707 6th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://graffiatodc.com/
- Phone: 2022893600x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm (Bar & Pizza Oven Open Until 11:00pm), Thursday -Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm (Bar & Pizza Oven Open Until 12:00am), Bar Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm ($5 drink specials and "bites" for $3, $4, $5)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Mike Isabella
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Graffiato
Chef Isabella serves seasonal, artisanal pizzas and small plates inspired by the food he grew up eating in New Jersey prepared by his Italian-American grandmother. With heavy influence from Chef Isabella’s Mediterranean and Latin culinary training, Graffiato is anything but a traditional Italian eatery. Roasted potato gnocchi with pork ragu, chicken thighs with pepperoni sauce, charred octopus with tomato mostarda and mint, and hanger steak with pancetta and wild mushrooms are a few of the signature wood oven roasted dishes. Broccolini with red pepper relish and smoked beets with sheep’s milk ricotta are popular first plates. When the kitchen closes, the oven will stay fired to feed Washingtonians looking for a late-night bite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Graffiato reviews from OpenTable diners
450 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (290)hot spot (152)neighborhood gem (133)good for groups (104)vibrant bar scene (103)great for lunch (96)special occasion (75)great for brunch (40)notable wine list (38)late-night find (34)kid-friendly (25)romantic (25)scenic view (2)Show More
- Noisy7daysaweekDined on 9/16/2014This is a very casual pizza place with elevated food choices. It's loud, young and on our particular visit the service was slow even though the restaurant wasn't busy. The menu consists of small plates of which we had the heirloom tomato salad, flatbread and Pepperoni sauce (husband ordered more and thought about licking the bowl when he was done) and the black pepper and Parmesan bucatini. The later was rich and satisfying. We followed that with a prosciutto pizza which was delicious with a perfectly charred crust. A chocolate semi fredo was a great ending. I would recommend this place for a late afternoon weekend or early weeknight meal. It's not fine dining but it's fine food.Special Features:
- Great FindclarissaDined on 9/13/2014So happy I've found this place! The homemade pasta was fantastic. Get the bucatini!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Second time here. It was wonderful. Potato gnocchi is life-changing, it's so good. Not a bad dish the whole time we were there.Special Features:
- 2nd visit, not so much.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We loved Graffiato the first time around. Although it's too loud, it was balanced with great service and food. Back then our server exchanged a cocktail that I wasn't enjoying. This time our server suggested a cocktail and acted confused when I asked if I could send it back if unhappy with it. She said we could order everything and that they would "course out" the food for us. Unfortunately we ended up with everything on the table at once. The result? Cold Hanger Steak. Other issues: Brussels sprouts swimming in Maple syrup; too Sweet! We couldn't finish them. Pasta outstanding as was the Octopus. Oh, and the cocktail was excellent.
- DeliciousgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/13/2014Second time there, absolutely delicious. Ceasar salad is a little heavy on the dressing but the cream cheese croutons are awesome. Great pizzas, great pasta. Going back this weekend!Special Features:
- Beth and MikeMikeDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten here many times and always have an excellent experience. The food is imaginative and exquisite. Love it love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Great Food, Great menu, great service, overall great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatGeorgiabrowsDined on 9/11/2014Graffiato never disappoints. It's my solid go-to for Italian in the Penn Quarter. The food is always good, it's perfect for sharing and the menu provides great options for both lunch and dinner. The pizza is particularly good and if you want to treat yourself, go for the zeppole for dessert, (the Italian version of mini doughnuts), they are delicious. The only comment I would have for our visit this time round, was that the broccolini was too salty. Otherwise, a great choice!Special Features:
- Italian + Tapas = AwesomeFriedaFVIPDined on 9/10/2014I really liked this restaurant. After they were slightly snippy about seating me before my dinner companion arrived (yeah, don't do that to people over 40), things greatly improved with both service and food. The food really was outstanding and I'm so glad I saw several pizzas go by and decided to order one (the White House - one of the best I've ever eaten). And the Cacio e Pepe can stand up to the best of Rome - I wish we'd ordered 2! Our waitress was great and the place was packed - which lent to it being really loud, but so worth it for that food.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!WillDined on 9/10/2014Graffiato's is an awesome place to eat! Top Chef Isabella knows how to create outstanding dishes. I didn't even make it to the main dishes because the apps were totally awesome!! Foodies have to try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/10/2014I think I was expecting more from the restaurant overall because of the hype it seems to get. I thought the dishes were hit or miss though. Perhaps I should have tried the famous pizza sauce. I would recommend it as an option if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go out of your way to eat here.
- Yummy!goodfoodVIPDined on 9/9/2014Delicious food! Loooooved the swseet corn agnolotti. Delish!Special Features:
- BrilliantJaneVIPDined on 9/8/2014Had been there before and knew it was good, but because the three of us couldn't make up our minds, we opted for the tasting menu which was a culinary tour de force. Great contrasts between sweet and sour and skillful use of herbs--ranged from delicious to sublime. Favorites included Sweet Corn Anglotti, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Watercress Salad, Octopus, and the Zeppole for dessert. Probably too much food thoughSpecial Features:
- Great FindAyanna524Dined on 9/8/2014The food, atmosphere, and host staff was over the top. I went based on a recommendation and the fact that the Chef was on TV. The place blew me away. The portions were just enough for my party of one. Thanks for your hospitality while here in DC for business. I will be back for the China Town ribs!!! YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Small PlatesNJFoodieDined on 9/7/2014While the concept of small plates is still the rage, don't know why, Italian and small plates didn't sit well. The food was good; especially the pizza - 6 people 4 pizzas. Not many people were there on a Sunday night, which made the noise level very accommodating. Nice place, but doubt if we'll go again.Special Features:
- Promisingceb42Dined on 9/7/2014The menu had some interesting ideas, but there staples like coffee (at brunch) were left out. The service was inattentive and occasionally careless. The food came out quickly, which was good, but not any faster than it should have given the number of people in the restaurant.
- Delicious small plates.AlyssaDined on 9/6/2014We brought my parents here over the weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. We all ordered about 2 plates (they recommend 3 but 3 is a lot for one person) and kind of shared everything. Everything was delicious and served as it was ready. I would definitely go back, however, it is somewhat expensive as each dish is around $12-16 so it ends up being at least $25 per person.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014First time at Graffiato. Good food, tables for two way too close together, if bigger crowd you are much better off. some food portions bigger than others, e.g. fish was $15 for small piece not more than two bites. Very busy place, lot of younger people, but service is spot on. Wine/beer by the glass could be less. But food and service very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu but water snobbishOrganigrlDined on 9/6/2014On a recent trip to DC we discovered Graffiato. It was rather late for brunch on a Saturday at 2:00 but we found the place empty. The charming host seated us promptly. Kevin, our waiter, explained the menu and we made our selections. We never saw much of him again and when we did he was rather snobbish. Being an older couple, I think we just didn't measure up to his idea of " hip". Too bad... The food was good but I would hesitate to go back because of the possibility of him waiting on us again.Special Features:
- Great Tapas-like FoodDCFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The food was amazing, very flavorful. The menu often changes so I can't wait to return and try something new. The service was great, but the restaurant is not very roomy so we were seated very close to another party. I ordered the Hanger Steak and the Gnocchi, both were amazing. The portions are small, but the food comes out extremely quicklySpecial Features:
- Can't go wrongArlingtonHatrVIPDined on 9/4/2014Really yummy small plates that run across several genres (not just Italian). Some good cocktails too. Menu kind of small, but varied enough. A bit loud and bright since always a crowd here. But great spot for many occasions.Special Features:
- Great Lunch Dealjsib480Dined on 9/4/2014Completely blown away by the express lunch deal here. It was so much food and of course, so delicious :)Special Features:
- Food Great, a bit noisyjordanDined on 9/3/2014Food is great. Have tried it for lunch and dinner. Tonight seated originally downstairs which was much too noisy, but waiter kindly moved us upstairs which was quieter.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceDiningDuoVIPDined on 9/3/2014Excellent first-time experience, starting with cocktails at the bar, then moving to a table upstairs where we were able to explore the menu at our own pace with much appreciated assistance from our server. Favorites included the Brussels sprouts, broccolini, charred octopus, and rockfish, but it was all good, can't wait to return. The small plates are big enough for four to share, order 3 per depending on appetite. Good wine list, and save room for dessert. Truly a neighborhood gem, and well worth commuting to if it's not in yours. One more shout-out for the service... welcoming, attentive, knowledgeable, friendly, polished, accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMitchDined on 9/3/2014The food and service was great. Many tasty items to choose from. The small plates easily served two people well. The staff was friendly and very knowledgable of the food. Very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, a little noisyMarthaNellDined on 8/28/2014The food was, as always, terrific -- very tasty, perfectly prepared. The octopus was tender, succulent, and to die for. Service was a little weak on Thursday 28th (we had to wait for quite a while) and, having requested a quiet table, we were put back near the bathroom and the kitchen upstairs. But I'll return -- the food was absolutely delicious and my guess is the ok but not great service was just a momentary lapse. Food is exceptional!Special Features:
- Delicious & well pricedKateDined on 8/28/2014Love that this is the restaurant of a well known chef and the food is not super expensive, and that you can try his pepperoni sauce with their superb flat bread for only $5! So so good! Made me like Mike Isabella even more that his food isn't priced like he has a huge ego like a lot of TV-chef's restaurants are. Much more approachable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the varietyTameraLVIPDined on 8/27/2014Smaller plates that can be shared, and just great food, PLUS no cost sparkling water!!Special Features:
- the food, the food, the food!!!!!DCvisitorDined on 8/24/2014Food is outstanding. Server very knowledgeable and helpful. I try to eat here every single time I visit DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loud but goodeatemupDined on 8/23/2014food--interesting pizza design; came out quickly, maybe too quick. the crust wasn't that crunchy. the taste was good. the salads were great. the apps--NJ tomato salad was fantastic; oysters boring; others ok. service--efficient. seemed like they were happy to have us leave as quickly as we arrived.Special Features:
- Very good, but not blown away.nfrishbeDined on 8/23/2014We ordered off the restaurant week menu, and the food was very good but not totally incredible. A few items were great, others were just good. Service was a little spotty; there seemed to be a few mix-ups, as they brought us other people's food a couple of times. Would definitely come back, but would like to do so when it is not restaurant week.Special Features:
- Terrible service over priceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014The hostess was kind. But the waiter barley paid us any attention. The drinks were at least 15/20 each. Strong but not tasty. The food was also really small and sooooo expensive. Pizza is your best bet.Special Features:
- 1st timerYumYumVIPDined on 8/23/2014Glad that I reserved, fun cocktails, vibrant ambiance, wow,is it loud! Fun plates, tasty food, want to return.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week BrunchnewbiefoodieDined on 8/23/2014All of our parties members were satisfied with our meals. The bloody Marys were a particular hit drink-wise, and the breakfast pizza was enjoyed by all. The service was great, attentive, and answered all of our questions - making great recommendations along the way. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great foodMcLeanFoodieDined on 8/23/2014Really enjoyed everything we had here (Jersey shore pizza, broccolini salad, baby kale salad and the tiramisu arancini). Our server was wonderful. We had some questions regarding the extended restaurant week lunch menu. She was very accommodating. Went to Fiola for lunch for restaurant week last week and actually enjoyed Graffiato more. Can't wait to come back and bring friends along. This is the kind of place that you want to bring friends to.Special Features:
- Good but not greatJojoVIPDined on 8/22/2014The pizza was tasty but the gnocchi were too soft, perhaps over cooked. I had heard good things about the restaurant and was excited to go but overall the food was just ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014The Restaurant seemed so small, but it was quite crowded. I would think because the food was good and the service exceptional. I would go back again to sample some of Mike Isabella's culinary greatness!Special Features:
- First timerMiche4572Dined on 8/22/2014I took my mom here for Restaurant Week last Friday. The service was very friendly, and our server helped us decide on two delicious cocktails (Skinny Mike and Champagne Supernova). I liked my kale and bourbon peach salad. Excellent flavors but maybe a bit over-dressed. My mom really liked the catfish dish in the second course. We shared everything except for dessert. My banana bread pudding was plated with a few slices of banana that were brûléed on top. Delicious! A couple issues: the lighting was too bright. That combined with the metal chairs made me feel like I was eating at a McDonalds. Downstairs ambiance looked nice though. Second, the plates were a bit small for the portions. And third, we felt a bit rushed - expedient service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week MenuROMEODined on 8/22/2014In general I found the dishes over-salted and served on oddly-sized plates, almost tapas-like. Also, the food came out of the kitchen at times so different that the three of us in the party were eating at different times.Special Features:
- Good pizza, but that's about allOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/20/2014Slow waiter service. Bussers quick, but our waiter didn't know we existed & forgot 1 of our dishesSpecial Features: