Grange Kitchen & Bar
118 W Liberty
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grange Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grangekitchenandbar.com/
- Phone: 7349952107
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 10 PM
Friday and Saturday 5PM to 11PM
Sunday Brunch 10AM to 3PM
Late night menu available upstairs
Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 11 PM
Friday and Saturday 5PM to 1AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Johns
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private area in front of main dining room. Can accommodate up to 14. Room is quaint, decorated with artwork and looks out on historic downtown Ann Arbor. Private area in upstairs bar room can accommodate up to 35.
- Private Party Contact: Brandon Johns 7349952107
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: The main bus terminal is located 2 blocks from our restaurant. Cab service also available
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street metered parking throughout downtown, free after 6 pm and all day Sunday. Surface lots available within walking distance at Ashely & William. Covered parking 1 block at 4th and William.
A word from Grange Kitchen & Bar
Farm-to-Table Dining featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients from local farms and farmers' markets. Grange menu selections change daily in order to utilize the freshest of local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Grange Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Grange Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (49)romantic (40)great for outdoor dining (29)great for brunch (25)good for groups (18)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (10)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Excellent FishEnjoyDined on 9/16/2014I had the sauteed perch and it was excellent. The spices were smooth and delicious, the cornbread wonderful, and the service great. The desserts presented a variety of tastes that all complimented each other. Wonderful evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014We had friends visiting from another state, and we wanted to show off something totally tasty and from Michigan. The Grange was perfect! We had a wonderful meal and even tasted some "new" foods! We'll be back---with or without out-of-town friends!Special Features:
- Amazing Local FareOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Our entire experience was top notch from start to finish. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgable which was a huge plus. They accomodated my 2 young children without complaint. Most importantly the food was better than I would have ever expected. Fresh and prepared to simple perfection. Dishes weren't dressed to hide the food. The local fresh ingredients were made to shine. Simply Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Delicious locally grown food with wine and beer from Michigan breweries and vineyards.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I have been to Grange 3 times, and two of them were special occasions (an anniversary and a birthday). The service is attentive but not overbearing, and very knowledgeable about all menu items including the wine list. The ambiance is fine dining meets farm house, and the food is all locally sourced and posted to the large chalkboard. Try the ice cream for dessert. Also, make sure to get the chef's tasting menu on a visit. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- BirthdayDined on 9/3/2014This was our first time there and we will be back. Food was very good and staff friendly and knowledgeableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!mamalovestocook1Dined on 9/3/2014Great farm to table restaurant. Locally sourced fresh food. GREAT service!! Delicious and different menu!! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Farm-Table ExperiencefreqdinerDined on 8/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the Tasting Menu with wine pairing. It was the end of August and we enjoyed the bounty of summer - grilled cantaloupe, creamy goat cheese, pesto, grilled peaches, bountiful tomatoes all perfectly and creatively executed throughout the 5 courses. Also great salmon, grilled pork loin, and an amazing dessert with buttermilk ice cream over chunks of watermelon with a celery granita. I can't think of a better way to end the sumer. I was told each night the chef creates a new tasting menu based on what is available and delicious. What talent and creativity! The majority of the food comes from within 60 miles. We were thrilled to be able to experience this treat with our daughter on a recent trip to see U Michigan.Special Features:
- Excellent farm to tableMpwolfeDined on 8/29/2014Grange is a stellar farm to table restaurant with exotic flavors deliciously prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LunachickDined on 8/28/2014We absolutely loved our experience at Grange. The food quality was excellent and the service was top notch. The specialty drinks were also outstanding. We dropped our daughter off for her freshman year and after a long day of unloading and unpacking we were looking forward to a relaxing and delicious meal which is what we got at Grange. My husband had the lake fish which was cooked to perfection. My 13yr old son had the goat cheese gnocchi with the Michigan shrimp and I had a delicious berry grain vegetable dish that was to die for. Lots of options for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Pleasantly suprised.JGinA2Dined on 8/23/2014The last time I went to The Grange, a few years ago, I was not impressed. Along with the strange layout of upstairs, main floor and downstairs for the restrooms (very steep and uneven stairs), the food was very lackluster. BUT, we celebrated a business project and decided to try The Grange. To my surprise, we were very satisfied with the food and service. Fried green tomatoes were wonderful, along with the gnoochi with MI shrimp and the duck. We risked the Corn Ice Cream?. Excellent. Had appetizers upstairs, (too dark for my taste), then sat outside and service was great in both settings. Little pricey, somewhat limited eclectic menu, but that's Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Farm to Table to Wow!DandyDined on 8/23/2014We just discovered this amazing Ann Arbor gem. Food was outstanding and the service the best in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!healthygirlDined on 8/22/2014I tried this restaurant for the first time and have been to Ann Arbor many times. It is a "foodie" restaurant in that everything is so unique. I absolutely loved that. The portions are very small and I am not a big eater and I encourage the restaurant to at least increase the sides by a few mouthfuls. The dessert was a WOW for me. I had the farmer's sundae and my husband had the homemade ice cream and we both thought it was the best we ever had and we are foodies that have eaten in many fine restaurants! I don't recommend the restaurant to people that can't think out of the ordinary but it might be too different for them. The whole scene in Ann Arbor was just amazing on a warm summer night. I just love the city.Special Features:
- Unique Ann Arbor Spothzl00bDined on 8/18/2014Excellent and interesting menu. A one-of-a-kind A-squared gem.Special Features:
- Delic BrunchNatalieDined on 8/17/2014I've been to Grange before for dinner and didn't love it to be honest. BUT...we went for Brunch this past weekend and it was wonderful! I would highly recommend Grange for lunch. The Breakfast Poutine & Lemon Pancakes were delicious. It was a nice chill environment to enjoy friends on a sunday mid afternoon. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, attentive serviceA2JessVIPDined on 8/16/2014Brought some out-of-town friends with us to experience one of our favorite local restaurants. The food, primarily sourced locally and prepared with inventive flair, was delicious. The desserts were out of this world. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- 1st Time GrangerAnnArborNewbieDined on 8/16/2014I really enjoyed the food, this was given to me as a birthday present and I had wanted to try Grange for some time. I was impressed with the atmosphere, and the gentleman that met me at the hostess stand was very polite. Our server was nice as well, however, I got the feeling that because we were only a 2-person table that we weren't getting as much attention as her other tables. I am not sure if she was very busy, or if she is not able to manage her time well as a server. I was formerly in the hospitality business and I understand things can get hectic on a Saturday night. I just simply felt like she was not very attentive to our table, and it didn't leave me with a good vibe from the "service" portion of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concept good; execution missesPlatoDined on 8/16/2014Had two appetizers and two entrees. Appetizers (duck fat fries and chorizo-dates-blue cheese) were excellent. Gnocchi was good but shrimp overcooked. Duck was very tough even with cooking only medium rare. Chef was advertised to be at an event that night so that may have had an impact. Bacon Manhattan had more smoke flavor than bacon. Would have highly recommended this place had the shrimp and duck been prepared properly.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I went to dinner with a group of co-workers from different areas of the world and we were all able to find great options. The highlight of the dinner was the dessert menu, which had many different eclectic options (rosemary ice cream)!Special Features:
- Great place for "meet the parents"A2AshleyDined on 8/9/2014Looking for a place to introduce my parents to my new boyfriend and Grange was unique and casually elegant enough to put all of us at ease. Noise level was great - so it was easy to talk and have a great conversation. Food was fantastic. Server was knowledgeable, friendly and paced us well through the meal. Fried Green Tomatoes were phenomenal! Overall a lovely dining experience...Special Features:
- Tasting menufeedmeDined on 8/9/2014We recently came to Ann Arbor for our anniversary and had dinner at the Grange. The tasting menu with the wine pairing was fantastic, definitely one if the top three meals I've had at a restaurant! They even managed to modify to gluten free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice change of pacescottVIPDined on 8/9/2014It's a foodie place, so be warned, no plain steak or chicken or fish. That being said if there is a little sense of adventure, it's a great place to go. Only hicupps were small. The gazpacho was good but warm, which threw some of us off, it was basically tomato soup, good but just tomato soup. Bread took a while to get refilled and the dishes sat awhile when we were for sure done. Prices were reasonable, dinner for two around 110 including three drinks between us, no desert and tip, pretty fair. Overall well worth a trip for something different. The craft drinks are greatSpecial Features:
- Okay?OkayDined on 8/7/2014We ate here on a Thursday night, and were very disappointed. The food was okay yet the service was horrible. Courses took 35-40 in between each and the waiter was not knowledgeable about the menu. He suggest poor wine pairings and was not attentive. I would never reccomend this place to anyone and we often travel for work.Special Features:
- Outstanding farm to table foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Our table tried 5 different items from the brunch menu and all were outstanding. Fresh, prefectly cooked and seasoned. The ice cream is devine! We couldn't resist ordering it even at 11am. Our server also deserves praise - we showed up before opening and he came out to us and brought us hot tea and all throughout the meal took great care of us. My husband and I are planning on coming back for dinner in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect nightrusskaiaDined on 8/1/2014We've liked Grange for several years already, for both brunch and dinner, and chose them as yt? He site for our final dinner with friends before moving out of state. Drinks were expertly made (the GKB Manhattan and Tea Thyme are among the best cocktails in town), apps were tasty and prompt, and despite our party members arriving and ordering at different times our delicious dinners came out together. This was the first time we lingered for dessert--the ice creams were intense and amazing. Many thanks to Grange for making our last evening in Ann Arbor a perfect one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown favoritejackDined on 8/1/2014Well connected with local produce markets to guarantee fresh food and changing menu selections. Pleasant ambiance and young enthusiastic staff. Our duck dish was undercooked, however and therefore a little tough, but flavorful. Appropriately priced and good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpartanMikeDined on 7/31/2014Nice sidewalk dining experience. Loved the duck fat fries!Special Features:
- Love!krysiaDined on 7/20/2014My friends and I met for brunch on a Sunday. Three of the four of us had never been to Grange, and had high expectations. We were not disappointed! Everything on the menu sounded so delicious, even though there were only 9-10 choices for entrees, it was hard to decide, and we were grateful to not have more to chose from! When the food did arrive, everything tasted wonderful. The list of cocktails was alluring too; we all ordered something different and they all were fantastic. We sat on the patio, which is always lovely in my opinion. Our server was personable and attentive, he made it seem like we were his only table, although, we definitely were not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - with one exception60657girlDined on 7/19/2014Nice menu with interesting takes on local fare. Started with smoked fish appetizer which was great, husband had the pork loin & meatballs and I had the spinach tagliatelle with mushrooms & poached egg - for some reason both dishes had turnips added to them (not mentioned on the menu and really not necessary in either dish). Unfortunately my egg was over poached (partly cooked yolk) and the pasta was really salty, to the point that was all I could taste after awhile and I stopped eating. Will say dessert was great - dark chocolate pudding with basil ice cream. Unfortunately the big miss on my entree was enough that it cancelled out the nice appetizer and dessert - even if it was just an off night in the kitchen.
- Great find at the Art Fair!KrisVIPDined on 7/17/2014Excellent meal and a much better alternative to the noisy art fair food court outside their door. They deserve hazard pay for having the heavy grease odor at their doorstep. Highly recommend it for dinner. Reasonably priced. Excellent food. My only minor complaint is they could have used a crisp or cobbler on their summer dessert menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent sustainable local foodA2JessVIPDined on 7/14/2014Grange just keeps getting better. Whether you're ordering a vegetarian pasta entree or a tasty take on pork, seafood or chicken, expect special touches and in season vegetables and fruits. I'm a big fan of the cocktails, the kitchen, and the desserts. An excellent destination in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- Another Great ExperienceA2WolverineDined on 7/12/2014The Grange is the best restaurant in Ann Arbor. Hands down.Special Features:
- JeeroVIPDined on 7/8/2014Intrinsically good ingredients served in creative combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night - Tasting MenudthaddeusDined on 7/5/2014My wife and I went to Grange and ordered the tasting menu. All five courses were impeccably seasoned and perfectly cooked. The gazpacho that was served for the second course was the best bowl of soup I have ever eaten. The pork tenderloin we were served was a highlight as well. It was beautifully cooked, and the risotto cooked grains were a lovely compliment to the pork and the perfectly cooked vegetables. If you love simple yet clever dishes made with fresh, seasonal ingredients, then I highly recommend Grange. I also wanted to mention that we have eaten at Grange with our daughters, 1, 3, and 5, our oldest having a tree nut allergy. I am also allergic to dairy. All of our dietary restrictions are met every time we eat at Grange.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in Ann ArborOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/5/2014The chef Brandon just keeps doing a perfect job of creating and serving marvelous food. Menu titles aren't awe-inspiring but food is incredible when it comes out. To the whole Grange team: just keep being great and thanks for great meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very averageJGinA2Dined on 6/27/2014Okay, it was restaurant week, but they were out of the entrée I wanted (off the regular menu), didn't have the sparkling MI wine I wanted, and the service was slow and harried. One of our group asked for his meat sampler cooked to the chef's recommended temp and one piece came out raw, so charred he had to send it back. Three other dishes, rib eye, chicken 3 ways, and spring vegetable risotto were all very average. Didn't try the desserts.
- Farm-to-table deliciousdoodie57Dined on 6/26/2014Love the fresh ingredients and casual atmosphere. House-made ice cream was a refreshing treatment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip dinner and have dessertSassafrasDined on 6/24/2014Dinner was so disappointing especially considering the price. The menu looked enticingly creative, but the food was lack-luster and perhaps also underseasoned. Duck fries were overcooked/dark brown. The pork was tender, but flavorless. The ribeye was okay, but you would've expected better for approx $35. The spinach salad tasted plain. TWO things were good: the French 75 cocktail and the brown butter ice cream. I recommend going there for dessert. The bar is upstairs and has sofas, so maybe have dessert up there.
- Lots of delicious flavorsa2loverDined on 6/24/2014I love the concept of Grange and fresh dining. The meat was well cooked and well marinated. I think seasonal vegetables can be hit or miss but I enjoyed the spring mix. I checked out the place for restaurant week but would definitely plan a second visit for a romantic evening with my significant other.Special Features:
- EaturfoodVIPDined on 6/22/2014We went for restaurant week. The choices were limited, but all were very good. We also enjoyed the wine and beer flights. It was very slow when we went, so it might be noisier when more crowded.