Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro
4401 Wilson Blvd.
Arlington, VA 22203Neighborhood:
French AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://grandcru-wine.com/
- Phone: 7032437900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: J. Trent Conry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Full service catering including alcohol for small to medium sized events.
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties can be scheduled at Grand Cru by contacting the restaurant. Groups are limited to 50 seats inside or 60 seats outside.
- Cross Street: Glebe
- Public Transit: Ballston Metro Stop on the Orange Line. Exit and walk kitty corner through the courtyard with the Cosi and Potbelly Sandwich shops. Grand Cru is located in the next courtyard with the fountain.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking on Taylor or lots at Ballston Commons mall or the Westin Hotel.
A word from Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro
Grand Cru is a French American Bistro and Wine bar offering fine food in a cozy European style atmosphere. One of the key advantages of Grand Cru is our on site wine store with over 450 premium wines from around the world. Any of these retail priced wines can be enjoyed with your dinner with a modest on premise service fee. Grand Cru also features a selection of over 50 domestic and hard to get imported beers. The menu at Grand Cru consists of an impressive array of tapas items, world class entrees, fondue and hand crafted desserts. the idea is equisite food paired great wines at a price you can afford. But if you are in the mood to eat at home, stop by and pick up a bottle of wine to go.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)great for outdoor dining (27)notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (20)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)special occasion (5)late-night find (4)good for groups (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- LemonyPersnicketVIPDined on 10/16/2014Cheese fondu, chicken, and steak were all very good as always. I'm hoping this place stays an undiscovered secret but it seems busier everytime I go there. Staff is always friendly and seems consistent. I'll be back.Special Features:
- Great discovery!MillsVIPDined on 10/12/2014This was our second visit to Grand Cru, recommended by my young dentist! Both times, we had the Tapas in different combinations and they were delicious. Very sensibly for a small place, it is divided into bar, bar tables and a dining area. While the chunky tables and chairs are a little offputting, the lack of noise makes up for a lot. What a blessing in Ballston and Clarendon, where noise levels can be astronomical. There is also a crowd of mixed ages, which is refreshing. Highly recommend the prosciutto-wrapped dates, the charcuterie and the Ahi Tuna. Foie gras very skimpy for the price, and mushroom strudel is mostly pastry. We'll definitely go back!Special Features:
- Second visitMaggieDined on 10/10/2014This was our second visit. The first time, we were able to sit outside and it was fantastic. This time we sat inside and the noise level was annoying. No boisterous groups or anything, just noise bouncing off all the hard surfaces. Our waitress was nice but not terribly efficient. There were four of us. She brought two entrees and about ten minutes later the other two arrived. The food is wonderful, though.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/30/2014Food was okay. Tuna Nicoise salad disappointing--tuna overcooked and dry.
- Exceptional Neighborhood FindMaryDined on 9/24/2014Exceptional neighborhood bistro, located in the heart of Ballston. Perfect spot for a quick bite or full meal with friends. Thoughtful wine list, full wine shop on site for even more variety. Try the charcuterie for a happy hour treat, especially when paired with a domestic wine of choice. Special occasion or romantic evening out? Try the Prime Filet of Beef, served with Fallen Blue cheese soufflé, spiced beets, garlic potato puree and Shiraz essence. Or, Moularde Breast of Duck. Salads are big enough to share and farm-fresh. Dessert? Try the Crème Brûlée, a shareable treat of three different flavors (pistachio, chocolate, and traditional.) Grand Cru serves up a terrific meal, knowledgable and attentive staff. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick: improve the service!MindfulEaterVIPDined on 9/21/2014If Grand Cru could just improve its service, this would be a true neighborhood gem. However, the service on Sunday was dreadful. It was slow, disorganized, and apparently untrained. The drinks were slow to arrive, the main meal came out the wrong time twice, once before the appetizers arrived, and once as we were eating the appetizers. Then one of the courses arrived too cool. The overall effect was bumbling and disruptive. Food was ok, but we'll think twice before going again.Special Features:
- Great happy hourGloriaDined on 9/19/2014We got there with 15 minutes left in happy hour and stayed for dinner. Located near senior living so multigenerational. We enjoyed the outdoors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this placeopentablefanDined on 9/18/2014I love this place--it's a beautiful time to sit outside and enjoy the neighborhood. So quiet and relaxing and makes me feel like I really live in a neighborhood--not a suburb. Great service, great food, great wine.Special Features:
- Good Food Slow ServiceDP2014Dined on 9/17/2014We decided to sit inside as no tables were currently open outside. Once a table open up we were moved outside which was nice. After we got seated outside it took 20+ minutes to get our cheese plate appetizer, no one stopped by to tell us what the cheeses we were being served were, waiter did not come by to fill waters. At least our main courses were good as usual. Compliments to the chef.Special Features:
- Lovely spot on a warm eveningLovetoeatDined on 9/5/2014Wine, food, and service were just right. Altho the outdoor seating isn't particularly scenic -- in a office park type of courtyard -- in the evening it works just fine.Special Features:
- Great first experienceFredHVIPDined on 8/22/2014This was our first exposure to Grand Cru...and we will be back. It is a great combination for us...walking distance, good menu, and ok wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodWoolyDined on 8/19/2014Le Grand Cru does have an outside dining area on a patio tucked away from the Ballston traffic in a courtyard. Probably would have been a nice choice given the lovely weather but it was full so we ended up inside. In some ways that was even better as the interior is charming, filled with racks of wine bottles befitting the name. Nice and quiet so no problem holding a conversation, always a plus. And I thought the food was first class amazing! Excellent quality, creatively and perfectly prepared. We had butterfish and duck for our main courses. I would highly recommend either. Wonderful dessert and reasonably priced given the quality. If only the service, which was inattentive and almost unpleasant, had been nicer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Executive lunch specialOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014The executive lunch special is a wonderful deal, combining a soup/salad, sandwich/crepe and chef's special dessertSpecial Features:
- REturning to Grand CruOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/5/2014We're neighbors but had stayed away, tired of the menu. However, we visiting after a year hiatus this weekend and found the food to be completely refreshed and outstanding. Service is great. Wine is yummy. Outdoor seating is the best around. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Lamb and ScallopsDP2014Dined on 7/1/2014Both the lamb and scallop entrees were perfectly cooked and very flavorful. The chef allowed the two of us to split a single serving of fondue and also get both bread and vegetables instead of making us pick one or the other. It is a wine store as well so you can pick out any bottle you want from the shelves, pay retail prices, and then pay a corking fee to enjoy the bottle with dinner which was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peaceful hidden spot in BallstonMarisaDined on 6/25/2014Dinner for 4 at Grand Cru was a lovely, relaxing experience. I'm glad I found it on Open Table, because otherwise, I never would have known it was there, despite driving by a million times, since it's not visible from the street, & you have to walk back to the courtyard beside Vapiano's. Sitting on the patio with a view of the fountain was lovely, & my salmon followed by a pear dessert were scrumptious! Grand Cru also has a wine shop, and the price of wine with your dinner is the same as the retail price plus $7 corkage fee, without an extra markup, so it's pretty reasonable. Service was great too - friendly & attentive but not intrusive. We will return to Grand Cru before long!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 438 reviews are from the Grand Cru Wine Bar & Bistro reviews archive.
- Always a pleasureDebMVIPDined on 6/23/2014Lucky for us we live just a couple of blocks from Grand Cru, and it has become one of our favorites in all of Northern Virginia.Special Features:
- urban feelDCfromSAVVIPDined on 6/22/2014A block from the Ballston Metro sits this unassuming restaurant. The wine - in glasses, bottles, and flights - is a delight, the food ranging from small plates to full dinners (and lunches) can satisfy any appetite. This chef can cook. What a find! This is an example of Arlington reproducing the best of urban living - with energy and grace.Special Features:
- A broken ventilation systemNovaDined on 6/21/2014Have been here many times and love the food and the wine choices. The normally cozy space was not so wonderful as there was an issue with the ventilation system. Might as well been cooking in the open. Burning watery eyes were the result.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grand Cru is a WinnerArlDiner2Dined on 6/13/2014I would definitely return. We ate inside and found the atmosphere to be like a European bistro feel. The outdoor tables looked great too and we'll try them next time. Had the filet and salmon dishes...both cooked perfectly. Also had the mushroom strudel and tuna tartar...both amazing. This is a great tucked away place.Special Features:
- Great food, wineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2014Went there Friday night, and then again Sunday night with a small group. The group ended up ordering most of the appetizers as tapas to share. All the food was excellent, especially the scallops and the mushroom strudel. The gnocchi was unexpectedly great. The cheese plate and charcuterie plate were about what you'd expect, good but not fabulous. Same for the bruschetta. Oh and the wines - loved the flights. Reds are great. Keep in mind that if you order a bottle, there's also a corking fee, although modest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotNGrandVIPDined on 5/27/2014Met clients for lunch there and it was a great quaint location. Excellent wine shop.Special Features:
- Romantic OutingBirthdayGirlDined on 5/24/2014Beautiful dinner. The staff had the flowers I pre-ordered sitting at the table for us. This is my second time time coming here and the food was delicious. Never a disappointment.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!mogleyDined on 5/10/2014We ate here for dinner somewhat spontaneously after the winemaker at Cobbler's Mountain Vineyard recommended it. The food was delicious. The flavors all complemented each other without fighting for attention. The wine list is extensive, and they have a lot of different beer as well. Our server, Lina, was very knowledgeable and attentive without being at all pushy. We even bought a bottle of wine on our way out! I ate my full meal and left feeling satiated, but not stuffed. It was great.Special Features:
- magnificent dinner at Gand CruvelodinerDined on 5/3/2014Grand Cru Is The Best Deal In DC. I Keep Expecting Them To be Discovered And Raise Their Prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for lunch or dinnerLuv2eatDined on 4/30/2014I recently went to Grand Cru for dinner, had only been for lunch before. The food did not disappoint. I had butternut squash soup and it was very tasty. We decided to go the route of ordering appetizers and splitting them for dinner. We tried about three of them and all were equally delicious. The service we had was excellent and we received our food promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as previous times...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/29/2014The duck wasn't very flavorful; food came out warm, not hot. The cheese plate was good and so was the wine. I'd return for drinks and appetizers but probably not dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- family dinnerluv2dineDined on 4/26/2014We had a nice quiet family dinner here. Great food and not too chaotic.Special Features:
- Service slow360opinionsDined on 4/24/2014Thursday night, outdoor dining open. Waited too long for ordering, food, and especially long to get the check. Noise level made conversation difficult. We gave been here several times before and wait time was even longer than usual.
- Good Apps and Entrees, meh dessertLemonyPersnicketVIPDined on 4/20/2014Table had the mushroom strudel, beet salad, and french onion soup for apps and cheese fondu, crab cakes and Filet of beef for entrees. The party was impressed with all of them, the filet being perfectly cooked and extremely tender and the crabcakes fresh crab. They lost us with dessert. Chocolate fondu was overly rich but generally whats expected with out any WOW factor, however the pear pastry had no flavor and was the texture of bread pudding and the apple tart was difficult to eat w/fragile phylo dough and thick apple slices with too much cinn. Overall, I'll continue to come back for entrees but get dessert elsewhere.Special Features:
- Out of TownersWineArtVIPDined on 4/5/2014We were staying at the Westin around the corner from Grand Cru, and are so glad the concierge recommended it. We ate here a total of 3 times during our stay, and each meal was superb. We will definitely return the next time we are in DC.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood treasureDebMVIPDined on 3/29/2014Dinner at Grand Cru was delightful. Everything we ordered was simply delicious. Prices were reasonable, especially the excellent wine selection. We loved it and cannot wait to return. How lucky this is only 2 blocks from us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Things one can't control...MaryLVIPDined on 3/22/2014In meetings at the nearby hotel until 8:00pm, so I was pleased to have gotten an 8:15pm reservation, as we had to catch very early flights the next morning. On arrival, the place was jammed, but the hostess noted that several tables were paying their bills, and estimated the wait at around 10 minutes. The diners proceeded to linger over their wine, and the 10 minutes became 30--with nowhere to sit, and nothing to eat or drink The hostess apologized repeatedly, and we were seated the moment a table finally opened up, but the delay put a definite damper on the evening. The service was friendly and the food was good, but I wished I'd gone elsewhere. Probably better savored when one has ample time to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go to fine restaurant in BallstonOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014My wife and I always enjoy dining here. She is from France and misses it every once in awhile. Out of all the French-style restaurants we have tried, this is by far the best in terms of balancing quality, authenticity, and price. The majority of French restaurants in the Washington D.C. area are incredibly over priced for what they serve. Grand Cru is much more affordable for special occasions, and they do not compromise on quality. The servers are exceptionally friendly, and the wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- Good food & great wineSumertimeVIPDined on 3/7/2014Great place for happy hour and sharing appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and prices,strange layoutLemonyPersnicketVIPDined on 2/28/2014This is my second time here. I had the cheese fondu and wild mushroom orzo. Both are great and not ridiculously expensive. The duck bruschetta is also very good. My only issue is the table we were seated at was back by the wine market which left browsers to squeeze behind our chairs. We had one guy stand over is for 10 minutes perusing and climbing over us. Although I know that's a statement of his rudeness and not the restaurants, perhaps they could assist customers when they are busy or move the table for more room. Other than that the food is great and I will come back, just request a different table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A problem with open tableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/27/2014I made reservation through open table as I have done many time before. Somehow they didnt have the reservation on their computer even though I got a confirmation from open table. I contacted open table for their comments and the process. However they didn't respond.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V-DayBirthdayDined on 2/14/2014Had the V-Day menu with the suggested wine pairings. Menu was excellent, execution lacked. Food was luke warm, the bisque was more asparagus than lobster and had an off color. Service was accomodating but made it feel like they wanted to turn the table after 90 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysLex20VIPDined on 1/23/2014I love Grand Cru and tonight was no exception (wish it had been warmer inside!). Their butterfish is really good. It used to come with two filets, but they have replaced one with 3 shrimp. I'd rather have more of the butterfish! Their dates are AMAZING and very rich. Only four come with the appetizer, but that's all you will need. And, it is a GREAT wine bar. They have several flight options, house wines that are a great deal (and taste good!) and of course they are also a wine store so if their list isn't long enough for you, browse around and have them open something. Dessert - pear tart or the hazelnut bar are the best!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mid-week date spottraveldocfoodieDined on 1/23/2014Needed a date spot with great wine features STAT! Enter Grand Cru. It's a small place, but that's what lends to its charm. Staff were friendly and vapor when needed. The wine list is extensive and for wine noobs like myself, they offer several tasting flights to get you started (or finished). The plates were filling and perfect portions for one person, they offer a lot of different meals for all taste buds. I plan to come here again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.