Grafton Street Pub and Grill
1230 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grafton Street Pub and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.graftonstreetcambridge.com/
- Phone: (617) 497-0400
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Late Night Menu: Sunday - Wednesday till midnight & Thursday - Saturday till 1AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jose Bessa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a semi-private area designed for appetizer/cocktail functions or for large dinner party functions. We also have lunch and brunch menu options available. Please browse our website for the different function options or contact our event manager at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Krista Pereira 617-497-0400x
- Entertainment: There are DJ's beginning at 11pm on Friday and Saturday please view our website for details.
- Cross Street: Bow St.
- Public Transit: Just a short walk away is the Harvard Square Red Line train stop. There are also several bus routes that empty into Harvard Square.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is on street parking available, in addition to parking garages in Harvard Square. The complete list of directions for our restaurant are listed on our website.
A word from Grafton Street Pub and Grill
Originally opened in October of 1996, Grafton Street Pub and Grill has been a beloved institution of Harvard Square for over a decade. Located at 1230 Massachusetts Avenue-the Gateway of Harvard Square-this neighborhood hotspot is named after the spirited cobblestone-lined shopping district in Dublin's famed Temple Bar area. Grafton Street deftly combines a traditional pub's warmth and coziness with a contemporary and comfortable dining environment. Executive Chef Eric Gregory serves up contemporary American cuisine for lunch and dinner seven days a week, including a prized Sunday brunch. The bustling bar boasts an extensive selection of beer, wine and liquor, and features many signature cocktails created exclusively by award-winning Grafton Street mixologists. The 5,000 square foot space revels in tones of cream, beige and brown, complemented by black trim, yielding what is a well-designed but inherently relaxed space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grafton Street Pub and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (66)neighborhood gem (58)vibrant bar scene (46)great for outdoor dining (42)great for lunch (31)fit for foodies (31)great for brunch (30)hot spot (29)special occasion (14)romantic (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)notable wine list (5)scenic view (4)Show More
- Food was badElibDined on 4/10/2014Everything about grafton makes you think the food should be good - ambience, service, prices- but it just isnt. Steak was tolerable at best and lamb belly gross, Caesar salad was just iceberg with too much sauce, and cookie desert was so burnt, it tasted weird.
- Always very good. Fish andJINXVIPDined on 4/4/2014Always very good. Fish and chips had a little to much batter and the bacon and broccoli pizza had a little to much cheese. they were both good though. My hanger steak was just right. Always a good reliable place to come.Special Features:
- Eclatic MenuTonyDined on 4/4/2014Was invited by daughter to go here for Dinner. Did not know what to expect other that it was close to Harvard yard. The atmosphere was great, a bit nosiy but Ok. The food was very interesting with some differenct choices to satisy anyone's tastes. The ffo d was above average and well presentedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is getting worsefuerVIPDined on 4/3/2014I was a regular customer of Grafton Street for the last 4 years. The reason we were choosing here was consistently good service. My last 4 or 5 experiences in the restaurant was poor, especially the last one. We waited our order around 35 min and got no explanation until we ask. Our waiter went to kitchen and came back saying something went wrong so it caused a chain delay; and offered "more bread". He added just in "a couple of minutes" orders are coming. We waited another 15 min. During this 50 min, there were no delay for the tables around us. After 50 min waiting with no food, we walked away. We may visit one time in a year for the patio from now on, but even not sure about that. (Rated this restaurant based on my last experience.)Special Features:
- burgersOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/3/2014The burgers, bread, and mixed greens were very good. I would definitely come here again.Special Features:
- ReunitingfriedicecreamDined on 3/29/2014I came here for a mini-reunion with some of my college friends. It had food to appease our food-critical friend and our vegan friend. It also had drinks to please us all. It's had a bit more of an expensive, classy atmosphere without the expensive price.Special Features:
- Good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/29/2014Great that the restaurant offers free parking (was great because it was a rainy day). Food and service was great too, and it was reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Good food with a twistCelesteMarieDined on 3/24/2014It was not our first time to Grafton Street. We go back because it is very very good. The food is delicious with usually has a bit of a twist to make it interesting. Always a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent BrunchKRESVIPDined on 3/23/2014Met seven people here for Sunday brunch. Our reserved table was ready when we arrived. The hostess and staff were very pleasant. The table was spacious and not too close to other tables, and the noise level was moderate, so we could all enjoy one conversation. The menu has good variety of breakfast and lunch food at brunch, so everyone was happy. Overall very good experience and we would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need improvement on serviceKattDined on 3/23/2014Need improvement on service and retaining regular patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing brunchALPTDined on 3/16/2014My husband and I took our daughter and boyfriend to brunch Sunday. We had had a nice dinner at Grafton Street a couple months ago, so I was expecting a good experience. Very disappointing. The service was perfunctory and rushed (since when does a waiter arrive at the table and first thing try to take food orders? What about drinks?) Food was slow to arrive and and uninspired. My huevos rancheros consisted of two tough room temperature omelet squares on top of some black beans on a cold corn tortilla. Asked twice for coffee cream, and for side of bacon The corned beef hash was presented in an individual cast iron pan which wasn't hot. Eggs benedict so-so but not hot. Next time, we'll try Harvest or John Harvards or Russell House.
- Great brunchmlcwDined on 3/16/2014Grafton Street is our new favorite Harvard Square brunch spot. The food is really good, and it offers a nice, bright and not-too-loud or crowded ambience for my family. I always get the omelet special, which tastes fresh and doesn't leave a lead weight in your stomach for the rest of the day. Both the side salad or potatoes that it comes with are wonderful. My husband likes the granola and yogurt, which is a generous portion and very good. The toast is grilled (nice touch) and lightly buttered. There are always a few families, and it opens at 10am - both great pluses for those of us with small children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent. TheJayCeeDined on 3/15/2014The food was excellent. The lobster mac and cheese was worth every bite, as was the salmon. Great job by the waitstaff, as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food; unusual recipesJackieDined on 3/15/2014The food was unexpectantly good, including a wonderful beet salad and scallops with cauliflower. The noise level was high, expected in a pub atmosphere, however you could carry on a conversation. The service was efficient and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was very good, theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/15/2014The food was very good, the service and knowledge about the menu items was great. The only drawback was a longer than usual initial drink order but it was explained so not a major issue. Flexibility on the reservation time, ran about 10-12 minutes late was appreciated.I would recommend this to a friend.
- fit for poodlesWOWohWOWDined on 3/15/2014love god love dog i made out in the bathroom with myselfSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Oysters and moreafsssgVIPDined on 3/8/2014I've been to Grafton Street Pub a number of times for lunch and had always enjoyed it as a standby (good, but nothing special). Dinner turns out to be another story, and a better one. My wife and I started with fabulous and well prices Island Creek Oysters - $12 for half a dozen and she had a wonderful sautéed clam appetizer - generously sized and delicious. For dinner the New England bouillabaisse was delicious and a steal at $17 dollars - lovely, spiced broth with toasted bread and garlic aioli. My wife stuck to the burger which she enjoyed as well. Our waiter was kind, well informed and helpful. We will be back. A helpful note, we were not the only people to know about the place. Despite eating early, we definitely needed reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise!AllisonDined on 3/1/2014I've been to Grafton Street countless times, so when it came to throwing a surprise wedding shower brunch for a friend, it was my first choice of location. The staff couldn't have been more helpful in orchestrating the surprise--they even sat us at a table behind a curtain!--and everyone was delighted by the food and ambiance. Still my favorite brunch spot in Harvard Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my first timefirsttimeratgraftonDined on 2/27/2014I heard about Grafton many times, but had never been. went for a dinner with work colleagues. simply fantastic. food was delicious. service was prompt and efficient and met our needs (gave us time to discuss work). I plan on going again and would recommend it to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried it for the first timedevoDined on 2/21/2014My husband and I tried Grafton Street Pub on a Friday night based on what we saw on Open Table (last-minute reservation available and menu available). It was great! From the moment we sat down, we enjoyed the ambiance (upscale pub) and music that was playing. Our server greeted us right away and throughout the meal was attentive. The food was absolutely delicious and we had trouble deciding what to order since so many menu items caught our attention. We will definitely be back to Grafton Street Pub!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night in CambridgeJonnyThumperDined on 2/20/2014MrsT & I enjoyed a great Ploughmans board & a dozen oysters along with a very respectable white wine and a couple Harpoons. Bustling ambience, attentive service & a generally excellent experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Theater Drinks and Supperprimetimer46Dined on 2/20/2014On our way to the Hasty Pudding Show a rotating cast of friends arrived at a table originally set for 6. The server welcomed each new arrival as we grew to 9; she even offered separate checks for couples! Grafton's food is reliably tasty, beautifully presented, and follows the seasons. Cocktails are inventive and unusual. The only small hitch was that writing up all those separate checks took longer than expected, but we still got into our seats well before the curtain rose. And there's free parking a few blocks away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!WoodyVIPDined on 2/20/2014Had the Island Creek oysters and they were the best! Prepared perfectly without losing a drop of the sea liquor within. Bouillabaisse was different than most I've had but delicious and among the best. Hearty and perfect for a winter's night (but would be just as good in the summer, I suspect). Friendly and attentive service, as well, and paced perfectly to get us out and to the theater in plenty of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Evening!suebeeDined on 2/15/2014We have been to Grafton Street several times and consider it one of our regular places to dine when in Harvard Square. The ambience is warm and lively (without being crazy or too loud). We were seated near the front of the restaurant on this visit and found it bit chilly/drafty. The service is friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The beverage selection is expansive--lots of beers and spirits. The food is very good and consistent-- while the menu hasn't seemed to change much (if at all) over the years, there is a good selection, ample portions and very reasonable pricing. They offer free parking nearby for patrons and that is a huge benefit, given how crazy parking in Harvard Square can be.Special Features:
- Couldn't ask for a better!Meg1992Dined on 2/14/2014My boyfriend and I went here for our valentines day dinner. We LOVED it! The atmosphere was very romantic yet fun at the same time. We both ordered the salmon and oh my god it was to die for! Our waiter was awesome, very attentive. And our food came so quickly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayKathyMDined on 2/14/2014We went to Grafton Street for Valentine's Day. It is a lovely restaurant, and only a short walk from where we live. Love it there. Plenty of very helpful & well trained staff. The 'specials' for the day were delicious - I had the fried Wellfleet oysters? Sublime. Then the roasted chicken with polenta and the Red Velvet Cake for dessert. And I got a rose. Our waiter, Michael, was fantastic. Impeccable timing in knowing when to bring what to us, and a great smile. Will go back there again. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Valentine's Day DinnerValentineDateDined on 2/14/2014We made a last minute reservation for Valentine's Day. The Grafton Street Pub was a wonderfully warm spot on a cold night. The atmosphere was bright and friendly (we were there for an early dinner before a jazz show at the Regatta Bar). Bouillabaisse was simple and delicious. Our server was attentive and gave great recommendations. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taking granddaughter to lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014This the second time we have taken our grandaughter, who goes to Harvard, to lunch there and have enjoyed our experience. Food great .Special Features:
- Great food -- a little brightgoodgalDined on 2/8/2014Our party of 5 enjoyed a very nice meal at Grafton. I've been there several times, but usually just for drinks and snacks @ the bar. I've always enjoyed it. This time, we were seated immediately for our 9:15 reservation -- had oysters and a few other apps and then delicious entrees and 1 shared dessert. We were a pretty loud, annoying table, but our waiter was terrific and didn't seem bothered by us in the least. My only complaint is that we were at a wonderful circular booth and there were, like, 3 lights shining directly on us. I prefer dimmer lighting when I eat out -- esp at that time -- dim the lights in the dining room after 9! Other than that, a really lovely time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Night OutbearacudaDined on 2/8/2014Excellent food and great time with friends! Would go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice nightBostonDined on 2/1/2014We were there in the evening on a Saturday night, lively restaurant with delicious entrees! I had the scallops and my fiancé had the chicken, excellent! Great service too.Special Features:
- Toilet seatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/1/2014I've reserved through Open Tables many times and think that it's a great service. Apparently, Grafton St does not share that opinion: a reservation at 5:45 with availability both before and after, and they put my party of 4 next to the toilets, along the service runway between the kitchen and bar. I can't think of any reason to recommend this place to anyone who uses Open Table, or to anyone else, really.
- NicebigbadwolfDined on 1/30/2014I've been 6 or more times and alway enjoy it. The food is good. The fried calamari appetizer is very good, but what you would expect, and the pizzas and burger are very good, but again what you would expect. My experiments with the higher priced entrees have always worked out well. Nice beer menu.
- Great dinnersusiehandDined on 1/28/2014We were in Cambridge for a concert and the Grafton Grill was recommended. We all loved our dinners. Prepared so well with interesting and fresh ingredients. The waitress actually talked us into choices after we heard her lovely "foody" descriptions. and the food did not disappoint. Really nothing but rave reviews from all of our party who all had something different. And the prices were very reasonable for Boston / Cambridge for an excellent meal.Special Features:
- local institution still rockin' itnocagourmetDined on 1/25/2014Loved it and would go back anytime - great food, attentive waitstaff, casual atmosphere (sports on the several flatscreens above bar), congenial atmosphere, very convenient and accessible, free parking, wonderful view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad service, mediocre food.LeniaVIPDined on 1/19/2014Tried Grafton Street for brunch and thought that the food was nothing more than OK. The menu was really uninspired, everything was sort of bland and under-seasoned. The cocktails were ridiculously clunky (huge chunks of celery and fruit, too much ice), plus one of the bloody marys we ordered was so spicy it was impossible to drink. The worst part of the experience was definitely the service. Extremely slow, the waiter charged us for things we didn't order and it took us about 30 minutes to actually pay. Never going back to this place. Don't waste your money.
- Fun flirty Saturday nightFoodieintrainingDined on 1/18/2014A group of 8 of us went to Grafton after seeing the Donkey Show at Oberon's. The restaurant is a few minutes walk from the club and was an easy choice. Though we had a reservation we did have to wait 10 minutes to be seated. Our service was very slow, which is understandable, but an hour after our reservation started we still hadn't ordered any food. When our food did arrive it was very good, and the portions were pretty large. I was very disappointed with the cheese plate, not much of a selection or much of anything - not enough to share with 2-3 people. The fish and chips, chicken breasts, polenta, Brussel sprouts, truffle fries, lobster Mac and cheese were fantastic. Our table was mostly happy with the food, needs a bit better service.Special Features:
- ConsistentrepeatVIPDined on 1/18/2014another visit and another straightforwardly good meal
- Great for TheatergoersBookymouseDined on 1/18/2014We frequently choose this restaurant when we have theater plans in or near Harvard Square. They offer free parking until 1:00 a.m. if you dine there. The food is always well-prepared and tasty and the staff is friendly and accommodating.Special Features:
- GreatGraftonerDined on 1/18/2014Came in during a snowstorm and before seeing a play at the ART. I had huevos rancheros and my Mom had a burger. Both were excellent - my dish was not very authentic, but it was delicious and not overly oily which was great. After I was finished the waiter (who was great but didn't hover) jokingly asked if I wanted a bowl of fruit, and that sounded great so I went for that too. Nice service, food was prompt and delicious. Recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.