170 Milk St.
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.granarytavern.com/
- Phone: 6174497110
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Keenan Langlois
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room and bar that is fit for a cocktail reception up to 100 people or for sit down dinner for up 50 people. Both passed appetizer and pre-fixed menus are available upon request. Capacity for an entire restaurant buy out is 276
- Private Party Contact: Nikki Kenneally 6174497119
A word from Granary Tavern
In search of a sun soaked patio, a truly unique dining experience or just an engaging place to socialize, the Granary Tavern on the Greenway is the answer. A place where rustic and modern elements meld seamlessly to create a casually-stylish environment. Located at the end of Milk Street, the newest addition to the Glynn Hospitality Group portfolio of restaurants and iconic hotspots is certain to impress. Making its home in the Charles Bulfinch designed building constructed in 1816, this 250 seat restaurant has two floors, two bars, exposed kitchen, patio, and panoramic al fresco style windows. The informal and welcoming atmosphere is reaffirmed with the gastronomic offerings. Locavore"s will relish the fact there is an emphasis on Slow Food principles, fresh seafood, farmer's market produce and dynamic presentations. There is a focus on healthy preparations and locally sourced ingredients; simple comfort food concepts enhanced by contemporary accompaniments.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Granary Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (47)good for groups (42)great for lunch (38)neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (26)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (18)scenic view (15)late-night find (12)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (7)special occasion (6)romantic (3)Show More
- A lunch fave ~bdavidVIPDined on 10/29/2014A nice wood accent ambiance, professional and friendly staff, fresh food ...Special Features:
- First granary experience--superOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Loved our first visit (will definitely return) ---service quick, efficient, warm, great waitress ("Yaz"--but didn't seem to know who Yastrzemski was--lol) Food great, creative menu, both seasonal and local favorites, heirloom carrots We found the prices very reasonable for the menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/21/2014A bit loud - but a hood draft beer menu. And you gotta love a place with a lamb burger on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ToughtopleaseVIPDined on 10/19/2014They serve both the brunch and lunch menu on Sunday, which is nice for those of us who don't like brunch food! We were able to get a nice table by the window (refusing the first table offered to us) and the food was good, but nothing special. Would be really nice to eat there in warmer weather as they have a nice outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Good for drinking, not for eatingSpumoniVIPDined on 10/18/2014This is a great space, great location, especially for tourists and the financial district. If it's a beer you want, then you will have a good experience. We didn't, but we only ordered food. The deviled eggs arrived with five halves, each with a very small amount of filling, on carelessly tossed and unappealing looking "pulled" lettuce, and there was even very little of that. Excess moisture from the eggs dotted the plate and made eating them messy. And they cost $7.00. The turkey sandwich sounded great because of the blended flavors it contained, but there was no taste and it was very dry. The service was great and timely. They all worked as a team. Other dishes might be better, but my belief is food is only the side show.
- Pricey for a Tavern/Bar EnvironmentIceBreaker2014Dined on 10/16/2014I liked the casual ambiance and our server was very helpful and friendly. Food was very good but pricey for what is a bar environment! It's a Tavern so WYSIWYG. :-) While you are seated at your table, people are standing close by in and around you, the bar and common area! Considering the Pats/Jets game was on the TV, the noise level was acceptable. Maybe people who frequent the Tavern are not big NFL fans! That being said, the food, drinks and service were good! You make the decision; dine in a bar environment, or find a place that is more like a traditional restaurant. Food and drinks for 3 was north of $200 - avg. 3 drinks each It is a downtown Boston location. Take that into consideration when making comparisons!Special Features:
- Solid lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/14/2014Nothing fancy, but consistently good. Chicken sandwich is particularly good and somewhat healthy.Special Features:
- ClarkwilsonDined on 10/4/2014We had a reservation for 6 people at 7:30. It was raining that night, so it was hard to get a cab and through the city. We were about 10 minutes late, and they were still kind enough to honor our reservation. Our dinner was great. The server wasn't very attentative, but it was hard to tell if it was her, or if it was overall just too busy. That detail really wasn't severer enough to keep us from returning. The food and atmosphere were great! Another successful birthday dinner in the books.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Great service, great food and great drinks. Definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Good family lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014Kid friendly, had a children's menu and an Etch a Sketch. We were sat in the basement, which was nice & quiet but a little odd. Seems like they put everyone with a reservation down there. The stairs would be tough if you have anyone elderly in your party. My uncle ordered the burger medium well and it was very red & had to be sent back. They just cooked the same burger -after he had put condiments on it and taken a bite. I think they could have remade for him. He says it was good, but it bothered me that he wasn't given a fresh burger.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014I have been to the Granary a number of times and usually have a solid meal. This time was no different. The service, however, has always been subpar. Once more, this time was no different. We saw our waiter only a brief few times. I know he had a big party to contend with and I know it was a Friday night, but he didn't check in after we got our food and would walk by us without asking how we were doing. It got to the point where my friends were going to go to the bar to get a drink because we hadn't seen him in a while. I also noticed that the couple next to us sat with their menus for probably ten minutes before he took their orders.Special Features:
- Not great....SeagDined on 9/26/2014Was disappointed after reading other good reviews about the food. Atmosphere is fun but very noisy. Service was good but very pushy about ordering more drinks. Appetizers were good, especially the barley soup and pita with dips and cheese, but main courses were disappointing. Swordfish was fishy and tasteless, pasta no more than average. Burger good. Wouldn't run back.
- Great food!JeffVIPDined on 9/14/2014Came to the Granary with family members on a Sunday afternoon. Got seated right away, got our drinks in promptly, ordered food, and everything was delicious. Will definitely be coming back!Special Features:
- Fun restaurant in Market Areafancythis72VIPDined on 9/10/2014We had a big family group here for dinner and it worked out great. It was noisy but that was fine. The waitress was nice and very helpful. The food was very good. My scallops were great. It is a fun place in a great old building in the Fanuel Market area. Great place for groups or tourists.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Love this spot, great food, great people, great drinks. Love the decor/brick walls. Overall great place!Special Features:
- Birthday treatSnowflakeDined on 9/5/2014Service was excellent.... friendly and accommodating without being 'super sucky" Great ambiance...somewhat loud, but it was our crowd making the noise celebrating a family birthday. Food arrived hot (important consideration to many in our group). Portions were very small for the 'special' but not for items on the regular menu...as if they were trying to eek out extra servings from what was prepared....that's the reason for the '3 stars' for food and '4 stars' for overall.Special Features:
- So glad we found this place!maryellen01754Dined on 8/28/2014What a wonderful place to grab a meal or hang out with friends over drinks! Make a reservation though if you can as it fills up fast! We ate outside and really enjoyed the swordfish (best ever), the cheese fondue, pizza and scallops! The creme brulee had the thickest crust I've ever encountered (yum). The waitress was so pleasant and was quite knowledgeable about the different draft beers on tap. We left happy and full!Special Features:
- Great fun foodsGreatDined on 8/23/2014The food was very good and I would go back here next time I am in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect bar/dinner/pub mix!mb117Dined on 8/22/2014Food was a bit on the greasy side, but really tasty! Environment, music, and view of Boston was great! Perfect to hang out with friends! Would recommendSpecial Features:
- Great for dinnerKateVTDined on 8/10/2014I had a great meal with great service at Granary. I'd go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Warf, Short WaitGarWVIPDined on 8/10/2014The Granary is a relatively recent addition to this area of Boston; not a ton of variety on the menu but they have a nice selection of beers, a cool outdoor dining area, I dig the brick motif, and for whatever reason the wait is never as long as some of the other places around that indeed do not serve as good a lobster roll.Special Features:
- Great service, excellent foodWorklunchDined on 8/10/2014We had a wonderful experience. Great service - as in attentive but not hovering. Food was tasty. Prices were average for the area. Went for Sunday lunch - warm day, so they had the windows open. This allowed for a nice ocean breeze throughout the restaurant. Will eat here again.Special Features:
- Good Mix of Food and DrinksRMG259Dined on 8/9/2014Their menu is not huge but it's varied, has something for everyone, and overall the food is amazing.Special Features:
- disappointinglfenVIPDined on 8/4/2014We were a party of 7 and we greatly appreciated the Granary's willingness to accommodate us on their small-ish patio, as well as bringing out cake and a candle for our friend's birthday. Our waiter was super nice while not exactly on the ball... I chalk this up to his being new to Boston and he really did try. The cocktails were nice. But the food....it was pretty awful across the board. Steak that was supposed to be medium rare was served well done, my pork chop was dry as a bone with the tiniest, barely cooked brussel sprouts. The watermelon salad looked like a whole cubed watermelon with hardly any other ingredients. I will not go back... what a disappointment because I so wanted to like this place.
- Food and service were greatemmyd3287Dined on 8/2/2014Our group of 8 were 40 minutes late for our reservation, and they didn't seem annoyed at all. Our server was kind, attentive, and engaged us in conversation other than what we wanted to eat/drink. Pulled pork flatbread is so delicious and so is the caeser salad. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service issuestheassistantDined on 7/31/2014Food was fine, cocktails were great. Restaurant's service was slow and comunicated poorly.
- good weekend brunch on waterfrontjhc47Dined on 7/27/2014This is a tavern in the Boston waterfront that is open for breakfast brunch options on weekends when there aren't many other options in this area. The brunch selections were based around breakfast dishes but well prepared with a nice variety of options.Special Features:
- Great SpotelvisVIPDined on 7/24/2014What an amazing spot! The space is very cool with the exposed beams and exposed brick. You really feel like you are sitting in historic space in Boston. The food was good but I think more apps that could be easily shared might work better on the menu especially for an after work crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Service; Very Noisy!LocalFoodieDined on 7/23/2014Very popular at lunch with both tourists and nearby office workers. Good if somewhat limited menu; go for the burger or salads (be prepared for modest portions of the latter). Very good and attentive service. Very, very noisy--hard to hear your tablemates unless you sit outside!Special Features:
- Missing IngredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2014One thing we ordered was not available. Then we ordered a salad and it was delivered without one of the key ingredients. They didn't even mention they were out of that as well until we inquired. A little lame. The other food was really tasty and we had a nice table by an open window.
- Excellent weekday lunchBelleoRoseDined on 7/18/2014Wandering the streets of Boston and hoping Open Table would lead us to a great lunch spot. As usual, reviews by others is best indicator of a good spot and same is true of this place. We arrived just before noon lunch rush and got a nice spot inside next to opened windows. Place filled up within minutes and its because of the food. Excellent sandwiches and cold craft beers. What more do I need. hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- good StuffragenjrDined on 7/15/2014Second time there...good eats and great service. Chicken and waffles as good as any below mason Dixon. A bit loud inside but a great destination for drinks and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and really good foodIzzyBDined on 7/15/2014Went to Granary Tavern for lunch on a Tuesday and the place was packed. It's got great ambiance - exposed brick, glass and wood - and my meal (salad) was very good. I'm curious about the chicken and waffles! The service was good - they were busy though. Will definitely go back on a weekend night - the place must be loud but great!Special Features:
- Good corner pubCushingDined on 7/10/2014A nice find in Boston, not crammed in with a bunch of other spots. Busy, fun, loud. Good bar food, New England and pub favorites. Overall, a bit above average. Great beer selections and drink options. Staff is fun and efficient. The lobster roll is a big disappointment - don't bother.Special Features:
- Luv2eatDined on 7/10/2014I went here twice. I ordered the calamari and porticini flatbread. Both were good. The next night I had the swordfish which was very good. We sat at the bar both times which was nice. There are both indoor and outdoor seating areas. I thought this place was reasonably priced. I enjoy hard ciders and they had a nice selection of those. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could sit here all daymurf19Dined on 7/8/2014Excellent as always. Great food and service and sitting outside across for the Ross Kennedy park gives a relaxing feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/4/2014Great for lunch. Had a salad, chowder, and beer. I'd go back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 193 reviews are from the Granary Tavern reviews archive.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2014We were looking for dinner - and it was late when we got there. Granary Tavern fit the bill. Great salads, Hamburgers and a real find - the Fried Chicken and Waffle combo. Drinks were tasty and staff very friendly. A short walk from the Intercontinental.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The service was great! We didn't feel rushed and got to take our time with our meal. Thank you for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceRussDined on 6/24/2014The Granary was a terrific place for dinner in this exciting city. Ate outside where the sounds of kids playing in the water park added to the enjoyment of the location. We ate scallops and fish and chips and both were delicious. Finally, the service was attentive, friendly, and made us feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.