Gotham Bar and Grill
12 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Gotham Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gothambarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2126204020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-2:15pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
The restaurant is wheel chair accessible but please note the restrooms are located downstairs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alfred Portale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: 5th Ave + University Place
- Public Transit: 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to Union Square. Gotham is 2 blocks south on 12th Street.
F,M to 14th Street. Gotham is 1 avenue east and 2 blocks south.
1,2,3 to 14th Street. Gotham is 2 avenues east and 2 blocks south.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking garages located in the neighborhood, including a parking garage across from the restaurant.
A word from Gotham Bar and Grill
Since first opening its doors in 1984, Gotham Bar and Grill has epitomized New York City dining at its finest, serving Executive Chef Alfred Portale's sublime and refreshingly accessible Contemporary American Cuisine in a dining room that is consistently packed with sophisticated diners from all over the country and the world. One of the secrets of Gotham's success is that it is an institution that has never become institutional. The unparalleled quality of the food and service are constants, but the rest of the Gotham experience is constantly updated to keep the restaurant feeling as fresh as the day it opened. New menu items are introduced each season, the wine list is always evolving, and the dining room is regularly revamped. Gotham Bar and Grill has been honored as Most Outstanding Restaurant in the nation by the James Beard Foundation, which named Chef/Owner Alfred Portale Most Outstanding Chef in the nation for 2006.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Gotham Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Gotham Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
730 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (496)fit for foodies (487)romantic (283)notable wine list (247)great for lunch (246)neighborhood gem (241)good for groups (125)hot spot (118)vibrant bar scene (75)great for brunch (53)late-night find (30)scenic view (20)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- Magnificent again!SandraVIPDined on 9/28/2014Always excellent! We ate a delicious gazpacho soup and the branzino, also the tuna tartare and the delicious NY steak with the onion rings. All was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!kac923Dined on 9/27/2014I have had the good fortune of being able to dine at Gotham Bar and Grill many times over the last 20 years. It is consistently wonderful and, along with the usual favorites posted on the menu, Alfred Portale continues to bring to the table fresh innovative dishes with his "specials". It is why my family and I keep going back; it never disappoints. The maitre'd is always professional and accommodating as is the wait staff. It is a bit pricey but, for those who like fine dining, it is well worth the cost.Special Features:
- specialDined on 9/26/2014We came to New York to celebrate a birthday and had dinner at Gotham Bar and Grill. It was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still th best after all these yearsORdinnerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Happy 30th anniversary to GB&G. My wife and I celebrated our 30th weddimg anniversary here on Sept 22. We've been coming to GB&G for 30 years. What a wonderful food and dining experience, from the moment we entered the restaurant everything was perfect. The food was, as usual, outstanding. So many great selections on the menu...some new and some old....yeah! I had the NY strip and my wife had the rack of lamb. Perfect. Loved the tuna tartar appetizer. The service, superb! Thank you, Chip. With dessert we also received a sweet sampling and a "Happy Anniversay" sugar plaque...a very nice touch! Thank you GB&G for yet another great evening.Special Features:
- Continues to earn Beard recognitiondrewtheshortstrawDined on 9/21/2014We capped off our weekend visit to NYC with a trip to Gotham on the first day of fall. Every bite and sip was memorable and rewarding. Plenty of tomatoes, of course, but not as we'd expected: a creamy gazpacho poured around vibrant chunks of fresh tomato, strawberry and cucumber chunks; a tomato salad with slightly briny slicing tomatoes set off with sweet nectarine slices and frisee. Muscovy duck with foie, worth a return trip on its own merits. And so on and so on, for hours.Special Features:
- Decoration now!BraziliangirlDined on 9/20/2014They should remodel because the food & service are really nice, but the ambiente is old!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but priceyAtillaDined on 9/20/2014The food is good' not great....and at the price, it should be great. The 'seasonal' items are more interesting than the regular menu. The wine selection is very good, but pricing is very aggressive. If you want to have a dinner conversation, try to avoid the long rows of tightly packed tables.Special Features:
- Pricey but well worth itBurtDined on 9/19/2014Once every month or two some friends and I visit one of the city's "nicer" restaurants, and Gotham Bar & Grill was always on my bucket list. It was well worth it. Service was spot-on, the food was superb (especially my NY cut streak.....ridiculously perfect) and the atmosphere/lighting is warm and inviting.Special Features:
- very special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014Four of us celebrated my husband's 60th birthday there--everything we experienced made it a memorable evening--the food, the service and the atmosphere. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out with friendsKathleen17Dined on 9/19/2014Great food, service & ambiance. Having not seen a group of friends for a long time this was the place to reconnect. The host was fantastic as I was early and my friends were running late. He allowed me to sit at a table & wait as the bar was full. The waiter was fantastic: patient, explained the wine list & entrees. He really made our night. The food was incredible. If you haven't been to Gotham def go! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingAnnieVIPDined on 9/18/2014One of my top favorites, this restaurant is impeccable and exquisite in food, decor, service and ambiance. It is consistently excellent, inventive and delicious; a perfect place for any occasion, let alone a special one. Any meal here is sure to be memorable. The soft shell crabs are to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun and always reliableMAKtheforkVIPDined on 9/18/2014From the welcome, the bar, to the service and, of course, the completely reliable menu, Gotham is a place for every occasion and never disappoints. Black cod is superb, but every dish is a success.Special Features:
- AMAZING!!!crafty1Dined on 9/18/2014As always, everything is AMAZING...food, wine, service! Home RUN!Special Features:
- Very nice restaurantMiguelDined on 9/17/2014Good service. Es my second visit and they change the menu. First time they seat us in the back and the ambience was better. This time the rack of lamb was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- IabeanyVIPDined on 9/17/2014Ater 30 years it remains consistently outstanding in all respectsSpecial Features:
- great foodpauloVIPDined on 9/15/2014I eat at the best restaurants worldwide, and there are few places where everything is perfect. This is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely but pricey...AndrewVIPDined on 9/15/2014I really love Gotham. It's lovely, great service, good food, pleasant setting... but it has gotten a bit too pricey for the experience (in my opinion). Dinner for 3, one course and one glass of wine per person... and the bill was $240 (including 20% tip). It was a nice evening out... but there are so many other choices more reasonably priced. It may be a while before we return, but only because of the cost, not because of the service. : /Special Features:
- always excellenttastyDined on 9/13/2014We have been to Gotham Bar and Grill many times. Always excellent food and service. It is a little loud but not obnoxious. You will not go wrong at the GothamSpecial Features:
- BoogieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Not the friendliest of wait staff. Waitress had attitude, not informative on dishes and didn't respond positively to questions on wine pairing.
- Special place for special occasiondharr0108Dined on 9/13/2014Gotham Bar and Grill has a diverse menu, offering something for varied tastes. And everything tasted so good! There were four of us, each ordering different appetizers and entrees, and as we sampled each others dishes, it was all excellent. Nice selection of wines, as well. The service was knowledgable and attentive, without being intrusive. It was a lovely (albeit expensive) evening.Special Features:
- Everything a restaurant should be!Beds24Dined on 9/12/2014Our dinner at Gotham was nothing short of spectacular! From the moment we walked in and were greeted, to our entire dining experience. Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgeable and not the least bit overbearing. The service was very professional but not snooty at all and the food was amazing. My husband and I were there to celebrate our Anniversary and at the end if the meal the waitress brought a dessert out with a lit candle in it and quietly congratulated us without bringing attention to the table. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still NY's finest restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014I celebrated my First Wedding Anniversary here. And my 20th. And birthdays and special events throughout the years. Consistently fantastic, perfectly cooked food in a calm atmosphere with space between the tables and warm, non-fussy service. Gotham Bar & Grill is still NY's finest restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly magnificent experienceHopeDined on 9/11/2014From the moment we arrived we were delighted with the greeting and treatment of the very attentive staff, the food was so creative and wonderful. We loved the Seared foie gras, Kampachi sashimi and the roasted beet salad, the Soft Shell Crabs were crispy and delicious and the Moscovy Duck was done to perfection, the Rack of Lamb and New York Steak were done perfectly. This goes on my list of the top 10 food experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding service!!ShishiDined on 9/10/2014We seat by window by 4 friends, the service was amazing and the 28 days steak was fantastic!! Will strongly recommend to friends.Special Features:
- Consistently impressivecookie17VIPDined on 9/9/2014We dine at Gotham Bar & Grill because luckily my husband works in the neighborhood and it's very convenient. Above all, it's a special place. The menu is inventive and the food is always delicious. They are accommodating to alter items for picky eaters (even adults!). I always order the chicken (less the mushrooms) and it's sumptuous. I don't know anyone with whom I've eaten there who's ever had a disappointing meal. The service is top notch. I would recommend when seeking an elevated dining experience.Special Features:
- Another fantastic dinneramccDined on 9/8/2014We just had our 30th wedding anniversary dinner at the Gotham, and as always, the whole experience was amazing. Incredible food - had the foie gras and the cod entree, and they were both excellent - along with impeccable service, wonderful environment. One of my NYC favorites.Special Features:
- Great Food Great AmbiancemichiganreviewerDined on 9/7/2014This upscale but not pretentious restuarant has energy but you can easily hear and have a conversation at your table. The service was excellent -both attentive and helpful in describing the dishes. Both my date and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals. We shared a perfectly prepared risotto. I had the Black Cod and she had the softshell crab. Both were excellent. Make sure to save room for chocolate cake - it was surprsingly light with a real cocoa flavor and not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/7/2014First courses were outstanding, and my wife's lamb and son's steak were likewise. My steak, however, was noticeably inferior- my wife noted immediately that it looked different. While adequately cooked, it was gristly throughout. The waiter evinced no interest in the significant amount of uneaten steak on my plate, and basically grunted when I said that the cut of meat was poor. I assume that this happened because I ordered the meat well done. This seems short sighted, regardless of how professionals feel about meat ordered well, given that we now won't return.Special Features:
- Amazing food and servicefoodloversDined on 9/6/2014We love the Gotham Bar and Grill. The food is fantastic. The wine list is amazing. Service is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chipped paint on the wall behind ustimmmykVIPDined on 9/5/2014Terrine was dry. Paint was chipped on the wall directly behind my husband - they really could have taken 5 minutes at the end of the previous night to touch up. Service was very good but a tad too pleased with themselves. Steak was excellent. TOO expensive for what we received.
- JACKjackVIPDined on 9/5/2014Had the best sweetbreads I ever had. Everything was first class. Food and service were near perfect.Special Features:
- love the placesusannaDined on 9/5/2014Second time at Gotham Bar an Grill, second time extremely pleased. this time around, a perfect birthday lunch for my husband!Special Features:
- NolaDined on 9/4/2014Fantastic in every way. Very friendly and attentive wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love Gotham,BunnyDined on 9/4/2014Welcome back! That's how I was greeted and I have not been to New York since last December! And then everything was perfection! The food is absolutely wonderful and the presentation alwYs gorgeous!Special Features:
- BetsyVIPDined on 9/4/2014Excellent service. Foie gras appetizer was great. I ordered the pork chop which was dried out so I sent it back. I then ordered the rack of lamb (my husband had also ordered the rack of lamb) which was delicious. We split the Gotham chocolate cake. It was not what I expected as it was more of a mousse cake and I expected more of a ganache cake. The dinner was very good overall, and our server Dan was outstanding.Special Features:
- One of the BESTDeDeVIPDined on 9/4/2014Outstanding! Still as good as it was when it first opened. Al Portale you are the most talented chief round. Such a well run restaurant. FIRST CLASS!Special Features:
- Simply the BestinwoodartDined on 9/4/2014Gotham Bar and Grill continues to be one of the most excellent eating establishments in New York. We have been going there since the late 1980s, and every time we have been blown away by how good the food is and how imaginative the menu is. The staff is very friendly and informative, and all is presented in the most professional way. For us it really is the benchmark by which all over restaurants get judged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodkwerfDined on 9/1/2014I had the miso black cod and it was excellent. The kale and quinoa salad was also very delicious. They were very helpful picking out a good bottle of wine. It was pricey but I don't mind paying when you get good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchLindajwinkVIPDined on 9/1/2014A very extensive lunch menu, in addition to the summer greenmarket prix fixe, and everything was spot on from both menus. We especially enjoyed four desserts including sorbets, chocolate cake, a deconstructed peach cobbler, and one I can't remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, as usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014The finest meal in NYC!! Exceptional food, wonderful menu and incomparable service! gets better every year...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.