90 Sherman Street
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.grangustocambridge.com/
- Phone: (617) 441-0400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Saturday 12-3pm Dinner Monday - Thursday, 4:30 - 10PM Friday & Saturday, 4:30 - 11PM Sunday, 4:30 - 10PM
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Giuseppe Castellano
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Gran Gusto
At Gran Gusto, we pride ourselves on the best quality for a great price. We are a completely in-house production, starting with fresh, basic ingrediants in order to create homemade bread to desert. Over 80% of our products come from Italy one time a week such as, olive oil, flour, truffles, specialty cheeses, bufala mozzarella for the Neopolotan-style pizza, ice cream and etc.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Gran Gusto - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Gran Gusto reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (47)notable wine list (25)good for groups (23)special occasion (19)romantic (16)great for outdoor dining (12)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Disapointing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2013Had not been to Gran Gusto in a while. Service and ambiance still OK, but the food was mediocre overall. Don't know if the chef is new. Took a pasta dish with scallops which were microscopic, had very few shrimps and a sauce that was too salty. The aragula salad had too much lemon in it. The almond/chocolate cake did not have much taste, though the Tiramisu my husband took was delicious. The wine by the glass was expensive for what it was. I felt it was like eating at Bertucci's but for twice the price.
- Lunch discoveryMatthewDined on 11/11/2013This was our first trip to Gran Gusto for lunch, where we split a salad and pizza. The bread recipe (both appetizer basket and pizza crust) continues to be outstanding and the staff split our single salad into two smaller plates when served, a thoughtful alternative to how most restaurants would just give you an extra empty plate. The pizza was well-sized for two people and its sauce was especially good. I wished it were easy to make something spiced that well at home!Special Features:
- Why trek all the way to theliryonDined on 11/4/2013Why trek all the way to the north end when amazing pasta can be had in North Cambridge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden gem for italian!chupaDined on 11/2/2013Great authentic pizzas and homemade pastas! Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findCaptainHaddockVIPDined on 11/1/2013This restaurant is a little off the beaten track but well worth the visit. There is ample parking in the rear after 6pm. The decor is pleasant - several rooms painted to look like you're on an outside terrace with windows peeking through to other areas. Food was very very good authentic Italian. My wife started with the carpaccio which was excellent, and I had the special of very fresh shredded mozzarella and speck. We both had the special of pappardelle with lobster tail and shrimp - delightful. To finish we shared a ricotta cheesecake which was also excellent. The wine list is extensive with selections from many Italian regions and in a wide price range (we had a good Nebbiollo). Service was very friendly and attentive. We're going back!Special Features:
- 1st Miss, Hopefully Not a TrendmassdinerVIPDined on 11/1/2013This has been a go-to restaurant for us. Especially for taking out of town guests. The food is great, an while the ambience is a little clichéd, it is comfortable. Our last experience with new guests was, however, disappointing. The server seemed distracted and not attentive to our table at all. He missed an appetizer order (not enough to critique), which we re-ordered when our meals arrived. Then at dessert, he missed yet another request. At this point, the evening was done.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualCP11VIPDined on 10/8/2013I am a fan of Gran Gusto and have eaten there many times. However, I was disappointed in our recent visit. The quality of the food just didn't seem to be as good as on past occasions. Not bad, just not great. Everyone can have an off night, though, and I am guessing that is all this was. I will definitely return there again because my past dining experiences at Gran Gusto have been excellent. The owner is very welcoming and helpful and the service is excellent without being obnoxious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie lover 1962Afoodlover1962VIPDined on 10/8/2013Gran Gusto made our lunch memorable. The location of the restaurant is a bit hard to find but once you walk inside the restaurant you won't bf disappointed with the quality of the food. The portions are just enough to make you feel stomach full. Definitely pasta which are fresh homemade and the pizza are as close as you can get in Naples Italy. Over all the service was friendly especially from the owner who came several times at our table asking us how we enjoyed our delicious food. Give this little hidden gem a try you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- authentic Italian in CambridgeBainesVIPDined on 9/29/2013Always reliable, always authentic, cheerful and friendly trattoria. Pastas, risotto and fish are special favorites and the bottled wine selection is especially good at a very reasonable price point. Bravissimo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2013The best pizza!!! Just like Italy!!! Great pasta! Would recommend to everybody...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Italian food, excellentpizza4meeDined on 9/13/2013Great Italian food, excellent original brick oven pizza. Service was outstanding. Staff was very pleasant. No negatives. Would definitely be back again when in Boston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surpriselovetoeatVIPDined on 8/31/2013This restaurant is away from the sights of Boston but well worth the trip. The restaurant is located on a quiet street but was busy hinting that we were in for a treat. The grilled calamari paired with mushrooms was terrific as were the salads. All in our party were pleased with the pasta dishes - different and tasty. The wine list is varied and not overly expensive. All in all well worth the tripSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Neapolitan styleOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/16/2013Excellent Neapolitan style Pizza, probably one of the best in US (and as good as the best places in Italy)Special Features:
- One of the best Italian restaurantsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/28/2013One of the best Italian restaurants in the greater Boston area. The food is amazing, especially the pizza and is very authentic. As a self-professed Italian-food snob, I've never had a bad meal here. Highly recommended for anyone that loves real Italian food.Special Features:
- Interesting serviceAbbyVIPDined on 7/21/2013We dined at Gran Gusto for the first time this past weekend. The food was very good, particularly the homemade pasta and the gelato. However, the service was so odd that we couldn't get past it. My husband and I were basically in hysterics the whole time because anytime any of the staff came to speak to us, they touched us and put their face about 1 inch from our faces. It reminded us of an SNL skit. But we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truffle heavenEatoutmoreDined on 7/21/2013Many good meals here. Interesting and varied menu, attentive service, very good wine selection. Rather noisy, with a needlessly loud sound system. Liberal use of truffles, which I love.Special Features:
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/17/2013And it was especially nice to see Antonio in the front of the house again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in Boston areapizzafiendDined on 6/29/2013The pizza at Gran Gusto is almost perfect - fresh but complex tomato sauce, light airy crust (not too thin), and always fresh (and hormone-free) cheeses, vegetables, and meats. The salads are also very good, as are their desserts (excellent gelato). Have been less impressed by their pasta (made in house, but a little on the thick side for me). They have a new outdoor dining area in the back which is much quieter than before. I highlight recommend Gran Gusto to all pizza connoisseurs.Special Features:
- Pizza BUONISSIMA!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/22/2013Gran Gusto has the best, most authentic Neapolitan pizza in all of Boston area!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gran Gusto Delivers!espritDined on 6/15/2013We were delighted from the first "Buona sera" to the final "Grazie"! The food was delicious - fresh flavors artfully combined and presented. The charming, attentive staff actually enhanced the dining experience! We will certainly return and recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weeknight treatLaGourmandeDined on 6/13/2013You can count on Gran Gusto for a great meal. The staff are friendly, the atmosphere relaxed, and the food authentic. The pasta is delicious and creative. I am not a pizza fan in general, but I have heard the pizza here is the best in Boston. There are always customers there speaking Italian, which to me means the food is also authentic.Special Features:
- Will have to try again another timeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/10/2013We went to Gran Gusto primarily to try the truffle pizza which a couple of friends had raved about. Sadly, no truffles were to be had that night and we ended up ordering a couple of other pizzas to try instead. I got the Funghi, my husband got the Quattro Stagioni. Mine was pretty good, his tasted overwhelmingly of olives. We also started with the grilled calamari, which were a bit overdone so that what should have been a smoky, grilled flavor ended up tasting more than a bit burnt. I'd be willing to give it another try, but I'll call first to see if the truffle pizza is available!
- Averagecook62Dined on 6/8/2013Everything was just ok. Nothing notable and nothing bad.
- Eating with a gourmet familyOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2013Ninno, Antonio and Chef Pepe are family. They bring you into their culinary experience originating in Naples and accented by Capri. The menu changes subtly. From truffles to straciatella you will savor delicacies not found anywhere in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent, but nothing remarkableSRM430VIPDined on 5/31/2013Visited in a Friday evening. This was our second time at the restaurant. We had remembered the pizzas as being great, but found ourselves a bit underwhelmed. Meal was fine, but not as good as we remembered it from our earlier visit. Ordered calamari and two pizzas. One pizza was fairly good, the other was a bit doughy and even borderline soggy. Fine overall, but given the potential for great meals in Boston, can't see us going out of our way to return.
- very nice---just what we expectedaeg100Dined on 5/30/2013Gran Gusto is a very fine restaurant in a slightly off the beaten track location that appears to accommodate a wide range of folks..from romantic twos and fours to family dining with well-behaved older, children. white table cloth, fine dining. The host was extremely welcoming, and our reservations received prompt seating Service and food was great; it appeared as a busy evening, so noise levels were a bit high and table conversation was OK Only compliments...the service and attention to detail made our initial visit memorable. I would highly recommend Gran Gusto to all who enjoy fine Italian dining and a large, but not expensive wine list...Kudos! Plus free parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/23/2013Ignore the Yelp reviews! I almost did not book this restaurant because of some recent reviews from this site. My 2 friends and I ended up going there because of a personel recommendation and glad we did. The place is charming, service very prompt and friendly and the owners very attentive. Wine list was respectable..two of us had the osso bucco..very good! Would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's always good!TLBostonVIPDined on 5/22/2013Don't let the location fool you, Gran Gusto is one of the best Italian restaurants in the Boston area! The food is consistently fresh and fantastic. I enjoy seeing what new items are on the menu at each visit. Within free plentiful parking and wonderful service, you can't go wrong here.Special Features:
- Normally great, not this timeneighborhoodEaterDined on 5/11/2013Gran Gusto seemed to be really struggling this visit -- their computer systems were down apparently. Had a reservation for 7, arrived at 7:05, waited until 7:35 to be seated. Once seated, it took a long time to hear what the specials were, and a long time to place a drink and food order. Once food arrived, noone checked on us. When dessert came, we had to wait again to catch a server's attention to ask for utensils to eat it with. All that aside, the food itself was delicious. Our previous experiences were much better, service wise, so hopefully this was just a one night issue.
- Great Italian FoodgeraldroyrondoeVIPDined on 5/11/2013My wife and I went back to Gran Gusto on Saturday evening for an early dinner. We split their Margherita pizza for an app. The pizza is very good. Thin crust, slightly sweet (in a good way) tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella and a few fresh basil leaves. For our mains I chose the evening special pasta which was spaghetti with shrimp and crab meat and cherry tomatoes. The sauce had a very fresh taste and more importantly it had a deep seafood flavor that I really enjoyed. This wasn't just a basic tomato sauce with some crab and shrimp thrown in. I would guess that used some sort of seafood stock as a base for the sauce but whatever it was it was delicious. My wife had the whole wheat spaghetti with sauteed vegetables.Special Features:
- Disappointed food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/1/2013Our basic pizza took about an hour to show up as we kept staring at the waiter and the manager without an apology or any acknowledgement. Very disappointment, especially since the restaurant was not even half full. The pizza was nothing you'd want to wait for.
- A So-So MealSCHammondDined on 5/1/2013The food was fine except what I wanted to eat wasn't on the menu which was odd. The item was a mainstay of their offerings. Parking is a problem. I just wasn't wowed.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2013My dining experience at Gran Gusto was disappointing. We sat in the indoor 'courtyard' area which contains a piano and we were immediately entertained by a toddler banging on the keys. (We were dining after 8). But that wasn't the real problem; the food was. My pasta meal was bland, and something I could have made at home in about thirty minutes. The pizza was ok; the crust was average and the toppings adequate. The grilled calamari appetizer was enjoyable, but the eggplant in another appetizer was undercooked. We waited a long time for our food, which would have been fine if it was delicious. It wasn't.Special Features:
- Great Food and Service. OneMarkVIPDined on 4/21/2013Great Food and Service. One of the best Italian Bistros in Boston.Special Features:
- Absolutely Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2013How Gran Gusto isn't constantly dealing with a line down the block boggles my mind. The food at this place is without a doubt some of the very best I've ever had anywhere. I've enjoyed a wide range of their menu and it's all so incredible that choosing what I want on a given night is almost The service is spectacular. Must try!Special Features:
- We went here based on allOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/20/2013We went here based on all the reviews on open table. We had the calamari app and pasta dishes. The calamari app comes with tiny shrimp that I have Beverly seen before. They had the shell, tail and legs still on. We asked the minimal English speaking waitress if we should eat them whole or if we need to peel. She didn't know. She had the owner come over. Nice guy. Told us to eat it whole as it is sweetest this way. Gave it a shot. Didn't like it. The pasta dishes were ju
- Gran Gusto lives up to itsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2013Gran Gusto lives up to its name - truly Italian right down to the staff that serve you. The food is quite good, ranging from succulent osso bucco to splendid pizzas. They were more than happy to accommodate our group of six even on a busy Saturday evening. In fact, when our table was not ready for our reservation, they brought us a sample of their pizza margherita to hold us over. Needless to say, we were more than happy with our night there and plan to return.Special Features:
- Always a delightful meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/20/2013Always a delightful meal. Best pizza in Boston (authentic Neapolitan category). Service is friendly and attentive, but never rushed. Very nice list of Italian wines. Save room for the ricotta pie.Special Features:
- I have eaten outside a fewKathyMDined on 4/14/2013I have eaten outside a few times but this was the first indoor experience.grilled calamari appetizer(one of my favorites. I get it every time i dine here.)We also ordered the asparagus appetizer which was better than i thought it would be. We all got pasta entree's and we were all happy with our food. Overall a good experience but a limited menu. If you are looking for a veal parm type of restaurant this isn't it. But if you Italian that is not run of the mill, this might be the place.Special Features:
- excellent restaurant. greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2013excellent restaurant. great food. recommended by native italians.Special Features: