Grand Street Cafe
4740 Grand Ave
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grand Street Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://grandstreetcafe.com/
- Phone: 8165618000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Miguel Medina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Grand Street Cafe is available to cater events from a few people to a few hundred people. Let their culinary team create an unforgettable menu specific to your event. Let us handle all of the details- from a cocktail reception to a multiple course dining experience.
We can also accomodate your private party here at the restaurant! Seating from 8 to 400, ask how you can rent private rooms to fit your needs.
- Special Events: Happy Hour Monday - Friday 3pm - 6pm with great drink specials- $3 glasses of wine, $ 2.25 draft beer, $3 well drinks
Thursday half price bottles of wine (under $75)
A word from Grand Street Cafe
Get comfortable, settle in, and let us introduce you to the Grand Street Cafe. The food is great, hearty and honest. It is also innovative and exciting without being flighty. Grand Street uses the freshest seasonal ingredients as they become available. Their commitment to freshness and quality is first and foremost. So, come in, relax, and let the Grand Street Cafe treat you to a little hospitality. Grand Street Cafe is one of the top restaurants in Kansas City. Rated "Excellent" by Zagat for 2005 and 2006. Rated as one of the best restaurants in the city by the readers of Ingram's magazine. Winner of numerous awards for Best Sunday Brunch, Best Service, and Best Business Lunch. So come see what all of the accolades are about, and don't forget the fantastic Happy Hour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Grand Street Cafe - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Grand Street Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (65)neighborhood gem (65)fit for foodies (61)special occasion (58)great for brunch (57)great for outdoor dining (52)good for groups (51)romantic (31)notable wine list (24)scenic view (12)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Great saladsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/17/2014The grilled salmon salad was excellent. The dessert (cake) was way above expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New MenuRenhouseDined on 9/7/2014They are working out a new brunch menu at Grand St. So far, not working so great. Cinnamon rolls were much worse than usual, quiche was terrible and the new huevos rancheros was not as good as I've had it before. I think the attention to the new dishes led them to slack off on the old tried and true.Special Features:
- What went wrong?munchieVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have always loved the brunch here. This week the quiche was dry, too dry to eat. The fish salad was quite strange. If they wish to try new things it shouldn't be on customers. We can't imagine it passing any kind of taste test. They did improve upon the fruit from past weeks. At least it was cut up enough to fit on your plate. We have always given Grand Sttreet high marks, but, not this time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014I was very happy with everything, service, food taste, wine and drink, except that I ordered the scallops and I received 3 total. This would have been fine if they had all been large, but one was very small, one was medium sized, and one fairly large, and frankly for 28 dollars, I expected more. The rest of the entrees in my group seemed so large compared to mine.Special Features:
- ClassicamckcDined on 9/5/2014Grand Street Cafe, in my opinion, is an often overlooked restaurant since it's tucked away and not quite on the Plaza. However, it is truly a hidden jewel. The food is amazing, and the atmosphere is laid-back upscale. I've never had a dish that I didn't like, and the service is always great. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone living in or visiting the KC area. The portions are huge! My Mother and I split the chicken and there was more than enough to satisfy. I also had the house salad and it was amazing, I think I'm still having dreams about that salad, actually. And definitely take a look at the dessert tray. Wow. That's all I can say.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotConcertVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had a wonderful lunch. Thge swordfish was delicious and we shared a wondrful apple desert. Parking is always great here.Special Features:
- Very GoodFoodieDined on 8/31/2014I believe they overfeed you! Between the menu, the buffet and the sweet rolls - it is an amazing deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenceDined on 8/25/2014I have dined at Grand Street on many occaisions and always had a good experience, but Monday evening was a disater! Terrible service, less than stellar food - and this was not a busy evening at the restuarant. I hope things improve fast!
- foodielDined on 8/24/2014This was an outstanding location for brunch. The service and food were fantastic with plenty of options for gluten free folks like me. We will definitely be back many times.Special Features:
- Just wanted to say thank you.CreatingMemoriesDined on 8/20/2014The only small draw back was the service. He was a little slow refilling the drinks and checking back with us, but made up with his very pleasant and eager to please personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/12/2014This was my first time visiting and I'm only sad that I waited so long to do so. I'd seen the sign for the restaurant many times but just wasn't sure what to think based on the location (it appears to be in a boring office building, but that's just from the back - it's very nice when you enter the right door!) The food was amazing (I had the Thai shrimp wrap, my friend had the chicken salad). I wish we could have ordered a little bit of everything. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Grand Street Cafe Kansas CityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Excellent waiter, Joe. Food we'll prepared and tasty. Had egg rolls, beet salad and trout entree Music was too loud to have conversation but was turned down upon request.Special Features:
- HungryVIPDined on 8/3/2014We went for Sunday brunch. I had the salad with salmon. Salad was a bit soggey; salmon was okay. The buffet saved the day, especially the shrimp. I think I prefer your 4-6 small plates special to the brunch. I'll be back, but probably not for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014This is the second time I've been to Grand Street Cafe for brunch. Both times were great. There is an abundance of food on the appetizer bar and a very nice assortment of entrees to choose from. The food is high quality and obviously freshly prepared. The service was great. It's a great spot for couple or for groups. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Very good menuJGT458Dined on 8/2/2014Had a martini then shared a couple of small plates and split a pasta entre - everything was great. Really enjoyed the mushroom and swill spring rolls Very good dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014food and service was superb. one of the best restaurants in kc for the last 23 yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemSaraDined on 7/26/2014The only reason we found this place is because it was listed on Open Table and could accommodate our group of 10 on a Saturday night with short notice. So glad we chose it! The food was great and it was perfect for our group. Also, we loved their happy hour menu and took full advantage of that as the night wore on. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DenandRodDined on 7/26/2014Very nice! Food is very good, consistent each time we visit Grand Street. Service does not always match the food quality. Location is great - centrally located and on the Plaza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialTOGDDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I have been eating at Grand Street pretty much since it opened. Although management and decor have changed over the years it remains one of the best fine dining experiences in Kansas City. A house specialty, the pork chop is always great and on our most resent visit the fish specials we had were excellent. I didn't realize there was such a thing as Israeli coos coos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining on the patioboboVIPDined on 7/15/2014At lunch on a very nice day, the outdoor patio is a great place to dine. The lunch menu was nice--Charlie's Chicken Salad and a club sandwich with home made chips. The server was very attentive. Overall, a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingdetroitdinerDined on 7/12/2014Learned about this restaurant through Trip Advisor. The experience was fabulous, from the food to the server. Will definitely return when we visit KC.Special Features:
- Don't eat at Grand Street Cafeawmax99Dined on 7/11/2014Food was bland, service was slow, won’t go back. The appetizer was the best part of the meal. But once it was eaten, the server never picked up the plates. Our water and soda glasses were empty multiple times. When the dinner plates came out, they had to remove our appetizer plates before she could set our dinner down. The food looked nice, but it wasn’t seasoned. Risotto was very bland and we had to add salt at the table to make it edible, salmon was way over cooked and tough. I had a hard time choosing between the filet minion and the scallops. The table next to us was presented with two specials while our waiter only gave us one. I would have loved to had the special filet minion and scallops.
- BurgersSuseVIPDined on 7/8/2014You've brought back your good old recipe for hamburgers! Thank you!
- Just okkellomeDined on 7/5/2014The service was excellent, however, the food was a bit disappointing.
- We eat outside and it was great.oscar123VIPDined on 7/5/2014Grand Street is a great place for good food and we enjoyed eating outside on patio.Special Features:
- Gem on the plazaKcmoremDined on 6/30/2014Give this hidden gem a try great food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Service was great with a reasonably priced wine list. Our fish was overcooked and flavorless.Special Features:
- kcfoodieDined on 6/24/2014Great service; Great menu. Cool place just of the Plaza to grab a bite and hang out.Special Features:
- A TiphhanoverDined on 6/21/2014On the menu is a Chicken Ciabatta sandwich, which is good. However, if you ask the wait staff, you can get the same sandwich with a salmon filet substituted for the chicken, which is crazy good.Special Features:
- So close to right.MrDoggityDined on 6/21/2014My wife loved the Hanna Sauv Blanc and I got one of my faves - Estancia Pinot Noir. I ordered the wedge salad, and she ordered the beet salad. The service was very good. The beet salad was a solid triple - the only strange thing was a weird fig ball that neither of us could figure out, and it was dry and odd. Otherwise - great. The wedge - pretty good. Not enough bacon, and the WORST chicken I can recall ever paying for. Don't get me wrong, the salad was very good. Crisp, cold, superb dressing, mostly very good, but I would have opted for more bacon and omitted that nasty, flavorless, dry, tough chicken. If I order that wedge again, I'll tell them I'm allergic to chicken, because I am allergic to any chicken that bad. Mostly very good.Special Features:
- One of my favoriteKansasCityChrisDined on 6/21/2014I have enjoyed Grand Street for years and am never disappointed, whether for lunch or dinner. The food is always fresh and presented pleasantly. This time the waiter seemed to be new and a little unsure of himself. However, he didn't hesitate to get someone more informed to answer a couple of questions. This is a restaurant I'm always willing to recommend.Special Features:
- What a MEALRyleighKCDined on 6/21/2014Such a diverse and wonderful menu- from appetizers to desserts. I cannot express how incredibly tasty their food is. The décor is beautiful, and the wait staff was really attentive and knowledgeable too. Every person in my group RAVED about their order choices, and I would HIGHLY recommend this place to out of town guests, as well as, local foodies. WOW is all I have to say about their new menu and chef! I would eat here at any opportunity.Special Features:
- Great food, great patio, great servDaveMullikinVIPDined on 6/20/2014We love to sit on the patio for lunch or dinner. Pam had the Paparadelle Pasta and I had (as I always do) the Pork Chop. Caesar salads are always a goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite of ours!ConnieDined on 6/19/2014Every time we come to KC, this is #1 on our list of restaurants! The food, presentation, and service are excellent!Special Features:
- Lovely happy hour celebrationgaleDined on 6/18/2014Group of 8 had an excellent time. Happy hour small plates & cocktails were delicious and we had fun sampling several dishes. Definitely on my list for the next friends' get together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014I have eaten at Grand Street Cafe before but never for brunch. It was so good! I can't wait to go back. I was so full and bummed because I couldn't even find any room for the dessert bar but it looked amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful decor, subpar foodKCfoodieDined on 6/13/2014We were excited to see the beautiful new decor when we walked in. The place looks great! Out waitress was not very pleasant, and we had to flag her down every time we needed anything. The wine we ordered was super warm, almost hot. Even red wine is not supposed to be served at 80 degrees! Crab cakes tasted fishy, and sauces were to chunky and didn't taste very good. The chicken entree was dry & tough, had to saw at it with a steak knife. The best part of our meal were the small salads we got before our meal. It didn't justify the $122 check what so ever.
- Grand Street was grand!Billy12Dined on 6/13/2014Everything about the dinner was perfect. From the small plates to the special of the evening, Grouper.....delicious!Special Features:
- Late lunch paradiseTheHungreyPoetDined on 6/13/2014Treated a friend to a 2pm lunch on a Friday afternoon. This place was heaven! The staff was attentive without being overbearing. The special was grouper with asparagus and it didn’t disappoint. The wine pours were generous to say the least. They were obviously making preparations for the dinner rush, but they went about the transition in a way that did not detract from our dining experience. I would highly recommend this wonderful neighborhood gem. The parking is also very convenient and the prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Dinner with friendsFriendsDined on 6/9/2014I really enjoyed the opportunity to dine with old friends at the Grand Street Café. The food was excellent, noise level at a point we could converse easily, and pleasant wait staff. We plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.