Grange Kitchen & Bar
118 W Liberty
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grange Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.grangekitchenandbar.com/
- Phone: 7349952107
- Hours of Operation:
Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 10 PM
Friday and Saturday 5PM to 11PM
Sunday Brunch 10AM to 3PM
Late night menu available upstairs
Monday through Thursday 5 PM to 11 PM
Friday and Saturday 5PM to 1AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Brandon Johns
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private area in front of main dining room. Can accommodate up to 14. Room is quaint, decorated with artwork and looks out on historic downtown Ann Arbor. Private area in upstairs bar room can accommodate up to 35.
- Private Party Contact: Brandon Johns 7349952107
- Cross Street: Main Street
- Public Transit: The main bus terminal is located 2 blocks from our restaurant. Cab service also available
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street metered parking throughout downtown, free after 6 pm and all day Sunday. Surface lots available within walking distance at Ashely & William. Covered parking 1 block at 4th and William.
A word from Grange Kitchen & Bar
Farm-to-Table Dining featuring fresh, seasonal ingredients from local farms and farmers' markets. Grange menu selections change daily in order to utilize the freshest of local and seasonal ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Grange Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
Grange Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (74)special occasion (53)neighborhood gem (43)romantic (31)great for outdoor dining (26)great for brunch (19)notable wine list (17)good for groups (15)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (6)Show More
- Delicious^2OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014I have been to the Grange twice and both times the food has been delicious. The menu has some unusual items, ingredients are locally sourced, restaurant is very nice. My family were in town visiting from overseas and this was a special night out. I recommend the Grange as a good restaurant to go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale farm house kitchenMedicknowshowtoeatDined on 10/17/2014Walking in, grange seemed like many other Ann Arbor restaurants but soon after being seated it was noticeably different. The staff were not uniformed per say but wore a sort of farm-like attire (our server wore a plaid button down shirt and jeans). The atmosphere was like that I would imagine a farmhouse kitchen to be like. My wife and I chose the chef's 5 course tasting menu with the wine pairing and we're delighted with each courses unusual and surprising combinations that seemed to be perfectly suited for an autumn evening meal. Our server was not bothersome, but attentive as I would expect from the price range. She was knowledgeable about the food and wine and added to the excitement of each course with decadent descriptions of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So GoodSusieQinYpsiDined on 10/16/2014We went to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary and has a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/10/2014Grange is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is amazing and the staff is friendly and attentive. For a more casual atmosphere, head upstairs to the bar. It's kid friendly for kids who adventure beyond mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. Great wine list and mixed drinks. Amazing hand made ice creams with interesting flavors. Food is sourced as locally as possible and is fairly seasonal. You can go casual or dressy and feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so good!tdee1993Dined on 10/4/2014Try the spicy fried chickpeas. They are inexpensive and oh so tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We enjoy grange for the ambience and delicious farm to table food. Our waitress was also amazing leading us to a better wine and indulging our own little tasting menu. Great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingchoosydinerDined on 9/27/2014Menu heavily relies upon pork. My friend and I did choose to have a salad each and share perch entree. Her side salad looked very nice and was reasonably priced at $5. My heirloom tomato salad was overpriced & had too much balsamic vinegar on the salad overwhelming the tomatoes and basil puree. It was ice the way they separately plated our shared entree. There was a very long wait between our salad and entree presentation with no appearance by the wait staff. The entree was warm but not hot. Perch was mediocre, setting on a starchy flavorless mass. The bread was quite good. The restaurant was not very crowded for a Saturday night. Their concept of locally sourced is a winner, but the execution falls short. Plus it is overpriced
- Great place, highly recommendedFoodiePhilDined on 9/26/2014Made late dinner reservations for a group of 6 on a Friday night. A member of our party is a vegetarian and very picky about his food and wines but our waitress Kim was very well informed about the menu, patient and accommodating. Food was excellent, beer was incredible, would definitely recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- MarcVIPDined on 9/23/2014Food was very good. Pleasant atmosphere and our waiter, Andrew . . . excellent!Special Features:
- Wow!FamilyskitripVIPDined on 9/23/2014Great dinner from beginning to end. The waiter was knowledgable and food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal.AspiringFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014Last Saturday was my second dinner in a week at Grange. On both visits, we were seated promptly and where we wanted to be. The servers were courteous, friendly, and knowledgeable, and the restaurant is cozy and approachable, right down to the chalkboard with specials, a list of local vendors, and the evening's ice creams. This last visit, things were delayed a bit more than expected due to timing of larger parties. My son had the duck, which was terrific. I had the pan seared chicken with chicken sausage - very tender and flavorful. We took an order of the "meat pops" - their kabobs of chorizo, blue cheese, and dates - home to my wife. A terrific appetizer. This has become one of our favorite restaurants in Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grange is tops for Farm toTablepickyeaterDined on 9/17/2014Grange Kitchen and Bar is not only the best restaurant in Ann Arbor, it is one of the best restaurants anywhere! The food could not be fresher - farm to table is accurate! They list their purveyors on the chalkboard on the wall. One night I dined alone on fried green tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes and perch. Beautiful, delicate and so flavorful. The wine pairing was perfect. My waiter was attentive without being smothering. He really knew his wines. I returned the next night with my husband for the chef's five course fantastic tasting menu My husband pronounced his Vesper cocktail among the best.The dessert of frozen watermelon, buttermilk ice cream and celery gratinee was so refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FishEnjoyDined on 9/16/2014I had the sauteed perch and it was excellent. The spices were smooth and delicious, the cornbread wonderful, and the service great. The desserts presented a variety of tastes that all complimented each other. Wonderful evening!Special Features:
- catmamaDined on 9/13/2014We had friends visiting from another state, and we wanted to show off something totally tasty and from Michigan. The Grange was perfect! We had a wonderful meal and even tasted some "new" foods! We'll be back---with or without out-of-town friends!Special Features:
- Amazing Local FareRKimballMDined on 9/12/2014Our entire experience was top notch from start to finish. The wait staff was attentive and knowledgable which was a huge plus. They accomodated my 2 young children without complaint. Most importantly the food was better than I would have ever expected. Fresh and prepared to simple perfection. Dishes weren't dressed to hide the food. The local fresh ingredients were made to shine. Simply Amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2014Delicious locally grown food with wine and beer from Michigan breweries and vineyards.Special Features:
- Consistently DeliversOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014I have been to Grange 3 times, and two of them were special occasions (an anniversary and a birthday). The service is attentive but not overbearing, and very knowledgeable about all menu items including the wine list. The ambiance is fine dining meets farm house, and the food is all locally sourced and posted to the large chalkboard. Try the ice cream for dessert. Also, make sure to get the chef's tasting menu on a visit. You won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- BirthdayDined on 9/3/2014This was our first time there and we will be back. Food was very good and staff friendly and knowledgeableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!mamalovestocook1Dined on 9/3/2014Great farm to table restaurant. Locally sourced fresh food. GREAT service!! Delicious and different menu!! Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Farm-Table ExperiencefreqdinerDined on 8/30/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the Tasting Menu with wine pairing. It was the end of August and we enjoyed the bounty of summer - grilled cantaloupe, creamy goat cheese, pesto, grilled peaches, bountiful tomatoes all perfectly and creatively executed throughout the 5 courses. Also great salmon, grilled pork loin, and an amazing dessert with buttermilk ice cream over chunks of watermelon with a celery granita. I can't think of a better way to end the sumer. I was told each night the chef creates a new tasting menu based on what is available and delicious. What talent and creativity! The majority of the food comes from within 60 miles. We were thrilled to be able to experience this treat with our daughter on a recent trip to see U Michigan.Special Features:
- Excellent farm to tableMpwolfeDined on 8/29/2014Grange is a stellar farm to table restaurant with exotic flavors deliciously prepared!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!LunachickDined on 8/28/2014We absolutely loved our experience at Grange. The food quality was excellent and the service was top notch. The specialty drinks were also outstanding. We dropped our daughter off for her freshman year and after a long day of unloading and unpacking we were looking forward to a relaxing and delicious meal which is what we got at Grange. My husband had the lake fish which was cooked to perfection. My 13yr old son had the goat cheese gnocchi with the Michigan shrimp and I had a delicious berry grain vegetable dish that was to die for. Lots of options for vegetarians and non vegetarians alike. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Pleasantly suprised.JGinA2Dined on 8/23/2014The last time I went to The Grange, a few years ago, I was not impressed. Along with the strange layout of upstairs, main floor and downstairs for the restrooms (very steep and uneven stairs), the food was very lackluster. BUT, we celebrated a business project and decided to try The Grange. To my surprise, we were very satisfied with the food and service. Fried green tomatoes were wonderful, along with the gnoochi with MI shrimp and the duck. We risked the Corn Ice Cream?. Excellent. Had appetizers upstairs, (too dark for my taste), then sat outside and service was great in both settings. Little pricey, somewhat limited eclectic menu, but that's Ann Arbor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Farm to Table to Wow!DandyVIPDined on 8/23/2014We just discovered this amazing Ann Arbor gem. Food was outstanding and the service the best in Ann Arbor.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!healthygirlDined on 8/22/2014I tried this restaurant for the first time and have been to Ann Arbor many times. It is a "foodie" restaurant in that everything is so unique. I absolutely loved that. The portions are very small and I am not a big eater and I encourage the restaurant to at least increase the sides by a few mouthfuls. The dessert was a WOW for me. I had the farmer's sundae and my husband had the homemade ice cream and we both thought it was the best we ever had and we are foodies that have eaten in many fine restaurants! I don't recommend the restaurant to people that can't think out of the ordinary but it might be too different for them. The whole scene in Ann Arbor was just amazing on a warm summer night. I just love the city.Special Features:
- Unique Ann Arbor Spothzl00bDined on 8/18/2014Excellent and interesting menu. A one-of-a-kind A-squared gem.Special Features:
- Delic BrunchNatalieDined on 8/17/2014I've been to Grange before for dinner and didn't love it to be honest. BUT...we went for Brunch this past weekend and it was wonderful! I would highly recommend Grange for lunch. The Breakfast Poutine & Lemon Pancakes were delicious. It was a nice chill environment to enjoy friends on a sunday mid afternoon. Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, attentive serviceA2JessVIPDined on 8/16/2014Brought some out-of-town friends with us to experience one of our favorite local restaurants. The food, primarily sourced locally and prepared with inventive flair, was delicious. The desserts were out of this world. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- 1st Time GrangerAnnArborNewbieDined on 8/16/2014I really enjoyed the food, this was given to me as a birthday present and I had wanted to try Grange for some time. I was impressed with the atmosphere, and the gentleman that met me at the hostess stand was very polite. Our server was nice as well, however, I got the feeling that because we were only a 2-person table that we weren't getting as much attention as her other tables. I am not sure if she was very busy, or if she is not able to manage her time well as a server. I was formerly in the hospitality business and I understand things can get hectic on a Saturday night. I just simply felt like she was not very attentive to our table, and it didn't leave me with a good vibe from the "service" portion of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concept good; execution missesPlatoDined on 8/16/2014Had two appetizers and two entrees. Appetizers (duck fat fries and chorizo-dates-blue cheese) were excellent. Gnocchi was good but shrimp overcooked. Duck was very tough even with cooking only medium rare. Chef was advertised to be at an event that night so that may have had an impact. Bacon Manhattan had more smoke flavor than bacon. Would have highly recommended this place had the shrimp and duck been prepared properly.
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014I went to dinner with a group of co-workers from different areas of the world and we were all able to find great options. The highlight of the dinner was the dessert menu, which had many different eclectic options (rosemary ice cream)!Special Features:
- Great place for "meet the parents"A2AshleyDined on 8/9/2014Looking for a place to introduce my parents to my new boyfriend and Grange was unique and casually elegant enough to put all of us at ease. Noise level was great - so it was easy to talk and have a great conversation. Food was fantastic. Server was knowledgeable, friendly and paced us well through the meal. Fried Green Tomatoes were phenomenal! Overall a lovely dining experience...Special Features:
- Tasting menufeedmeDined on 8/9/2014We recently came to Ann Arbor for our anniversary and had dinner at the Grange. The tasting menu with the wine pairing was fantastic, definitely one if the top three meals I've had at a restaurant! They even managed to modify to gluten free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice change of pacescottVIPDined on 8/9/2014It's a foodie place, so be warned, no plain steak or chicken or fish. That being said if there is a little sense of adventure, it's a great place to go. Only hicupps were small. The gazpacho was good but warm, which threw some of us off, it was basically tomato soup, good but just tomato soup. Bread took a while to get refilled and the dishes sat awhile when we were for sure done. Prices were reasonable, dinner for two around 110 including three drinks between us, no desert and tip, pretty fair. Overall well worth a trip for something different. The craft drinks are greatSpecial Features:
- Okay?OkayDined on 8/7/2014We ate here on a Thursday night, and were very disappointed. The food was okay yet the service was horrible. Courses took 35-40 in between each and the waiter was not knowledgeable about the menu. He suggest poor wine pairings and was not attentive. I would never reccomend this place to anyone and we often travel for work.Special Features:
- Outstanding farm to table foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Our table tried 5 different items from the brunch menu and all were outstanding. Fresh, prefectly cooked and seasoned. The ice cream is devine! We couldn't resist ordering it even at 11am. Our server also deserves praise - we showed up before opening and he came out to us and brought us hot tea and all throughout the meal took great care of us. My husband and I are planning on coming back for dinner in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect nightrusskaiaDined on 8/1/2014We've liked Grange for several years already, for both brunch and dinner, and chose them as yt? He site for our final dinner with friends before moving out of state. Drinks were expertly made (the GKB Manhattan and Tea Thyme are among the best cocktails in town), apps were tasty and prompt, and despite our party members arriving and ordering at different times our delicious dinners came out together. This was the first time we lingered for dessert--the ice creams were intense and amazing. Many thanks to Grange for making our last evening in Ann Arbor a perfect one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown favoritejackDined on 8/1/2014Well connected with local produce markets to guarantee fresh food and changing menu selections. Pleasant ambiance and young enthusiastic staff. Our duck dish was undercooked, however and therefore a little tough, but flavorful. Appropriately priced and good wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpartanMikeDined on 7/31/2014Nice sidewalk dining experience. Loved the duck fat fries!Special Features:
- Love!krysiaDined on 7/20/2014My friends and I met for brunch on a Sunday. Three of the four of us had never been to Grange, and had high expectations. We were not disappointed! Everything on the menu sounded so delicious, even though there were only 9-10 choices for entrees, it was hard to decide, and we were grateful to not have more to chose from! When the food did arrive, everything tasted wonderful. The list of cocktails was alluring too; we all ordered something different and they all were fantastic. We sat on the patio, which is always lovely in my opinion. Our server was personable and attentive, he made it seem like we were his only table, although, we definitely were not!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.