being offered for free, the coffee was cold but we ordered eggs and hash, it came and we were asked if we wanted condiments, it took 10 minutes for that to arrive along with our toast so everything was cold, the waiter was inattentive and to boot the cold coffee was 4$ each when free coffee was offered! Would not go back bc it was so badSpecial Features:
- Wonderful everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Really loved it all especially the music. Can only afford it once a year but love it for special days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous turtle soupcackieVIPDined on 8/11/2014Thought nobody could top turtle soup like New Orleans but the grant grill wins hands down! So good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting; great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2014Menu offers some interesting variations on traditional dishes. Service was outstanding. Food overall good; only complaint is everything was just a little too salty.Special Features:
- Great time with great Live MusicHiroDined on 7/4/2014First time since my 14 years living in San Diego. Service was good. Live Jazz Music was awesome. Seeing nice people dancing. I strongly recommend people this restaurant especially for a special occasion such as your spouse's birthday and/or anniversary. Just spend good time with a feel of relaxing and enjoying the music.Special Features:
- The following 533 reviews are from the Grant Grill reviews archive.
- Grant Grill just got even better!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014FANTASTIC meal at what was already my favorite restaurant, and has now gotten even better with the new chef. Started with a wonderful Jeff Josenhans cocktail: the reinvented cosmo. Very refined, fascinating, delicious. Then we had the famous foccacia from their old menu. Sam Burman is really brilliant and is adding very inventive touches to the menu. Loved the herbal "meringue" on the beet appetizer plate - really fun. And the vegetarian entree was a lot of fun too (perfectly cooked veggies with lovely mushroom bread pudding). The new farmers salad is tasty and the strip loin too. Natalie is a brilliant waitress and is always so knowledgeable. The atmosphere is classy but happening. Most fun and delicious restaurant in town.Special Features:
- Good food, service a bit slowDisappointedVIPDined on 6/28/2014Overall we had a good time and would recommend it. The servers were much more attentive during breakfast than dinner which was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extra Special AttentionDragonmoeDined on 6/27/2014We went for my husband's birthday dinner before going to the theater. Our waiter was very attentive and offered great suggestions. We asked for a certain type of wine and he actually recommended the least expensive of the selections and it was perfect. We had the scallops and the duck, both cooked and presented beautifully. 3 hours later we returned after the theater and went into the lounge. Although we had not given our name, the complimentary birthday desert that we missed at dinner (a good thing since we were very full) appeared at our table. Thanks to the whole staff in the Grill for making it a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Lunch at Grant GrillbillDined on 6/24/2014Had lunch recently and, as always, the service, food and décor was great. From being greeted to wait staff, all top notch. The Mock Turtle soup remains my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good music, great timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014My husband loves live music, and I can always count on the Grant Grill for date night! Easy valet parking, professional staff, and a musical line up that never disappoints. Special mention to Sergio, the waiter who goes above and beyond to ensure your dining experience is exemplary/memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!xenoadminDined on 6/21/2014I had a special guest that had just arrived from Denmark. He enjoyed the food immensely, eggs benedict (he is a very tall man and didn't need to skip on calories) and full order ceasar salad but my sliders were disappointing - dry and bland. But the service was flawless, so would definitely go back for the service (this kind of service is hard to find) and order something else, perhaps ask for a recommendation from the restaurant.Special Features:
- Grant GrillGuidepost42Dined on 6/4/2014Dinner at the Grant Grill was excellent. My wife ordered lamb and I ordered duck, dishes that can be ruined by over cooking even momentarily. Both were done beautifully. Presentation very good. Service was beyond excellent, very attentive and helpful without being intrusive. Exceptional wine list. Price was on par with restaurants of this caliber, not the least expensive place in town but not the most expensive either. We had an after dinner drink at the bar...equally enjoyable. If you haven't tried the Grant Grill, I would encourage you to make it a priority.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014We went to the Grant Grill before the theatre and it was wonderful! The fresh baked bread was incredible; warm. light, flavorful. We were there early so we were able to take advantage of the happy hour pricing on the house wine. We had the Chardonnay which was cold, buttery and delicious. The menu was filled with fresh and interesting choices and the meals we chose did not disappoint. We were pleasantly surprised when the bill came to find out our server had given us a 20% discount because we were theatre-bound. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant without hovering. All in all, a fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.