Gourmet and Company
214 East Mountcastle
Johnson City, TN 37601Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Gourmet and Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.gourmetandcompany.com/
- Phone: (423) 929-9007
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday 11:00am - 3:00pm Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: George Sears
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Patio/Outdoor Dining
- Special Events: We have private rooms available for up to 40 people. Please call for more information.
A word from Gourmet and Company
A Johnson City tradition since 1989, Gourmet and Company offers a dining experience that is unique to the region. Dinner menu selections run the gamut from traditional fine dinning classics to exciting specials including exotic meats and exceedingly fresh seafood. Lunches are casual and perfect for socializing or business. We also have an indoor lounge and outdoor patio bar that are fully stocked with a wide selection of wines, fine spirits, and craft beers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gourmet and Company - Best Restaurants in Johnson City ›
Gourmet and Company reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (14)neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (12)notable wine list (9)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (7)good for groups (5)great for lunch (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- MaPaVIPDined on 10/24/2014A pleasant surprise---all great except dessert was disappointing---espresso torte was too mild and dry---but steak, scallops, and salad were quite tasty. would returnSpecial Features:
- Intriguing MenuGourmetettesVIPDined on 10/4/2014This restaurant's menu made us select Gourmet and Company for our dinner while traveling. My husband was very pleased with his venisen entree, as the venison was very tender and delicious. I was disappointed with the bay scallops on my goat cheese salad entree, as the scallops were very salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- to dine forbinkbink24Dined on 10/3/2014The meal was for my fiancee's birthday. From the outside, I was concerned. Location was in a strip mall. However, entering into the restaurant was a pleasant surprise. The decor was warm and intimate. We were greeted and seated. The server was quite nice and very efficient. We had the stuffed mushrooms, Autumn salad and goat cheese salad and the pork entree and pan roasted chicken. The food was exquisite. The melding of flavors, spices, and textures showed that there was both thought and love put into the dishes. The seats were comfortable. The lighting was as well. The wine and spirits menu was impressive. While it was a pricey encounter, we will revisit Gourmet and Company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet and CompanyPandSDinersDined on 9/20/2014The quality and presentation of the food was excellent. The service and attention was at a lovely and relaxed pace, perfect for this high quality eating experience. Our only negative was that someone was smoking at the outside bar and the smoke was an unpleasant surprise. Sadly it seems that this is permitted though our waitress did offer to re-seat us, which we declined. The evening was not spoiled by this but it was definitely a minor unpleasantness. We would/will return on our next visit to Johnson City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Superb Dining Experience!MikeDined on 9/20/2014Great service (Kenn), superb first plate (crab cakes and beef medallions), and wonderful dinner (flounder)! Dark chocolate lava cake was excellent. I'm never disappointed when I come here to dine! You won't regret coming here to celebrate or just relax with a special someone for a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- houtexDined on 9/16/2014Looking for a place to celebrate our anniversary while on vacation in the Johnson City area. Wife had a redfish special that she enjoyed very much while our server Zach did a good job of confirming that I would enjoy the wild boar tenderloin. Which I did very much. Nice wine list across the price ranges with good by the glass selections. This is a good one!Special Features:
- ExcellentgrbettDined on 9/4/2014Took date for lunch. Prices moderate. Food excellent. Service very good. Will try for dinner nextSpecial Features:
- Highly suggest you goTerryVIPDined on 8/22/2014We looked up on Open Table what was around our hotel and found this amazing place to eat, the waiter Kenn was very attentive and great with his suggestions about what to order, if ever back in Johnson City we would definently go back.Special Features:
- A suggestionDadbirdDined on 8/2/2014I loved the variety and excellent service. The filet was a bit pricey and would probably do a smaller variety for smaller appetites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 103 reviews are from the Gourmet and Company reviews archive.
- fine diningkcal3rDined on 7/24/2014I've been to Gourmet many times particularly recruiting professionals, but also celebrating events. It's consistently good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findSouthernWandererDined on 6/10/2014As a business traveler, I am always on the lookout for unique, local eateries. Gourmet & Co met my quest perfectly. We dined on a stormy Tuesday evening and only the hearty and hungry seemed to have ventured out as the dining room where we were seated was small and was not full. A large group arrived but were quickly forgotten by other diners as the sounds from their table were an issue. Wine, steak, dessert all great.Special Features:
- Gourmet all the waydawntreaderDined on 6/3/2014If you love good food, tastily prepared, beautifully presented, and an excellent wine list, this place is for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Awesome ExperienceMikeDined on 5/30/2014We said we'd be back and we returned. The dining experience and food was a superb as the first time! Stuffed mushrooms were to die for. The goat cheese salad was a repeat favorite for my wife and I had the soup de jour (creamed asparagus with bacon). Again, both were outstanding! For dinner my wife enjoyed the salmon and I had one of the specials, pecan encrusted grouper. WOW - MOUTHWATERING. We finished by sharing a Banana Fosters and enjoyed the French pressed coffee - what a special meal. Kenn was our waitor and did another fantastic job meeting our every need and wish. If you have a special occassion and need to score a perfect score with a splendid meal and top notch experience in Johnson City, THIS is the place to go!Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingcdkingsportDined on 4/26/2014My Fiancé and I love to have an excuse to eat here! This time it was our 6 year anniversary of when we started dating. As always, Gourmet never ceases to amaze us with the excellent hospitality, service, atmosphere, and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!sunshine3821VIPDined on 3/22/201425 years strong, and it is amazing! Stopped here for lunch, and was really impressed! Great job, Ayla!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for date nightwideman01Dined on 3/19/2014Perfect for first dates, anniversaries, or special occassions. Nice intimate setting with a wonderful selection of dining choices. The staff was pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. We drove from Virginia just to dine there. Would not hesitate to visit again when in that part of the country again. Thank you for a GREAT experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal DinnerMikeDined on 3/14/2014My wife and I have had the ability to enjoy wonderful seafood and fish in a variety of places, including Key West, FL, where it often doesn't get any better. However, I must say, this evening, both our meals were prepared to perfection and easily matched and exceeded some of our most memorable dinners. My wife had one of their menu items, the trout and I had their special, sushi grade ahi-tuna. PHENOMENAL! Mouthwatering, and so tasty! The appetizer (medallions and crab cakes) was outstanding and even our salads (spinach with cashews and the goat cheese) were superb. Martinis were amazing...just can't say enough about this place and the service we received from Ken, our waiter. Thank you Gourmet and Company - we'll certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and good serviceJayhawk78Dined on 3/14/2014We were surprised to find this gem in a strip mall. Much of the food is locally sourced and they have a nice variety of menu items. The service was warm and welcoming. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tablecloth Dining all the way!AuntieBertDined on 2/22/2014Visiting from out-of-town, this restaurant was recommended to us. What a gem. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We asked what heirloom spinach was, an ingredient being used, and not only were we informed but given a sample! Not just any place will go that far to inform. Scallops were done perfectly. The trout we highly recommend. Yes, it is a bit pricey but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classy menu, food, and servicecgibby73Dined on 2/21/2014My wife and I have eaten at some higher end restaurants in big cities and all over with talented chefs - Gourmet and Company could compete with any of them. It was actually better in the sense that you could show up in business casual or suit and tie and feel comfortable either way. The asparagus bisque was possibly the most unbelievable soup I've ever tasted. We are huge duck fans and my wife's duck dish was nearly perfect: the crust, the level it was cooked, and the sauce - all perfect. I saw lamb bolognaise as the special and couldn't resist. I wasn't disappointed either because this is the most unique way I've eaten lamb - creative and full of flavor & textures. I could go on and on, but you need to just go try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLoveyDined on 1/21/2014The food was beyond excellent... Everything and I mean EVERYTHING was outstanding! It will be definitely be our #1 choice when back in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Restaurant in Johnson CityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2013The best meal I've had since moving to Johnson City. Clean, fresh food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Fantastic FindMorganDined on 12/27/2013I had the pleasure of eating here while visiting my sister. I am from a city with a huge food scene and I was a bit scared of what the Tri-Cities had to offer. This was an excellent restaurant that I hope to eat at on my next visit. Every dish we had was well prepared and tasty. The wine list was very good and included by the glass choices as well. Our server was really sweet and very knowledgable about everything on the menu. This restaurant would be competitive in any city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice meal in JCKnoxvilleGuyVIPDined on 12/14/2013We visited from out of town with some friends. We got there a bit late on a weekend and they were very accommodating. We had nice cocktails to open, followed by wine (Bell Syrah) with cheese, salads, and mains. The wait staff was attentive and pleasant and we did not feel rushed despite the late hour (9:45 pm). We had a variety of mains, including fish, steak, scallops, and a burger. All the food was nicely prepared and presented. Dessert was a lovely pumpkin crème brulee and a dark chocolate cake. The venue is in a strip mall and may not be obvious, but it is pleasantly set up inside. We would recommend this for visitors to Johnson City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.BrianDined on 12/14/2013The food and service were wonderful as always, but we had the unfortunate coincidence of eating on the ETSU graduation day, so the place was really busy and noisier than normal and maybe stretched the limits of the staff. Consequently, our food was a little cold when it did reach the table (particularly the soup, which was just luke warm) and I'm sure that is a result of just trying to get food to lots of people and it not coming directly for kitchen to table, but still a little disappointing. the only other disappointment was the desert. The Pumpkin Crème Brule was average at best. I would definitely not recommend that. Otherwise everything was great!Special Features:
- A wonderful surpriseHaileyDined on 12/10/2013I took my husband to a surprise dinner for his birthday, and he was thrilled! I booked through open table, and we were seated immediately. I enjoyed a sweet potato and purple potato soup, and it was divine. He enjoyed a walnut and goat cheese salad that i almost wished I'd ordered. The wine was nice, and the server gave us the perfect amount of attention. And the bread pudding was devoured. I have and will continue to recommend this fine establishment while living in Johnson City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceagia2442Dined on 12/3/2013Food and service were great. I've always enjoyed eating at Gourment and Company. It was my husband's first time and he really enjoyed the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointscdkingsportDined on 11/23/2013This is an outstanding restaurant. I have been several times over the past couple years and they never disappoint. This was the first time that I've went with a bigger group (party of 6) and our waiter was very attentive, helpful, and charming. The service and atmosphere are great, but I really go for the food. Everything was exceptional. I enjoy introducing new friends to this gem in the tri-cities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2013Discovered this place a couple of years ago. Simply put, I have never gotten ANYTHING from here that is anything less than outstanding. Every menu item I've tried has been exceptionally good. I've never had a bad experience whilst dining here. Menu is fairly limited and changes seasonally, but what they do, they do very well. Lots of flavor in every dish. Always great service! I could go on and on, but I digress. If you're tired of chain type places, give Gourmet and Company a visit. Very much on par or surpassing a Ruth's Chris level of restaurant. Expect to spend $100 plus for a dinner for two unless you go cheap. Very much worth it for a special occasion or if you're loaded, lol!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our local favoritesLinnberDined on 11/2/2013This restaurant provides consistently good food and service, time after time. We are never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!vcordeDined on 10/26/2013What a wonderful little restaurant in an out of the way strip mall. If not for Open Table I would not have found this place and enjoyed such a fantastic meal. The staff was warm and friendly, the food was fresh and delicious. The Butternut Squash soup was a 'to die for' starter. Almond crusted salmon entree was superb. I'm just sorry that I was too full for desert. Also had a nice glass of Butternut Chardonnay to complement the meal. You must try this restaurant if in the Johnson City areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!JohnsonDined on 8/20/2013Staff was incredibly friendly, served us well without hovering, food was excellent! They even wished us a happy anniversary as we left! The personal touches and friendly, relaxed staff (not to mention the amazing menu!) make this place a top choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oustanding diningOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/14/2013Celebrated our 33rd anniverary here, the ambiance was nice, the waiter did a very good job explaining the specials, and the food was delicious, from the appetizers thru the main courses and dessert. We had entrees of Duck and Lamb chops, both very tasty and prepared to order. We look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, good ambianceGudfoodDined on 5/31/2013Gourmet and Company has great, unique foods not found in other restaurants. The food tasted very good and had excellent presentation. The restaurant started very quiet when we got there with only a few other tables, and as the night went along and more tables arrived, it got a little louder. I would save this restaurant for a special occasion, as it is a little more exclusive. Overall, everything was very nice and we would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and companyBobaFettuciniDined on 5/21/2013While the building exterior is nothing short of bland, the interior is suave and has some personality. The menu is not huge, but it doesn't need to be. The selection of meal possibilities is broad, and the extensive use of local ingredients helps the moderate to high pricing seem worth the expense. The dining can be somewhat casual or quite formal: your clothing and attitude set te tone. The restaurant has a smooth, sophisticated jazz-feel, and the experience is what you make it. As for the restaurant, it has good service, fantastic food, and a convenient location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early Sat. dinnerSugardaddyDined on 5/18/2013We had a 6 pm reservation. Restaurant was quiet so conversation was easily possible. Noise level was rising about the time we left. Table clothes were on tables. Food was delicious and was from local farms as much as was possible. Staff was courteous and efficient. Meal was pricey but we had expected that so no surprise. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went here for my graduationdrbaumDined on 5/10/2013We went here for my graduation dinner, and it was fantastic! The service was prompt, friendly, and professional. The food was prepared perfectly and even my picky-eater husband enjoyed his meal. Pricey, but the food is worth it and makes a nice dinner for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best food in townOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2013Best dinner we've had in the Johnson City area. From the food to the service to the ambiance; we are still talking about how wonderful the experience was. Definitely our new favorite restaurant.Special Features:
- never againOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/17/2013The service is the bits these for lunch ,servers need to back to school. When you walk in the fellow at the desk looks like he needs to go back to bed. No manners or service. This restaurant use to be first class its gone down to no class.
- The food was good, thoughEatHereOftenVIPDined on 3/22/2013The food was good, though not great for the price point. Prices were a little high for the amount of food received. The chef seems to have a heavy hand with the salt and pepper. The best deal was the wine flight.Special Features: