3804 Grand Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55409Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grandcafempls.com/
- Phone: 6128228260x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:30pm Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday:5:00 pm to 9:00 pm Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Irvin-Ericson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering and Private Chef Services Available for all size functions.
- Special Events: Date Night Tuesday. Three Course Dinner for 2 with Bottle of Wine. $60
A word from Grand Cafe
The Grand Cafe is a charming, romantic neighborhood café, offering classic American and Continental bistro fare, situated in a beautiful space that once held an old world European bakery. The kitchen utilizes the best local and seasonal product to craft such dishes as Duck Confit, Braised Short Ribs,Daily Fish Specials, Home-cured duck proscuitto, hand-rolled gnocchi, pasta, crackers and more. The pantry-to-table approach imbues brunch, lunch, dinner and Pivate Dining menus with unparalleled freshness, and has garnered critical acclaim – Mpls St. Paul Magazine's Dara Moskowitz writes "The best Unknown Restaurant in Town: Great and Simple Coexist at Minneapolis's Grand Cafe", and Andrew Zimmern calls Grand Café “one of the most romantic spots around". Grand Cafe is located in South Minneapolis, 5 minutes from downtown & uptown, & 15 min from airport.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Grand Cafe - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Grand Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (12)romantic (12)great for brunch (10)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- JDuxDined on 10/19/2014Surprising neighborhood find. Large group seated on Sunday night easily. Food surpassed expectations. Menu limited, but al a carte choices were adequate. Wait staff knowledgeable and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The new chef is a genius in the kitchen. Grand Cafe' is a comfortable, quaint restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere, great food and service. I will be back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Blisskel4000Dined on 10/12/2014I had a wonderful time having Sunday brunch during my birthday week. I had a group of five and the server who sat us (and ended up being ours) was very considerate about where he put us (sunlight, extra space, etc.). He definitely had his fair share of tables, but we never felt forgotten, rushed or bothered. Our table started with a coffee cake and then had a couple of bread salads, chilaquiles and the pork hash. All were fantastic and we had a brief appreciative conversation about how we love it when brunch places give you just enough (great) food to feel full, but not like a fatty. We all love this place and will go back a zillion times.Special Features:
- Friday night dinnersBEdinerDined on 10/10/2014We have used the Grand Cafe as our go to site for our late Friday night dinners. The service is always excellent and the menu changes often to allow for regular visits with new options to try. Portions are just right. Particularly enjoy the pasta options. The summer soup special was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not So GrandFoodKangarooDined on 10/10/2014Been to Grand several times. As usual, way too warm in the room, but I had a guest & searched 7 restaurant menus until their Hangar Steak with Foie Gras caught our eye. Since my guest can't get foie gras in Cali we picked Grand. The free fall started with a different menu than online. We ordered wine. The 1st bottle didn't exist. The 2nd bottle had turned (probably because of improper storage). The 3rd didn't come at all as the server took care of 3 other tables, but another server got it in under 30 secs. Our charcuterie plate was almost finished. Then my chicken was over done. The server offered to have it redone quickly but brought it back & said she couldn't. Wow. Unfortunately, the sauce tasted a little like ashes. We skipped desert.
- Beautiful eveningDamonleeDined on 10/4/2014Had a wonderful dinner with fantastic service for my 6 year anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice combination of tastesHawaii50Dined on 9/13/2014We enjoyed the way the tastes of the eggplant and succotash complemented the roasted chicken in unexpected but pleasing ways. Everything from the wine to the salad to the olive cake was just right, top-notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!Dining4HealthyFunVIPDined on 9/4/2014I took my friend to Grand Café, as I enjoyed a meal there several years ago. I emailed ahead for advice about best choices for healthy eating. The owner emailed me back and assured me that our server would help with selections. The server helped a little bit with selections and said she would talk with the chef and also ask him to use as little oil as possible. Things went awry from there. I received roasted cauliflower soaking in a large pool of oil. I received about 12 of the tiniest mussels I have ever seen...for the happy hour price of $10. She plopped a couple of pieces of bread down, one torn in half, with no olive oil or butter. (My friend would have liked butter). The server didn't bother to check on us. Terrible in all regards!
- South Minneapolis GemNellyDined on 8/19/2014Our recent trip to Grand Cafe was a marvelous dining experience. Their menu is very creative, and it features some items that I rarely see offered in other restaurants (e.g. ciopinno and beef tartar). Food preparation was wonderful. Our server, Laura, was very attentive without being smothering. I will definitely be returning here.Special Features:
- The Grand was grand!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014Really excellent food and service. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Will returnhungryDined on 8/2/2014Small but carefully planned menu as well as a small and cozy cafe. The service was personable and attentive. Mary, one of the owners, made us feel like friends. The food was creatively prepared and presented. We can't wait to go back, even though it's not close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!GoodEarthFan2Dined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed our first visit to the Grand Cafe for dinner. The food was excellent. The service was a bit slow but very "earnest" (see private note below). Having a DJ spinning LPs seemed a bit obtrusive and the noise level, which was high with some patrons at the next table, was only "enhanced" by the DJ's playlist. But as I wrote, the food was excellent. I would recommend the hangar steak very highly. The dessert list was pretty limited, however.Special Features:
- You must eat hereRebeccaDined on 7/20/2014Had dinner with an old friend. The waiter timed the described the menu, presented dishes and drink with Perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 693 reviews are from the Grand Cafe reviews archive.
- Great meal!SweetmanVIPDined on 6/28/2014Six of us ordered five different meals. Four of the five entrees were outstanding with the fifth judged as being just OK (chicken). The smoked pork chop may be the best I've ever had. The beef cheeks, swordfish, and hamburger were all also rated as outstanding.Special Features:
- ALWAYS ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2014We have take family, friendd, clients and just ourselved here for years and have always had an excellent experience. The food is wonderful, the service is nop notch and the prices make it a great value.Special Features:
- bristolDined on 6/27/2014Very warm staff and atmosphere. The menu changes with the seasonal offerings. The cook is given latitude to be creative. Wait staff is attentive but not overly. Food was delicious. Desserts were devine.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/22/2014We've loved Grand Cafe and chosen it for several special occasion dinners. Our last two visits took it off our list -- food was overdone and in contrast to our previous experience, pedestrian. Pleasant service, though.
- Summer favoriteLauraDined on 6/21/2014I've been to Grand Cafe twice now, and both times it's been a delight. Good food, excellent service, and we enjoyed sitting at a table outside. I hope to come back in the fall or winter, to experience that indoor dining as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great locovore spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Well thought out seasonal menu, superbly produced and served without pretentiousness. THis is a truly wonderful neighborhood bistro…happy they welcome people from outside the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Mediocre food, slow serviceJamilDined on 6/6/2014Have previously enjoyed Grand Cafe. Food was mediocre and expensive; not worth a night out. When we clearly indicated desire to have a quicker meal, server did not adjust her attention levels or urgency. Will not return.
- quiet lunch spotMstasiaVIPDined on 5/13/2014I took my mother and mother in law here for lunch. The menu was interesting and fresh. We all enjoyed our food. The restaurant was sparsely populated which meant there was only one waiter. She mostly kept up but if there were two the wait times would have improved. I am thankful for this neighborhood gem and I wish them success!Special Features:
- Must DoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Great atmosphere with timely service. Excellent selection as we really enjoyed mothers day with the little people.Special Features:
- good taste but coldMagnetronDined on 5/11/2014My husband and I always enjoy our Tuesday date nights at Grand Cafe.The food and service are typically outstanding! We heard so many good things about the brunch so we decided to reserve a table (months in advance)for Mother's day! Yes, as expected the tiny restaurant was packed but we had a nice table. Service was great,slow but we expected it to be busy on a holiday. My eggs Benedict was very tasty but it was cold and so were the potatoes on the side. I still love Grand Cafe and will continue to eat there but we were a bit disappointed with our cold,Mother's day brunch.Special Features:
- Great foodMaryDined on 5/9/2014food was served hot, was very tasty, friendly, helpful wait staff, cozy environ.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LinsDined on 5/6/2014We enjoyed date night on Tuesday night for the first time . When we walked in we were greeted by a friendly waiter . The restraunt had an elegant feel to it. We all had the date night special beef.It was very tender and tasty. The all of the vegetables were fresh and presented beautifully . Yes we will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014I have been here twice. Due to the price point it's more of a special occasion place for us. That being said, I have not been disappointed in any way! This really is a neighborhood gem with an inviting and intimate atmosphere and the food is wonderful. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Love this place!!!chezjoeyDined on 4/24/2014Had dinner here for the first time after numerous visits for brunch. Glad to report the dinner is just as wonderful as their brunch!Special Features:
- The food was very good. CheeseOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2014The food was very good. Cheese fondu was awesome! Crackers were very good and original. The argonotti (sp?) pasta was disappointingly bland.
- Love the variety of the menuBEdinerDined on 4/11/2014Love the variety of the menu that changes regularly. Nice wine selection, reasonably priced. This is our favorite dinner spot for a late Friday meal.Special Features:
- Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014We took good friends for dinner and stayed three hours! Great food, great ambiance. Totally pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool Date Spot in UptownRossDined on 4/8/2014My girlfriend and I had been getting tired of the usual Uptown restaurants in Calhoun Square so we decided to branch out and try something new after my Dad had recommended going to Tuesday Night Date Night at The Grand Cafe and we had a great time with great food. Service from Manu the bartender and John our server was awesome and they made it a great experience for us. Highly recommend this place any night of the week and especially on Tuesday nights where they have Date Night where you get a bottle of wine and a 3 course meal for $50! Check it out!Special Features:
- Fun date night programAnnabelleDined on 4/1/2014Had great fun night there last week, great food and ambiance and very attentive service by Manu and JoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great small restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014I have enjoyed this restaurant each time I have come. The small menu has really interesting entrees with great sauces on each dish. I really liked the poached snapper with edamame and the fondue with grilled veggies is a nice and different appetizer. The cozy feel of the Cafe with two separate dining areas and all the dark wood is a perfect atmosphere. My complements to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I hope the Twin Cities neverOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/26/2014I hope the Twin Cities never lose small gems such as the Grand Cafe. The chef's creative combination of vegetables with meat (pork for me and beef for my companion) was incredibly delicious. We had the whole gamut, including wine, salad, flourless chocolate cake and decaf coffee for dessert. And, the service couldn't be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really liked it!Jim098Dined on 3/22/2014Had an excellent experience here! Chose for a romantic dinner before going to a concert. simple menu but very nice complex flavorful items. Thanks for a fabulous romantic meal! Staff was perfect, attentive and helpful yet not hovering. Meal was delicious! We will be back!Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/22/2014We had great service at Grand Cafe. I wouldn't get what I ordered again but the food was generally good. I think I just didn't pick the right thing.Special Features:
- DateAjames1979Dined on 3/21/2014Went on a 2nd date and we had the best time. Very romantic, great service, food and wine list. Cheers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch for the whole familyJABWCADined on 3/16/2014With our party of 7 we ordered most every thing on the menu. Every meal was very good, I had the eggs en cocotte - and it was outstanding, the eggs where cooked just right and the rich cream & cheese & puff pastry was a perfect match. The service was excellent -our table was ready when we got there and our coffee cups where always full. Definitely want to go back.Special Features:
- A grand timeBelleDined on 3/8/20145 of us had dinner last week at the grand cafe. The food was delicious and the service was very attentive. We had a good timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodgardenyogiDined on 2/15/2014Eclectic menu with something for every taste. Warm ambience with friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.