Grace - Portland
15 Chestnut Street
Portland, ME 04101Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grace - Portland
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.restaurantgrace.com/
- Phone: 2078284422
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Sueltenfuss
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check our events page!
A word from Grace - Portland
Grace Restaurant offers a first rate menu in an atmosphere of artistic mastery. In 2009 the historic Chestnut Street Church, in downtown Portland, was restored to its original beauty while creating a modern interior that both complemented the sculptural details of the church and reflected the innovative cuisine of chef, Peter Sueltenfuss.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Grace - Portland - Best Restaurants in Portland ›
Grace - Portland reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (94)fit for foodies (93)romantic (77)neighborhood gem (50)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (36)notable wine list (29)hot spot (19)late-night find (10)scenic view (10)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/27/2014we've been here about 20 times over the past year and a half. we've never had anything but an outstanding experience. Exec Chef Adam Flood has his dishes done perfect every time. the place is our favorite and truly and outstanding dinning experience.Special Features:
- resturantjunkieresturantjunkieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Outstanding .... First time there ...really fun setting (Old Methodist Church) ... service was great .. server asked if we were attending the performance at Merrill .. and worked to that schedule ... Tuna Shashimi was sensational .. will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Dinner for 2NewYorkerDined on 9/25/2014Excellent service and food. Great wait staff and delicious cocktails as wellSpecial Features:
- Amazing Gracefood4thoughtDined on 9/25/2014The ambiance was perfect to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We didn't renew our vows, but this would have been a perfect place to do so. Loved sitting above the kitchen and watching all the prep and activity at the bar. The attention to detail was amazing...from the anniversary card on our table, to the shape of the plates that carried through the design element, levels of flavors in menu offerings and presentation...topped off with a Happy Anniversary written across our dessert plate. Service was exceptional and we felt very special. Say Grace!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/19/2014Food, staff, and overall experience was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must see location!HappyDinerDined on 9/12/2014The church setting is truly gorgeous and unique. Our meal was delicious, albeit smaller portions. We left satisfied, but snacking was required later ;) While the setting was wonderful, I was surprised how empty it was for a Friday night at 7:30. Definitely worth the visit, but I don't think it's something I'd need to go to again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in GraceFinerBites4UDined on 9/12/2014The food, from appetizer to dessert, was utterly hum drum. Seasonings were overdone ... salad too tart, fish too salty, ice cream too sweet. It's a shame b/c it's a beautiful space.Special Features:
- Hidden GemRalvinDined on 9/6/2014Lived here my whole life and heard of Grace, but never got around to checking it out. I make it a point to try as many local restaurants as possible and find the best and Grace is by far... my favorite place I have ever been. The 20 ounce ribeye was the best ive ever had. I must return here, its calling me.Special Features:
- WallviewDined on 9/6/2014I had asked for a table with a good view.....instead.......I FACED A WALL DURING MY ENTIRE MEAL!!!!Special Features:
- Outstanding placeGreateatsDined on 9/6/2014Very unique place, great for a special occasion. Service and food were outstanding. Would definitely recommend you try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointingTineneDined on 9/6/2014This was our second time at Grace. The food was better last year. While our waiter was fantastic, the other wait staff seemed unnecessarily rushed and chaotic. The place was at about 60% full capacity, yet these poor waitresses kept rushing back and forth, up and down. Their energy seemed overly stressed as opposed to vibrant. This unfortunately impacted our experience. Perhaps, their staffing ratio was suboptimal?Special Features:
- Ambitious and mostly successfulSluggosixtyfiveVIPDined on 9/5/2014I'd rather a place be ambitious and fall a tad short than not be ambitious excellently. The food here was an ambitious fusion that was very good, but somehow just missed being excellent - frogmore stew had lots of nice fresh shellfish, potatoes, onion but was muddy-looking and over salted, and the Asian sausage apps tastes didn't quite meld right. Great bread, well-done cocktails and a gorgeous unique space, and friendly hilarious server make this place memorable and worth a trip, anyway. The addition of a freakin HAND WRITTEN bitprthday card and multiple "happy birthday, Tom!" Greetings (based on an opentable note "we're celebrating Toms birthday") just blew us away.Special Features:
- Simply stunningFreshDined on 9/5/2014This restaurant is in a beautiful old church. The food is first class! The cocktails are fabulous! If you are in Portland GO!!!! My husband and I ate at some of the other "hot" restaurants and we were disappointed, but not at Grace.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experienceMjdennyDined on 9/5/2014Great food & service. Would love to come back! Good job done by all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappoiintedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/5/2014My wife had the duck and was very pleased. I had the lamb and was extremely disappointed. It was way too salty. The tomato appetizer was excellent. Based on the entree experience, I would not go back.
- Old Slow RunnerFoodieloverDined on 9/4/2014Had dinner with my stepdaughter. Food was outstanding. They had good bourbon. But best of all was our server, Kate.Special Features:
- Architecturally elegantjustmy2centsDined on 8/30/2014Grace is a gem for the downtown Portland restaurant scene. The architectural allure is what wooed me to the hotspot but the friendly and attentive waitstaff and scrumptious meal rounded out the experience. The food was delicious and the service timely and efficient. The prices were in line with the quality of the meal. Next time, I would like to try out the bar either upstairs or downstairs but for my first experience seating upstairs and being able to view the architecture from a top was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The place is lovely. Service wasok. Unfortunately, we were seated next to a large group of loud men. Too bad. On the food front, my salad was dreadfully overpriced-- greens, a few beet bites , and no goat cheese to be seen. We were told it was in the cruton! Come on. The artic char was well cooked, but the dish was totally taken over by the grilled bits of sausage/pork/whatever it was, so the fish flavor was masked. And for that, the price was too high. Sorry to say, but it doesn't live up to other high end places in Portland. I''m a gourmet cook, and I know what things cost. If it's going to be expensive, it must be worth the extra money. Another person who got the skate stuffed with beef said there was very little beef.
- One of the best meals of my lifegnovikofDined on 8/22/2014I went here with my closest friend the other night, and we had the most incredible meal. The ambience was fantastic - dim lights and very intimate. The church has been converted flawlessly into a restaurant fit for fine dining. Our ribeyes were perfect - easily the best cut of meat I have ever eaten in my life. The staff is knowledgeable and very friendly. My only criticism is that we had to wait for our table, even with a reservation, but we sat at the bar and still had an incredible evening. A+ night!Special Features:
- saltywalterDined on 8/21/2014After eating here for the 2nd time a year apart and finding the food good but way overly salted the 4 of us are going to refrain from dinner here and stick to dessert and drink. This way we can enjoy our favorite place and leave with a pleasant taste in our mouths.Special Features:
- Grace does it againAnneDVIPDined on 8/21/2014We brought two friends with us on our latest trip to Grace....both are foodies and one is a chef with a burgeoning catering business....so no slouches there. Of course they loved the ambience. And they thought the food was spectacular. Such a joy that Grace is here in Portland.Special Features:
- Wonderful nightsnobDined on 8/20/2014The food was excellent and the open feel was amazing. Sitting upstairs was romantic and quiet. Downstairs seemed more hip and loud. Worth the short walk from old port.Special Features:
- UniqueroseisaroseDined on 8/20/2014First of all a restaurant in a former church seemed hard to imagine but the good was very good. Our waiter was very nice, knowledgeable and attentive of the dietary restrictions two people in our group had. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Our Granddaughter's FavoriteGrazerVIPDined on 8/16/2014We chose to eat at Grace because we were entertaining our Granddaughter for the weekend. Grace is her favorite. We shared the tomato salad then my husband and my granddaughter had the hanger steak. I had the fish/seafood stew. Everything was delicious however my stew portion was very small for the price. We all had dessert and we all enjoyed it. My granddaughter wanted lemonade which they didn't have. The wine by the glass list is limited. the wine was good but not much choice. We will return especially for my Granddaughter's birthday in December.Special Features:
- Lovely Spot, Slow ServicembhdinerVIPDined on 8/16/2014Beautifully converted church, but disappointing as to food and service. Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder turned out to be a variation on pulled pork, a surprise at $32.95. Worse than that, there was an interminable wait for the kitchen to deliver it to our table. The long delay made us late for a concert, so we had to skip dessert. Overall, we were disappointed, as we had heard very good things about Grace.
- Must go!CivilmanDined on 8/15/2014We found this place based on Google reviews and it was awesome! Food is really high quality, great selection of beer, wine and cocktails. Service is really impressive! Will definitely go there again! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- first time visitIng...DaisyVIPDined on 8/15/2014I booked Grace bc I was curious to see how they turned an old church into a restaurant space - I like what they've done, tho I'd do a couple things differently. The hostess was very helpful, we needed to sit on the ground floor for accessibility reasons and they were very accomodating. The service was good tho not sparkling, it was a Friday night so they were quite busy. We'd told them it was a birthday, amd they very nicely had written a birthday card which was a good touch. The food was excellent, interesting without being fussy or too precious, and overall we really liked Grace. We will definitely come back again!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014The portions were small.. We all left hungry. My husband had a clam appetizer, and it had 5 whole clams.. Really? And 2 of us had the hangar steak.. which consisted of 4 small strips of steak. Disappointed.
- A hidden gem in PortlandKManVIPDined on 8/13/2014Grace isn't in the typical dining areas of Portland (i.e., waterfront or Fore Street) but great food. You get a nice view of the open kitchen if you sit on the balcony.Special Features:
- Old Portland Charmer!clevertulipDined on 8/12/2014A little background on us, My Mom is a chef who studied abroad in Florence and I have been in the hospitality business for over 15 years. We are industry people from an industry town (Chicago). This is a terrific place for a memorable meal. The food was fantastic, the service knowledgeable and friendly, the wine list well done and reasonably priced, the atmosphere vibrant with out being intrusive. I will be returning with my husband for a romantic night out minus the kids. You should too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceMrsTDined on 8/9/2014Interesting menu, excellent presentation, outstanding preparation, perfectly timed service--what more can you ask for? Oh, I know--adequate spacing between tables and Grace has that too. We will be back!Special Features:
- Fantastic!DortizDined on 8/8/2014Grace never ceases to deliver a great meal and service. They are one of the best of Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Religious experienceShowmanDined on 8/7/2014Interesting atmosphere to eat a superb dinner . Attentive staff who adds to this wonderful food sampling. The menu is very creative mixed with the gothic look of the building adds a peaceful serenity to the dining experience . Would recommend this to anyone who want a gastronomic experience . The pricing is very fare for a restaurant.Portland has many fine restaurant and this well deserves to be considered to be oneSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!Pattye111VIPDined on 8/7/2014Had an absolutely wonderful dinner! We had the rib-eye steak, pork chop and duck. They were all delicious! Our waiter, Burt, was the best. He gave us recommendations and really made the evening fun! Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Beautiful but a little offRedfranVIPDined on 8/5/2014Grace is a beautiful restaurant located in an old church. The atmosphere is fantastic. We dined at Grace during our recent trip to Portland. I had specifically requested a balcony table. We arrived to find that Grace was hosting a large party and our request couldn't be fulfilled. We were told that we had been called the previous day…hmm! My husband ordered hanger steak and rated it 2 out of 3. I ordered char. When the char arrived it looked more like halibut but I thought OK. A server appeared and said she had served the wrong entre. The replacement char was beautifully prepared and quite good. We did feel that pacing was off and that the courses were flying to the table. Perhaps it was an off night due to the large group.
- GraceThales23Dined on 8/1/2014One of Portland's best. Beautiful and unique surroundings with welcoming staff. The chef creates unusual and delicious food choices ranging from the appetizers to the desserts. We are happy repeat patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas mealOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/1/2014Our visit to Grace did not disappoint. We opted for seven items from the Pre-entree categories. Melon gazpacho was crystal clear in flavor. The clams dish had a seafood broth of great profundity. Foie Gras was as expected, but the accompaniments bore insufficient citric acid to make a dent against the essential fatty nature of the protein. The duck sausage, while flavorful, was disappointingly dry. The bone marrow was classic, and the sweetbreads were a revelation, with the honey mustard making the dish bouyant. The goat cheese ravioli had too much "sweet" in the sauce, overtaking the tangy notes of the cheese.Special Features:
- Salt-A-Plenty At A PricePORT2NYDined on 7/26/2014Grace has a dynamic interior and design. I think they need to dust the air vents up over the kitchen area however. Too bad they placed such a conglomeration like that in that space. They also could use some different lighting with color and appeal to maybe disguise the dusty ventilation. The food is alright, moderate in taste and appeal but really, really high on price and salt-a-plenty! I think we would choose (and recommend) this place for drinks and conversation rather than diner. Service was excellent and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat and worship at the same time!Momoffour4Dined on 7/26/2014Step inside this converted church for a holy dining experience. Lively atmosphere. Staff was warm and accommodating. Menu offers offers something for everyone, even vegans! They were happy to have my three year old too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grace is Divine!vbvbVIPDined on 7/25/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Grace - made better because of the attention to detail by our server Garrett. When we commented that the menu on line looked different he explained that the selections were updated daily, but the kitchen could likely accommodate us. He offered the bar menu to expand our choices (just what the hubby wanted). This was a refreshing change after the hostess chastised us for being 15 minutes late for our reservation (1st time and we had a hard time parking) ... Even though there were at least ten open tables. Hubby had bar shrimp (warm and a LOT of work to peel) and the hangar steak - both were perfect. I had beet salad and gnocchi (that more closely resembled polenta cakes) yum! Chocolate dessert was great too!Special Features: