8905 Melrose Avenue
West Hollywood, CA 90069Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.graciasmadreweho.com/
- Phone: (323) 978-2170
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Saturday & Sunday: 3:00pm - 5:00pm
Daily: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican, Vegan
- Executive Chef: Chandra Gilbert
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Gracias Madre
Gracias Madre is truly an expression of who we are.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Gracias Madre - Best Restaurants in West Hollywood ›
Gracias Madre reviews from OpenTable diners
307 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (262)fit for foodies (198)hot spot (177)good for groups (168)neighborhood gem (132)great for lunch (125)romantic (117)special occasion (117)vibrant bar scene (95)great for brunch (88)kid-friendly (32)late-night find (27)notable wine list (18)scenic view (13)Show More
- Surprisingly excellent vegetarian placeAllenVIPDined on 11/23/2014Didn't realize this was a vegetarian restaurant -- the open table listing didn't mention it, as far as I could tell -- but the food was excellent and the ambiance equally so. I will take any vegetarian friends there. One disappointment: they don't serve a non-alcoholic beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good but VERY loud and a bit on the cold sideOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Great food at a reasonable price for a trendy westside eatery but do not go there on a Saturday night if you want to talk with the people you are dining with. If you do, you will be saying "what?" a lot. The food is really different and really good. Our table was ready exactly at our reservation time so no waiting which was nice. Our waiter was very good and really sweet. But the owners seem to not have a lot of confidence in the food because they seem to think that people will not come unless it is a "happening" place with a lot of chaos and loudness. like most places these days, they play really loud music which you cannot hear at all other than the bass line. This makes everybody talk louder to be heard which makes it harder for everybody else around them so they have to talk louder. My wife and I kind of gave up trying to converse and hurried through our food to get out. Another factor in leaving before we would have normally was how cold it was inside. They have three very large doors open to the patio and whatever it is like outside is what it is like inside. I'd never go back on a Saturday and would dress a lot warmer. So, about the noise. I guess they want you to eat and get out so they can turn the table over to more patrons and get more money. Really a shame because this place could be really comfortable if it was not for the loud music (which you can't really hear what it is anyway) and the cold. On a warm night outside may be better or maybe on a Tuesday it is OK if you wear a heavy coat. Don't know if they do take out but would be more comfortable to order and eat in the car or take home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eye-Opening VeganEricVIPDined on 11/21/2014This place seems like it's designed to be the ultimate LA crowd-pleaser - a gorgeous space with amazing drinks and a yummy menu. The fact that it's vegan is a bit of a surprise at first. But the quality of the food says the choice to be vegan isn't an after-thought or some kind of marketing ploy. These people seem determined to show that vegan doesn't have to equal marginal and can even give you new appreciation for old stand-by Mexican dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulnothappyDined on 11/19/2014One would never know that all the food is vegen. Everything is prepared to perfection. The wait staff was so helpful and patient - never felt rushed to make a decision. Our special request was met and surpassed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous...debco67Dined on 11/19/2014I love the decor, ambiance, food and drink! The only problem is that it is so popular, it is very noisy, particularly if seated inside. The food is so delicious and unusual. If I could cook like this I would be a vegan. The sangria was great and packs a punch! I took a dear friend here for her birthday and she loved it! All around a great addition to the LA food scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plant-based Mexican -- Good for Vegan PalsNotafoodieDined on 11/19/2014The restaurant is lovely. Although I'm not a bar person, it is clear that it has a vibrant bar scene. Lots of young, attractive, upwardly mobile types. Great location in West Hollywood on Melrose. I took two friends here who are vegetarian and they really liked the food and the drinks. While I'm not a red meat eater, I still eat poultry and fish and I definitely feel a lack in food when I don't have a source of animal protein with a meal. So the food for me was not great. However, the vegan flan was out of this world. Better than the "regular" egg-based version you get at other restaurants. Gracias Madre probably won't be a regular dining spot for me, however, it is a great place to keep on the list when hosting vegan/vegetarian guests.Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedShariDined on 11/17/2014I was at Gracias Madre with a group of friends a few months back. The bartender insisted we try his specialty, which ended up being the most delicious margaritas I've ever had. We sat outside and enjoyed dish after dish of delicious food. This time, however, my margarita was only ok and the drink my husband got was strange and not good. We were there for a birthday dinner so I let the birthday "girl" choose the food. None of us were overwhelmed with the tastes. We all though that after a few bites, it all tasted the same. There was cilantro in almost everything so that really bothered 3 out of the 4 at my table (not a problem for me). Many items were spicy and there was no chance of ordering the dish with less spiciness. The desserts were only ok. The atmosphere was very nice, though, especially in that back garden. Overall, I was a little disappointed and wonder where my great memories were from.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan surpriseBelAirVIPDined on 11/15/2014I did not realize that Gracias Madre was a vegan restaurant when I reserved - it was mainly for the Zagat mention of a great decor. However, I was pleasantly surprised - it didn't "feel" like a vegan restaurant, and there were plenty of choices which didn't try too hard to be something else. Fabulous margaritas, by the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chilled tequila was too expensive and small.ReposadoDined on 11/13/2014The service was slow. We asked for 2 chilled tequilas which usually consist of 2 shots but they only gave us one and charged as much as other places charge for 2. First the waiter brought a normal shot with lime when I had asked for child. The waiter was not paying too much attention and took too ing to bring anything to the table. After having two chilled tequilas and an appetizer we decided to leave and have dinner somewhere else. When we saw the bill we were even more disappointed that they charged us more that they should've for the chilled tequilas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vegan mexican heavenanniewartDined on 11/13/2014I'm late to this party - as it seems all the celebs in WeHo people this place already. So be prepared for the beautiful people. Food is amazing. A truly terrific tequila bar (BYO Old Fashioned with beautiful Tequila). It's expensive. The ambiance is special. Decide for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome vegan foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014The food was amazing! The service was impeccable. Friendly and knowledgable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT!GREGMDined on 11/10/2014Purrrfect experience, literally. Amazing vegan food, lovely building, wonderful service. I cant say enough good things :)Special Features:
- Always enjoyableAOCRegularVIPDined on 11/9/2014The weekend brunch is my favorite thing in LA right now. The service can be variable, but it is always friendly and pleasant. I've probably had brunch here a dozen times and been for dinner another 4-5 times and I would definitely recommend GM to anyone who likes Mexican food, whether you be vegan or not (I'm not).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very LoudFraxalatoDined on 11/8/2014Cocktails and food was great. Service was slow, but sometimes it's nice not to feel rushed. The noise level indoors was really bad. Could barely hear the person I was with. They allow animals indoors and out, so there may be someone licking your feet throughout the meal.Special Features:
- Great local spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014This place was fantastic. I took my husband here for his birthday because we live nearby but had never been. We had no idea it was a vegan restaurant, so I was a little hesitant when we first got there, but my fears were squashed as soon as the first appetizer came out. (The cauliflower with cashew cheese as amazing!) The service was wonderful and helpful, especially for someone who is not a vegan. The ambiance was great and staff was friendly. I also think the prices of everything were right on point. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go Vegan!foodsurferDined on 11/5/2014My partner is a vegetarian so I am always searching for food that is delicious and NOT simply 'fake meat.' So far every item we tried at G.M. was amazing. Great textures. Very fresh. Super original.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible foodJournalistDined on 11/4/2014Sorry but I went to review the place for my column and felt I shouldn't as the only positive thing was the outside dining area. Food was terrible!Special Features:
- EcnerwalDined on 11/4/2014The ambience of this place is great. It feels like a modern upscale bistro with a mexican twist. However, I did not enjoy the food as much as I hoped I would. The guacamole was bland and was such a small portion for the price ($8). The mole enchilada ($16) was sizable, but it tasted overly salty and lacking of flavor. I suppose I expected better for the price. But the attentive service, the presentation of the food and the vibrant atmosphere were all wonderful, and made up for my disappointment in the dishes. Perhaps I just ordered the wrong items, but I am not sure I could give it my recommendation from this first experience at least.Special Features:
- Great special occasion veganvegchic74Dined on 11/2/2014Though if I lived closer I'd come more often than just special occasions! This vegan restaurant has a menu that will please veggies and omnis alike, I think. Their drinks are excellent, and so are their chips. Lovely space - both inside and out.Special Features:
- AOCRegularVIPDined on 11/2/2014My all-time favorite brunch spot. I have been here more weekends than not since the summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite there.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014Some of the recipes sounded very interesting but I don't think the taste was quite there.Special Features:
- poor serviceSwansonpDined on 10/29/2014I love this place for the environment/ambiance but the service is terrible. it happens every time. they need to get it together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Place is THE PlaceMiamiToLADined on 10/28/2014I've dined at Gracias Madre about 5 times since I moved out to LA a few months ago. This is the absolute best place for vegan food with a extraordinary twist. The drinks are of divine nature, the food is excellent, the service is laid back, friendly and approachable. Not pretentious whatsoever. Love this place. Will continue to dine here and bring all my family & friends when they visit Los Angeles! Keep up the phenomenal work, Gracias Madre!Special Features:
- Great Just GreatGreatVeganDined on 10/26/2014Second time I have been to Gracias Madre it was so hood the first time I decided to take my family and friends . None of them are even vegetarian. They were not disappointed. Everyone loved everything about it .GREAT Food GREAT atmosphere , GREAT People. GO NOW !!!Special Features:
- VEGANS REJOICE!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/26/2014I LOVE the food here. Even my non-vegan friends who were probably a little scared of the idea of eating there LOVED everything they ordered. The Gorditas were awesome, and everything had flavor. Most vegan and vegetarian restaurants in LA are asian themed. So to find a Mexican vegan restaurant is cause for celebration in and of itself. And to have the food be as excellent as it was, BONUS! It's a little on the pricey side, but it's well worth it.Special Features:
- DisappointedNativeAngelinoDined on 10/18/20142nd time. Way smaller portions. Enchiladas not filled, just empty rolled tortillas. "The plata" not only was not balanced to the palate, It was like they ran out of food and just plated condiments. We should have kept the the other peoples food that was wrongly served to us 15 minutes before.Special Features:
- Decent food, bad attitudeJohnDined on 10/18/2014The hostest was extremely unfriendly upon entering. Once I was able to get her to even look up at me from her desk, she refused to say hello and immediately asked if I had a reservation. I did. I gave her the name and asked if my whipe party (2) was there. I looked to see if my date was at the bar. She barked "come back when you're all here". A moment later I saw my friend waiting for me and I tried to tell her. She ignored me and gave major attitude until reluctantly leading us to a table with a frown. The waiter was a little more friendly. The good was just ok but that hostest really ruined the experience.Special Features:
- Melrose hot spotEatSleepEatDined on 10/16/2014Great outdoor patio. Food and Margaritas were delicious. Celebs everywhere (Cindy Crawford sat at the table next to us).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No expectation Big surpriseBrandoXODined on 10/15/2014This place impress my clients big time even thou it was veganSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum, yum, yumJonnyMussVIPDined on 10/11/2014Love that this is totally vegan - A+. Food was even better my second time around. I ordered the roasted cauliflower in cashew sauce that was simply the best dish I've had in a long time. Their salad selection is outstanding and perfectly portioned. Love the prices even more. This will be a go to location for me moving forward. Love the ambiance.Special Features:
- Always love itAOCRegularVIPDined on 10/11/2014I've probably eaten here a dozen times, and I'm not even vegan. The dinner is great, and I love the brunch on Saturday and Sunday. Gracias Madre has a couple of opportunities: they sometimes seem to be understaffed behind the bar, which causes delays in getting drinks out, and the bartenders won't make a drink to order; they'll only serve the drinks on the list, which are all premixed and kept in jugs. This tells me they don't want to pay experienced bartenders who actually would be capable of making custom drinks. However, the drinks thing is a small issue, made up for with a good wine and tequila list which gives you options outside the list of generally over-sweet cocktails. I'd love to see a made to order Oaxacan old fashioned!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Go ToSkycycleVIPDined on 10/8/2014Gracias Madre has become my go to restaurant for everything from work drinks to special occasions with friends. They are always so helpful when it comes to seating us quickly, finding us a good table, and making recommendations. I will continue to return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LolaVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great patio, beautiful... But the food was not to our taste... Too spicy, too sweet... But the tequila was good :)
- Food Mostly Very GoodUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 10/6/2014Enjoyed the tacos very much but a side of kale and pumpkin seeds needed more flavor as very bitter. The red wine was delicious.Special Features:
- A Bit disappointedJimDVIPDined on 10/5/2014I had hoped that this would be a GREAT vegetarian place after reading many positve reviews.Unfortunately I was disappointed in the food. Believe me, the place looks great Inside & out on the Patio, but not sure who designed the seating but they should never be allowed to do so again.Actually not sure what is going on these days with seats in many new restaurants but they DON'T feel good.HINT:If I feel as if I'm being tortured, I'm not going to enjoy my food. Now for the food.The gucamole was blah & extremely small. Come on folks it's California at least use 1 large avocado?The rest of the meal was more me trying/hoping to enjoy it, but it was just ok. And I'm sure others will say it's a texture thing, but the tortillas were tough and chewy.
- great !LADiner77Dined on 10/5/2014Second time there. I will return- great food excellent service in a beautiful setting. Opulence.Special Features:
- Early Closedavid515VIPDined on 10/4/2014Didnt realize when I made a 10:00PM reservation that they closed at 11 on Saturdays. They had us in and out before close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itmishyDined on 10/2/2014The servers were busy, but they made up for it by being as attentive as possible. Will be back over and over, pricey but worth it for special occasions would be nice to get some churros, and maybe just a little more variety in dishes.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere & drinks; food mehboyonfilmVIPDined on 10/1/2014Food didn't come as ordered. Menu is unexciting, food unsatisfying. It's a gorgeous environment. Come for yummy drinks & guacamole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First timeveganDined on 10/1/2014First time we have been to Gracias Madre. The food is excellent the restaurant is beautiful ,and I am so happy to see a vegan restaurant of this size this full on a wednesday night ! We were planning our next visit halfway through dinner If I had any complaint it was that the menu was a bit had to read in the lighting . But I say go to Gracias Madre now ! What are you waiting forSpecial Features: