810 4th ave
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://gourmet-india.us/
- Phone: 6197027067
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 02:00am, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm -03.00 am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering is available for all occasions. We will turn your party into a Maharaja style event. Besides food, we offer music to along with the your event, Provide bindis, indian bangles, saris & much more to make it more exciting. we provide personal satisfying service for you! Call us for details.
- Private Party Contact: gubi khinda 619 702 7967
- Entertainment: We play music from around the world, which makes the dining experience that much better. Enjoy Classic Bollywood films on projector screen in the background, movies are shown without sound & english subtitles.
- Special Events: THURSDAYS BOLLYWOOD MOVIE NIGHT Come Join Us As We Enter The World of Bollywood! Enjoy hit movies & Fine Indian Cuisine. Thursday Night We Bring You The Best of Bollywood Cinema at 7pm. Movies are shown with Sound & English Subtitles.
A word from Gourmet India
Gourmet India with its unique blend of spices and diverse styles of cooking of different Indian states has always served the best gourmet indian food and is now one of the most sought after food across San Diego Downtown. Experience a world of tastes, exotic, and diverse, yet unique to the original flavor!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gourmet India reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great Food, Not So Great ServicedatenightDined on 10/19/2013The food was excellent. I ordered the Chicken Tikka and my husband ordered the Lamb. The Naan bread came out piping hot and delicious. My only complaint about this place was the service. Our waitress came and took our drink order after a bit of a long wait. After that I had to ask her to come take our dinner order and then ask whomever was passing by for whatever else we needed since she never once came back to check on us. It wasn't even that large of a place so I'm not sure why she couldn't help us.Special Features:
- No Servers no ServiceDissapointedVIPDined on 10/12/2013We sat for 15 minutes and then left, no one came to greet us or take our drink order.
- All but the soupPullmanCriticDined on 10/11/2013Great korma and madras curries but karma soup without good karma. Watch your favorite Bollywood movie or sit outside in the gaslp district if you do not mind the pedestrian trafficSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice staff, and good foodScottEVIPDined on 7/20/2013We went to Gourmet India before a show at Spreckles, and found the food and service to be great. It was during ComicCon, so they were busy, but we still got a nice table for 3 near the window (so we could watch the spectacle walking by). The food was good (not outstanding, and not lousy...good), and the staff was really nice. Beware, the mango martinis are STRONG!Special Features:
- Fabulous Indian cuisineGregCDined on 3/30/2013We had lunch at Gourmet India, in the Gaslamp district in downtown San Diego. From start to finish, the food was completely amazing. For our appetizer, the raita and naan was perfect. My daughter had chicken tikka masala (her first) and she's declared it is her new favorite dish. Almost everywhere I go I order the lamb masala and Gourmet India delivered an entrée that ties with the best I've ever had (others are Bengal Spice in Wivenhoe, UK and India Cook House in Irvine, CA). My only two complaints are that when we dined on the sidewalk outside and the seating was a little cramped (to be expected I guess) and that the dingy parking garage next door warrants some furious hand-washing after traversing its stairwells.Special Features:
- Food was only so-so. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/14/2013Food was only so-so. Service was def not the greatest but staff was friendly and polite. and the experience was fun eatting at a table on the floor with cushions might have made it worth it for a visit.
- Came here with my wife forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013Came here with my wife for a date and was very impressed by the food. I had the chicken with curry, which was good, and we both thought the samosas were excellent. Will definitely come back!
- This is my favorite IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2012This is my favorite Indian food place in San Diego. The food is consistantly tasty and the service is always great. They almost always have a small gift for you also it seems from a CD containing cultural music to those little indian stickers you put on your head.Special Features:
- We had a great time food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2012We had a great time food was a big surprise but very delicious. Service was great, servers where on top of everything. Food was server hot just the way we like it. I would diffenetly suggest to other people.Special Features:
- When I called to let the restaurantLaurieVIPDined on 10/28/2012When I called to let the restaurant know that we might be 10 -15 minutes late for our reservation they kept me waiting for a long time and then didnt seem to have our reservation down. The same confusion occurred when we arried, thought here were only 3 or 4 tables occupied in the entire restaurant. Then, while we waited for water, then waited for drinks we were dismayed to see a young man loudly criticize a female manager within our earshot. Food when it finally came was very ordinary...naan was burnt, everything else just ok. The restaurant has the potential to be a lot of fun...Bollywood movies and music playing, a couple of low tables with cushions. But it wasn't a wow.Special Features:
- The staff was very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2012The staff was very attentive and friendly. The chef even made me a lamb tikka korma (my usual at the takeaway place near my home in England), despite the fact that it wasn't on their menu. The lamb was a little tough, but the flavour was excellent--both in terms of the tikka spices and the korma sauce. Traditional Indian floor seating is available in addition to standard tables. Bollywood films play on the back wall for your enjoyment. That's a common thing in England, but I haven't seen it much in the US. There was music in the background (not from the film, though), but it wasn't distracting. You could certainly have a conversation without shouting. I will definitely go back. Oh, and the Nirvana Sangria was lovely.
- It was neat to be able toGregVIPDined on 9/24/2012It was neat to be able to experience authentic Indian seating while dining. Lot of vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options on the the menu. Waiter was excellent in confirming food allergies and needs. Quaint and not high end, but very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Try it! you will love it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012I love Indian food and this was very GOOD! It was very quiet and I am surprised because the service and unique/traditional decor make it a great night out.Special Features:
- Skip. This. Place.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2012My wife and I went in for a late lunch and got the buffet. Let me just say that the food lacked flavor to the point that we didn't finish our meal. We consumed our beers and left. Not sure what other people see in this place, buti'vehad Indian food in India, Europe, and throughout the U.S. I've never had any this horrible. Do yourself a favor and skip this place.
- We eat Indian food all overOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012We eat Indian food all over the world. This has been the worst so far.. The onion Bahji was to salt, the Vindaloo to mild and the Murgh Tika was either old chicken or not cooked in a Tandoor. Not recommendable for true lovers of Indian spices. Afther mentioning our experience to one of the staff members the one giving us the bill said he was not informed about our complaint so could not help it.... Maybe the recognized us as tourists not realizing feedback via internet
- Nice place, can be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/14/2012Nice place, can be seated on the floor with traditional pillows and table or dine on regular tables and chairs. Good service, food was decent but not as flavorful as we were hoping. Overall I don't think it was worth the price and probably won't go again.
- a wonderful find !OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/4/2012The Food Was Delicious ! I really liked everything about the resaturant. I will definately return.Special Features:
- Great night out my wife andIrishx2Dined on 7/3/2012Great night out my wife and I had, we were in town for vacation for one week, our great friends baby sat for us and my wife and I went out on a date night in the gas lamp district like we did many years ago, so I looked up opentable and found this fantastic indian restaurant , food was amazing , wine was half price, so we had two lol, Tuesday night ! Overall great night out, plus we got 1000 points on opentable for this visit, thanks guys.Special Features:
- We celebrated my birthdayTLCSoCalVIPDined on 6/25/2012We celebrated my birthday at Gourmet India and had a wonderful experience! We sat at a low table with the low sofas. We enjoyed a combo dinner which was delicious - and portions were definitely generous. Service was good. They only serve beer and wine - but was great for us. As a bonus, they gave us a music CD. We went on a Monday and it was not crowded. We hate crowds, so we'll likely return on an early weekday.Special Features:
- The service was friendly andOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/14/2012The service was friendly and attentive. Unfortunately, the food did not measure up--I am guessing there are better places to get Indian food in San Diego.
- Wow this place was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/19/2012Wow this place was great! The food was delicious and tasty. You have the option to sit on the floor cushions or at a table..Its very authentic and the best Indian Restraunt in Downtown SD! Service was A+!!!Special Features:
- Great food & lasis;great serviceNicoleMGDined on 4/6/2012My husband and I really enjoyed our time at Gourmet India. We felt like we had an authentic Indian dining experience. The biryani, curry, naan and raita were all delicious. We even went all in and ate on the cushions they had. The kicker was the mango lasi. The mango lasis were so good!!! It was our favorite part of our experience because neither of us had had a lasi before. We would recommend it highly. The servers were so nice and everyone was so accommodating. It was in a great location as well. We were able to validate parking in a shopping mall located on the back side of the restaurant. We enjoyed ourselves and our early Anniversary celebration thoroughly. I see why they're on Open Table. Thanks.Special Features:
- I always enjoy eating at GourmetOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/18/2012I always enjoy eating at Gourmet India. The food is way above average Indian fare and the ambiance lots of fun. Vibrant colors and the floor seating is great. Every time I eat here, a member of the staff always gives me a mix CD. I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- Always fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/2/2012As always, a favorite spot in the Gaslamp district. We love this place! Authentic and delicious!Special Features:
- This was a buffet lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/12/2012This was a buffet lunch. My date and I took a bite and looked at each other incredulously. Every bite of the rest of the dishes was taken cautiously. All of them tasted under or too spiced, texture was terrible, and the sauces were too liquid-y. The "Gourmet" name is definitely a misnomer.
- I wasn't really impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2011I wasn't really impressed with this restaurant. I decided to eat here with my boyfriend on a day trip to San Diego, hoping for a relaxed but memorable time. The chickpea soup I ordered was not that great, and the waiter had a little bit of arrogance to him. The décor appeared a little cheap to me, and for some reason it was a hassle to make sure we actually got checked in for our reservation (it was a 1,000 point night). I've been to far better Indian restaurants, and I suggest looking for alternatives before trying this place.
- My fiancée and I have beenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/10/2011My fiancée and I have been dining here repeatedly for months now and the food and service has always been excellent until our last visit. Our most recent dining experience was bland and, compared to our previous visits, was a bit disappointing. While the tastes of the wide selection on their menu has never been compromised, it seems that Gourmet India hasn't quite mastered the handling of a full house resulting in a less desirable service rating. Regardless, the food has always been excellent, the atmosphere inviting, and the value is amazing.Special Features:
- I'm not all that familiarGastonDined on 11/5/2011I'm not all that familiar with Indian cuisine, but I enjoyed what I had. Another more knowledgeable friend thought that his Tandori chicken was not quite up to par. It amazed me how they were able to get rather complex food to the table rapidly when we told them we had theatre tickets. I liked it and would go again.Special Features:
- It is always a big hit forOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2011It is always a big hit for me when the owner (or someone that appears to be the owner) comes around to ask how everything is. It means that they actually care enough to take the time to double check and gives the patrons a chance to even give the server a "shout out" for stellar performance. The food was incredible! It is a much more subtle mix of flavors and was explained to me that it's more of traditional dishes you would eat in an Indian home.Special Features:
- Not bad, but not my favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2011I like that this restaurant allows you to sit at tables on the floor because it feels more fun and authentic, but I noticed that there are only about three tables there that allowed for that. Our service was fair, but not impressive. We had to wait a long time before we could order and before our drinks were refilled - which can seem like an even longer time when you are eating spicy food! We enjoyed the ambiance when we first got there, but that quickly changed. Traditional Indian music was playing when we first sat down, but half way through dinner, dance/club music began playing. It completely killed it for me. There is a time and a place for music like that, and that was not it. Although the food was alright, we probably won't be back.
- pleasantly surprisedJBCinSDDined on 10/15/2011We chose this restaurant because of its proximity to a theatre where we were attending a play. It is is a tourist-y area, so we expected nothing special. But three of us thought Gourmet India has some of the best Indian food we'd had in San Diego.
- I persuaded my husband toOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/20/2011I persuaded my husband to try Gourmet India for a change. When a craving for Indian food hits us, we usually head to Bombay in Hillcrest. I have to say that the service at Gourmet India has room for improvement. Granted, it was quite busy, but the service seemed to be exceedingly slow. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, just not super attentive. That being said, the food was fantastic! I had the Nirvana Chicken and my husband had the Sampler Platter. Both of our meals were outstanding. Despite the slow service, I would return to Gourmet India without hesitation.
- A wonderful surprisefinedinerVIPDined on 7/30/2011Great service and food - what a nice surprise to find this gem!Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/5/2011The food and service were great. It is,however, overpriced for the kind of foods and such small servings. The naans were excellent and definitely very tasty tikka sauce. I would only hesitate a return because it's pricey for Indian cuisine.
- Absolutely LOVE Gourmet India!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/1/2011When we came to SD 1yr, we ate lunch here @ Gourmet India. After countless numbers of take-out and lunches... DINNER tonight was fabulous! We received complimentary plates. We ordered: mango lassi, samosas, garlic, naan, lamb masala, and Makhni Paneer. Absolutely delicious. Service is always great. Located at 5th+F street, park in Horton Plaza. We love Gourmet India, I guess we walked out frequent rewards card members and they gave us a CD of the music playing!Special Features:
- Food was good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/14/2011Food was good and service prompt. We made it to the opera with time to spare!
- The food was new to us, sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/7/2011The food was new to us, since we are trying new delicasies this was a good choice. We liked the setting, although the restaurant is rather small its still a nice place to go to if your in Downtown San Diego at the Gaslamp. The prices where great and I liked how they had a Indian movie showing with English subtitles. I would recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/18/2011We met family who were in town for a conference; they like it so much they dined there two nights in a row! I love the look of the restaurant with vibrant colros and sari's on the walls. Will certainly come back!Special Features:
- We had excellent food in aa2susieqVIPDined on 3/3/2011We had excellent food in a restaurant with great ambience. I found this spot based on an OpenTable recommendation and was not disappointed!!Special Features:
- Walked in at the end of theirOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/8/2011Walked in at the end of their lunch buffet just by accident. Food was excellent. Garlic nan was amazing. Server was sweet and attentive.Special Features: