Grand Street Cafe
4740 Grand Ave
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grand Street Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://grandstreetcafe.com/
- Phone: 8165618000x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 2:00pm - 9:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Miguel Medina
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Grand Street Cafe is available to cater events from a few people to a few hundred people. Let their culinary team create an unforgettable menu specific to your event. Let us handle all of the details- from a cocktail reception to a multiple course dining experience.
We can also accomodate your private party here at the restaurant! Seating from 8 to 400, ask how you can rent private rooms to fit your needs.
- Special Events: Happy Hour Monday - Friday 3pm - 6pm with great drink specials- $3 glasses of wine, $ 2.25 draft beer, $3 well drinks
Thursday half price bottles of wine (under $75)
A word from Grand Street Cafe
Get comfortable, settle in, and let us introduce you to the Grand Street Cafe. The food is great, hearty and honest. It is also innovative and exciting without being flighty. Grand Street uses the freshest seasonal ingredients as they become available. Their commitment to freshness and quality is first and foremost. So, come in, relax, and let the Grand Street Cafe treat you to a little hospitality. Grand Street Cafe is one of the top restaurants in Kansas City. Rated "Excellent" by Zagat for 2005 and 2006. Rated as one of the best restaurants in the city by the readers of Ingram's magazine. Winner of numerous awards for Best Sunday Brunch, Best Service, and Best Business Lunch. So come see what all of the accolades are about, and don't forget the fantastic Happy Hour!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Grand Street Cafe - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Grand Street Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)great for lunch (55)fit for foodies (55)special occasion (54)great for brunch (50)good for groups (45)great for outdoor dining (44)romantic (26)notable wine list (25)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (9)Show More
- Won't be backDinerDined on 10/11/2014We hadn't been to Grand St. Cafe in years so decided to give it a shot. What a waste of a night out! The waitress was completely clueless about the menu and didn't know how to open our bottle of wine. The food arrived cold. So we returned it and the manager asked us to "save the warm part" on another plate rather than redo the entire meal. We nearly laughed when he gave me a plate with a 1/2 eaten asparagus. We definitely won't be back there....
- coolfredDined on 10/8/2014The atmosphere was excellent....I had a guest in from out of town and her comment was "this is a cool restaurant"Special Features:
- Quality diningEdwiqDined on 10/5/2014We like the atmosphere in the restaurant. The service was great, and the food was very nice and presented well. We will dine there again, and soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kinghouseVIPDined on 10/3/2014We were in a hurry and our server was extremely attentive and got us out in plenty of time.Special Features:
- Bob46VIPDined on 9/30/2014An excellent restaurant with creative, fresh food. Our waitress was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Tough SteakaliceDined on 9/27/2014I ordered the steak salad, medium. It was well done and too tough to eat. The other members of the party were pleased with their food. The service was very good, very friendly. The ambiance very nice as well.Special Features:
- SatisfiedHappyDinerVIPDined on 9/27/2014Great restaurant with very good food and atmosphere. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- great eveninghappydinersVIPDined on 9/23/2014Always dependable for food. Varied and interesting menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This Place!PlazafoodieDined on 9/19/2014This is one of our favorites. It is perfect for so many occasions. I have had lunch, dinner & hosted a couple of business & family parties at this wonderful restaurant. The food is delious & appeals to all. I highly recommend a visit bSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatCourtneyDined on 9/19/2014We were seated right away and our server was great. The food never disappoints, always one of my go-to restaurants around the plaza.
- Great saladsprofDined on 9/17/2014The grilled salmon salad was excellent. The dessert (cake) was way above expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New MenuRenhouseDined on 9/7/2014They are working out a new brunch menu at Grand St. So far, not working so great. Cinnamon rolls were much worse than usual, quiche was terrible and the new huevos rancheros was not as good as I've had it before. I think the attention to the new dishes led them to slack off on the old tried and true.Special Features:
- What went wrong?munchieVIPDined on 9/7/2014We have always loved the brunch here. This week the quiche was dry, too dry to eat. The fish salad was quite strange. If they wish to try new things it shouldn't be on customers. We can't imagine it passing any kind of taste test. They did improve upon the fruit from past weeks. At least it was cut up enough to fit on your plate. We have always given Grand Sttreet high marks, but, not this time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014I was very happy with everything, service, food taste, wine and drink, except that I ordered the scallops and I received 3 total. This would have been fine if they had all been large, but one was very small, one was medium sized, and one fairly large, and frankly for 28 dollars, I expected more. The rest of the entrees in my group seemed so large compared to mine.Special Features:
- ClassicamckcDined on 9/5/2014Grand Street Cafe, in my opinion, is an often overlooked restaurant since it's tucked away and not quite on the Plaza. However, it is truly a hidden jewel. The food is amazing, and the atmosphere is laid-back upscale. I've never had a dish that I didn't like, and the service is always great. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone living in or visiting the KC area. The portions are huge! My Mother and I split the chicken and there was more than enough to satisfy. I also had the house salad and it was amazing, I think I'm still having dreams about that salad, actually. And definitely take a look at the dessert tray. Wow. That's all I can say.Special Features:
- Great lunch spotConcertVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had a wonderful lunch. Thge swordfish was delicious and we shared a wondrful apple desert. Parking is always great here.Special Features:
- Very GoodFoodieDined on 8/31/2014I believe they overfeed you! Between the menu, the buffet and the sweet rolls - it is an amazing deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaurenceVIPDined on 8/25/2014I have dined at Grand Street on many occaisions and always had a good experience, but Monday evening was a disater! Terrible service, less than stellar food - and this was not a busy evening at the restuarant. I hope things improve fast!
- foodielDined on 8/24/2014This was an outstanding location for brunch. The service and food were fantastic with plenty of options for gluten free folks like me. We will definitely be back many times.Special Features:
- Just wanted to say thank you.CreatingMemoriesDined on 8/20/2014The only small draw back was the service. He was a little slow refilling the drinks and checking back with us, but made up with his very pleasant and eager to please personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, great foodrdcap98Dined on 8/12/2014This was my first time visiting and I'm only sad that I waited so long to do so. I'd seen the sign for the restaurant many times but just wasn't sure what to think based on the location (it appears to be in a boring office building, but that's just from the back - it's very nice when you enter the right door!) The food was amazing (I had the Thai shrimp wrap, my friend had the chicken salad). I wish we could have ordered a little bit of everything. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Grand Street Cafe Kansas CityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014Excellent waiter, Joe. Food we'll prepared and tasty. Had egg rolls, beet salad and trout entree Music was too loud to have conversation but was turned down upon request.Special Features:
- HungryVIPDined on 8/3/2014We went for Sunday brunch. I had the salad with salmon. Salad was a bit soggey; salmon was okay. The buffet saved the day, especially the shrimp. I think I prefer your 4-6 small plates special to the brunch. I'll be back, but probably not for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2014This is the second time I've been to Grand Street Cafe for brunch. Both times were great. There is an abundance of food on the appetizer bar and a very nice assortment of entrees to choose from. The food is high quality and obviously freshly prepared. The service was great. It's a great spot for couple or for groups. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Very good menuJGT458Dined on 8/2/2014Had a martini then shared a couple of small plates and split a pasta entre - everything was great. Really enjoyed the mushroom and swill spring rolls Very good dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/29/2014food and service was superb. one of the best restaurants in kc for the last 23 yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemSaraDined on 7/26/2014The only reason we found this place is because it was listed on Open Table and could accommodate our group of 10 on a Saturday night with short notice. So glad we chose it! The food was great and it was perfect for our group. Also, we loved their happy hour menu and took full advantage of that as the night wore on. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DenandRodDined on 7/26/2014Very nice! Food is very good, consistent each time we visit Grand Street. Service does not always match the food quality. Location is great - centrally located and on the Plaza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always specialTOGDDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I have been eating at Grand Street pretty much since it opened. Although management and decor have changed over the years it remains one of the best fine dining experiences in Kansas City. A house specialty, the pork chop is always great and on our most resent visit the fish specials we had were excellent. I didn't realize there was such a thing as Israeli coos coos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining on the patioboboVIPDined on 7/15/2014At lunch on a very nice day, the outdoor patio is a great place to dine. The lunch menu was nice--Charlie's Chicken Salad and a club sandwich with home made chips. The server was very attentive. Overall, a nice time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingdetroitdinerDined on 7/12/2014Learned about this restaurant through Trip Advisor. The experience was fabulous, from the food to the server. Will definitely return when we visit KC.Special Features:
- Don't eat at Grand Street Cafeawmax99Dined on 7/11/2014Food was bland, service was slow, won’t go back. The appetizer was the best part of the meal. But once it was eaten, the server never picked up the plates. Our water and soda glasses were empty multiple times. When the dinner plates came out, they had to remove our appetizer plates before she could set our dinner down. The food looked nice, but it wasn’t seasoned. Risotto was very bland and we had to add salt at the table to make it edible, salmon was way over cooked and tough. I had a hard time choosing between the filet minion and the scallops. The table next to us was presented with two specials while our waiter only gave us one. I would have loved to had the special filet minion and scallops.
- BurgersSuseVIPDined on 7/8/2014You've brought back your good old recipe for hamburgers! Thank you!
- Just okkellomeDined on 7/5/2014The service was excellent, however, the food was a bit disappointing.
- We eat outside and it was great.oscar123VIPDined on 7/5/2014Grand Street is a great place for good food and we enjoyed eating outside on patio.Special Features:
- Gem on the plazaKcmoremDined on 6/30/2014Give this hidden gem a try great food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Service was great with a reasonably priced wine list. Our fish was overcooked and flavorless.Special Features:
- The following 932 reviews are from the Grand Street Cafe reviews archive.
- kcfoodieDined on 6/24/2014Great service; Great menu. Cool place just of the Plaza to grab a bite and hang out.Special Features:
- A TiphhanoverDined on 6/21/2014On the menu is a Chicken Ciabatta sandwich, which is good. However, if you ask the wait staff, you can get the same sandwich with a salmon filet substituted for the chicken, which is crazy good.Special Features:
- So close to right.MrDoggityDined on 6/21/2014My wife loved the Hanna Sauv Blanc and I got one of my faves - Estancia Pinot Noir. I ordered the wedge salad, and she ordered the beet salad. The service was very good. The beet salad was a solid triple - the only strange thing was a weird fig ball that neither of us could figure out, and it was dry and odd. Otherwise - great. The wedge - pretty good. Not enough bacon, and the WORST chicken I can recall ever paying for. Don't get me wrong, the salad was very good. Crisp, cold, superb dressing, mostly very good, but I would have opted for more bacon and omitted that nasty, flavorless, dry, tough chicken. If I order that wedge again, I'll tell them I'm allergic to chicken, because I am allergic to any chicken that bad. Mostly very good.Special Features: