8905 Melrose Avenue
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.graciasmadreweho.com/
- Phone: 3239782170
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Chandra Gilbert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Gracias Madre
Gracias Madre is truly an expression of who we are.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Gracias Madre - Best Restaurants in West Hollywood ›
Gracias Madre reviews from OpenTable diners
330 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (280)fit for foodies (209)hot spot (182)good for groups (167)neighborhood gem (148)great for lunch (145)romantic (129)special occasion (123)great for brunch (109)vibrant bar scene (99)kid-friendly (37)late-night find (33)notable wine list (21)scenic view (16)Show More
- Decent food, bad attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The hostest was extremely unfriendly upon entering. Once I was able to get her to even look up at me from her desk, she refused to say hello and immediately asked if I had a reservation. I did. I gave her the name and asked if my whipe party (2) was there. I looked to see if my date was at the bar. She barked "come back when you're all here". A moment later I saw my friend waiting for me and I tried to tell her. She ignored me and gave major attitude until reluctantly leading us to a table with a frown. The waiter was a little more friendly. The good was just ok but that hostest really ruined the experience.Special Features:
- Melrose hot spotEatSleepEatDined on 10/16/2014Great outdoor patio. Food and Margaritas were delicious. Celebs everywhere (Cindy Crawford sat at the table next to us).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No expectation Big surpriseBrandoXODined on 10/15/2014This place impress my clients big time even thou it was veganSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, yum, yumJonnyMussVIPDined on 10/11/2014Love that this is totally vegan - A+. Food was even better my second time around. I ordered the roasted cauliflower in cashew sauce that was simply the best dish I've had in a long time. Their salad selection is outstanding and perfectly portioned. Love the prices even more. This will be a go to location for me moving forward. Love the ambiance.Special Features:
- Always love itAOCRegularVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've probably eaten here a dozen times, and I'm not even vegan. The dinner is great, and I love the brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Gracias Madre has a couple of opportunities: they sometimes seem to be understaffed behind the bar, which causes delays in getting drinks out, and the bartenders won't make a drink to order; they'll only serve the drinks on the list, which are all premixed and kept in jugs. This tells me they don't want to pay experienced bartenders who actually would be capable of making custom drinks. However, the drinks thing is a small issue, made up for with a good wine and tequila list which gives you options outside the list of generally over-sweet cocktails. I'd love to see a made to order Oaxacan old fashioned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Go ToSkycycleVIPDined on 10/8/2014Gracias Madre has become my go to restaurant for everything from work drinks to special occasions with friends. They are always so helpful when it comes to seating us quickly, finding us a good table, and making recommendations. I will continue to return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LolaVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great patio, beautiful... But the food was not to our taste... Too spicy, too sweet... But the tequila was good :)
- Food Mostly Very GoodUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 10/6/2014Enjoyed the tacos very much but a side of kale and pumpkin seeds needed more flavor as very bitter. The red wine was delicious.Special Features:
- great !LADiner77Dined on 10/5/2014Second time there. I will return- great food excellent service in a beautiful setting. Opulence.Special Features:
- Early Closedavid515VIPDined on 10/4/2014Didnt realize when I made a 10:00PM reservation that they closed at 11 on Saturdays. They had us in and out before close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014The servers were busy, but they made up for it by being as attentive as possible. Will be back over and over, pricey but worth it for special occasions would be nice to get some churros, and maybe just a little more variety in dishes.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere & drinks; food mehboyonfilmVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food didn't come as ordered. Menu is unexciting, food unsatisfying. It's a gorgeous environment. Come for yummy drinks & guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First timeveganDined on 10/1/2014First time we have been to Gracias Madre. The food is excellent the restaurant is beautiful ,and I am so happy to see a vegan restaurant of this size this full on a wednesday night ! We were planning our next visit halfway through dinner If I had any complaint it was that the menu was a bit had to read in the lighting . But I say go to Gracias Madre now ! What are you waiting forSpecial Features:
- Terrific vegan cuisineWilliamDined on 9/30/2014Even if you don't eat a plant-based diet, the food here is so good that you might change your mind. The waiters will guide you through the menu, but everything we tried was top-notch, so you could just pick anything at random and be served a winner. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Celebrating a vegetarian's birthdayPhilippeDined on 9/28/2014It was nice to invite our vegetarian family member to dinner and know that she could choose anything on the menu. Personally, I wonder how many diners would be affected if the restaurant were to include dairy products in its dishes. PhilippeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful space, bland foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014Although the place is beautiful, the food is bland and drinks are off. I ordered the "mi palabra" drink and I would have to describe it as potpourri water. Not drinkable. Maybe the bartender was off that night? To eat I ordered the enchiladas con mole. It could have been spicier and the beans are too liquidy.
- Vegan HeavenpabloDined on 9/23/2014This has been my 3rd time here in 3 weeks. Service is inconsistent, but the food is not. For vegan fare, its hard to do better. The drinks are pretty awesome too, although the sangria was much too sweet and didn't really fit the mold of what a good sangria is. Stick to the margaritas and some of the more inventive cocktails of which there are plenty!Special Features:
- beautiful space, so-so foodskarDined on 9/23/2014the food at cafe gratitude is way better, it's possible that this place could turn non-vegans against vegan food. But the ambiance is fun and beautiful and the drinks are goodSpecial Features:
- Mexican Vegan!!!TrishandChipsDined on 9/23/2014I love mexican food and my wife is converting me over to a eat a vegan diet (she says to keep me healthier and around longer). So, Gracias Madre is a perfect place for us. The food is some of the best mexican in LA, and the tequila is beyond compare. Although the food is vegan, it tastes better than the meat & lard based food at other mexican locations. We have tried something different every time, and all entrees have been excellent - favorite so far has been the mole enchiladas. However, we always start with chips, quac & tres salsas - so good. We have been several times and just love to sit outside on the patio, especially in the summer, because the noise level is such that we can actually have a conversation without shouting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous vegan restaurantJillianDined on 9/20/2014The food is incredibly scrumptious. The drinks are fun and yummy, and the service is terrific. The atmosphere is wonderful. The quesadillas are a fluffy, creamy dream! Delectable! The cauliflower starter is delicious. The flautas and the hominy stew are superb. The chopped salad is light and fresh, with very nice flavors. The enchiladas con mole were amazing the first time I had them, but the second time, the sauce wasn't right and the corn tortillas overwhelmed the dish. I hope to have the same chocolate-y, flavorful mole dish the next time.Special Features:
- ExcellentLavienutritionDined on 9/19/2014I enjoyed every bit of it! The food, the service, the quality if ingredients, the options available, the ambiance. Everything! It's great to enjoy my food knowing it's all nurishing with the best organic ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurantJillianDined on 9/18/2014You wouldn't know that this is a vegan restaurant. It's every bit as good as any restaurant, vegan or otherwise. It's also great for your conscience knowing no animals were harmed in your enjoyment of a wonderful meal. Delicious choices, from drinks to appertizers, to main course and dessert. SO yummy!!! And their coffees, teas and espressos are to die for as well. Everyone was helpful, friendly, professional and great to deal with, from the person who answered the phone when I called to say I was going to be late, to the valet, to the hostesses, to the waiter, etc.Special Features:
- All around awesomeEbroph1991Dined on 9/17/2014I have found my new favorite spot. Bonus is how health conscious the menu is (all plant based).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST VEGAN CHEESEOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014I love this place. I crave the cashew cheese daily!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, Gracias MadreveganfoodieDined on 9/17/2014Beautiful restaurant, excellent food (if a bit overpriced). Pro staff. Wish there were more lunch items and less with cashews as their base. Are reservations really necessary? Half the place was empty when we arrived. Overall great experience. Would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itlfadVIPDined on 9/16/2014Fabulous food, great service, excellent bar and good prices. Plus the place is gorgeous. I am definitely coming back, often.Special Features:
- Best dinnerjuststoppedbyDined on 9/14/2014It was awesome. Everything about it. So there's a fifty character minimum I need to fill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time here is the charmpabloDined on 9/14/2014The first time I went to this place, the service wasn't good and the mix of snooty clientele and staff was off-putting. But this time the service was friendly, informative and helpful. The bar still has to learn how to please its customers - the purist mixologist standards seem more in place for the owners and bartenders than the customer. (I ordered a mescal "build your own" cocktail and they wouldn't serve it because they were out of the mescal they like to use. Pretty lame when you look at their extensive mescal list.) For vegan cuisine its hard to do better which is why I will be coming back. If not for that, its frustrating when a restaurant looks down on you. Great food but overall condescending atmosphere creates a mixed bag.Special Features:
- amazingVisitingFoodieDined on 9/14/2014From the service to the food to the ambiance. Five stars. Took my Mother and group of friends visiting there for brunch. All had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous veganann3985Dined on 9/13/2014Innovative and beautifully presented vegan dishes in a lovely setting. Sat on the patio which has great ambiance and was perfect for a warm September evening. The only drawback was the waiter who seemed to wish he was elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm Not Vegan2MundosDined on 9/12/2014The food was delicious, filling and great food presentation. The drink mixology is w/o a doubt amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Birthday DinnerDianeatstudio11Dined on 9/12/2014I'm so over going to any restaurant that doesn't have vegetarian or vegan entree asking for no meat but having to pay full price for veggies and pasta. I had a wonderful experience at Gracias Madre. The bar was efficient and friendly. Our server was good and food was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love everythingRobynDined on 9/11/2014If you are a vegan eat here. If you are not, first of all go vegan, and in the mean time eat here. It will blow your mind how good the mexican food in general is, but more importantly how good vegan mexican food is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone Will Love ThisGoodFoodBadSvcVIPDined on 9/11/2014Think you can't eat at a vegan restaurant? Think again. This place is amazing.Special Features:
- Long wait even with a reservation.ObjectiveVegDined on 9/10/2014Tables turn slowly and the restaurant apparently over books. The wait staff are great but they need to be versed in the subtle art of encouraging people to not linger too long when a large number of people are waiting for tables. Book an early seating or risk having to wait up to 20+ minutes for your reserved table. This wouldn't be a problem if patrons appreciated the fact that they reserve a table for dinner, not for an extended evening of lounging. Be considerate of others and the restaurant. If the place is packed and people are waiting in a standing room only situation, don't sit around chit chatting. Your reservation is for a meal, not for the evening.Special Features:
- Fan Favorite!PicEdinerDined on 9/5/2014As a vegatarian I'm always on the look our for inventive, freah and big flavored dishes. Gracias Madre is all that rolled into a chic, hip scene. Better than your mama's Mexican try the Cauliflower, the Flautas & the Coconut Ceviche Toastado. You will be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Space, But Not Much ElseGastronomitisticalVIPDined on 9/5/2014I wanted SO badly to love Gracias Madre, but cannot recommend it. The outdoor dining and overall ambiance was fantastic. The tequila and mescal focused cocktail menu was right in up my alley. The menu seemed enticing and creative. But I actually want my dinner food to be cooked and hot (or at least warm). Although this is not promoted as a "raw" food vegan restaurant, it seemed like it was. Everything was essentially raw vegetables, corn tortillas etc. I'm all for vegetarian food as I have been mostly vegetarian for many years. And to have an upscale, fine-dining vegetarian restaurant with a full bar and awesome cocktail program is fantastic. I just want this place to be SO much betterSpecial Features:
- Upscale VeganDarstcoachVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wow! What a delight to find a BEAUTIFUL Vegan restaurant with wonderful food!Special Features:
- Just disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2014The space is lovely. I hope the vegan craze disappears and a good restaurant will take over the location.
- Delicious food & gorgeous interiorYumyummyDined on 9/3/2014Our Server Jesse was friendly, attentive and informative. I treated a friend to a birthday dinner on the beautiful patio. The food felt very nourishing and was well prepared and presented. I can't wait to come back and experience more from the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.