San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grantgrill.com/
- Phone: 6197442077x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday-Friday: 6:30am - 11:00am / Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 6:30am - 2:30pm / Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm / Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm -10:30pm / Grant Grill Lounge: 11:00am - Midnight / Happy Hour: Sunday-Thursday 4-7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sam Burman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Create a memorable event by selecting Grant Grill for your Special Celebration or Business Occasion. Guests will delight in seasonal menus, fine wines and handcrafted libations, set in Grant Grill's sleek Private Dining Room (up to 12) or Semi-Private Upper Lounge (up to 30). Larger groups can be accommodated in the Main Dining Room. Cocktail receptions, and full and partial buy-outs of the restaurant and/or lounge are also available.
- Private Party Contact: Jason Alessio 8776261119
- Entertainment: Live entertainment Thursday-Saturday at 8pm includes live Jazz, Blues, Pop, Soul and R&B presented by Local Artists and Special Guests, with a repertoire of classic and contemporary hits.
Schedule subject to change. Entertainment calendar available at www.grantgrill.com.
- Special Events: We want to celebrate with you on your special day. Leave the cooking and entertaining to our team of experts, and choose Grant Grill for your Special Occasion Brunch, Lunch, Dinner or Reception. Customized menus aim to please even the most discerning guests of honor. Our luxurious Private Dining Room holds up to 12 people surrounded by Grant Grill's wine vault. The Semi-Private Upper Lounge boasts a sleek and modern setting with Art Deco details. Larger groups can also be accommodated in the Grant Grill's main dining room with classic wood finishes and crisp, white linens. Or, for more informal affairs, the Grant Grill Lounge provides an inviting backdrop for versatile receptions with tray-passed bites and craft cocktails. Call Grant Grill's Special Events Team at 619-744-2030 to discuss how we can create a personalized experience for you and your group!
A word from Grant Grill
Start your morning sweet with Bliss Cakes or savory with South of the Border flavors of the Chicken Migas. Power lunch Monday-Friday with sandwiches, salads and entrees, where top executives have been making deals since 1951. The Dinner Menu changes nightly to feature the best of the farmer's market. Pair with fine wines and dancing in the Lounge for a memorable date night. No matter what brings you to Grant Grill, we guarantee a remarkable dining experience. From the sumptuous surroundings and attentive service, to the fresh California cuisine, Grant Grill carries a tradition of excellence. Renowned for shaking up some of the nation’s best cocktails, the adjoining Lounge boasts a unique Gaslamp Quarter nightlife experience. The stars of the menu are Grant Grill’s hand crafted cocktails which include their very own 100 Day Barrel Aged Manhattan and a rotating collection of seasonal concoctions like the holiday’s “Smashing Pumpkin” (as featured on The Food Network).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
Grant Grill - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Grant Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)romantic (33)fit for foodies (19)great for brunch (13)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (11)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Wonderful breakfast!CrewVIPDined on 8/20/2014Not a large menu to choose from, but delightfully prepared and delicious morning fare. Go for the steak and eggs, you won't regret it. A delicious, expertly cooked and super tender Hangar steak, topped with a bit of Chimichuri sauce, super crispy breakfast potatoes, eggs your way, a match made in heaven! A great way to start the day. The Crab Benedict was also tasty and light, no English Muffin to weigh the meal down, rather a light and savory bread pudding, topped with crab, avocado, and perfectly poached eggs. Just a bit of Hollandaise, not too much to drown the meal. Not a bargain breakfast at all, but a wonderful splurge, especially if you can relax and enjoy the beautiful setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner, Awful breakfastWill79Dined on 8/16/2014We had an amazing dinner experience. The food was delicious and our waitress made the evening special. We choice to eat breakfast there and unfortunately it overshadowed the night before. We were offered complimentary coffee that was set up in the restaurant and we said we'd until we sat down, we sat down & it took 10 minutes for a waiter to come, he offered us coffee and I assumed it was the same coffee being offered for free, the coffee was cold but we ordered eggs and hash, it came and we were asked if we wanted condiments, it took 10 minutes for that to arrive along with our toast so everything was cold, the waiter was inattentive and to boot the cold coffee was 4$ each when free coffee was offered! Would not go back bc it was so badSpecial Features:
- Wonderful everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/15/2014Really loved it all especially the music. Can only afford it once a year but love it for special days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous turtle soupcackieVIPDined on 8/11/2014Thought nobody could top turtle soup like New Orleans but the grant grill wins hands down! So good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful setting; great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2014Menu offers some interesting variations on traditional dishes. Service was outstanding. Food overall good; only complaint is everything was just a little too salty.Special Features:
- Great time with great Live MusicHiroDined on 7/4/2014First time since my 14 years living in San Diego. Service was good. Live Jazz Music was awesome. Seeing nice people dancing. I strongly recommend people this restaurant especially for a special occasion such as your spouse's birthday and/or anniversary. Just spend good time with a feel of relaxing and enjoying the music.Special Features:
- Grant Grill just got even better!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014FANTASTIC meal at what was already my favorite restaurant, and has now gotten even better with the new chef. Started with a wonderful Jeff Josenhans cocktail: the reinvented cosmo. Very refined, fascinating, delicious. Then we had the famous foccacia from their old menu. Sam Burman is really brilliant and is adding very inventive touches to the menu. Loved the herbal "meringue" on the beet appetizer plate - really fun. And the vegetarian entree was a lot of fun too (perfectly cooked veggies with lovely mushroom bread pudding). The new farmers salad is tasty and the strip loin too. Natalie is a brilliant waitress and is always so knowledgeable. The atmosphere is classy but happening. Most fun and delicious restaurant in town.Special Features:
- Good food, service a bit slowDisappointedVIPDined on 6/28/2014Overall we had a good time and would recommend it. The servers were much more attentive during breakfast than dinner which was a bit disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extra Special AttentionDragonmoeDined on 6/27/2014We went for my husband's birthday dinner before going to the theater. Our waiter was very attentive and offered great suggestions. We asked for a certain type of wine and he actually recommended the least expensive of the selections and it was perfect. We had the scallops and the duck, both cooked and presented beautifully. 3 hours later we returned after the theater and went into the lounge. Although we had not given our name, the complimentary birthday desert that we missed at dinner (a good thing since we were very full) appeared at our table. Thanks to the whole staff in the Grill for making it a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Lunch at Grant GrillbillDined on 6/24/2014Had lunch recently and, as always, the service, food and décor was great. From being greeted to wait staff, all top notch. The Mock Turtle soup remains my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good music, great timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014My husband loves live music, and I can always count on the Grant Grill for date night! Easy valet parking, professional staff, and a musical line up that never disappoints. Special mention to Sergio, the waiter who goes above and beyond to ensure your dining experience is exemplary/memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!xenoadminDined on 6/21/2014I had a special guest that had just arrived from Denmark. He enjoyed the food immensely, eggs benedict (he is a very tall man and didn't need to skip on calories) and full order ceasar salad but my sliders were disappointing - dry and bland. But the service was flawless, so would definitely go back for the service (this kind of service is hard to find) and order something else, perhaps ask for a recommendation from the restaurant.Special Features:
- Grant GrillGuidepost42Dined on 6/4/2014Dinner at the Grant Grill was excellent. My wife ordered lamb and I ordered duck, dishes that can be ruined by over cooking even momentarily. Both were done beautifully. Presentation very good. Service was beyond excellent, very attentive and helpful without being intrusive. Exceptional wine list. Price was on par with restaurants of this caliber, not the least expensive place in town but not the most expensive either. We had an after dinner drink at the bar...equally enjoyable. If you haven't tried the Grant Grill, I would encourage you to make it a priority.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/4/2014We went to the Grant Grill before the theatre and it was wonderful! The fresh baked bread was incredible; warm. light, flavorful. We were there early so we were able to take advantage of the happy hour pricing on the house wine. We had the Chardonnay which was cold, buttery and delicious. The menu was filled with fresh and interesting choices and the meals we chose did not disappoint. We were pleasantly surprised when the bill came to find out our server had given us a 20% discount because we were theatre-bound. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant without hovering. All in all, a fantastic experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "Legendary" Grant GrillmcloumDined on 6/2/2014I've always heard The Grant Grill called The Legendary Grant Grill and I have finally got to experience why. There's so much to say in praise, yet I don't know we're to begin. Everything was exquisite, especially the service. Everyone was very attentive and friendly and made us feel very welcome. They made us feel like they didn't want us to leave and naturally, we didn't want to. The food was beyond amazing. As a foodie I was mind blown by the flavorful and we'll put together dishes on the menu. I would definitely reccomend coming for a special occasion or just a regular dinner night. The Grant Grill will never fail to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gaslamp's most refined restaurantBillNVIPDined on 5/25/2014As has been my past experience, this is a well-run comfortable restaurant, suitable for special occasions or just a fine meal. The rich settings are more or less those of a masculine club, but softer in feel and color. The menu is inventive, preparation is careful, and service very attentive and accommodating. The fact that there are only 7 or 8 main plates may not deter locals, but hotel guests may find the choices too limiting for more than one night's meal. That's a pity, because despite the many choices in the Gaslamp Quarter, this is one of the best, and certainly the most refined.Special Features:
- Great Place Hard FindMagnificentDiningDined on 5/24/2014Once found it was magnificent, the ambience, food, service, live Jazz, not to mention the cultural history impact, the lobby is like a museum. if you are in the San Diego, Ca. area this is a must do!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceSpicyDined on 5/22/2014Service from Natalie was perfect, timing of visits was just right. Recommendations of dishes and knowledge of menu reflected a true interest in delivering a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceCmsbeltVIPDined on 5/22/2014Service was outstanding! Attentive, courteous, and knowledgable about the menu and the wine list. The Prime strip steak was perfectly seared and delicious.Special Features:
- Great food, great valueMROBXA1Dined on 5/19/2014Perfect service, great food, and actually very good value. Much better than might be expected from a hotel based establishment. We paid almost twice as much the day before food that was barely half as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done standard dishesintofoodVIPDined on 5/17/2014Sumptuous dining room and excellent service to accompany it. The menu is not terribly creative, but the rather small selections were well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodLupe92009Dined on 5/13/2014The food was excellent, i attended a business lunch, service was great..but the server didn't offered us a dessert menu or coffee..which is a surprise for a great restaurantSpecial Features:
- Great food, great service.DisappointedVIPDined on 5/10/2014Unusual and thoughtful presentations of perfectly prepared food. Everything from the beet salad starter to the "Smores" desert and including the tenderloin of lamb was superb. Service was excellent and unobtrusive. Well worth the money.Special Features:
- Great DiscoverydedebDined on 5/10/2014We don't come downtown very often but was attending the Symphony on Saturday night. We wanted a nicer up-scale restaurant but did not want to deal with crowds & parking in the Gaslamp so decided to give the Grant Grille a try. An early reservation found us seated in a cozy booth in the corner. Our waitress, Bea, was outstanding, very friendly & professional. She was very well versed in all aspects of the menu & the wine list. The food was wonderful, starting with a delicious amuse bouche & ending with dessert. The excellent coffee was french pressed at the table. Bea was attentive without being intrusive and when she brought our bill, she had applied a Symphony discount which the Grant extends to Symphony goers. Definitely will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 5/9/2014The food and service are always great here. My waiter, Agusto, does a tremendous job. Always remembers my name, which is a nice touch.Special Features:
- A nice mealPandMDined on 5/5/2014A very nice meal, great steak. Attentive but not intrusive service.Special Features:
- amazing settingJeffTVIPDined on 4/30/2014I ended up trying a few different things, and all of them had nice quality to them. Things were pretty pricey, but with the setting, not surprising. Their signature drink was amazing for only $10. Service was pretty good. Their bread is also awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 512 reviews are from the Grant Grill reviews archive.
- Very specialPeregrine28Dined on 4/26/2014The Grant Grill is lovely and perfect for that 'special evening.' The menu is limited, but what they do, they do well. The service is outstanding with just the kind of unobtrusive care and attention you want. The Grill's location is close to theaters and to the symphony.Two issues. The first is that the portions are quite small. An entree alone might not satisfy. The second is that a $15 parking charge is excessive. Still, Going to the Grant is something I enjoy given its atmosphere, outstanding service, and elegant presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster Cobb SaladWittygirlDined on 4/18/2014Absolutely fabulous lunch before heading off to the airport. My guest had the Pastrami Rueben Sandwich which was phenomenal as well! Love the dark wood walls with cream booths/decor. Pleasure to dine here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old schoolReemDined on 4/15/2014The place is nice and swanky...but I wish there were was a more exciting menu. I mean I settled on a Cobb salad with grilled chicken...boring! And it wasn't anything special, I knew what a Cobb tastes like. Service was very attentive and took care of us well though.
- Excellent as alwaysMugsyVIPDined on 4/12/2014This is our second time here. The food was very good, but one needs to be aware of the presentation and small portions. We ordered the beet salad appetizer and it was 5 small beets… the roasted red pepper soup was quite salty, the beef was delicious, and the dessert was not what we expected.. it was the cake.. but a tiny piece of cake and a few add on items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible service; mediocre foodDiscerningdinnerVIPDined on 4/12/2014The service is outstanding, and the ambiance elegant. However, the food was not consistent & in some cases not worth the price or eating. The mixed salad on the menu promises goat cheese Gouda and pistachios; it delivers a few grated pieces of cheese and a sprinkling of crushed nuts, not enough to impart any flavor. The scallops were delicious, however the Sable fish was ordinary. The duck was so chewy it was difficult to cut; the only remedy offered was a sharper knife and they tried cooking it more, but tough is tough, and despite the nice flavor of the sauce, chewing was grueling! The citrus dessert, a sort of deconstruction of lemon icebox pie, had too much gram cracker crumbles, not enough lemon flavor, and was disappointing.
- Fabulous Food but Pricey!luckyoneVIPDined on 4/11/2014The food was amazing and unique - it's always nice to have something different and good! Prices are very high but definitely worth it for a special occasion. They also had amazing music and wonderful service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- continued reliable high qualitylafanDined on 4/11/2014Despite the loss of the tasting menu, the Grant Grill continues to offer an outstanding dining experience. I typically get to go there once every few months. The menu changes at a reasonable pace--there are some novelties, but also some sure old favorites. For single diners like me, the excellent selection of wine by the glass is a plus--one has choices beyond just chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, and cabernet. The service also continues to be great--if your waiter is preoccupied, someone else notices that your wine glass is empty or that you have finished the course. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:
- Consistently fine foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/11/2014As usual, the service was excellent, the food beautifully prepared and presented, and the price/value ratio reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing short of spectacular.JYetmanDined on 4/8/2014Booked a 9:30pm reservation after the opera - wanted to avoid the 5pm pre-opera crowd. Even though it was a near-closing reservation the server was at the top of her game and the food was magnificent. Great blend of flavors, no taste overpowered another. We were the only couple not seated in the lounge, so it might as well have been a private booking. :-) Spendy, but you really do receive great value for the money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fabuous dining experience-LizaDined on 4/5/2014A fabuous dining experience- wonderful flavor combinations, expertly presented and mouthwatering experience from the famous mock turtle soup to the scallops to the prime rib- exquisitely prepared and make sure to order the chocolate mouse with expresso icecream- you don't need an opera afterward to make this a must dine destinationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not just a hotel restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/1/2014The cuisine and the service is by far outstanding and worth the experience! Very unlike many of the hotel type restaurant settings, the Grant Grill is a gem! We will return! Merci Chef DeanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceseanc623VIPDined on 3/28/2014Laura, Carlos, Chris and the rest of the team are great. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice place, classic andFedeDined on 3/27/2014Very nice place, classic and very elegant ambient. Fantastic service, good food for American standards. I would definitely come back and recomend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.