Grace - Portland
15 Chestnut Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grace - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantgrace.com/
- Phone: (207) 828-4422
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Sueltenfuss
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check our events page!
A word from Grace - Portland
Grace Restaurant offers a first rate menu in an atmosphere of artistic mastery. In 2009 the historic Chestnut Street Church, in downtown Portland, was restored to its original beauty while creating a modern interior that both complemented the sculptural details of the church and reflected the innovative cuisine of chef, Peter Sueltenfuss.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Grace - Portland - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Grace - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)special occasion (100)romantic (82)neighborhood gem (58)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (39)notable wine list (31)hot spot (28)late-night find (9)scenic view (8)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- on time plus!4foodiesgoing2concertDined on 11/19/2014Chosen for it's proximity to Merrill, the atmosphere and art are so lovely....the food was fabulous...every order was cooked to absolute yumminess! Server was busy but attentive and we so enjoyed not only the taste, but the exquisite plating of all....also enjoyed a particularly good old vine zin...and got to our concert on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Everything--from the pumpkin ravioli to the flourless chocolate cake--was very delicious! There was so much on the menu that I wanted to try--I would go back in a heartbeat! Expensive but not outrageous given the quality of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/11/2014I really had a great experience at this restaurant. My boyfriend and I were going for a grandiose night out in Portland, and we definitely chose well. Our server was charming, our seat in the restaurant offered us a beautiful view of the entire venue, and the food was exceptional. The price was far above what we would normally have paid, but it was well-deserved. The cocktail list was especially inviting. I have to say, the food itself was good, but the setting was really what sold us on the experience. The church was transcendent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing.oxfordcommaDined on 11/7/2014Just a spectacular experience. The cocktails were delicious (and strong). The food was amazing, particularly the perfect foie gras with a tart quince jam, and a rich and satisfying Frogmore stew. And of course the setting was one-of-a-kind. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Dinner for two at the GraceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2014Our first time here, we entered this reclaimed Gothic looking spacious church and were seated in the balcony. We felt alone there at 5pm, we were having an eary dinner bfore the play. It began to fill up by 6. The vegetarian entres were at the top of the menu and my wife and I both had the ricotta cavitelli which was excellent. The salad was very good and the anadama bead was warm and served before the main course. Our waitress was wonderful and knew just when to bring things. The dessert and coffee were also quite good. Overall we were very impressed with the food and service and would plan to return. The only down side was finding a suitable parking spot as this is a downtown location with no parking on site.Special Features:
- Something Different in PortlandJeanandrichDined on 11/1/2014Grace is a difficult place to review - our experience was mixed. The atmosphere & service were very good, the food was not as good as what is available in other fine dining restaurants in Portland. The openness makes it noisy, so I would say it's better to go with four people than just going as a couple. Our service was very good. Our meals were slow in coming out, which wasn't bothering us that much, and the next thing we knew the server brought an on-the-house cheese plate with apologies for our wait. That doesn't happen often and we really appreciated it. The four of us each had lamb, chicken, cod, monkfish - all fine but not outstanding. So I would say give it a try but know it's not the absolute best food you can get in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food - Great SettingHungryLynxDined on 10/29/2014Walking into Grace is a treat in itself. Created in an old church, the designers kept as much as possible of the old interior and used it to inspire new design. It is an "Oh, wow!" space. The food quality matches the quality of the space, and that is high praise. On our recent visit, the restaurant was very quiet, but we have been there many times when there was an active bar scene and lively noise level from many filled tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed and disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Way too expensive for the food served. The atmosphere is a weird mix of young couples on their phones and loud groups. It doesn't seem like they can properly man the restaurant when the have a group in their function room. The servers are quiet snobby and it was real let down after having looked forward to a quiet night out with good food. Whatever you do, don't waste your money on desserts or an appetizer as they are downright laughable. I'd suggest avoiding the place altogether.
- Special placesefbklynDined on 10/24/2014Special restaurant in an old church. Spacious, gorgeous room, great food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnBoyDined on 10/23/2014Food and drinks were great. When we arrived the room was quite chilly, i.e. the temperature was low and we were cold. But we mentioned it to the waiter and he fixed it. The service left something to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentNancyDined on 10/22/2014I attend an annual conference in Portland and make a point to go to Grace each year. Consistently excellent food, service, wine and cocktails. Beautiful restaurant.Special Features:
- spectacular renovationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014I had seen pictures of Grace Restaurant on my Facebook Newsfeed, and I knew I had to go there. My daughter and I took a 3 day trip to Portland, and this was of course my first reservation to plan my trip around. The former Methodist church, turned fine dining restaurant, is gorgeous. The view from the balcony level, down to the bar lounge area, and the open kitchen is amazing. The stained glass windows, are just beautiful. The food combinations were brilliant. The entire menu is unique and creative. We loved everything we got, appetizers, both meals, dessert, and specialty drinks. The waitress was very kind and explained everything, as we did not recognize a lot of the items on the menu. It was a great experience. 5 stars!Special Features:
- Great Food, but a bit slowMaineBigDaddyVIPDined on 10/21/2014Grace does the food right, no complaints on the quality nor the selection. Our server started strong, but I think she was overwhelmed and the kitchen got in the weeds with a couple of big parties that were seated around the same time. This should have been prepared for. We waited over an hour from ordering our entrees to receiving them. Not acceptable when the place was only 1/4 full. I understand fielding big orders at the same time, but these were not walk ins, as the tables were pre-set.Special Features:
- ExcellentBobkatDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I had an excellent dining experience at Grace where we went to celebrate our 21st wedding Anniversary. Great food, excellent service. We would not hesitate to go back for another occasion or to just sit at the bar for cocktails. Loved the unique reinvented atmosphere in this beautiful old church.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014I took my parents here for dinner for their 51st anniversary. The service was very good, the food was fabulous. We all had a every enjoyable experience I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice jobJerryDined on 10/15/2014Excellent wine, staff, food, ambiance loved it! But $$$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in a ChurchCTFrequentDinersDined on 10/11/2014It was a little odd eating in a church, but besides that, it was a very good dinner with excellent service. Not much to absorb sound, so it gets a little noisy if there's a crowd. Sitting upstairs gives a nice view of the bar and kitchen below, and the architecture is visually interesting, but it can get hot upstairs. All in all, definitely one of the best in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantlisamlDined on 10/11/2014Absolutely beautiful space, we loved the open kitchen. It was pretty noisy on the main floor, but in the balcony (where we requested to be seated) it was much better. The food was unusual and spectacular! And our waiter was sweet and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food/poor ambianceDaveDined on 10/11/2014Great concept but poorly executed.....a restaurant inside an old church has a lot of potential but in this case they blew it. It was stifling hot to the point where my wife and I each had to step outside to cool off. They have a magnficant bar in the center but then must have run out of money decorating the place. It seemed like a big open cavern. The entrance, where first impressions are so important, made me feel like I was walking into a run down old church. Invest some more money in HVAC and decor and you might have a winner since the food was decent.
- First time was much betterKimbaVIPDined on 10/11/2014Perhaps because our server was new and it was a long holiday weekend our experience wasn't as great as the first time. However, the pumpkin soup was thin and vinegary and the sweetbreads and pasta only so so. In addition, our server never brought bread. However, the drinks and the spectacular setting in a church make for a cool place to have dinner. One piece of advice asked to be seated upstairs if possible better views and and it can get very hot near the altar (the open kitchen).Special Features:
- It was OKchatterbugDined on 10/11/2014The restaurant was OK and the food was just OK. It wasn't fantastic nor wasn't the best meal I ever had. I found that the hanger steak I had was cooked perfectly, but my food was way too salty overall. I was a little disappointed when I ordered a drink called 'Pride', named after the seven deathly sins, but it turned out to be nothing more than a glorified Cosmo. I'd think twice about coming here again, as there are a lot more places in Portland that I would rather have dinner at. The service was just OK as well, nothing especial to note.Special Features:
- I am a fan!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/10/2014I had not had great dining experiences at Grace prior to this meal, but something has changed...for the better! We had a group of 6, everyone had something different, and it was all SO delicious! Anything with a sauce was particularly awesome, so my praises to the sauce chef. I had the Giannone Farms Chicken. THE DISH WAS PREPARED PERFECTLY and the sauce was INCREDIBLE! The special that night was braised pulled pork belly which again was SO DELICIOUS. Thanks Grace, for restoring my faith in your restaurant. You truly have a gem in terms of the venue, and now the food sparkles as well! We live very close by and will enjoy being able to walk over for some incredible meals this fall and winter! CHEERS! I am now a fan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful and Tasty at a PriceDurgeDined on 10/10/2014The biggest draw here for me, with my second visit to Grace, is the atmosphere. This gorgeous former church has been tastefully converted into a trendy, grand dining venue complete with two cool bars (one on the main floor and one on the second floor/loft). With the beautiful stain glass throughout the restaurant and cathedral ceiling, romantic lighting and pleasant music, this place really satisfies you, just to sit and drink it in. The food and drink are almost incidental, but fortunately the menu is both creative and tasty. Service from my experience has also been very solid and friendly. My only criticism might be that it's perhaps a tad pretencious, particularly in it's pricing. I'm not sure the food alone warrants the price tag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Near Perfect DinnerrjmckDined on 10/10/2014Dinner last Saturday. Great atmosphere is a 19th century Gothic church. Glass wine seemed small - 4 oz(?) for $10. However, we had a delicious bottle of wine at a resonable price. Apps and entrees superb. Dessert a bit too sweet. Very good service. Only issue was server cleared plates too fast. For one course while I was lifting the last bite to my mouth. Still, I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grace is GreatLawrenceDined on 10/10/2014Excellent! All round excellent food, wine, service, ambience. Great experience for visitors and locals alike.Special Features:
- Awesome FoodTheFalcoDined on 10/9/2014We were seated upstairs with an amazing view of the entire restaurant and kitchen. Unfortunately seated near us was a large group with crying babies. We went downstairs to the bar to escape the screaming brats. The Hostess apologized immediately for the inconvenience which was nice. The cocktails were spot on. I had the fried chicken which was absolutely amazing and my lady got the Arctic Char which was good but not as good as the chicken. The portions are not going to stuff you, but they aren't tiny either. Based on the food and the service of the staff I would recommend this to anyone who loves food and isn't concerned by smaller portion sizes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- can never go wrongfrequentdinerDined on 10/8/2014We've been to Grace several times and this lady visit was just as spectacular as our previous ones. The food is gorgeous and consistently well made. Their raw oyster selection is just what we love! Again, there's no ability to go wrong by choosing Grace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CreativeHhnernieDined on 10/7/2014In a renovated Methodist Church, chef is making his own menu miracles.Special Features:
- Grace, a gem in a churchQuickNicDined on 10/4/2014Being in Portland, MA, Chase has been recommended. And... it was a very good recommendation. Located in a former church it has created a modern and vibrant ambiance. Quite an experience. Have a drink at the bar, in the middle of the church, before dining and enjoy the ambiance. The food was nice. The wine list very nice. Service was impaccableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerBridgeDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I got dressed up and celebrated being half way thru our first pregnancy at Grace. I was worried being so dressed up would make us out of place, but it didn't at all. We got a great table upstairs overlooking the kitchen and bar without any one beside us, so it was very intimate yet open. Our waiter was great the food was amazing. The portions weren't too small and everything was delicious. Definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Starry1428Dined on 10/4/2014The bread and butter-yum! Food is good, the drinks are amazing. Our server was an older gentleman and he was wonderful and on point. One of our favorite restaurants in Portland.Special Features:
- OverpriceddnrnoteaterDined on 10/4/2014Food was marginal at best despite fancy presentation and sophisticated ingredients. Portions were laughably small. Food came out quickly. Atmosphere was impressive but once you get over the grandeur of setting, you find the ambiance is cold and impersonal.
- Service SO detracted from foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014We were seated when we arrived, looking at our menus, when the host approached an told us we had been sent to the wrong table (for 4). Brought down and told we could wait at the bar if we wanted! Not even a "let us by you a drink for the wait and embarrassment! Service at the table was efficient but perfunctory. It all left a bad tast and we would never go back.
- Always enjoy GraceJudiVIPDined on 10/3/2014I always enjoy my meal at Grace. We met friends for dinner and had lots to catch up on. The wait staff was very sensitive to our situation. We were not interrupted as we shared a gift and updates about our families. We were given our drinks in a timely manner and allowed extra time to decide upon dinner choices. I ordered the green salad and the vegetarian entree. My husband ordered arctic char. Both meals were delicious and satisfying. The portions are appropriately sized. We shared "Bete Noir" for dessert. Dessert was a bit decadent with rich dark chocolate served with small bits of angel food cake. I would not recommend cappuccino. Vegetarians, vegans, carnivores and pescatarians will all find interesting menu choices.Special Features:
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014we've been here about 20 times over the past year and a half. we've never had anything but an outstanding experience. Exec Chef Adam Flood has his dishes done perfect every time. the place is our favorite and truly and outstanding dinning experience.Special Features:
- resturantjunkieresturantjunkieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding .... First time there ...really fun setting (Old Methodist Church) ... service was great .. server asked if we were attending the performance at Merrill .. and worked to that schedule ... Tuna Shashimi was sensational .. will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Dinner for 2NewYorkerDined on 9/25/2014Excellent service and food. Great wait staff and delicious cocktails as wellSpecial Features:
- Amazing Gracefood4thoughtDined on 9/25/2014The ambiance was perfect to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We didn't renew our vows, but this would have been a perfect place to do so. Loved sitting above the kitchen and watching all the prep and activity at the bar. The attention to detail was amazing...from the anniversary card on our table, to the shape of the plates that carried through the design element, levels of flavors in menu offerings and presentation...topped off with a Happy Anniversary written across our dessert plate. Service was exceptional and we felt very special. Say Grace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Food, staff, and overall experience was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must see location!HappyDinerDined on 9/12/2014The church setting is truly gorgeous and unique. Our meal was delicious, albeit smaller portions. We left satisfied, but snacking was required later ;) While the setting was wonderful, I was surprised how empty it was for a Friday night at 7:30. Definitely worth the visit, but I don't think it's something I'd need to go to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.