Grafton Street Pub and Grill
1230 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, MA 02138Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grafton Street Pub and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.graftonstreetcambridge.com/
- Phone: 6174970400x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 11:00pm; Late Night Menu: Sunday - Wednesday till midnight & Thursday - Saturday till 1AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jose Bessa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a semi-private area designed for appetizer/cocktail functions or for large dinner party functions. We also have lunch and brunch menu options available. Please browse our website for the different function options or contact our event manager at the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Krista Pereira 617-497-0400x
- Entertainment: There are DJ's beginning at 11pm on Friday and Saturday please view our website for details.
- Cross Street: Bow St.
- Public Transit: Just a short walk away is the Harvard Square Red Line train stop. There are also several bus routes that empty into Harvard Square.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is on street parking available, in addition to parking garages in Harvard Square. The complete list of directions for our restaurant are listed on our website.
A word from Grafton Street Pub and Grill
Originally opened in October of 1996, Grafton Street Pub and Grill has been a beloved institution of Harvard Square for over a decade. Located at 1230 Massachusetts Avenue-the Gateway of Harvard Square-this neighborhood hotspot is named after the spirited cobblestone-lined shopping district in Dublin's famed Temple Bar area. Grafton Street deftly combines a traditional pub's warmth and coziness with a contemporary and comfortable dining environment. Executive Chef Eric Gregory serves up contemporary American cuisine for lunch and dinner seven days a week, including a prized Sunday brunch. The bustling bar boasts an extensive selection of beer, wine and liquor, and features many signature cocktails created exclusively by award-winning Grafton Street mixologists. The 5,000 square foot space revels in tones of cream, beige and brown, complemented by black trim, yielding what is a well-designed but inherently relaxed space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grafton Street Pub and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
147 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)good for groups (59)great for outdoor dining (52)vibrant bar scene (39)fit for foodies (35)great for lunch (28)hot spot (27)great for brunch (25)romantic (17)special occasion (17)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (9)scenic view (5)Show More
- More a pub than a restaurantBrooklinerVIPDined on 10/20/2014Today's soup/sandwich special was just ok -- the chicken vegetable soup was very salty (all at the table agreed). The menu is limited and the prices a little high for the quality of the food. But the bar area is pleasant and there are booths, which are great for conversation.
- hopingweeatoutsideDined on 10/19/2014service was great - waitress was fantastic! Very cool spot.Special Features:
- RichDined on 10/19/2014Large Portions, Great tasting Food. Fun Atmosphere ideally located!!! We keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot in Harvard SquaresoapstoneDined on 10/17/2014Great spot to take students for a break from dining hall food.Special Features:
- Cambridge weekenddoublehoppedDined on 10/11/2014Comfortable casual with just the right amount of upscale... ...its more than a bar but not so fancy you will break your wallet. Took my college age son and some of his friends for dinner. Dinner plate portions were fair, I was looking at one on the boys' fish-and-chips platter with jealousy! On a really busy Saturday night the service was definitely above average and good humored, which is more than you can say for a lot of places when the place is jam packed crazy. Would definitely return, and have done so already.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/10/2014A fun evening for a group, good food and drink. There were no leftovers to take home.
- Eat and visit with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/5/2014Grafton Street was not too noisy so that conversation was possible the food and service was good. We were a party of 6 and all-in-all we had a nice time and enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:
- Always good for Saturday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014Made a reservation for my wife and I, our 7-week old, and our friend. The hostess was more than accommodating in finding an appropriate table that would fit the stroller/car seat. The food was good, and very reasonably priced in comparison to other places you would get brunch in Boston/Cambridge. The Mimosa and Bloody Mary were both excellent. Definitely recommend for Saturday brunch/lunch outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not vegan or vegetarian friendlyHLSSDined on 10/3/2014Title says it all. Dismissive of vegans especially. The waitress said they don't have vegan friendly food because they are an 'Irish pub.' The menu of course includes Sangrias and pizzas. I have not been to many 'Irish pubs' with that kind of menu.
- Good spotBenSahnDined on 10/3/2014We had a good time at dinner. Nice choice of draft beers, excellent service, tasty food. Great location in Harvard Sq. Can be loud.Special Features:
- Good food, service not greatShaneDined on 10/3/2014The server initially was very attentive, as meal went on we saw less of server. My partner ordered a pizza and it was never even put in, so we ended up skipping it. Luckily we had enough other food on the table. The server did not offer to comp anything nor did she offer to bring a plate so we could all share, but the server did apologize. If the server had been more attentive she would have noticed a patron with no food. The food itself was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grafton Is Going StrongOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/29/2014This Harvard Square gem shows no sign of slowing down. From friendly staff, to comfortable surroundings, and delicious eats, this spot is sure to please. Try the bacon and Brussels sprouts flatbread; a surprising and yummy delight!Special Features:
- An Irish GemGoodeatsDined on 9/28/2014Excellent service, great food. Somewhat noisy but lots of good, urban energy. Great Bloody Marys.Special Features:
- Great spot!jtuttsDined on 9/27/2014I came here with my fiancé and our two friend, we were seated right by the open windows which was perfect because it was a warm September night. It was also great for people watching! I ordered the chickpea burger which I would highly recommend for anyone who enjoys vegetarian type burgers! Plus it was only $10 and I couldn't even finish it. I ordered the la primavera which was also delicious! Order this if you like tequila!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!dilyshDined on 9/14/2014It is my go-to place when I'm in the area seeing a play at A.R.T. The restaurant has never failed me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great seafoodDaredevil9000Dined on 9/12/2014Great service, great atmosphere, great food. Fried calmari app was out of this world, bouillabaisse was singular! Only complaint was the lack of green veggie sidesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurpriseCaileanDined on 8/29/2014Went here on a whim and I wasn't disappointed. The bavette steak and sweet potato ravioli came within an excellent combination of accompanying foods and all was well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding oysters!repeatVIPDined on 8/28/2014far better than those we had recently at a fancier place in Kenmore Square...
- Good Food, but ...sherbear33VIPDined on 8/26/2014I'd heard good things and seen this restaurant packed each night when I walked by. My experience seemed to be a little different than what others were experiencing. There were a couple of large groups dining at the same time as me. I was able to watch the good service and extra staff attending to them. Meanwhile none of my plates were cleared the entire time I was at my table. Indeed my salad plate remained when I was asked if I wanted dessert. There were also a number of flies and gnats around my food which really made the entire dinner less appealing. That said, the food was excellent. The portions were huge -- some of the largest I've ever seen. Two or three people could have shared my dinner and all would have been happy.Special Features:
- WowDimaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Went there before sending our child to college. No, they didn't manage to spoil the occasion. We didn't go there for a gourmet experience but still... The worst meal we've had in many years. Stuffed Sole had large chunks of red pepper on top, Mac and cheese either had either spoiled cheese or something else weird going on. I don't want to re-call other details. Great location but do you really think food is that unimportant?
- Not an intimate dining experienceparticulardinerDined on 8/22/2014Food is excellent. But don't bother with dessert, many other options nearby that are cheaper and much more satisfying. Worst complaint is the noise. The main feature is the bar and on a weekend, it is standing room only. Hard to think let alone carry on a conversation in this environment. Outside tables are not much better competing with waiting line to get into the bar or those waiting for a table. A reservation is a must to get in without a long wait.Special Features:
- noisy and crowded, so-so foodpbillDined on 8/22/2014Unbelievably loud and packed in the bar and it filled the dining room to an unpleasant roar so that we had to shout to be heard, including the server. The food wasn't terrible but it was nothing special either. Wasted effort trying to have a pleasant meal. We ate as fast as we could, left and went to Finale for dessert. Not going back. Server was super great though.Special Features:
- I was reminded why I stopped goingsurfturf2Dined on 8/21/2014The service is absolutely horrible. I was having a lunch meeting. We weren't pressed for time but we didn't have all day either. When we order appetizers, my soup came out warmish instead of hot. I asked for more oyster crackers from two different servers. They never came. To make matters worse, it was one of the worst bowls of clam chowder I've ever tasted. The stuff out of the can is better. My entree did not make things much better. They seem to put more into presentation than preparation. This is the opposite of what you want to do for the type of pub Grafton is. The salmon felt like a forced choice because the menu is so unappealing and limited. Again, I was reminded why I stopped going to Grafton.
- Early Sat. eve. dinner was great!WelovediningoutVIPDined on 8/16/2014We dined early on Sat. evening & had a great experience. We were seated right away & had an experienced friendly server. My husband asked if he could purchase the "neat" Guiness pint glass his beer was served in and was pleasantly surprised when they wrapped & gave it to him! Mussels & oysters as apps. were fresh & tasty. The steak entrée was a hearty portion & the scallop entrée was very good. The manager offered me two different tastings of the wine I had ordered & stopped by our table to chat & discuss them. Lovely chocolate molten cake for dessert. We were treated as valued, special guests even though this was our first visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerresomervilleDined on 8/12/2014Had been to Grafton for brunch and wanted to try dinner menu so I planned a b'day dinner for a friend and we had a great time. Everyone loved their food. I got the scallops e hitch were cooked perfectly. The service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch in Harvard SquareCuseCuisineDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I really enjoyed our wonderful brunch at the Grafton Street Pub and Grill just down the street from Harvard University in Cambridge. The food and service were both terrific! Andrew was very attentive and took good care of us! My wife who rarely eats breakfast had the two-egg breakfast plate AND French Toast which we decided to split. I had the Eggs Benedict which were prepared with Irish bacon and they were awesome! The French Toast was also really delicious. I added a very tasty House Bloody Mary to accompany my brunch and the entire experience was spot on and a great way to start a relaxing Sunday!Special Features:
- great spotquicheDined on 8/7/2014We always have a good meal at Grafton Street. It is best to make a reservation ahead of time so they have a table waiting for you.Special Features:
- Excellentdd8444Dined on 8/6/2014So good we went back the next evening! The Grafton burger is marvelous! Also the Lobstef Mac & Cheese was a hit! If visiting Cambridge a stop here is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchdaviggrDined on 8/3/2014Very nice Sunday brunch, with standard brunch menu. Accommodated our party of 6 including a time change. Waitress was abut sour but it was Sunday morn. Consider a few gluten free options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014This was probably my third or fourth time at Grafton Street, and I thought it was a very good lunch. I made a reservation and we were seated right away. The server was good and the food was very good. I had the veggie burger and greens, and it was probably the best one I have ever had (and I've had many). My lunch companion had the fish tacos, and she said they were good. Her plate was empty, so I guess that's a good sign. I would recommend giving it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably goodSnickerdoodleDined on 7/29/2014This is a go-to spot for many Harvard faculty and staff because it's reliably good (or very good) food, has appealing price points and menu diversity, and is so convenient. On this visit we were two and had the Caesar and beet salads with chicken added. Portions were ample and the they tasted very good. We topped it off with the molten chocolate cake with caramel ice cream, which on this visit wasn't as "caramel-y" as usual. Our waiter forgot to deliver a drink but otherwise service was fine.Special Features:
- not as good as last timeDunwichVIPDined on 7/25/2014Maybe they had an off night. The roasted beets and the polenta cheese side dish were delicious, but the roasted salmon was overcooked and very dry, and the fried calamari had a strange undertone to the flavor. We didn't finish them. Perhaps I should have ordered the scallops that I got last time. Cocktails were just OK, and service was slower than usual. I wanted to try another cocktail, but I was never asked. We'll wait a while for the menu to change, and then see how it's going.Special Features:
- Great vibejollydinerDined on 7/20/2014Cool background music, nice beer selections, and all the food was terrific. If you're in the Harvard Square area, its hard to go wrong here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kevin is great!KatieDined on 7/19/2014As a bartender and former waitress, I can appreciate great service. Kevin is just phenomenal! He greeted us in the bar area right away. Kevin had some great drink selections and paid very good attention to us while we were waiting for friends to arrive. Way to go, Kevin! Once our friends arrived, we were seated in the dining room. A new server took over, and he took his time to greet us - about 10-15 minutes between table visits and seemingly longer when waiting for drink refills. I forget his name, but he made it very obvious that he didn't want to be there. He was hanging out with his friends at the table right next to us. Overall, I was disappointed and not impressed with his service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of hype, but mediocrephys314Dined on 7/19/2014The location is great, it's always crowded, and I always have high hopes. My friend and I ordered the mussels appetizer and chickpea burgers with fries. But the burgers were dry and overcooked, and the fries were skinny, tasteless, and also a bit overcooked. Last time I was here I ordered the beef burger which was fine, nothing outstanding. I have to remember to avoid this place.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Grafton Street is a great spot. I especially appreciate the free parking with reservations!Special Features:
- Great brunchchefchickDined on 7/13/2014I had the toasted chickpea flatbread sandwich which was excellent. The cucumber yogurt sauce was delicious (ask for no onions if you don't like raw red onion - just a few slivers but if you're sensitive you can skip them). I had greens on the side so I ate half of it just on the greens and without the bread -we were so full from splitting a delicious banana granola yogurt bowl with berries first, yum! My friend had the Avocado Eggs Benedict with the sauce on the side, which she said was good but a bit thick. Great iced coffee, great ambience for a sunny summer Sunday. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meet and EatCarsonDined on 7/9/2014Grafton Street Pub and Grill gets better each time I go. The latest dining experience occurred during the World Cup, and Grafton Street blasted excitement and energy even as the atmosphere remained respectful toward quieter patrons. The service was prompt and more than courteous - friendly! I met a few friends to eat and discuss a business proposal, and we had a great food (calamaris, burgers, pizza) AND got out work done. It's my go-to restaurant. An added bonus: free parking at Old Baptist if reservations are made through Open Table.Special Features:
- Good service, salty foodbignateDined on 7/7/2014Our service was very good. The calamari was very salty as were both entrees. The butternut squash ravioli was described as a 'light dish' by the server but was swimming in a brown butter sauce that was, as mentioned, very salty with cheese pieces in it. We would not return to this location even though we have enjoyed Temple Bar.
- A gem of a place!BetsyDined on 7/2/2014I booked the Grafton Street Pub and Grill very last minute for a small dinner prior to a bachelorette night for my friend. I asked in the booking form for the staff to make enough of a fuss over her to make her feel special without going over the top or embarrassing her. The service was impeccable - they greeted her warmly by name and were attentive and friendly all evening and they even gave her a free dessert. It was my first time at Grafton Street and in addition to the great service, the food was top-notch and the portion sizes were huge. I would definitely recommend Grafton Street and will definitely return on my next visit to Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.