14001 Harpers Ferry Rd
Purcellville, VA 20132Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.grandalerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5406686000
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Friday & Saturday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Author Clark
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Farm to Table, Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Grandale Restaurant offers event catering throughout Loudoun County. Your guests will enjoy the finest in farm-fresh contemporary American cuisine served by professional wait staff and you will enjoy knowing that all the details have been taken care of. Vegetarian, vegan and specialty menus available.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer our vineyard tasting room as a wonderful private dining area for your event, serving 20 to 55 people for a seated dinner. Our After Hours pricing includes all set up, staffing, open bar and an incredible meal from Grandale. Please see our web site for pricing and dining options.
- Private Party Contact: Author Clark 5406686000
A word from Grandale Restaurant
Grandale is a unique destination restaurant celebrating the finest in farm-fresh contemporary American cuisine. If you'd like, enjoy a wine tasting at our vineyard before your meal. Then relax in front of our wood-burning fireplace or outdoors on our patio with an exquisite meal where flavor after flavor will intrigue and delight you. We have an extensive Virginia and international wine list and offer a paired tasting menu the first and third Friday nights of every month.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Grandale Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Purcellville ›
Grandale Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (54)great for outdoor dining (52)special occasion (37)fit for foodies (30)romantic (27)great for lunch (27)notable wine list (19)great for brunch (16)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good food, pleasant scenery!EmilyDC2010Dined on 9/14/2014My husband and I went to the 828 Vineyard for the Grandale Restaurant for lunch on Sunday. The weather was perfect (cool and sunny) and the food was delicious. We sat out on the deck, which was wonderful! The vineyard/restaurant is about an hour and a quarter from DC. It's a pretty easy, bucolic drive. I ordered the soup of the day and husband had the pork soup (sorry, don't remember the menu name). For mains, I had the BLT and he had the spetzle. All were delicious! Unfortunately, though, the service was quite slow. It appears that they were understaffed, so I'm sure the food usually arrives in a more timely fashion. Overall, the experience was lovely, the food delicious, and the vineyard picturesque. I recommend it!Special Features:
- It is always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/7/2014We have been many times to Grandale it is always a fantastic dinning experienceSpecial Features:
- Lovely dinnerNashnaDined on 9/6/2014The service and food were outstanding. Much more than you would expect from such a small restaurant. The wines were reasonably priced and were local offerings. The restaurant is part of the 868 Winery which is right next door. The owners and staff at both the winery and Grandale are friendly and eager for their guests to have a great experience. I had been to 868 for a children's Rugby event and had some of their winery food which consisted of pizza, hamburger, hot dog ($3.00!!!) and a great beef kabob. This led us to consider their restaurant as a dinner option. We sampled some wine before dinner, then walked a few steps to the restaurant. The fish was outstanding and the filet of beef was very tender. What a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Winey and RestaurantlovegoodfoodDined on 9/6/2014We wanted a day outing for 4 of us. We went to a winery for a wine tasting and lunch. It was a beautiful setting and the service was wonderful. The wine tasted during the wine tasting was really very good. After the wine tasting we all went over to the Grandale Restaurant for lunch. Two of us ordered crab cakes with a salad. The crab cakes were solid crab meat with very little filler. One other individual in the party had the soup of the day which was a cold tomato soup and they said it was excellent. Another person ordered a chili/soup and it was also good. Hamburger and Turkey sandwiches were a good size and tasty.Special Features:
- Food Great, Service Not-so-much5fromVirginiaDined on 9/5/2014As usual, Grandale Farm Restaurant's Friday tasting/pairing provided wonderful surprises for the palate. The four courses proved to be creative, tasty, and fun. Unfortunately, the service has degraded from past experiences. While friendly and warm, our server acted primarily as a delivery system. She only provided explanations of the courses and wine upon request and fumbled each time with details. There didn't seem to be the usual pride in the menu as in times past. We understand the cooking staff has changed, so perhaps the entire experience is downgrading. Only time will tell. Please show the pride and professionalism we were so fond of in times past.Special Features:
- Good, but somewhat disappointedKateDined on 8/31/2014The night started off rocky when they didn't have my open table reservation. They were also out of two of the main dishes we wanted to try and also the soup of the day. I was also disappointed with the limited available wines by the glass. My husband's leek soup was just okay. Our steaks were very good and well cooked, and the mashed potatoes and veggies were delicious. We tried a chocolate decadence and pineapple creme brulee for dessert. The chocolate decadence was too heavy for my taste. The creme brulee was fun but didn't come with the strawberries it advertised. I really wanted to like this place, but I don't think we'll be coming back.
- Lunch visitCelebrateDined on 8/30/2014Visited Sat and had lunch outdoors. We had the burger and it was delicious and service was very good!!Special Features:
- bruceDined on 8/29/2014lovely area food was great- out in the country-steaks were fabulous-beautiful surroundings- will deftly returnSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014My past dining experiences at Grandale have been super. I've had superior food. This time, I had the crabcakes. The ones at Passion Fish are superior. This meal was mundane. The large purple Yukon potatoes were too large. I had one smaller one that was yummy. The veggies were nothing special. Is there a new cook?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Notable lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/15/2014They are now open for lunch on Friday and Saturday. We came on a pretty day and ate out on the deck. Food, service and view were all exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Required Wine Country Dining!xxxxxxVIPDined on 8/10/2014Asked to be seated on the deck so that your delicious meal can be savored while enjoying a wonderful view across the valley.Special Features:
- Great outdoor spaceNicoDined on 8/9/2014Very good food, butnot the best I've had. I loved the view on the garden and the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findAnn2fineDined on 8/9/2014Happened to see the restaurant listing while searching restaurants near harpers ferry - only 20 minutes from WV Lovely place for all ages Waiter excellent and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great meal!LauraBDined on 8/3/2014Not our first time at Grandale. They were just at the end of "Farm to Fork Loudoun", and had a special menu, but all four of us ordered off the regular menu. All were cooked as we asked, and tasted great! Our waiter, Ryan, was attentive, without being intrusive. The only drawback to the whole time was the noise level. There was a large party (10?) and all the other tables were filled, and the dining room is small, so the noise made it difficult to hear conversation at times. Normally we would have asked for a table outside, but rain was threatening. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had high hopesDisapointedDined on 8/2/2014Was looking forward to a nice farm to market meal in a nice vineyard setting. However for the price charged the service really lagged and was not attentive. Cannot say I will revisit in the near future.Special Features:
- The best part of my weekCarolDined on 8/1/2014Grandale has an inventive menu that is always a treat to enjoy. Thanks to Chef Arthur I have enjoyed a variety of dishes beyond my typical meat and potatoes. The staff is always kind and fun to interact with. The view has no rival as you are on a farm/vineyard surrounded by mountains. It is my favorite place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot but Service just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Been here few times great place and romantic. My wifes meal they brought twice wrong and did not even comp it. Beyound that it was good. The waitress was too young and should know the wine list better. More experienced serverSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre at bestBerthaDined on 7/25/2014Shorts tee shirts and cruddy sneakers seemed to be dress code. Crab cakes mushy. Definitely not backfin. Husbands chicken nothing to write home about. I have had far better crab cakes at Johns Cafe in Ranson WV for one-third price. Hoped for a special outing and sorely disappointed.
- Terrible serviceLocalDined on 7/19/2014This makes the second time that the poor service has overshadowed the quality food. At this private price point, it's just unbelievable and unacceptable that the service staff is so inattentive and unprofessional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisKChrisDined on 7/18/2014Delmonico Steak was really good. Tuna (ordered medium) was a bit dry, perhaps because of how it was ordered. Side dishes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food ExcellentdisappointedDined on 7/17/2014We had dinner there on Thursday July 17th and found the food was excellent. The service was slow with only one server for the whole restaurant and she also acted as a hostess. The server worked very hard but was overwhelmed with lack of help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food- local ingredientsLuvfinediningDined on 7/12/2014We have been to Grandale four times and have had excellent food every time. They have very good local wines and the wait staff is very knowledgable about pairings. On the last visit, there was a large table of college students celebrating a birthday. The inside portion of the restaurant is fairly small. So, on this night, it was very loud and the service was slow. However, our servers were very entertaining and friendly, we had good friends with us, and so we ended up having a great meal and a great time. We will definately be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique menu, fresh & localParrotMomVIPDined on 7/12/2014Some truly outstanding dishes and a few that are a bit off the mark; seafood and vegetarian dishes are memorable, but red meat is hit or miss, depending on the cut. The menu changes regularly and the daily specials are fun & tasty. Grandale has an outstanding selection of local wines and even some organic options. The servers are knowledgeable and accommodating as well as very friendly, rounding out a pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:
- Grandale LunchHalsDined on 7/12/2014Outstanding food delivered by knowledgeable and friendly staff in a beautiful wine country setting.Special Features:
- Great View/Great FoodLuvfood132Dined on 7/11/2014This was our second time dinning here and it was fabulous! Our first time we had lunch while wine tasting and the second visit we had dinner. Menu is small but everything we have had is amazing! I had the filet minion with mash potatoes and grilled vegetables and there wasn't a speck of food left on my plate;it was that good! Dessert was also excellent and of course the wine. Definitely recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch.ladyluncher1Dined on 7/11/2014My 3 friends and I had lunch at Grandale. The weather cooperated and we took advantage of the outdoor dining area. What a beautiful setting! Our meals were delicious, and service was very good. This was my second time at Grandale, another great experience. My friends definitely want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice!JEMPAMDined on 7/10/2014The food was great and the ambiance very pleasant. It is a small place and there was a little kitchen noise, but that was probably more noticeable due to it being an early Thursday evening and only two couples in the dining room. Would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableTeddyDined on 7/6/2014The wine tasting and brunch was quite enjoyable and we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/5/2014As always well above average. We had the special venison medallions, appetizer was grouper and desert was the cheese plate ...all deliciousSpecial Features:
- lovely vista and atmosphereluvloudounDined on 6/28/2014This is a lovely place to dine, country casual with vistas of Loudoun's lush countryside. My husband and I went to enjoy a romantic dinner, and it was, especially as we dined on the outside deck on a beautiful evening. The food was excellent, but you need to order sides, because the sides that came with the meal were really more decorative, at least for my meal. But if you order a starter, and plan on dessert, the entree size is perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VA Wines!LoveLocalPlacesDined on 6/21/2014Finally a local restaurant that features Virginia wines! The restaurant IS on the grounds of 868 Estate Winery and offers those wines as well as others from around the state. The small dining room was pleasant and the menu options all sounded good. Service was wonderful. The drive from the Fairfax area was lovely and helped make this a great day trip.Special Features:
- Real foodKentishgirlDined on 6/21/2014My husband and I found this restaurant as we were looking for possible caterers for our daughters wedding. It was a spur of the moment decision to go and we were not disappointed. On first entering the restaurant we were a little apprehensive due to the lack of decor and the "plane jane" look. (The weather was not great so we were not able to sit outside). However, all was forgiven as our meal was served. The wine was great and not outrageously priced, and the food....YUM! The salad was so fresh and had these candied bacon bits on it, simply divine! My lamb actually tasted like lamb! And my husbans steak melted in the mouth. All was served quickly and with a friendly smile. We are definitely planning on going back!Special Features:
- Nice outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Service was friendly but a bit slow. Food was good but not all choices were available and menu is quote limited. Very nice outdoor dining spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerBillyDined on 6/12/2014Celebrated our 49th wedding anniversary here. Rainy evening - couldn't sit outdoors as hoped. Had great service and delicious meals. Delmonico steak for me, crab cakes for my wife. Had a very enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Higher Expectations Not Metrtn37VIPDined on 6/7/2014We had extremely high expectations of this restaurant based on its reputation. We came here for my birthday. The meal was good but not outstanding. My food was not hot (which I am picky about) and my meat was not cooked to my liking but it was too dark outside to really see it well enough to send it back so I just brought it home for leftovers. The soup special was quite watery. All in all, it was a pricey meal that didn't meet our expectations.
- Awesome eveningSunburstDined on 6/6/2014My family took my mother here for her birthday. The weather was perfect, and so was the food, service and setting. We could not have asked for a better evening all the way round. I would recommend Grandale Restaurant. It will only be enhanced as they expand their selection of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American cuisine hits the markdencarDined on 5/28/2014The Grandale Restaurant scenic setting is worthy of a visit. However, the restaurant is equal to the scenic setting. It is American cuisine, prepared with local ingredients, and with knowledgeable servers. The four of us had various appetizers, wines, and entrees. Each item was outstanding. and the choice of vegetables fresh with a light seasoning. A surprise for all of us were the gruyere grits, the best we ever had. The orange roughy is perfect, however I wanted 2nds and 3rds. The pork porterhouse was tender, moist, flavorful and big. Bring and appetite. The wine choices recommended by the the server complimented our choices.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchUnhappyDined on 5/25/2014Food was delicious! Had the "3 wine tastings" with brunch and wine wasn't on the same par as the food. Ate outdoors and loved it! Will definitely go back and also won't be disappointed eating indoors as well. Lovely inside, like a small French Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local food and drink done well!hillsborofoodieDined on 5/24/2014We dined at Grandale with our daughter and son-in-law, both foodies and wine/beer connoisseurs. Perfect choice with high quality food ingredients, local wines and samples of the local growing beer industry. We highly recommend you try this restaurant especially on a lovely spring evening out on the patio. All our choices were perfectly cooked and artistically placed on the plates. What a fun enjoyable evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Grandale Restaurant reviews archive.
- FoodieDined on 5/18/2014Nice way to spend a Sunday! Food was very fresh, beautiful presentation, friendly, comfortable atmosphere.Special Features: