707 6th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://graffiatodc.com/
- Phone: (202) 289-3600
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm (Bar & Pizza Oven Open Until 11:00pm), Thursday -Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm (Bar & Pizza Oven Open Until 12:00am), Bar Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm ($5 drink specials and "bites" for $3, $4, $5)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Mike Isabella
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Graffiato
Chef Isabella serves seasonal, artisanal pizzas and small plates inspired by the food he grew up eating in New Jersey prepared by his Italian-American grandmother. With heavy influence from Chef Isabella’s Mediterranean and Latin culinary training, Graffiato is anything but a traditional Italian eatery. Roasted potato gnocchi with pork ragu, chicken thighs with pepperoni sauce, charred octopus with tomato mostarda and mint, and hanger steak with pancetta and wild mushrooms are a few of the signature wood oven roasted dishes. Broccolini with red pepper relish and smoked beets with sheep’s milk ricotta are popular first plates. When the kitchen closes, the oven will stay fired to feed Washingtonians looking for a late-night bite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Graffiato reviews from OpenTable diners
507 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (351)hot spot (191)neighborhood gem (139)good for groups (130)vibrant bar scene (128)great for lunch (88)special occasion (73)late-night find (43)great for brunch (41)notable wine list (40)romantic (25)kid-friendly (19)scenic view (1)Show More
- spatzdoVIPDined on 11/22/2014We had a great meal at Graffiato last week. This is a small plates restaurant so you can try lot of things. I especially liked the red snapper. Would go again, plenty of variety to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian but nothing specialNYCGourmandVIPDined on 11/21/2014Solid Italian comfort food, remember it for a rainy day. No outstanding specials. Tends to be loud and crowded. Second floor has high ceilings and feels much more spacious that the first floor. Their first floor has a raucous bar and thus, feels more congested and unattractively noisy at times. Grilled meats looked ample and sizzling passing by. May go that route next time if the din and disorderliness doesn't prevent us from going in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once was enoughGoldDisdrictDined on 11/21/2014Flavorful food (edging close to the too salty side), but ambiance and attitude too "hipster"/"grungy" for my taste.
- Great place to bring out of towners!mgoldbergDined on 11/18/2014This is a fun and lively place to bring out of town guests! it's always a big hit and the food is good too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinksmidtowndinerVIPDined on 11/17/2014We ordered a bunch of things here but our favorites were the brussel sprouts, the greek pizza, and the hocus pocus pizza. All the food was delicious. I got an old fashioned, which was good, but was oddly only filled halfway up the glass. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be "cool-looking" but it made it seem like I was getting less than I paid for. To be fair, the old-fashioned was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for 2 or for Groups!JwestDined on 11/16/2014It was our second time at Graffiato (first time since 2012) & it was just as amazing as we remember. We went with the Chef's Tasting menu - which I think is the only way to go! Everything is share-able small plates - and the tasting menu is the perfect way to try things you may not have ordered on your own! We make it a must to stop in every time we are in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/16/2014Brunch with 3 girlfriends and the dishes were similar to tapas style. Which worked great for us as we drank mimosas and nibbled on our food. Every dish we ordered was a bit of a surprised. Who hasn't had steak and eggs before....but it had spicy Asian flare to it to get our taste buds to dance a bit. Overall the favorite dish at the table were the Potato Gnocchi and Baked Eggs. The only negative experience we encountered is the wait time on our drinks. Mimosas were bottomless but we had to chase someone down to get a refill and one of us ordered a cocktail once seated and it did not arrive until after all the food was served. We had started eating two dishes before it came. If the drink was no spectacular, I would have already cancelled but the DC Mule here is very refreshing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing, except the pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/16/2014With all the hype, I was really hoping for a great meal, instead, it was disappointing. I'll start with the good - the gnocchi with pork rague was delicious. The pasta was light and the sauce delicious. Unfortunately, everything else was sub-par. The roasted cauliflower was dry - it needed a little touch of olive oil or some kind of sauce. The baked eggs were very strange, with spices mixed in with the meats (almost tasted like cinnamon). The hibiscus & basil mimosa wasn't good either, too much syrup & not enough prosecco (it is a very short drink) - there's no way I could have guessed the 2 flavors that were supposed to be in it. My husband didn't like his san marzano tomato bloody mary, but bloodies are so personal, it could be that this one just had more horse radish than he likes (I tasted it, and that's what seemed to dominate). Finally, I was really looking forward to the tiramisu cannoli (a combination of 2 of my favorite things), but they didn't work. The filling wasn't sweet enough or coffee enough. The service was fine - pleasant wait staff, although there was a very long delay between our espresso's and our dessert, which didn't make sense since the restaurant wasn't busy. I'm sorry to say that we won't be back.
- Meh...too expensive for what it isSerifinaDined on 11/16/2014Atmosphere is nice (cool murals, light and airy), service was ok, food was good, but the dishes are tiny and quite expensive for small plates (like $15 each). This wasn't what I was looking for at brunch at all—it's hard to justify paying that much for eggs or miniature french toast—and probably not for dinner either... I just think there are better dinner places at this price range, and better brunches can definitely be had for less.
- FantasticDined on 11/16/2014we had a party oif 7 and had a great time. Food was amazing, service was perfect. We never felt rushed or pushed for time. Brunch went great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazingKristamxDined on 11/15/2014This is one of the few places I can go and always be happy with what I have ordered. As a result I am never afraid to try new things, which is good since they have a seasonal menu. I also love that the plates are small, so my husband and I can order a bunch of different things and get to try a large portion of the menu. Always a good choice! Mike isabella is one of my favorite chefs and this is one of my favorite places.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, really bad serviceIsabelDined on 11/15/2014The food was good, to be expected since Mike Isabella is a known chef. Nonetheless the service was really bad. It wasn't full and they took a very, very long time to even take the order for drinks and bring water. Then we ordered a Bellini and a coffee and 18 min later (we timed it just for fun since they took so long to come to begin with) we had to remind them of both. We ordered food and it took so long they came and told us they were sorry and that there was a delay in the kitchen (which seems weird when it wasn't even close to full). Anyhow, they brought us some doughnuts (that were really good) while we wait, but then they also brought a side order of bacon I had ordered to have with frittata. It wasn't even warm and it was no use to have it alone. A while later they brought one of the 2 plates we ordered and good 10 min later they brought the other plate... so really not a great meal. Food was brought at completely different times (only 2 plates and only 2 people so that was weird one is eating and the other waiting). We thought of ordering something else at that point because after all the wait we were really hungry but just the thought of having to wait 30 min for something made us change our mind. The food was good when it arrived, but the whole experience was disappointing. Probably wont be going back.
- One of my DC favoritesCaligirlinmassDined on 11/14/2014I absolutely love this restaurant! I have been there twice now. We have done the chef choice both times and it's been phenomenal. The server made sure to double check everything and had the chef prepare a dairy free menu for us. You would never know there was no dairy. The food was outstanding. They also have some really cool delicious cocktails. It was a perfect place for my birthday dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FamfoodiesDined on 11/12/2014Interesting selection of small plates. Everything we tried was tasty. Fun dinner with good food and good service. I would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!BderiggiDined on 11/11/2014As always, wonderful food and perfect service. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous and creative menuOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014served tapas style - suggest a group of 4 perfect so you can try more things. Best restaurant I have eaten in this year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CarolineDined on 11/9/2014My family and I went for brunch- really great small plates. I got the breakfast pizza which was great and we shared dishes like the steak & eggs, gnocchi, and cookies&cream waffles, all of which were so yummy! Our server was really nice and friendly, and we really liked the music that was playing, great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceJac2222Dined on 11/8/2014We had terrible service and the drinks were way over priced for what we got. I don't mind paying good money for things that are worth it but 15 dollars for a drink that isn't even full is unacceptable. No one checked on us or cleared our plates and our overall service experience was horrible. BUT, the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2014The food at Graffiato is absolutely delicious! Creative, savory, different from what you'll see on other restaurants around DC. Get the pepperoni sauce for sure, Mike Isabella's signature sauce! While the food was excellent, our service was pretty terrible. Several friends had warned us about the poor service, but we were optimistic. Our waitress came over about 10 mins after we sat down, and then she sort of disappeared after we placed our drink order. She totally forgot one dish, which she brought out only after we reminded her. Honestly, she didn't really seem very capable or interested in being a waitress. Management should do what they can to motivate staff -- this restaurant will lose clientele if they don't step up the service.Special Features:
- amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Love love love ...as a big Top Chef fan I was excited to try one of the contestants restaurants on our trip to DC we decidea to give Graffiato's a try...the food was amazing it tapas style which is perfect for me seeing as I don't eat that much anyway lol. We had the red snapper and charred brussels....flavor combos I would habe never thought of but loved!!!! Just found out there is a location in Richmond VA which is 45 minutes from me ...I will be telling everyone I know to try this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- popular restaurant, so-so for usPinkDined on 11/7/2014We chose Graffiato for a birthday celebration because we were eager to try Mike Isabella's food. If this is the best he can do, well, that's just too bad. Except for the octopus, which was excellent, I could have prepared everything else as well or better at home. The specialty-of-the-house Brussels sprouts were cloaked in a much-too-sweet sauce, the macaroni and cheese was not at all comforting - way too spicy and the pasta was unaccountably tiny. I love gnocchi and mine are waaaay better than the ones were were served. They were pasty and not consistent in size. I did ask for a different sauce since I don't eat meat but the butter and pepper sauce was too rich with butter and lacking in salt. We won't return.
- Small plates Italian?OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/7/2014Small plates Italian...who would have thought? But it works. Delicious, but atmosphere is kind of dumpy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So goodDCDinerDined on 11/7/2014Always outstanding and continues to impress! The brussel sprouts are one of my favorite dishes anywhere in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Drinks were horrible, definitely not top shelf liquor used as requested, wine list limited (no pinot grigio!), definitely not kid friendly, menu is limited and tapas style. Pizzas were decent, but one was forgotten and took too long. Servers were not overly friendly. Atmosphere is nice, clean and nice open kitchen.Special Features:
- GraffiatoLolaDined on 11/2/2014I enjoyed my meal at Graffiato. The gnocchi were delicious although the rosemary flavor was not as strong as my last visit. The pizza was great. I like the vibe of the restaurant. I would suggest changing the background music. Tunes such as Led Zeppelin can be distracting and irritating when trying to have a conversation. But, I did enjoy the food bSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, Awful ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/1/2014Overall, food was pretty good. Gnocchi not impressive but rest of dishes and pizzas were quite good. However, the service left a lot to be desired. Waitress not friendly at all - seemed annoyed that needed time to review menu. Back wait staff arrived at table, motioned for water glasses with his hand and said "give me your glasses". Then he repeatedly did the same thing again when clearing empty plates. Food runners barely looked at table and did not speak loudly enough to hear the names of the dishes they were bringing over. Will not return to restaurant in the future
- Both high and low notes but funAjaxDined on 11/1/2014We were excited about going- love a small plates concept. Highlights were Carmelized brussels and mussels. Low was hanger steak that tasted like lighter fluid and the tiniest piece of Bronzino. Portions are quite small but priced only slightly lower than entrees so it's actually expensive. Chocolate budino was very good and the goat cheesecake not bad. Like the energy but would not return.Special Features:
- Brunch, no. Maybe a different meal.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014The restaurant itself is cool. The brunch was not good. I had the eggs benedict and a side of sausage. The person I was with had the broccolini and biscuits and gravy. The broccolini and the sausage were the only really good things about the meal. The white of the egg was so runny it slid off the dish. It was more slimy than any kind I've ever had. The sauce on the eggs benedict was also subpar. Just overall not great. I also had a peach mimosa, and while the pour was generous, the flavor wasn't great. It was all definitely overpriced for what it was. All of that being said, I would go back to try their lunch or dinner because I'm thinking that you don't go to an Italian restaurant for brunch! I would like to try some of their specialties.
- nice food but...yumyum8Dined on 10/31/2014It was a lovely dinner, however, the restaurant was very empty by 10 PM and the hostess did not let us sit downstairs at the bar. The food was great, recommended for vegetarians!Special Features:
- The Perfect PairOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014My second visit to Graffiato, tied to a concert at Verizon Center. My reservation was perfect, even honored my request for the same table! And the music was a preview of what we would hear later that evening. This attention to detail shows a real interest by the restaurant in satisfying its customers and making the visit a memorable one. Food was once again outstanding. Graffiato is our 'go to' when we are going to events at the Verizon Center!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great location and foodDinnerguestDined on 10/31/2014Across from the Verizon Center just makes this restaurant even better. Great small plate selections easy to share with friends and family. Great wine list.Special Features:
- pre concert diningluv2eatoutDined on 10/31/2014We went here before a concert at Verizon Center. We did make reservations. We were sat instantly. Our server was prompt and very helpful since we had never dined there before. All the dishes are meant to be shared, like appetizers. Our favorite was the charred octopus and a close second would be the pimento Mac n cheese that had Lamb in it. Loved it and we will be back!Special Features:
- Weeknight dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/29/2014Pretty good crowd for a Wednesday. Though a caps fans pre-game gathering. Tables upstairs are pretty close together so be ready to get cozy with your neighbors. Great food and wine!Special Features:
- outstanding valuechrissieVIPDined on 10/29/2014The $20 lunch menu is a fantastic value- very good food and a lot of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- express lunch gone longRajprasVIPDined on 10/29/2014Neat place, fun atmosphere and a very upbeat waiter. He gave great suggestions and made us laugh. They have a decent deal for the express lunch which we ordered. Food is good (I enjoy the cream cheese croutons on the Caesar ... Who wouldn't? and the Jersey shore pizza is quite decadent.) But it took way too long to be called "express". Took quite some time to get each course. After an hour and half we were still waiting for dessert so we asked for it wrapped up. Other times I love the prosecco on tap and the white house pizza!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner DateVicbDined on 10/28/2014Went here for a first date. The drinks at the bar are very good, and surprisingly, the food was really excellent (I'd heard mixed reviews. Get the Brussell Sprouts if they are on the menu, you'll thank me later! Overall and excellent dining experience with good service, atmosphere and food. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm All About the PastaImpatientVultureDined on 10/28/2014I met a couple of friends at Graffiato for lunch. Graffiato has been on my list of places to eat for a while. After eating a few sandwiches at G at Nationals park, it was nice to finally dine at Graffiato. We had reservations, but did not really need them for lunch. The menu choices all look good. We all went with pasta dishes and were not disappointed. My friends both had the potato gnocchi and were very pleased with their choices. The noise level was low, but the place was not crowded. Based on design of the space and the large number of tables, it is easy to imagine a high noise level when Graffiato's fills up. I will be back. I saw a number of items on the menu that I want to try.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/26/2014Everything was fine but other than the mushroom soup, which was excellent, nothing really seemed worth the price service was a little spotty. For small plates in that part of town there's no shortage of competition, Daikaya, all the Jose Andres places ... So a lackluster meal just isn't going to earn repeat visits.
- Solid Mid-Grade FareAubergineVIPDined on 10/26/2014A bit pricey but nice food. Nothing surprising or out of the ordinary.
- Enjoyabledss123Dined on 10/26/2014As a Top Chef fan, I try and hit as many restaurants as possible by the participants. Mike Isabella was always a favorite and this mean didn't change my opinion. Went for brunch with kids and everyone enjoyed it. Particularly notable were the pizzas, my hangar steak and the gnocci. The chocolate dessert was excellent as were the donuts. The goat cheesecake was not very well received, however.Special Features: