90 Sherman Street
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grangustocambridge.com/
- Phone: (617) 441-0400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Saturday 12-3pm Dinner Monday - Thursday, 4:30 - 10PM Friday & Saturday, 4:30 - 11PM Sunday, 4:30 - 10PM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Castellano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Gran Gusto
At Gran Gusto, we pride ourselves on the best quality for a great price. We are a completely in-house production, starting with fresh, basic ingrediants in order to create homemade bread to desert. Over 80% of our products come from Italy one time a week such as, olive oil, flour, truffles, specialty cheeses, bufala mozzarella for the Neopolotan-style pizza, ice cream and etc.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Gran Gusto - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Gran Gusto reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (47)notable wine list (25)good for groups (23)special occasion (19)romantic (16)great for outdoor dining (11)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- birthday dinneremzeeDined on 11/22/2014Wanted a place we had not been to celebrate my 67th birthday with wife and grown kids. Good food, good service, wine list a bit pricey. Will be back. Liked it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious! Perfect for any occasionStephVIPDined on 11/8/2014Fantastic! Everytime we go to Gran Gusto, they continue to top the experience from the last! Highly recommended, date night, night out with friends, celebrating birthdays or anniversaries! Gran Gusto is a great pic for all occasions!Special Features:
- Genuine Italian foodBabsDined on 11/8/2014The broiled calamari are the best I've ever had. I no longer order calamari at other restaurants as they don't even come close to the Gran Gusto app. Our pasta entries were al dente - perfect. Finished with biscotti and home made gelato. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/8/2014Absolutely outstanding. Probably the most authentic Italian restaurant in all of Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ladies nightmamalucyDined on 11/7/2014The restaurant was fairly empty because it was early but hostess sat us near the front door. While we were chatting my friend noticed a cold breeze every time the door opened. We spoke with hostess and another man who was the owner. They were reluctant to move us, as if the other tables had been spoken for. My friend was adamant and after a brief standoff they did move us but weren't gracious about it. I think this is a neighborhood gem that takes care of its regulars. It is easy to see why...the food was delicious. The menu is fun and varied. I had the pizza while my friends had pasta and fish. Everything was great. Especially enjoyed the bartender and his way of describing the fun drinks offered. Will try this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodnwineVIPDined on 11/3/2014We have had two great fun evenings at Gran Gusto. There is an authenticity in the staff and food that is satisfying. I would call the food high level comfort food - straightforward, quality ingredients and well rendered - not fancy but consistent and very tasty. I enjoyed their wine list but found their better wines relatively overpriced - between 2.5 and 3x of retail.Special Features:
- Authentic Italian dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/3/2014I have been here several Times and find the food and service consistently excellent and a good choice for friends with very high "foodie" standardsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- politeDined on 11/2/2014we had a wonderful time. Perfect place for delicious food and good ambience for socializing. Not "fancy" but really cmfortable and fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointedCambridgeDinerVIPDined on 10/31/2014I've driven by this restaurant for years and recently a friend recommended it. I've been twice in the last couple of weeks. First time my companion complained of noise - surfaces are hard. We thought the food v. mediocre. This time I ordered a pasta dish that we were told came with "andouille sausage, artichokes, and plum tomato sauce." There was no sausage, and when we inquired we were told by the waitress, then the maitre d' that there was the "cream" of the sausage. Huh? While I go for the food, I don't want what I'm eating to be the focus of the evening. Very odd.
- Good neighborhood restaurantHitchVIPDined on 10/29/2014Had the crudo pizza -- the crust was not the super thin type I prefer but the buffalo mozzarella and the prosciutto were excellent quality. The restaurant seems to cater to American tastes with the standard dishes we expect, but it does so with some authentic accents. Pleasant ambiance. Will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianbgourmandVIPDined on 10/22/2014We came to Gran Gusto first for a wine dinner hosted by a friend, and it was fantastic - a special Sicilian menu was offered that was all delicious. This recent visit was to have a simple dinner with a houseguest, and Gran Gusto did not disappoint. It is located in a rather remote part of Cambridge, but once you find it there is parking and it is worth the trip.Special Features:
- always reliableMec60Dined on 10/21/2014and friendly. Good food. Unique "italian" experience.Special Features:
- Lovely evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014From the fantastic service to the lively, warm atmosphere, Gran Gusto was perfect! The homemade pasta were top notch. We just returned from a trip to Italy and we could have sworn we were still there!Special Features:
- CantabridgianVIPDined on 10/17/2014We have been here many times. I usually get a pasta dish, but tonight decided on the striped bass. I have never had such a delicious entree, fish cooked to perfection, served over spinach and two "rounds" of roasted potato, and a smattering of julienned veggies on top to add a bit of color. My spouse almost always gets pasta with their amazing bolognese sauce. As usual, it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic and amazing!82WellDined on 10/13/2014Lived nearby the restaurant but didn't eat there until our anniversary dinner last weekend. wow! Great homemade pasta and even better prices! Definitely a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Italian gem in N. CambridgeScottVIPDined on 10/12/2014Gran Gusto is hidden away in an office park in a desolate part of North Cambridge and is easy to miss from the street, but it's well worth the trip. The food here is as good as any Italian in the North End, and the prices are quite reasonable. Lots of vegetarian options (might be tricky for strict vegans). Craft beer on tap was an unexpected plus for an upscale Italian restaurant; they have an extensive wine list as well, which we didn't sample. The only negative about this place is its relative inaccessibility via public transit (it's about a 15 minute walk from the Porter Square T station). We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great restaurant !!bgoldyVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've been there several times. The food is amazing. Had Black cuttlefish pasta with seafood. Usually the service is good. Had a very snippy, curt waiter this night. But after I started talking to him at the end of the meal about some recent cycling injuries (and he told me about his), he warmed up. Non-the-less, will definitely go back !!!Special Features:
- Consistently deliciousMatthewDined on 10/8/2014I always find great food behind their businesslike brick exterior, lunch or dinner. Enjoyed scallops and gnocchi this time, with good reviews from friends who shared a sausage pizza and large salads. Only complaint is that I always leave myself too full for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BizarresamziamVIPDined on 10/5/2014Waitress spoke extremely poor English. She asked if we wanted to order drinks. We asked if a specific wine was available. Her response was to recite the evening's specials--which were difficult to understand--rather than to address question about wine. Eventually, manager/owner came over to respond to our question and explain the specials. One would think that ability to communicate in English would be a job requirement. Food OK, but not prepared with any apparent care and certainly not memorable. Another addition to our do-not-return list.
- Gran GustoTigerDined on 10/1/2014The grilled calamari appetizer is truly wonderful! I hope they never take it off the menu! We all had specials for our main courses, and they were indeed special. The food here is really, really good.Special Features:
- Great for food and conversationDianeDined on 9/28/2014My first visit to this restaurant, which I picked after searching Zagat's for an Italian place in Cambridge with good food, a low noise level, and moderate prices. I had never heard of Gran Gusto, but it had received a high food rating and positive reviews, so decided to try it out. Both my friend and I loved it. The food was excellent, the service more than attentive, the noise-level low, and as it was a balmy night, we were able to eat in the pleasant outdoor area in front of the restaurant. A place where you can actually have a conversation with your companions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food exquisite, noise impossibleOrionVIPDined on 9/26/2014This was my third or fourth time eating at Gran Gusto, and it was the best ever. The calamari was perfect--neither under- nor over-cooked, and beautifully seasoned. All of our mains were great, better than most any place in the North End, and the unpretentious wine paired with the meal wonderfully. We love the food! I believe the restaurant was closed for a while for renovations. Whatever changes there were seemed minimal, with the possible exception of the sound in the room--excruciatingly loud, especially since the tables are placed quite close together. The decibel level was not helped by families bringing young children and failing to keep them from disturbing other diners--not the restaurant's fault--but why not some acoustic tile???Special Features:
- A True All Italian!MarcoNVIPDined on 9/24/2014WOW! WOW! WOW! Real off the boat Italian owners and they serve you with REAL Authentic Italian food! WOW! WOW! WOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best PizzaAndyVIPDined on 9/24/2014The best pizza, better than a lot of restaurants in Italy even!Special Features:
- sammyVIPDined on 9/23/2014We had a 2-block walk on a beautiful day. Loved the décor. Food was good. We did have a problem with the server because she didn't speak a word of English. I would be glad to return, when in that neighborhood.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianRingaVIPDined on 9/15/2014We loved the food! We had the parpadelle with mushrooms and pork and the bolognese fettucine. Both were excelent. They have many imported items and they depend ond the distributors. They had an amazing imported special of burrata style cheese but didnt have the gelatos. Over all we enjoyed it very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MyNicknameDined on 9/14/2014Last year we went for the first time upon the recommendation of an Italian acquaintance. Food was great. Service was incredibly slow. This time they got it all together - magnificent all around.Special Features:
- Goold old fashioned Italian food!JacquieDined on 9/12/2014It is wonderful to have this restaurant in our neighborhood! When we pass it we have an immediate response of good memories of excellent meals we've had here...and then we go again!Special Features:
- Authentic food warm atmospherePnmiFDined on 9/6/2014You could almost think you were n Italy. Good menu, well prepared food, very nice wine list. Pizza appetizer very good - not the usual grilled pizza, branzina very well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Set back in a Cambridge neighborhood, the restaurant is easy to miss. But upon entering I knew I was going to like the restaurant. Wait staff are fluent Italian-speakers and live violin was really nice. The tagliatelle with sausage and branzino were delicious. The pizza and rigotta pie were just like my grandmother made. Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- DebkDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful family dinner here. The calamari appetizer was exception and the pizzas are memorable! We will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014This is more than a neighborhood place but since it's in our neighborhood we consider it a real treat. The selection of main courses is interesting and varied as well as the specials. Good all around.Special Features:
- Great food and wineWilburDined on 8/20/2014Not only was the food good, but our waiter really knew how to pair a wine with our dinner, an Italian borolo. The wine was ordered first, actually, and then he would "not allow" us to order the scallops or fish; only meat dishes. It was a great meal and eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014Fabulous execution - I had the ravioli with a wonderful eggplant sauce - friends had grilled calamari - always a fantastic choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 165 reviews are from the Gran Gusto reviews archive.
- Delicious food, service needs boostDavidDined on 7/29/2014First off, the food was excellent. My fish dish was a large portion, perfectly cooked, with tasty and attractive sides. My wife's pizza was great. We split a salad (average) and an order of pasta (very good) as appetizers. On the downside, it felt like they were short-staffed on our visit. We were seated right away, but order taking was a bit slow, and we were never told of the daily specials. We never learned of the specials until they were listed for a couple at another table as we were paying our bill. It also seemed like the head waiter, after asking if we'd ordered appetizers, rebuked our server and then the food came right out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableVivianSVIPDined on 7/18/2014We take most of our visitors here because it is good, has a parking lot, and has that great intimate neighborhood feel unlike restaurants downtown. Some of our favorites are the grilled calamari (so much better than fried!) and the pastas (love the pappardelle with pork sausage, the puttanesca and the seafood pastas - they change but are always good). The servings are perfect for a nice dinner where you don't want twice what you normally eat. The ambiance is comfortable enough for a family, yet nice enough for business guests. They were also very careful and accommodating to one of our visitors who is gluten, soy, dairy and meat-free. Definitely a go-to for us!Special Features:
- Great food great servicefrankcDined on 7/18/2014I dined at Gran Gusto this past Friday evening. I took my elderly Uncle who has some mobility issues. The parking in the rear was great and very unusual to have parking in Cambridge. We were greater warmly. Service was impeccable throughout. We sat in the outside dining area. Antonio who is Italian and seemed to be the headwaiter made everyone feel welcome. The food was perfect - everything - the eggplant, the veal and the lamb. Could not have been better. The place is frequented by Italians so that is a good sign. It reminded me of restaurants I have eaten at in Rome. What a find. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousSierraDined on 7/11/2014Someone gave me a gift certificate and I took my sister. We ordered a couple different pastas to share and the special caprese salad. The mozzarella was so good, I almost ordered more to take home. The service was good. We had to sit inside, but the patio area looked great. With a bottle of wine, our bill was pretty high, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gran Gusto never lets you down.yacinnDined on 6/8/2014Owner picked wine for us; loved the gnocchi, the grilled calamari (more interesting than fried ones), and of course the excellent pizzas.Special Features:
- Great Find for Fresh Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014My wife and I went to Gran Guso on a whim; we had gone to Somerville to eat at a restaurant that was closed for the evening for a private party. Open Table to the rescue. I had never been here before or even been in this part of Cambridge. But I am glad we went. We got a great table outside. It was quiet. Service was great. The wait staff was very attentive. Food was outstanding, fresh, creative, etc... Some of the best Italian food we have had in the Boston area. We are definitely going back again!Special Features: