707 6th St. NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://graffiatodc.com/
- Phone: 2022893600x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 10:00pm (Bar & Pizza Oven Open Until 11:00pm), Thursday -Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm (Bar & Pizza Oven Open Until 12:00am), Bar Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 7:00pm ($5 drink specials and "bites" for $3, $4, $5)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Mike Isabella
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Graffiato
Chef Isabella serves seasonal, artisanal pizzas and small plates inspired by the food he grew up eating in New Jersey prepared by his Italian-American grandmother. With heavy influence from Chef Isabella’s Mediterranean and Latin culinary training, Graffiato is anything but a traditional Italian eatery. Roasted potato gnocchi with pork ragu, chicken thighs with pepperoni sauce, charred octopus with tomato mostarda and mint, and hanger steak with pancetta and wild mushrooms are a few of the signature wood oven roasted dishes. Broccolini with red pepper relish and smoked beets with sheep’s milk ricotta are popular first plates. When the kitchen closes, the oven will stay fired to feed Washingtonians looking for a late-night bite.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Graffiato reviews from OpenTable diners
467 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (302)hot spot (163)neighborhood gem (136)good for groups (106)vibrant bar scene (104)great for lunch (96)special occasion (73)great for brunch (43)notable wine list (37)late-night find (32)romantic (28)kid-friendly (27)scenic view (2)Show More
- common thread was missing.WillComeBackDined on 9/28/2014Everything was fine - and to be clear would recommend others to try but it did not blow us away. The food was good and all stood alone, but it felt like there was little commonality in the food.Special Features:
- Happy to finally try!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Love Mike and Top Chef. So happy to finally get here! The food was great and the overall experience was fun for a casual Thursday night! Love the family style/tapas service ... great way to try multiple menu items!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing return visitpseudofoodieVIPDined on 9/25/2014I've eaten at Graffiato many times, usually before a concert. I found our most recent dishes to be too sweet - and the service was mediocre. I understand it was busy - as is usually the case before a concert - but the only dish I really liked was the potato gnocchi...even our standard and typically favorite hand cut spaghetti was very sweet (with too many cherry tomatoes and no taste of Thai basil). The Chinatown ribs were served over drippy and sweet cole slaw....the caesar salad was really sweet too. Overall, the dishes were disappointing...as was the service. I will probably need to find another pre-concert venue unless they improve service and their dishes.Special Features:
- GraffiatoOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2014We love coming here before events at the Verizon Center. This time the pizza wasn't quite as good as usual, but all the other dishes scored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The experiment failed.EpicurusDined on 9/24/2014Except for the small Caesar salad and a small piece of fish to be divided between two persons, there was little of substance served on Wednesday evening. Half of a pizza is hardly a satisfactory entrée in my opinion. The wine pairings were satisfactory. Only the desserts deserved high praise. The table lacked a cloth, and the hardness of the wooden benches was not softened by any cushion. Graffiato is not a restaurant that I would recommend.
- Fantastic foodkeithtDined on 9/20/2014This was our second visit to Graffiato and it was even better than before. It will always be on our list for visiting DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun spotCPfoodieDined on 9/19/2014Graffiato is a really fun place to go with a group. We tried several dishes. The best was the gnocchi, which was amazing. The mussels marinara were not very good--too much marinara and very little of anything else. The pizzas were great; overall great experience.Special Features:
- good but expensivenewToDCDined on 9/19/2014I brought a date to this restaurant and I definitely recommend it. Food is a little expensive and you don't get much but the scene was energetic and the service was great. You are supposed to order 2-3 dishes and share amongst one other person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything is amazinggoodfoodVIPDined on 9/19/2014Haven't had anything here I didn't enjoy. Great pizzas. Great pastas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!WineFoodLoverDined on 9/19/2014Went for an early dinner and it was great! We were there in the middle of happy hour, had a drink and when upstairs for dinner. It was loud for Happy Hour downstairs and perfect for conversation upstairs. We sampled a few different wines and several small plates of food. The cauliflower is to die for! outstanding. Can't wait till I get Isabella's book so i can look up the recipe. My partner and I were deep in conversation so the servers were a little tentative about interrupting us but once we let them know we were there for the food and wine, they took great care of us. I live in Old Town Alexandria - it's 8 stops on the yellow line from my front door to theirs. Graffiato will be a new regular place for me and my friends. Great Job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie should try!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Small plates, great for sharing and able to try several different items. Brussels sprouts and carrot soup was amazing. The pepperoni sauce is good as its reputation suggest. Sat downstairs at counter to watch food being prepared. Was alot of fun. Those cooks work their tail off. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to go back again or recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeColleen20191Dined on 9/18/2014I've been to Graffiato at least 5 times and it was great every time. The $20 express lunch is an amazing deal, and the food is so delicious. "Express" is a bit of a stretch, though - we were there almost two hours with no alcoholic beverages or coffee!Special Features:
- Noisy7daysaweekDined on 9/16/2014This is a very casual pizza place with elevated food choices. It's loud, young and on our particular visit the service was slow even though the restaurant wasn't busy. The menu consists of small plates of which we had the heirloom tomato salad, flatbread and Pepperoni sauce (husband ordered more and thought about licking the bowl when he was done) and the black pepper and Parmesan bucatini. The later was rich and satisfying. We followed that with a prosciutto pizza which was delicious with a perfectly charred crust. A chocolate semi fredo was a great ending. I would recommend this place for a late afternoon weekend or early weeknight meal. It's not fine dining but it's fine food.Special Features:
- Great FindclarissaDined on 9/13/2014So happy I've found this place! The homemade pasta was fantastic. Get the bucatini!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Second time here. It was wonderful. Potato gnocchi is life-changing, it's so good. Not a bad dish the whole time we were there.Special Features:
- 2nd visit, not so much.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014We loved Graffiato the first time around. Although it's too loud, it was balanced with great service and food. Back then our server exchanged a cocktail that I wasn't enjoying. This time our server suggested a cocktail and acted confused when I asked if I could send it back if unhappy with it. She said we could order everything and that they would "course out" the food for us. Unfortunately we ended up with everything on the table at once. The result? Cold Hanger Steak. Other issues: Brussels sprouts swimming in Maple syrup; too Sweet! We couldn't finish them. Pasta outstanding as was the Octopus. Oh, and the cocktail was excellent.
- DeliciousgoodfoodVIPDined on 9/13/2014Second time there, absolutely delicious. Ceasar salad is a little heavy on the dressing but the cream cheese croutons are awesome. Great pizzas, great pasta. Going back this weekend!Special Features:
- Pasta Reigns SupremeJJMDVIPDined on 9/12/2014My friend and I tried the ENTIRE pasta menu and it was AMAZING! The Sweet Corn Agnolotti, the Gnocchi with Pork, and the hand-cut Spaghetti were to die for! Truly some of the best pasta I have EVER had! Love the Chicken Thighs in Pepperoni Sauce as well. When I head to DC, Graffiiato is a MUST visit place to dine!Special Features:
- Beth and MikeMikeDined on 9/12/2014We have eaten here many times and always have an excellent experience. The food is imaginative and exquisite. Love it love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/12/2014Great Food, Great menu, great service, overall great dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GreatGeorgiabrowsDined on 9/11/2014Graffiato never disappoints. It's my solid go-to for Italian in the Penn Quarter. The food is always good, it's perfect for sharing and the menu provides great options for both lunch and dinner. The pizza is particularly good and if you want to treat yourself, go for the zeppole for dessert, (the Italian version of mini doughnuts), they are delicious. The only comment I would have for our visit this time round, was that the broccolini was too salty. Otherwise, a great choice!Special Features:
- Italian + Tapas = AwesomeFriedaFVIPDined on 9/10/2014I really liked this restaurant. After they were slightly snippy about seating me before my dinner companion arrived (yeah, don't do that to people over 40), things greatly improved with both service and food. The food really was outstanding and I'm so glad I saw several pizzas go by and decided to order one (the White House - one of the best I've ever eaten). And the Cacio e Pepe can stand up to the best of Rome - I wish we'd ordered 2! Our waitress was great and the place was packed - which lent to it being really loud, but so worth it for that food.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!WillDined on 9/10/2014Graffiato's is an awesome place to eat! Top Chef Isabella knows how to create outstanding dishes. I didn't even make it to the main dishes because the apps were totally awesome!! Foodies have to try this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/10/2014I think I was expecting more from the restaurant overall because of the hype it seems to get. I thought the dishes were hit or miss though. Perhaps I should have tried the famous pizza sauce. I would recommend it as an option if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go out of your way to eat here.
- Yummy!goodfoodVIPDined on 9/9/2014Delicious food! Loooooved the swseet corn agnolotti. Delish!Special Features:
- BrilliantJaneVIPDined on 9/8/2014Had been there before and knew it was good, but because the three of us couldn't make up our minds, we opted for the tasting menu which was a culinary tour de force. Great contrasts between sweet and sour and skillful use of herbs--ranged from delicious to sublime. Favorites included Sweet Corn Anglotti, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Watercress Salad, Octopus, and the Zeppole for dessert. Probably too much food thoughSpecial Features:
- Great FindAyanna524Dined on 9/8/2014The food, atmosphere, and host staff was over the top. I went based on a recommendation and the fact that the Chef was on TV. The place blew me away. The portions were just enough for my party of one. Thanks for your hospitality while here in DC for business. I will be back for the China Town ribs!!! YumSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Small PlatesNJFoodieDined on 9/7/2014While the concept of small plates is still the rage, don't know why, Italian and small plates didn't sit well. The food was good; especially the pizza - 6 people 4 pizzas. Not many people were there on a Sunday night, which made the noise level very accommodating. Nice place, but doubt if we'll go again.Special Features:
- Promisingceb42Dined on 9/7/2014The menu had some interesting ideas, but there staples like coffee (at brunch) were left out. The service was inattentive and occasionally careless. The food came out quickly, which was good, but not any faster than it should have given the number of people in the restaurant.
- Delicious small plates.AlyssaDined on 9/6/2014We brought my parents here over the weekend and we thoroughly enjoyed the food. We all ordered about 2 plates (they recommend 3 but 3 is a lot for one person) and kind of shared everything. Everything was delicious and served as it was ready. I would definitely go back, however, it is somewhat expensive as each dish is around $12-16 so it ends up being at least $25 per person.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/6/2014First time at Graffiato. Good food, tables for two way too close together, if bigger crowd you are much better off. some food portions bigger than others, e.g. fish was $15 for small piece not more than two bites. Very busy place, lot of younger people, but service is spot on. Wine/beer by the glass could be less. But food and service very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu but water snobbishOrganigrlDined on 9/6/2014On a recent trip to DC we discovered Graffiato. It was rather late for brunch on a Saturday at 2:00 but we found the place empty. The charming host seated us promptly. Kevin, our waiter, explained the menu and we made our selections. We never saw much of him again and when we did he was rather snobbish. Being an older couple, I think we just didn't measure up to his idea of " hip". Too bad... The food was good but I would hesitate to go back because of the possibility of him waiting on us again.Special Features:
- Great Tapas-like FoodDCFoodieDined on 9/5/2014The food was amazing, very flavorful. The menu often changes so I can't wait to return and try something new. The service was great, but the restaurant is not very roomy so we were seated very close to another party. I ordered the Hanger Steak and the Gnocchi, both were amazing. The portions are small, but the food comes out extremely quicklySpecial Features:
- Can't go wrongArlingtonHatrVIPDined on 9/4/2014Really yummy small plates that run across several genres (not just Italian). Some good cocktails too. Menu kind of small, but varied enough. A bit loud and bright since always a crowd here. But great spot for many occasions.Special Features:
- Great Lunch Dealjsib480Dined on 9/4/2014Completely blown away by the express lunch deal here. It was so much food and of course, so delicious :)Special Features:
- Food Great, a bit noisyjordanDined on 9/3/2014Food is great. Have tried it for lunch and dinner. Tonight seated originally downstairs which was much too noisy, but waiter kindly moved us upstairs which was quieter.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceDiningDuoVIPDined on 9/3/2014Excellent first-time experience, starting with cocktails at the bar, then moving to a table upstairs where we were able to explore the menu at our own pace with much appreciated assistance from our server. Favorites included the Brussels sprouts, broccolini, charred octopus, and rockfish, but it was all good, can't wait to return. The small plates are big enough for four to share, order 3 per depending on appetite. Good wine list, and save room for dessert. Truly a neighborhood gem, and well worth commuting to if it's not in yours. One more shout-out for the service... welcoming, attentive, knowledgeable, friendly, polished, accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingMitchDined on 9/3/2014The food and service was great. Many tasty items to choose from. The small plates easily served two people well. The staff was friendly and very knowledgable of the food. Very enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, a little noisyMarthaNellDined on 8/28/2014The food was, as always, terrific -- very tasty, perfectly prepared. The octopus was tender, succulent, and to die for. Service was a little weak on Thursday 28th (we had to wait for quite a while) and, having requested a quiet table, we were put back near the bathroom and the kitchen upstairs. But I'll return -- the food was absolutely delicious and my guess is the ok but not great service was just a momentary lapse. Food is exceptional!Special Features:
- Delicious & well pricedKateDined on 8/28/2014Love that this is the restaurant of a well known chef and the food is not super expensive, and that you can try his pepperoni sauce with their superb flat bread for only $5! So so good! Made me like Mike Isabella even more that his food isn't priced like he has a huge ego like a lot of TV-chef's restaurants are. Much more approachable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.