3804 Grand Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55409Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grandcafempls.com/
- Phone: 6128228260x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday:5:00 pm to 9:00 pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Irvin-Ericson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering and Private Chef Services Available for all size functions.
- Private Party Facilities: Grand Café has a European charm that resonates with our guests and is considered a local “gem”. The Café’s rustic elegance follows through, from ambiance to menu.
- Private Party Contact: Mary Hunter 6128228260x
- Special Events: Date Night Tuesday. Three Course Dinner for 2 with Bottle of Wine. $60
A word from Grand Cafe
The Grand Cafe is a charming, romantic neighborhood café, offering classic American and Continental bistro fare, situated in a beautiful space that once held an old world European bakery. The kitchen utilizes the best local and seasonal product to craft such dishes as Duck Confit, Braised Short Ribs,Daily Fish Specials, Home-cured duck proscuitto, hand-rolled gnocchi, pasta, crackers and more. The pantry-to-table approach imbues brunch, lunch, dinner and Pivate Dining menus with unparalleled freshness, and has garnered critical acclaim – Mpls St. Paul Magazine's Dara Moskowitz writes "The best Unknown Restaurant in Town: Great and Simple Coexist at Minneapolis's Grand Cafe", and Andrew Zimmern calls Grand Café “one of the most romantic spots around". Grand Cafe is located in South Minneapolis, 5 minutes from downtown & uptown, & 15 min from airport.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Grand Cafe - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Grand Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (36)romantic (24)special occasion (21)great for brunch (16)great for outdoor dining (11)good for groups (7)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- South Minneapolis GemNellyDined on 8/19/2014Our recent trip to Grand Cafe was a marvelous dining experience. Their menu is very creative, and it features some items that I rarely see offered in other restaurants (e.g. ciopinno and beef tartar). Food preparation was wonderful. Our server, Laura, was very attentive without being smothering. I will definitely be returning here.Special Features:
- The Grand was grand!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Really excellent food and service. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Will returnhungryDined on 8/2/2014Small but carefully planned menu as well as a small and cozy cafe. The service was personable and attentive. Mary, one of the owners, made us feel like friends. The food was creatively prepared and presented. We can't wait to go back, even though it's not close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!GoodEarthFan2Dined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed our first visit to the Grand Cafe for dinner. The food was excellent. The service was a bit slow but very "earnest" (see private note below). Having a DJ spinning LPs seemed a bit obtrusive and the noise level, which was high with some patrons at the next table, was only "enhanced" by the DJ's playlist. But as I wrote, the food was excellent. I would recommend the hangar steak very highly. The dessert list was pretty limited, however.Special Features:
- You must eat hereRebeccaDined on 7/20/2014Had dinner with an old friend. The waiter timed the described the menu, presented dishes and drink with Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal!SweetmanVIPDined on 6/28/2014Six of us ordered five different meals. Four of the five entrees were outstanding with the fifth judged as being just OK (chicken). The smoked pork chop may be the best I've ever had. The beef cheeks, swordfish, and hamburger were all also rated as outstanding.Special Features:
- ALWAYS ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014We have take family, friendd, clients and just ourselved here for years and have always had an excellent experience. The food is wonderful, the service is nop notch and the prices make it a great value.Special Features:
- bristolDined on 6/27/2014Very warm staff and atmosphere. The menu changes with the seasonal offerings. The cook is given latitude to be creative. Wait staff is attentive but not overly. Food was delicious. Desserts were devine.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014We've loved Grand Cafe and chosen it for several special occasion dinners. Our last two visits took it off our list -- food was overdone and in contrast to our previous experience, pedestrian. Pleasant service, though.
- Summer favoriteLauraDined on 6/21/2014I've been to Grand Cafe twice now, and both times it's been a delight. Good food, excellent service, and we enjoyed sitting at a table outside. I hope to come back in the fall or winter, to experience that indoor dining as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great locovore spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Well thought out seasonal menu, superbly produced and served without pretentiousness. THis is a truly wonderful neighborhood bistro…happy they welcome people from outside the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Mediocre food, slow serviceJamilDined on 6/6/2014Have previously enjoyed Grand Cafe. Food was mediocre and expensive; not worth a night out. When we clearly indicated desire to have a quicker meal, server did not adjust her attention levels or urgency. Will not return.
- quiet lunch spotMstasiaVIPDined on 5/13/2014I took my mother and mother in law here for lunch. The menu was interesting and fresh. We all enjoyed our food. The restaurant was sparsely populated which meant there was only one waiter. She mostly kept up but if there were two the wait times would have improved. I am thankful for this neighborhood gem and I wish them success!Special Features:
- Must DoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Great atmosphere with timely service. Excellent selection as we really enjoyed mothers day with the little people.Special Features:
- good taste but coldMagnetronDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I always enjoy our Tuesday date nights at Grand Cafe.The food and service are typically outstanding! We heard so many good things about the brunch so we decided to reserve a table (months in advance)for Mother's day! Yes, as expected the tiny restaurant was packed but we had a nice table. Service was great,slow but we expected it to be busy on a holiday. My eggs Benedict was very tasty but it was cold and so were the potatoes on the side. I still love Grand Cafe and will continue to eat there but we were a bit disappointed with our cold,Mother's day brunch.Special Features:
- Great foodMaryDined on 5/9/2014food was served hot, was very tasty, friendly, helpful wait staff, cozy environ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LinsDined on 5/6/2014We enjoyed date night on Tuesday night for the first time . When we walked in we were greeted by a friendly waiter . The restraunt had an elegant feel to it. We all had the date night special beef.It was very tender and tasty. The all of the vegetables were fresh and presented beautifully . Yes we will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 681 reviews are from the Grand Cafe reviews archive.
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014I have been here twice. Due to the price point it's more of a special occasion place for us. That being said, I have not been disappointed in any way! This really is a neighborhood gem with an inviting and intimate atmosphere and the food is wonderful. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Love this place!!!chezjoeyDined on 4/24/2014Had dinner here for the first time after numerous visits for brunch. Glad to report the dinner is just as wonderful as their brunch!Special Features:
- The food was very good. CheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014The food was very good. Cheese fondu was awesome! Crackers were very good and original. The argonotti (sp?) pasta was disappointingly bland.
- Love the variety of the menuBEdinerDined on 4/11/2014Love the variety of the menu that changes regularly. Nice wine selection, reasonably priced. This is our favorite dinner spot for a late Friday meal.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014We took good friends for dinner and stayed three hours! Great food, great ambiance. Totally pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool Date Spot in UptownRossDined on 4/8/2014My girlfriend and I had been getting tired of the usual Uptown restaurants in Calhoun Square so we decided to branch out and try something new after my Dad had recommended going to Tuesday Night Date Night at The Grand Cafe and we had a great time with great food. Service from Manu the bartender and John our server was awesome and they made it a great experience for us. Highly recommend this place any night of the week and especially on Tuesday nights where they have Date Night where you get a bottle of wine and a 3 course meal for $50! Check it out!Special Features:
- Fun date night programAnnabelleDined on 4/1/2014Had great fun night there last week, great food and ambiance and very attentive service by Manu and JoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014I have enjoyed this restaurant each time I have come. The small menu has really interesting entrees with great sauces on each dish. I really liked the poached snapper with edamame and the fondue with grilled veggies is a nice and different appetizer. The cozy feel of the Cafe with two separate dining areas and all the dark wood is a perfect atmosphere. My complements to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hope the Twin Cities neverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014I hope the Twin Cities never lose small gems such as the Grand Cafe. The chef's creative combination of vegetables with meat (pork for me and beef for my companion) was incredibly delicious. We had the whole gamut, including wine, salad, flourless chocolate cake and decaf coffee for dessert. And, the service couldn't be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really liked it!Jim098Dined on 3/22/2014Had an excellent experience here! Chose for a romantic dinner before going to a concert. simple menu but very nice complex flavorful items. Thanks for a fabulous romantic meal! Staff was perfect, attentive and helpful yet not hovering. Meal was delicious! We will be back!Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014We had great service at Grand Cafe. I wouldn't get what I ordered again but the food was generally good. I think I just didn't pick the right thing.Special Features:
- DateAjames1979Dined on 3/21/2014Went on a 2nd date and we had the best time. Very romantic, great service, food and wine list. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch for the whole familyJABWCADined on 3/16/2014With our party of 7 we ordered most every thing on the menu. Every meal was very good, I had the eggs en cocotte - and it was outstanding, the eggs where cooked just right and the rich cream & cheese & puff pastry was a perfect match. The service was excellent -our table was ready when we got there and our coffee cups where always full. Definitely want to go back.Special Features:
- A grand timeBelleDined on 3/8/20145 of us had dinner last week at the grand cafe. The food was delicious and the service was very attentive. We had a good timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodgardenyogiDined on 2/15/2014Eclectic menu with something for every taste. Warm ambience with friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife's lamb shank was onewillDined on 2/15/2014My wife's lamb shank was one of the best lamb dishes either of us has tasted. We have never been disappointed, always impressed at Grand Cafe. Staff is warm and well-informed. Pace can be leisurely or punctual, as needed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We can't tell you how theOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/14/2014We can't tell you how the food was because we never got that far. We made reservation one week before Valentine's Day. When we arrived to the restaurant, we were offered a table next to the kitchen along the walkway where flocks of waiters were zooming back and forth. The dining room with white linen was out of our reach and we only hoped that great aromas from the kitchen and a great meal to come would be a consolation for the lack of atmosphere. ...well...twenty minutes later we were still sitting and staring at the menu... Despite multitude of waiters passing by our table, none of them stopped and offered us a drink or just an apology for being overwhelmed and busy. After twenty five minutes of patient waiting, we left.
- A Real Gem!McflyDined on 2/11/2014We enjoyed Tuesday Date Night and the set menu. The meal was delicious, and it was fun to have it all inclusive! The wine was memorable, the server was very friendly and so knowledgeable. The room was cozy, and the candles were warm and inviting. It was a memorable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GrandbebeseeDined on 2/11/2014We brought a new friend to Grand Cafe as an introduction to our great food options in the Kingfield Neighborhood. We were cared for and fed extremely well. We especially appreciate how Mary, makes connections with diners, it is comforting to have her approach your table and instantly make you feel at home. Tasty and well presented!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, charmingmbernhagenDined on 1/23/2014great good - i had lamb, date had chicken. both were incredible. beer and wine only (no liquor, just an FYI). booth seating is not comfortable (table sits too low compared to booth height, and booths ran out of cushion/support 50 years ago). friendly, smiling service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gem in So. MinneapolisBookbabeDined on 1/18/2014Wonderful food, amazing service. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for their TuesdayJspirchDined on 1/14/2014We went for their Tuesday "Date Night" special. We learned that they're known for their weekend brunch and sidewalk seating during the summer. Dinners have not been their mainstay, but with the meal we had they certainly deserve a try. Great value, and our waiter Manu was very accommodating. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Service was awful!cuppyVIPDined on 1/1/2014We arrived on time for our reservation and the host person had no record of it. The place was absolute chaos as far as seating. It was New Year's Day, but they acted like they'd never been busy before. We stood and waited for almost 30 minutes before we were given a small booth by the door. We were not given menus. Eventually the host guy returned with menus. It was another 15 minutes until we were greeted by a waiter. So frustrating! It took for ever to get the check and get our credit card processed. The food was good, but nothing exceptional. Many other places to go in the city with equal or better food without all the hassle.