8905 Melrose Avenue
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.graciasmadreweho.com/
- Phone: 3239782170
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Chandra Gilbert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Gracias Madre
Gracias Madre is truly an expression of who we are.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Gracias Madre - Best Restaurants in West Hollywood ›
Gracias Madre reviews from OpenTable diners
343 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (289)fit for foodies (210)hot spot (182)good for groups (155)neighborhood gem (150)great for lunch (147)romantic (125)special occasion (120)great for brunch (113)vibrant bar scene (107)kid-friendly (37)late-night find (32)notable wine list (21)scenic view (18)Show More
- Fantastic restaurantJillianDined on 9/18/2014You wouldn't know that this is a vegan restaurant. It's every bit as good as any restaurant, vegan or otherwise. It's also great for your conscience knowing no animals were harmed in your enjoyment of a wonderful meal. Delicious choices, from drinks to appertizers, to main course and dessert. SO yummy!!! And their coffees, teas and espressos are to die for as well. Everyone was helpful, friendly, professional and great to deal with, from the person who answered the phone when I called to say I was going to be late, to the valet, to the hostesses, to the waiter, etc.Special Features:
- All around awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014I have found my new favorite spot. Bonus is how health conscious the menu is (all plant based).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST VEGAN CHEESEOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014I love this place. I crave the cashew cheese daily!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you, Gracias MadreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Beautiful restaurant, excellent food (if a bit overpriced). Pro staff. Wish there were more lunch items and less with cashews as their base. Are reservations really necessary? Half the place was empty when we arrived. Overall great experience. Would come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itlfadVIPDined on 9/16/2014Fabulous food, great service, excellent bar and good prices. Plus the place is gorgeous. I am definitely coming back, often.Special Features:
- Best dinnerjuststoppedbyDined on 9/14/2014It was awesome. Everything about it. So there's a fifty character minimum I need to fill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time here is the charmpabloDined on 9/14/2014The first time I went to this place, the service wasn't good and the mix of snooty clientele and staff was off-putting. But this time the service was friendly, informative and helpful. The bar still has to learn how to please its customers - the purist mixologist standards seem more in place for the owners and bartenders than the customer. (I ordered a mescal "build your own" cocktail and they wouldn't serve it because they were out of the mescal they like to use. Pretty lame when you look at their extensive mescal list.) For vegan cuisine its hard to do better which is why I will be coming back. If not for that, its frustrating when a restaurant looks down on you. Great food but overall condescending atmosphere creates a mixed bag.Special Features:
- amazingVisitingFoodieDined on 9/14/2014From the service to the food to the ambiance. Five stars. Took my Mother and group of friends visiting there for brunch. All had a lovely time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous veganann3985Dined on 9/13/2014Innovative and beautifully presented vegan dishes in a lovely setting. Sat on the patio which has great ambiance and was perfect for a warm September evening. The only drawback was the waiter who seemed to wish he was elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm Not Vegan2MundosDined on 9/12/2014The food was delicious, filling and great food presentation. The drink mixology is w/o a doubt amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Birthday DinnerDianeatstudio11Dined on 9/12/2014I'm so over going to any restaurant that doesn't have vegetarian or vegan entree asking for no meat but having to pay full price for veggies and pasta. I had a wonderful experience at Gracias Madre. The bar was efficient and friendly. Our server was good and food was fantasticSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love everythingRobynDined on 9/11/2014If you are a vegan eat here. If you are not, first of all go vegan, and in the mean time eat here. It will blow your mind how good the mexican food in general is, but more importantly how good vegan mexican food is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait even with a reservation.ObjectiveVegDined on 9/10/2014Tables turn slowly and the restaurant apparently over books. The wait staff are great but they need to be versed in the subtle art of encouraging people to not linger too long when a large number of people are waiting for tables. Book an early seating or risk having to wait up to 20+ minutes for your reserved table. This wouldn't be a problem if patrons appreciated the fact that they reserve a table for dinner, not for an extended evening of lounging. Be considerate of others and the restaurant. If the place is packed and people are waiting in a standing room only situation, don't sit around chit chatting. Your reservation is for a meal, not for the evening.Special Features:
- Fan Favorite!PicEdinerDined on 9/5/2014As a vegatarian I'm always on the look our for inventive, freah and big flavored dishes. Gracias Madre is all that rolled into a chic, hip scene. Better than your mama's Mexican try the Cauliflower, the Flautas & the Coconut Ceviche Toastado. You will be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Space, But Not Much ElseGastronomitisticalVIPDined on 9/5/2014I wanted SO badly to love Gracias Madre, but cannot recommend it. The outdoor dining and overall ambiance was fantastic. The tequila and mescal focused cocktail menu was right in up my alley. The menu seemed enticing and creative. But I actually want my dinner food to be cooked and hot (or at least warm). Although this is not promoted as a "raw" food vegan restaurant, it seemed like it was. Everything was essentially raw vegetables, corn tortillas etc. I'm all for vegetarian food as I have been mostly vegetarian for many years. And to have an upscale, fine-dining vegetarian restaurant with a full bar and awesome cocktail program is fantastic. I just want this place to be SO much betterSpecial Features:
- Upscale VeganDarstcoachVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wow! What a delight to find a BEAUTIFUL Vegan restaurant with wonderful food!Special Features:
- Just disappointing.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/5/2014The space is lovely. I hope the vegan craze disappears and a good restaurant will take over the location.
- Delicious food & gorgeous interiorYumyummyDined on 9/3/2014Our Server Jesse was friendly, attentive and informative. I treated a friend to a birthday dinner on the beautiful patio. The food felt very nourishing and was well prepared and presented. I can't wait to come back and experience more from the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Vegan HotspotWeHoFoodiesDined on 9/1/2014Been here several times and to their location in San Fransisco. Food is A+++ innovative, original and delicious. Every non-vegan friend LOVES this and thats not always easy. Our waiter was an uncomfortable miss, but all the other times the opposite was the case so willing to look past that "fluke". BEST PATIO in town as well. Every food item we have ever tried is a home-run. Every one. The manager was also A+ in helping us with a special need. He handled this effortlessly and we were all grateful. NOT TO BE MISSED!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lack of service ruined everything!davoDined on 8/30/2014Food was great, the vibe was awesome, but bad service has spread like cancer here. We couldn't get our server, the runners or even the bussers to do the minimum required work. We constantly ran out of water, sat around waiting for someone to show up to order our next course and the list goes on! Our drinks showed up after out main course was dropped. We went through pre-app, app and midway through main before we saw our bevs! Wow!!! The last nail in the coffin was when our desserts were dropped without utensils. Needless to say, our desserts got cold and the ice cream melted by the time we were able to flag someone down. Save your money and go elsewhere...Special Features:
- KidsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Do not bring them to dinner past 8:00pm. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!dwntwntovanVIPDined on 8/30/2014For vegans and non-vegans alike, how could you not like their food? Every dish is rich in taste. The staff are kept hopping, so sometimes the wait for service can be a little while longer than expected. A couple of waiters are lacking in enthusiasm, but most are fantastic! Don't let it deter you from a great meal.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance. good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The food was strictly OK but the ambiance was excellent. Nice place for a date.Special Features:
- cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Our first visit we could not stop ordering the great variety of cocktails, we seriously were so impressed and maybe had to much to drink and had to walk around weho to sober up, this time the cocktails were not impressive at all, no one in our group ordered a second round (and were all aficionados of tequila and most other alcoholic beverages) very disappointing, but great food and great serviceSpecial Features:
- FoodexpertDined on 8/21/2014Wonderful for out door dining experience ,only been there for dinner hi energie very colorful group of people highly recommend will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out of excusesSarcasticGourmetDined on 8/21/2014If looking for vegetarian or vegan options in LA, your choices are increasing all the time. Gracias Madre is another amazing option in this space, with great food, amazing service, and an outdoor setting that makes the most of LA weather. Sharing plates with your friends adds to the ambience of the meal.Special Features:
- OasisSheilaDined on 8/20/2014An experience unique to Los Angeles - from the welcoming desk -to servers- to great food - to ambience - it is superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All fresh !!!JuliettaDined on 8/20/2014Best vegan tacos and quesadillas ever!!! The food is so fresh and they make fabulous fresh juices !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014I brought my daughter for the vegan cuisine. Lunch was good. I liked the cauliflower taco. Salsa was outstanding. I didn't have anything that would make me return or recommend.Special Features:
- Full of flavorpickypickypickyVIPDined on 8/17/2014I was very impresses .........I have several food allergies and after we ordered the Manager, came over with a list of the ingredients to make sure I was okay with my selections. The Mole Mushrooms were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty food, iffy overall experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014As vegetarians who love Mexican food, we booked for a Sunday night as a special treat to ourselves, driving cross town. The service was adequate -- immediate seating, long wait to get drinks and order, fast delivery of the food once ordered. The food was very tasty and well presented: gorditos as a starter, and flautas and El Plato as entrees. The housemade tortillas, salsas (including the jars on the table), pico de gallo, black beans were each notably well-made and richly-but-subtly-flavored. Housemade ginger ale was amazing! Unfortunately, being seated squeezed between the wall and a nonstop-talkative couple made the experience at best mixed. Also, the crowd/ambience was pretty monochromatically white/Anglo ... unsurprising but sad.Special Features:
- Delicious; not terribly expensivesusanemDined on 8/17/2014The drink list was extensive as was the menu in general. We had drinks (generous pours, too), appetizers, and entrees for 2 and the bill was around $80 before tip. The food was delicious and plentiful; there were leftovers for a filling lunch the next day. We made reservations in advance to score a spot on the patio. It was beautiful and well worth the planning.Special Features:
- Lovely in every wayCarileeDined on 8/16/2014I've been wanting to try Gracias Madre for some time, being a fan of Cafe Gratitude in Nor Cal. My hopes were high and they were absolutely exceeded. I had a tamarind margarita ("Don Francisco") and rellenitos and my date had sangria and the flautas. The food was fresh and inventive and just awesome. I was in love with my margarita. We were so stoked we went back for brunch the next day and had the chilequiles and French toast with an horchata latte. These dishes were delicious and not overly heavy or sweet. Just right. The latte was divine. I will dream about these meals for nights to come. Both servers were personable & informative. Beautiful ambiance: casual, elegant, welcoming.Special Features:
- Vegan HeavenMiamiToLADined on 8/14/2014Do not think twice about dining here. Be like Nike and JUST DO IT! Do not look back, just pass go and join this place for their heavenly vegan Mexican cuisine. Amazing! The drinks are of divine nature and the ambiance every time I'm here is on a whole different caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing......DeborahWDined on 8/14/2014The food and ambiance are fantastic! We sat in the patio which was beautiful.....didn't feel like we were in the middle of the city. The inside of the restaurant is all white painted brick with black accents....very hip yet soothing. I highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to go back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracias for Gracias Madre!SaratogaDined on 8/14/2014I love this place, and I am not even a vegan. The food is delicious and fresh and creative, the wait staff knowledgeable, and the cocktails are out of this world! Wish I could remember the name of the one I had with with the lovely green star fruit in the center. It was tequila with agave, St. Germain and something peppery. The cauliflower tacos were yummy, as was the salad, the guacamole and the tortas. I hope to be back very very soon. Oh, and the peach cobbler with the coconut vegan ice-cream was to die for!Special Features:
- DialjeffJeffVIPDined on 8/14/2014The lunch was good but not great. Very nice ambiance! It could use some more meat or chicken , their is almost either on the menu.Special Features:
- On of my favorite meals in LAMrandMrsAdventureDined on 8/12/2014The butternut squash quesadilla and the summer corn quesadilla were INCREDIBLE, we had them for an appetizer. We also had the tacos, the flautas and the enchiladas, the enchiladas were the best entree at the table. Then for dessert we all shared the peach cobbler and the brownie... the brownie was warm and delicious but the cobbler had fresh peaches and coconut ice cream... really can't go wrong with either one, but the cobbler i a much better size for sharing. Absolutely delicious and even though we were all full, we all felt great after because everything is made with such great ingredients :)Special Features:
- Must tryMelindaDined on 8/11/2014Incredible experience. As Angelinos we have access to plenty of Mexican food but nothing like the creativity of Gracias Madre. Each dish was created with much thought and was a delectable treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VeglvrDined on 8/11/2014Delicious food and a great atmosphere. It's so nice to have a restaurant available with plant-based choices that are really creative!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.