170 Milk St.
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.granarytavern.com/
- Phone: 6174497110
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Keenan Langlois
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room and bar that is fit for a cocktail reception up to 100 people or for sit down dinner for up 50 people. Both passed appetizer and pre-fixed menus are available upon request. Capacity for an entire restaurant buy out is 276
- Private Party Contact: Nikki Kenneally 6174497119
A word from Granary Tavern
In search of a sun soaked patio, a truly unique dining experience or just an engaging place to socialize, the Granary Tavern on the Greenway is the answer. A place where rustic and modern elements meld seamlessly to create a casually-stylish environment. Located at the end of Milk Street, the newest addition to the Glynn Hospitality Group portfolio of restaurants and iconic hotspots is certain to impress. Making its home in the Charles Bulfinch designed building constructed in 1816, this 250 seat restaurant has two floors, two bars, exposed kitchen, patio, and panoramic al fresco style windows. The informal and welcoming atmosphere is reaffirmed with the gastronomic offerings. Locavore"s will relish the fact there is an emphasis on Slow Food principles, fresh seafood, farmer's market produce and dynamic presentations. There is a focus on healthy preparations and locally sourced ingredients; simple comfort food concepts enhanced by contemporary accompaniments.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Granary Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
113 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (56)good for groups (49)great for lunch (43)neighborhood gem (26)vibrant bar scene (25)fit for foodies (24)great for brunch (21)scenic view (18)hot spot (14)late-night find (12)special occasion (11)kid-friendly (8)romantic (4)Show More
- Great fun foodsGreatDined on 8/23/2014The food was very good and I would go back here next time I am in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinnerKateVTDined on 8/10/2014I had a great meal with great service at Granary. I'd go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Warf, Short WaitGarWVIPDined on 8/10/2014The Granary is a relatively recent addition to this area of Boston; not a ton of variety on the menu but they have a nice selection of beers, a cool outdoor dining area, I dig the brick motif, and for whatever reason the wait is never as long as some of the other places around that indeed do not serve as good a lobster roll.Special Features:
- Great service, excellent foodWorklunchDined on 8/10/2014We had a wonderful experience. Great service - as in attentive but not hovering. Food was tasty. Prices were average for the area. Went for Sunday lunch - warm day, so they had the windows open. This allowed for a nice ocean breeze throughout the restaurant. Will eat here again.Special Features:
- Good Mix of Food and DrinksRMG259Dined on 8/9/2014Their menu is not huge but it's varied, has something for everyone, and overall the food is amazing.Special Features:
- disappointinglfenVIPDined on 8/4/2014We were a party of 7 and we greatly appreciated the Granary's willingness to accommodate us on their small-ish patio, as well as bringing out cake and a candle for our friend's birthday. Our waiter was super nice while not exactly on the ball... I chalk this up to his being new to Boston and he really did try. The cocktails were nice. But the food....it was pretty awful across the board. Steak that was supposed to be medium rare was served well done, my pork chop was dry as a bone with the tiniest, barely cooked brussel sprouts. The watermelon salad looked like a whole cubed watermelon with hardly any other ingredients. I will not go back... what a disappointment because I so wanted to like this place.
- Food and service were greatemmyd3287Dined on 8/2/2014Our group of 8 were 40 minutes late for our reservation, and they didn't seem annoyed at all. Our server was kind, attentive, and engaged us in conversation other than what we wanted to eat/drink. Pulled pork flatbread is so delicious and so is the caeser salad. Highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service issuestheassistantDined on 7/31/2014Food was fine, cocktails were great. Restaurant's service was slow and comunicated poorly.
- good weekend brunch on waterfrontjhc47Dined on 7/27/2014This is a tavern in the Boston waterfront that is open for breakfast brunch options on weekends when there aren't many other options in this area. The brunch selections were based around breakfast dishes but well prepared with a nice variety of options.Special Features:
- Great SpotelvisVIPDined on 7/24/2014What an amazing spot! The space is very cool with the exposed beams and exposed brick. You really feel like you are sitting in historic space in Boston. The food was good but I think more apps that could be easily shared might work better on the menu especially for an after work crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and Service; Very Noisy!LocalFoodieDined on 7/23/2014Very popular at lunch with both tourists and nearby office workers. Good if somewhat limited menu; go for the burger or salads (be prepared for modest portions of the latter). Very good and attentive service. Very, very noisy--hard to hear your tablemates unless you sit outside!Special Features:
- Missing IngredientsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/21/2014One thing we ordered was not available. Then we ordered a salad and it was delivered without one of the key ingredients. They didn't even mention they were out of that as well until we inquired. A little lame. The other food was really tasty and we had a nice table by an open window.
- Excellent weekday lunchBelleoRoseDined on 7/18/2014Wandering the streets of Boston and hoping Open Table would lead us to a great lunch spot. As usual, reviews by others is best indicator of a good spot and same is true of this place. We arrived just before noon lunch rush and got a nice spot inside next to opened windows. Place filled up within minutes and its because of the food. Excellent sandwiches and cold craft beers. What more do I need. hope to be back soon.Special Features:
- good StuffragenjrDined on 7/15/2014Second time there...good eats and great service. Chicken and waffles as good as any below mason Dixon. A bit loud inside but a great destination for drinks and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and really good foodIzzyBDined on 7/15/2014Went to Granary Tavern for lunch on a Tuesday and the place was packed. It's got great ambiance - exposed brick, glass and wood - and my meal (salad) was very good. I'm curious about the chicken and waffles! The service was good - they were busy though. Will definitely go back on a weekend night - the place must be loud but great!Special Features:
- Good corner pubCushingDined on 7/10/2014A nice find in Boston, not crammed in with a bunch of other spots. Busy, fun, loud. Good bar food, New England and pub favorites. Overall, a bit above average. Great beer selections and drink options. Staff is fun and efficient. The lobster roll is a big disappointment - don't bother.Special Features:
- Luv2eatDined on 7/10/2014I went here twice. I ordered the calamari and porticini flatbread. Both were good. The next night I had the swordfish which was very good. We sat at the bar both times which was nice. There are both indoor and outdoor seating areas. I thought this place was reasonably priced. I enjoy hard ciders and they had a nice selection of those. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could sit here all daymurf19Dined on 7/8/2014Excellent as always. Great food and service and sitting outside across for the Ross Kennedy park gives a relaxing feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/4/2014Great for lunch. Had a salad, chowder, and beer. I'd go back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2014We were looking for dinner - and it was late when we got there. Granary Tavern fit the bill. Great salads, Hamburgers and a real find - the Fried Chicken and Waffle combo. Drinks were tasty and staff very friendly. A short walk from the Intercontinental.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014The service was great! We didn't feel rushed and got to take our time with our meal. Thank you for that!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceRussDined on 6/24/2014The Granary was a terrific place for dinner in this exciting city. Ate outside where the sounds of kids playing in the water park added to the enjoyment of the location. We ate scallops and fish and chips and both were delicious. Finally, the service was attentive, friendly, and made us feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, not the greatest serviceMinXVIPDined on 6/23/2014The food here doesn't disappoint, for the most part - we did order two bowls of the garlic chip and dip - one didn't seem to have any garlic in it, although it was still tasty. The rest of the food was quite delicious. Our server was bland/lacking personality, but at least we didn't see too much of him (...good? bad?). I will return tho! Still love it for the ambience and great menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Weekly Favorite!wvskierVIPDined on 6/19/2014I have been going to Granary Tavern for a year or so. Love it! I have brought numerous people here for a first visit and they too enjoy it equally. Normally I would have looked at their menu and thought it was too eclectic for my tastes, and I wouldn't have tried the food at all. I am a meat & potatoes type of person. We had a work party and food was ordered without my looking at menu, I was hungry, tried the food and enjoyed it. Went back, looked at menu and was in disbelief I ate any of the food. Couldn't even figure out what to order so tried a few apps and have been enjoying it ever since. The flatbreads are amazing. The chicken fried chicken is delicious. The garlic chips and dip are to die for! and very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- brunch problemscasualeaterDined on 6/15/2014We booked a table for 1pm on a Sunday . Assuming that we would be having breakfast. (I checked the times on their website before booking and it said 9 - 2pm) and this was also the time on their menu outside the restaurant. But when we asked for breakfast menu we were told that they changed it and that they were only serving lunch. Its a horrible feeling, when you are really looking forward to a breakfast and then told NO... (it was only 1.15 too...) VERY disappointing....
- emilymaineDined on 6/6/2014Nice spot on a busy street. Great appetizer selection, good outside seating and friendly service.Special Features:
- Cozy spot downtownMarathonLauraDined on 6/2/2014Met up with some girlfriends for a delicious dinner at Granary. Two of six of us are pregnant, and the bartender was able to come up with some fun mocktails so we didn't feel lame for not imbibing! The menu was great - everyone enjoyed their food. Our group had everything from salads to short ribs and flatbread and dessert. It was delicious. Our server was attentive without hovering or making us feel rushed. Overall a great evening and no complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little DisappointingMarkDined on 6/2/2014I've been here before and it's usually been pretty good. This time two of us ordered chicken sandwich which was described as being on a "Brioche" bun...Not sure that Shaw's 8-pack hamburger buns really qualifies as "Brioche". Plus the toppings were just kinda scooped on in an unappetizing fashion. I realize a chicken sandwich is not exactly a culinary marvel, but a little care would be appreciated. Like I said, it's been really good before, so I'm prepared to right it off as just a bad day.Special Features:
- No PersonalityNewmyDined on 6/1/2014This was not our first time at the Granary but I believe it will be our last. We went on a beautiful Sunday afternoon to get some lunch. We made a reservation and were seated right on time. It was busy both inside and outside the restaurant but we got a great seat. That's about all that was great. The service was TERRIBLE! The server had no personality and was mostly absent during our meal. The food was average which is surprising as the last two times we were there it was great. I can live with average food but when you pay near $100 for 2 chicken sandwiches, 1 burger and 1 salad (with 2 adult beverages) I think a simple "hello", "can I get you anything else" or "thanks for coming" is warranted!Special Features:
- Lunch on a whimOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014Decided to go to lunch and try out the Granary. The outside of the building kept drawing my eye and I was anxious to try it out. It did not disappoint. We got one of the last tables outside on a beautiful sunny day. Although a high traffic area it was still nice to sit outside and people watch. The food was very good with a wide enough range of choices. The lobster roll was as good as we had heard.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/28/2014The food was excellent - the flatbreads were very, very good. Decent beer list as well. The largest downside is that it is very noisy and having conversation is difficult. Otherwise, a good place for dinner.Special Features:
- Loved itKendallDined on 5/22/2014Great mid-range spot! Fancy and good drinks/food, but not over the top.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/22/2014My companion and I split the lamb burger and the salmon BLAT sandwich. Both are wonderful. Fries and chips are wonderful (ly delicious and bad for you) as well.Special Features:
- Mostly goodMinXVIPDined on 5/18/2014Granary offers a good variety of brunch options, all quite tasty and nicely priced. Our waitress during this visit was not as attentive as our previous servers, and she was sporting a hickey. That, along with witnessing her flirt with and kiss one of the patrons was not too appetizing. I do plan to return, though. The food is that good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014The food during bruch was amazing- however the waiter was a bit rude. He made sarcastic remarks about taking too long to bring over the waters and take our order. We weren't in any rush to begin with, but the remarks made it uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fast Service / Okay FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/16/2014Our meals were ready, in what seemed like, immediately! Great spot for a fast bite! The chicken was thin and slightly dry...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Group ExperiencePattyVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had to up our reservation from 8 to 9 and then 9 to 11 and the restaurant handled it great. Good mildly upscale bar food, good drinks. Fun place to take people that isn't too expensive but is still niceSpecial Features:
- birthdayVIPDined on 5/10/2014We went with a bigger group for brunch. It was easy to book and overall we enjoyed the experience. The food was good, but the coffee needs improving (and it would be good if they had an espresso machine). Service could have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Weekend BrunchTheDesignStylistDined on 5/4/2014Delicious brunch menu perfect for enjoying early enough (prior to 11am) on a quiet weekend morning. Loved the interior and would love to come back for lunch on our next visit to Boston.Special Features:
- Great stop on bachelor partyJohnDined on 5/3/2014We stopped here during my bachelor party and had a great time. Fun atmosphere and good beer menu. Our waitress was excellent too. My only real complaint was that the bouncer was a touch odd. When one of my guys said we were here for a bachelor party the bouncer said "I don't know why you would come here for that". I am sure the owner of the Grainery would disagree. Otherwise, great spot and I would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.