3547 Chestnut Ave
Baltimore, MD 21211Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.granopastabar.com/emporio
- Phone: 4434387521x
- Hours of Operation:
MONDAY - CLOSED
Tuesday thru Thursday 11:00 AM - 10.00 PM (last seating)
Friday and Saturday 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM (last seating)
Sunday 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Italian
- Executive Chef: Gino Troia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer our guests several options for private and corporate dining and events, with special attention provided to alumni and faculty of our neighboring universities.
A word from Grano Emporio
Grano Emporio offers a skillful mix of traditional and contemporary trends in Italian cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients, with emphasis on the freshest seafood in Baltimore. Our seafood is purchased daily, and much of it comes locally from Samuels and Son Seafood. The Emporio provides sophisticated Italian dining while embracing the local community with its warmth, hospitality and amiable service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Grano Emporio - Best Restaurants in Hampden ›
Grano Emporio reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (18)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (4)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)hot spot (2)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Cute little Italian restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Went here with my parents, who were visiting from out of town. Grano Emporio was very charming, very homey. The waitstaff was attentive. Our server, who looked to be about 12, was in training. He was a little unsteady, but I am sure he will become a fine waiter with a few more weeks under his belt. The food was good. The meat/cheese platter was lovely. I can't really speak for the other dishes, but the mushroom ravioli I ordered is a winner. They are also very accommodating to those who don't do gluten--they can make most of the pasta dishes with gluten-free penne or farfalle. Grano Emporio was a bit hit with my parents. Just as good as anything in Little Italy but with free street parking after 6.Special Features:
- Needs some polish!BalmerHonDined on 7/26/2014We had to ask for bread even though dishes were at each place for olive oil. Were charged the full beverage rate for a small 4 to 6 oz glass of club soda which was never refilled. Had to ask for cheese to be grated on our salads and were given small condiment containers of grated cheese. Don't recommend.
- I wish I were Italian.HungryDined on 7/25/2014I had lasagna and it was some of the best I ever had. The sauce was better than any I have had in a very long time; very rich and flavorful. It made me wish I had been born to an Italian family so I would have learned to make sauce like that. The service was great and very attentive. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Wonderful Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014We were at Grano again on Thursday and, as always, it was fabulous! Not only was the food outstanding, Simon was his usual wonderful, attentive self. If you haven't been there, do yourself a favor and go. My pasta and clams was outstanding. My friend's vegetable ravioli was delicious, and my husbands lasagna was delectable. Overall, a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Pleasant experienceKathyDined on 7/22/2014I hadn't been expecting to like Grano as much as I did. Very pleasant experience - food was very good, service perfect and very nice ambiance.Special Features:
- Just delightful!jaguarjenDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I ate here to celebrate his birthday, and it reminded us both of our recent trip to Italy. Homemade pasta, exquisite sauces, and a comfortable, home-like setting that was warm and charming. Although I'm allergic and couldn't enjoy any, the wine list looked amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodkreeesDined on 7/3/2014Fine food in a fine setting. I would return and recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and ServicebaltimoreeatsDined on 6/28/2014Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. All of the staff was genuinely friendly. The service was outstanding and the food was absolutely delicious. I definitely will return to Grano Emporio and highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grano keeps going strongeclectivoreDined on 6/27/2014After a couple years in business, Grano still turns out great Italian food in a nice quiet place. The staff is friendly and the menu continues with many of the old favorites and occasional daily specials. Modest but well-chosen wine list, at reasonable prices. We like the small dining room upstairs for its quiet and comfort, or the small deck on a good day. The fact that it has it own (small) parking lot behind the building is an added plus in this area of town.Special Features:
- DelightfulDined on 6/24/2014Delicious food and great service, The pasta with shrimp was a real treat as was the special trout stuffed with leeks and sun dried tomatoes. We enjoyed the evening and never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't be more pleasedskeezixVIPDined on 6/21/2014Have wanted to try Grano Emporio for a while and finally made it there for lunch with friends. From the start, our experience was better than expected. Our server (Simone?) was a big reason for that. As we were deciding what wine we wanted to drink with lunch, he brought four for us to try! We were discussing appetizers (olives for certain, dried meats) when he offered to make a plate of assorted meats, cheeses & olives - all good. I ordered the meatball panini from the lunch menu. It was served open-faced and I ate every bit. Reminded me of my own family's meatballs. My friends had mushroom ravioli and truffle risotto and were happy with their choices. I think there may have been one forkful of risotto left on the plate. Will return!I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThomasthomnasVIPDined on 6/1/2014A favorite of ours for casual mid-week dinner after work, or family celebrations. The food is special, but still presented like you are at a friends house. The wait staff is first rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb diningDaveDined on 5/25/2014For a Sunday with a table of 5, all had excellent meals. This is a real treasure. Gino, keep it up.Special Features:
- Feels like a terrace in Europe!JumpycatDined on 5/23/2014Restaurant with a bar on one side, dining areas and a small, picturesque outdoor terrace in Hamden. Prices are reasonable and the fare is good. Interesting wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable and charmingLike2SkiDined on 5/23/2014I enjoyed the food, and particularly the earnest and thoughtful waiter.Special Features:
- Pleasant place, very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014Our first time at this restaurant. The food was good to excellent, and the wine list was extraordinary for reasonable prices. I knew some of the wines, and the prices were only a few dollars above retail, from the low end to the high end. Service was cordial and timely. Altogether, a great Baltimore restaurant.Special Features:
- New Find For UsSallyAnnVIPDined on 5/18/2014Our first time at Granos was a lovely surprise. Expected a red sauce type Italian restaurant but found instead subtle flavors, a varied and delicious menu, warm and competent service. The owner took time to explain implements that were part of the decour. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, fantasticLisaSDined on 5/16/2014Another great experience at Grano. Gino and his staff are superb. The Zuppa di Pesce is so good, it makes your eyes roll back in your head, the appetizers so abundant and delicious, it's hard to pick just a few. We've been eating Gino's food since he was in Towson, over 20 years ago, and have eagerly followed him ever since.Special Features:
- always outstanding!mkwmdDined on 5/11/2014I LOVE this place! The food is always amazing, and the staff is fantastic, friendly and knowlegable about the food and wines. I have never had a disappointing meal here, from starters (try the anchovies and olives! like none you've ever had) to dessert, whether off the regular menu or from one of the variety of specials, everything is excellent. The occasional special dinners are worth a reservation, too. We have been here for Christmas Eve, Easter, and Mother's Day in addition to regular nights, and there is no question it's worth the drive from Howard County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/8/2014This was a wonderful restaurant, with excellent service, food, and wine selections. We were in town for a trade show and we were looking for a local establishment in enjoy dinner. Grano Emporio was the absolute best choice. Service was excellent, food was well-portioned, and very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Thank you!BaltivoreDined on 4/30/2014We had an excellent time at Grano Emporio last Wednesday night. It is not often that a multigenerational restaurant meal goes so smoothly. The delicious food and phenomenal service made our family meal a wonderful experience. Thank you so much!Special Features:
- Delicious authentic Italian cuisineBmoreDinerVIPDined on 4/26/2014This neighborhood gem is located in Hampden across from The Charmery ice cream shop in a renovated rowhouse. The menu offers an appealing and diverse selection, and the dishes are all freshly prepared and to perfection. Definitely some of the best Italian fare in Baltimore.Special Features:
- Great mealDinerDined on 4/26/2014Four of us having salad, artichokes, Ravioli, Risotto and Osso Bucco plus coffee and dessert. Everything was excellent. Very nice wine list. Even the house Chianti was well worth drinking. An excellent evening!Special Features:
- The following 123 reviews are from the Grano Emporio reviews archive.
- Italian ExellenceluvitalianDined on 4/20/2014This is a restaurant we have visited in the past 6 months. It is extra special to us because we know the chef personally. Having said that, even without a personal touch, we were greeted by the owner on our first visit, and this most recent visit was very special as the attention given by our server was over the top excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!! I will be back!rags2rosesDined on 4/18/2014I live in Hampden. This was my first time at Grano. My guests drove 5 hours to see me and I wanted to give them good food in a cozy setting. We were offered a table upstairs but it didn't offer ambience so we asked to be seated downstairs. Grando did not disappoint. The main floor was perfect!! The food was delicious!!Special Features:
- Delicious mealbprestrevDined on 4/16/2014We went with out of town friends for dinner and all of us were very happy with our meals and the service. Will definitely go back. Two of us had ossa bucho and it was fabulous, melting in your mouth. The other two diners ordered a shrimp entree and a ravioli and they were very happy with these meals as well. The Belgian Chocolate flan also was outstanding, more like a mouse. Can easily be split among 4 people as it is quite rich.Special Features:
- yumSophieDined on 4/6/2014well prepared fresh food, home italian cooking - not "restaurant" food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findmaxhereDined on 4/4/2014The food we ordered was great....branzini. It was a pleasure to be in a restaurant that wasn't noisy....we were there around 7pm so don't know if noise level differs when it gets later. The waiter was great. Definitely will go back.
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/29/2014Great evening out. My wife and I have dined here previously. It does not disappoint. Pasta is home made and phenomenal. Good wine list.Special Features:
- Great service and food!JEM999Dined on 3/29/2014Had a party of 7 Saturday night for a friend's b-day. This was the first time any of us had been there. We all had a great time and both the service and food were very good! I highly recommend the mushroom ravioli. 2 friends had the chicken with asparagus dish and it was also good. One had the spaghetti and meatballs and we complimented the chef. Definitely a special occasion place, would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very cozy spot.DJfromMDDined on 3/29/2014The restaurant was very cozy and comfortable. Good place to relax and enjoy a quiet dinner at the end of a nice stroll and shopping in Hampden. Food was well-prepared. Somehow our order of an appetizer slipped through the cracks, but when the meal hit the table instead--we forgot about the olives. Dessert was awesome and the wine went perfectly with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Although the service was slowTLCGVIPDined on 3/22/2014Although the service was slow the food was excellent. All 6 of us enjoyed our dinners. All the pastas were excellent and the red and white sauces were very good. The rockfish was very good and so was the shrimp dish. We will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very impresseditalianoDined on 3/15/2014I am italian. The food was real italian. No disappointement, my grandma would have approved it all! The ambient and decor and good service of this place justify the slightly-pricy dishes. We were a small group and got a table in a very private area, very quiet. All the food I've tried was very interesting. I will go back for sure, need to try some more ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh PastaFoodLover1Dined on 3/14/2014I really liked the feel of the restaurant. I had the mushroom ravioli(made on site) with truffle butter - the dish was excellent- the best out of the four. The other dishes were lasagna - pasta sheets were very light but the dish was a little bland; zuppa de seafood - very fresh and was tasty; & seafood ravioli - we all found this pasta to be a little fishy and the was not a favorite. The fresh pasta is the way to go so ask your server what is made at the restaurant./ The service was just average but with good company all went well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceTravelPopPopDined on 3/12/2014My wife and I were visiting my son and brought his family to Grano. Outstanding! The resturant is beautiful, the staff efficient and friendly, and most importantly, the food outstanding. All the pasta dishes were excellent, my wife's chicken was a standout. It was our 2nd time there and we will most certainly be back in the future.Special Features:
- My favoritemkwmdDined on 3/8/2014The food is always fantastic, the wait staff friendly , helpful, and knowledgable. I have never had a meal I didn't love here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad to finally get thereTrishd33VIPDined on 2/21/2014We have been hearing about Grano Emporio for years and finally got there for dinner. They have a limited bar but we had margaritas made with fresh juice (just the way I like them). The wine list was very nice. The appetizer plate was delicious and varied. I had house made raviolis with mushrooms. Absolutely fabulous. We will go back!Special Features:
- Food pretty uninspired fordiner7Dined on 2/18/2014Food pretty uninspired for a $22 shrimp on linguine (that turned out to be spaghetti). Nice for a quiet conversation but certainly not to special occasion level. I always have high expectations for this restaurant because of its reputation but have been disappointed several times.
- Good food but issues w serviceJefeDined on 2/15/2014Saturday night dinner with high expectations which were not completely met. We waited for our drinks, food far too long. The staff seemed to be confused and not well managed, but friendly and polite. The food was very good. They could go lighter on the cream sauce on the mushroom ravioli. The flavor ot the mushrooms was great but overwhelmed by the gloppy sauce. Grano is a charming place and should do better .Special Features:
- Cant wait to return!Tom08Dined on 2/14/2014Had a great experience for Valentines day. Chocolats at the table already, The service was great and the food was out of this world! I havent tried the pasta bar but it looked really cool. It was the closet thing I've had to food from my visit to Italy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.