90 Sherman Street
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grangustocambridge.com/
- Phone: 6174410400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Saturday 12-3pm Dinner Monday - Thursday, 4:30 - 10PM Friday & Saturday, 4:30 - 11PM Sunday, 4:30 - 10PM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Castellano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Gran Gusto
At Gran Gusto, we pride ourselves on the best quality for a great price. We are a completely in-house production, starting with fresh, basic ingrediants in order to create homemade bread to desert. Over 80% of our products come from Italy one time a week such as, olive oil, flour, truffles, specialty cheeses, bufala mozzarella for the Neopolotan-style pizza, ice cream and etc.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gran Gusto reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (22)notable wine list (20)special occasion (17)great for outdoor dining (12)romantic (11)good for groups (10)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (8)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Authentic ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/15/2014We loved the food! We had the parpadelle with mushrooms and pork and the bolognese fettucine. Both were excelent. They have many imported items and they depend ond the distributors. They had an amazing imported special of burrata style cheese but didnt have the gelatos. Over all we enjoyed it very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Last year we went for the first time upon the recommendation of an Italian acquaintance. Food was great. Service was incredibly slow. This time they got it all together - magnificent all around.Special Features:
- Goold old fashioned Italian food!JacquieDined on 9/12/2014It is wonderful to have this restaurant in our neighborhood! When we pass it we have an immediate response of good memories of excellent meals we've had here...and then we go again!Special Features:
- Authentic food warm atmospherePnmiFDined on 9/6/2014You could almost think you were n Italy. Good menu, well prepared food, very nice wine list. Pizza appetizer very good - not the usual grilled pizza, branzina very well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Set back in a Cambridge neighborhood, the restaurant is easy to miss. But upon entering I knew I was going to like the restaurant. Wait staff are fluent Italian-speakers and live violin was really nice. The tagliatelle with sausage and branzino were delicious. The pizza and rigotta pie were just like my grandmother made. Definitely will be back!Special Features:
- DebkDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful family dinner here. The calamari appetizer was exception and the pizzas are memorable! We will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014This is more than a neighborhood place but since it's in our neighborhood we consider it a real treat. The selection of main courses is interesting and varied as well as the specials. Good all around.Special Features:
- Great food and wineWilburDined on 8/20/2014Not only was the food good, but our waiter really knew how to pair a wine with our dinner, an Italian borolo. The wine was ordered first, actually, and then he would "not allow" us to order the scallops or fish; only meat dishes. It was a great meal and eating experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/11/2014Fabulous execution - I had the ravioli with a wonderful eggplant sauce - friends had grilled calamari - always a fantastic choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, service needs boostDavidDined on 7/29/2014First off, the food was excellent. My fish dish was a large portion, perfectly cooked, with tasty and attractive sides. My wife's pizza was great. We split a salad (average) and an order of pasta (very good) as appetizers. On the downside, it felt like they were short-staffed on our visit. We were seated right away, but order taking was a bit slow, and we were never told of the daily specials. We never learned of the specials until they were listed for a couple at another table as we were paying our bill. It also seemed like the head waiter, after asking if we'd ordered appetizers, rebuked our server and then the food came right out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliableVivianSVIPDined on 7/18/2014We take most of our visitors here because it is good, has a parking lot, and has that great intimate neighborhood feel unlike restaurants downtown. Some of our favorites are the grilled calamari (so much better than fried!) and the pastas (love the pappardelle with pork sausage, the puttanesca and the seafood pastas - they change but are always good). The servings are perfect for a nice dinner where you don't want twice what you normally eat. The ambiance is comfortable enough for a family, yet nice enough for business guests. They were also very careful and accommodating to one of our visitors who is gluten, soy, dairy and meat-free. Definitely a go-to for us!Special Features:
- Great food great servicefrankcDined on 7/18/2014I dined at Gran Gusto this past Friday evening. I took my elderly Uncle who has some mobility issues. The parking in the rear was great and very unusual to have parking in Cambridge. We were greater warmly. Service was impeccable throughout. We sat in the outside dining area. Antonio who is Italian and seemed to be the headwaiter made everyone feel welcome. The food was perfect - everything - the eggplant, the veal and the lamb. Could not have been better. The place is frequented by Italians so that is a good sign. It reminded me of restaurants I have eaten at in Rome. What a find. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deliciousSierraDined on 7/11/2014Someone gave me a gift certificate and I took my sister. We ordered a couple different pastas to share and the special caprese salad. The mozzarella was so good, I almost ordered more to take home. The service was good. We had to sit inside, but the patio area looked great. With a bottle of wine, our bill was pretty high, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gran Gusto never lets you down.yacinnDined on 6/8/2014Owner picked wine for us; loved the gnocchi, the grilled calamari (more interesting than fried ones), and of course the excellent pizzas.Special Features:
- Great Find for Fresh Italian FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014My wife and I went to Gran Guso on a whim; we had gone to Somerville to eat at a restaurant that was closed for the evening for a private party. Open Table to the rescue. I had never been here before or even been in this part of Cambridge. But I am glad we went. We got a great table outside. It was quiet. Service was great. The wait staff was very attentive. Food was outstanding, fresh, creative, etc... Some of the best Italian food we have had in the Boston area. We are definitely going back again!Special Features:
- wonderful as usual. We are outsidePettiford90Dined on 6/6/2014Wonderful as usual. We had two different types of fish that was new to us and was delicious.Special Features:
- Just plainChachaDined on 6/6/2014I had the special filet mignonette. It was just plain. Nothing special. It wasn't even season. The appetizer an asperagus with cheese and prosciutto was great. The waiter was excellent and engaging. I'd got ack just to hang out with him but the rod was not tat great.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurantEstherDined on 6/3/2014The food was especially good. The choices on the menu are not the ordinary selections that one would get everywhere. The choices are a little original, but not weird at all. The pasta in my seafood dish was definitely homemade. The service was attentive, and the decor is pleasant and creates an Italian mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 154 reviews are from the Gran Gusto reviews archive.
- Out of the way but worth itLexresidentDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful Italian food! Delicious homemade pasta. Great for kids, friendly service. We have been several times and will keep going back!Special Features:
- amazing food bizarre restaurantksgshmoopsVIPDined on 5/10/2014Ordered the cuttlefish pasta and the bolognaise, both were incredibly delicious. Saw some pizzas come out and I am definitely going back to try them. Very authentic italian food, some of the best I have had, including 2 trips to Italy. The restaurant itself is strange, there are 3 dining rooms and one is in a hallway. The whole place is very officey, and most tables for 2 are awkwardly put a little too close to larger tables. Kind of had a pop up temporary feel to it. Nevertheless, I will be back to try more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Good food, horrible service. I will not be returning.
- A GemYum4usDined on 4/23/2014We were delighted to discover this neighborhood gem. It was authentic Italian, from the delicious homemade food to the relaxed yet very pleasant dining experience. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, friendly staffLuluVIPDined on 4/23/2014My boyfriend is from Naples and he loves the food here. It is fresh and delicious. The staff are very friendly and attentive. The only drawback that I see is the space itself, it is just a little awkward but they have done the best they can with it. You should go and enjoy the expertly prepared food.Special Features:
- Best pizzafrankVIPDined on 4/18/2014If you like Pizza as they make pizza in Italy, this is the best in town. Period. Ptarters were good and dessert was excellent but the pizza was just outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i'll give it a second shotlexxDined on 4/18/2014Main seating area is a bit congested, and tables are rather close together, which is standard for Cambridge. The Italian owner is very gregarious and helpful, and his greeting of "Buona Sera" sets the tone that this is a real Italian place. We went for dinner on a Friday night, and it was crowded, and service was quite slow, but good when it came. I ordered the gnocchi with scallops. Gnocchi was great, but scallops were rubbery and overcooked. Nonetheless, there is some clear effort here, and will try again.
- Many visitsEatoutmoreDined on 4/17/2014This is a regular stop for us for a really nice meal. Excellent wine list and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed FoodSEM48Dined on 4/4/2014The duck special was terrific, the pizza was soggy and bland.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealMCoppDined on 3/29/2014As in the past, we enjoyed immensely our meal on Sat. night. The Stracitella appetizer and pizza with prosciutto and truffles were superb (though the pizza a bit pricey...). We all loved the main dishes including lamb chops and pasta with seafood, and the desserts (tiramisu and choclate torte) were superb. We'll be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed dinner at Gran GustoApaolinoDined on 3/29/2014our good friend has been recommending Gran Gusto for a while, finally we had the pleasure to eat here. It is such a great find in an unusual place - kind of an office building, residential neighborhood. The food was DELICIOUS and the service great. We will definitely return and recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceNVSCDined on 3/28/2014We have been at Gran Gusto a few times, but that was the 1st time were service was very slow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great findBoston617Dined on 3/24/2014The food was authentic, the service was warm and friendly. I would come back to Gran Gusto again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighbourhood restaurant.PhilippeDined on 3/22/2014Excellent neighbourhood restaurant. A bit off the beaten track but worth the trip. Trattoria-like feeling, personal service, nice wine list, good value. We came over to the restaurant in Cambridge as we struggled to find a table for 6 in Boston on Saturday night. Good move!Special Features:
- Even BetterJohnymacVIPDined on 3/21/2014This was our third visit and our best yet. As always the food and wine were excellent; nothing pretentious just delicious homemade pizza and pasta matched with new and interesting wine choices served by attentive and engaging staff. Oh, an the gelati was the genuine article! It was Friday night and Gran Gusto was full of end of the week happy people of all ages, from couples to tables of eight. This was a true trattoria ambiance, with rooms full of good noise and happy diners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a delicious assortmentOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014We had a delicious assortment of dishes and the service was very attentive. Wide selection of pizzas, tasty salad, pappardelle was cooked to perfection. The bottle of Montepulciano wine was the perfect accompaniment to the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great local TrattoriaCandaceDined on 3/8/2014Personalized service, genuine Italian ambience, and very good food. You can go on a Saturday night and not have to wait for hours, but reservations are a good idea. Excellent Tiramisu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemElfyDined on 3/7/2014Great food and fun atmosphere Lots of food imported from Italy. Interesting wine list. Great pizza. Just a real gem-- a piece of Italy in CambridgeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, water was nice, funnyyemenDined on 2/22/2014We had a "special" truffle pizza that was unforgettable. It was SO good. We also had gnocci, chicken, more pizza, delicious wine, desserts. Everything was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be in Italy!JohnymacVIPDined on 2/14/2014The food at Gran Gusto, including pastas made on the premises, is fresh and creative without being different just to be different. The service is polite, the wine selections intriguing and affordable, and I felt as though I was sitting in a trattoria in Italy itself. With good honest food at prices one can afford to pay more than once in a blue moon, Gran Gusto will be one of our regular haunts.Special Features:
- Valentine's DayBrandonDined on 2/14/2014Great food, funny waiter, and got more energetic as the night went on. Was looking for a quiet place to have a great dinner and conversation with my partner. This was a great place. Great wine choices (we went with a carafe), salads were delicious, dinner was great and the right portion, and deserts were ok. We had a great time, and the customers began really flowing in as we left. I'd highly recommend. I would think the biggest group would be ~8-10max, but only for a pleasurable dinner, not a business type.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gran GustoLisaVIPDined on 2/7/2014Our first time there and we had a great experience. Highly recommend really good food and you won't break the bank. Tables are large and nicely spaced. Pizza almost as good as the real thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.