Gotham Bar and Grill
12 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Gotham Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gothambarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2126204020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-2:15pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
The restaurant is wheel chair accessible but please note the restrooms are located downstairs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alfred Portale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: 5th Ave + University Place
- Public Transit: 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to Union Square. Gotham is 2 blocks south on 12th Street.
F,M to 14th Street. Gotham is 1 avenue east and 2 blocks south.
1,2,3 to 14th Street. Gotham is 2 avenues east and 2 blocks south.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking garages located in the neighborhood, including a parking garage across from the restaurant.
A word from Gotham Bar and Grill
Since first opening its doors in 1984, Gotham Bar and Grill has epitomized New York City dining at its finest, serving Executive Chef Alfred Portale's sublime and refreshingly accessible Contemporary American Cuisine in a dining room that is consistently packed with sophisticated diners from all over the country and the world. One of the secrets of Gotham's success is that it is an institution that has never become institutional. The unparalleled quality of the food and service are constants, but the rest of the Gotham experience is constantly updated to keep the restaurant feeling as fresh as the day it opened. New menu items are introduced each season, the wine list is always evolving, and the dining room is regularly revamped. Gotham Bar and Grill has been honored as Most Outstanding Restaurant in the nation by the James Beard Foundation, which named Chef/Owner Alfred Portale Most Outstanding Chef in the nation for 2006.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Gotham Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Gotham Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
748 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (516)special occasion (492)romantic (280)great for lunch (252)notable wine list (249)neighborhood gem (244)good for groups (140)hot spot (112)vibrant bar scene (81)great for brunch (53)late-night find (31)scenic view (15)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- GREAT NY RESTAURANTLisacDined on 10/27/2014Amazing food, even more amazing dessert. Pricey, but very worth it.Special Features:
- Great food, crammed seatingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/27/2014The service and food are outstanding. The wine list extensive, and the waiters and sommeliers very knowledgeable. On the negative side, the seating is very tight, it's hard to have an intimate conversation, you have the feeling of having dinner with your couple and four others.... The wine list is as extensive as it is expensive, or, to be more precise, overpriced.Special Features:
- Better than a clubsevenseasDined on 10/27/2014Delightful food, service when needed, enough quiet and room to hold private conversations. Well done!Special Features:
- Excellent but PriceyRonlDined on 10/26/2014I have been to this restaurant a number of times over the years. They consistently deliver an excellent dining experience but expect to pay dearly. $19 dollar apetizers and $40 dollar entrees are excessive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after 16 yearsiEATVIPDined on 10/26/2014Came here in 1999 for dinner when attending school in New York. The meal and experience then was amazing. Now, 15 years later, the restaurant is still delivering tasty dishes and delivering outstanding service. We had the ricotta tortellini, seafood salad, filet, lobster and chicken dishes. All were great but ricotta and seafood salad dishes were exceptionally tastySpecial Features:
- good timeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Went for 5 yr anniversary. Had a 930 reservation which got seated at 10. Its a late reservation so you gotta be willing to wait. Had a glass of wine while we waited. But once we got seated the menu looked amazing, not a bad meal any way you go. 3 courses, all better than the nextSpecial Features:
- Outstanding !!!!!ElliotDined on 10/25/2014From the moment we arrived to a warm friendly greeting to the time we left (after 2 hours) of fine dining, it was fabulous.We celebrated my sons birthday and each one of us ordered something different and one dish was better then the other.The ambiance, the food the service the whole evening was wonderful. It was truly a memorable occasion. We return again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2014I travel to NY often, and this is one of my go-to restaurants. It's always a wonderful experience. The service and cuisine is always superb. Would heartily recommend it to anyone looking for a "foodie" experience. But, call ahead early. It's popular, and for good reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014Beautiful classic and clean setting. Service was beyond attentive, but never disruptive. Prix Fixe lunch menu was good, but burger was the BEST! All types of diners there from business, families, ladies who lunch, and all ages. Carrot soup was perfect. Chocolate cake was so dark and rich it served 3.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingly mehMazikVIPDined on 10/23/2014Partly because my guest was vegetarian, we had the Greenmarket prix fixe ($35), a bargain if only it pleased. But the kale salad was just like every other kale salad, and my penne with a veal jus was sub-ordinary. (My guest, an excellent cook, didn't say anything about the food, and because she didn't, I didn't ask.) And the wine list at lunch offers only three wines by the glass--this in a restaurant with a renowned wine list. On the other side, the restaurant is beautiful and the service first rate, a quiet and charming place to lunch. But I simply don't get the basis of the three star NYT rating.
- Still satisfying after 27 yearsbobdDined on 10/21/2014When I first moved to Greenwich Village in 1987 Gotham was one of the first restaurants I went to and I have gone back every year since with relatives and friends all of whom love it.Special Features:
- Good food for a great food pricelizateeDined on 10/20/2014I enjoyed a very nice dinner with really very good food and attentive service during the meal. I do think not all entrees are equal... My striped sea bass was tasty, but I would suggest overpriced for its quality - the accompanying vegetables and sauce being more interesting and flavorful than the rather ho-hum fish. I was most disappointed that for my 8pm reservation, we were not seated until 8:30pm, and that when we tried to split the bill 1/3 and 2/3 the check was brought to us incorrectly several times before we got it right (not a huge problem, but given the price...).
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/20/2014Gotham Bar & Grill is a favorite of our and we go there frequently, but a recent visit for lunch in October found that they were out of Campari at the bar (couldn't someone run around the corner and buy a bottle?) had "run out" of pappardelle on the Prix Fixe menu where it was one of just three choices. Our waiter seemed very nervous and unsure of himself, which is quite a difference from the typically high level of experience and service we've encountered with servers over the past 10 years there. We hope that this was just an isolated experience as this is one of our favorite places.Special Features:
- Good restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Good restaurant: silent, chic, well served and good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantasticwineguy1982Dined on 10/18/2014After a five month absence we returned on Saturday. We were led to our favorite table without requesting it. They remembered. Every morsel of food was the finest example of what that food should taste like. Tuna tartare, risotto with white truffles, ricotta tortellini and the fantastic flowerless chocolate cake. No other chocolate dessert will ever top it. The wine director Heidi is so friendly and helpful. She puts the dining experience on another level with her warm professionalism. She is a big asset to the restaurant. Joseph the matre de greets with a warm welcome and checks back to make sure all is well. While so many other restaurants have slipped in quality. Gotham Bar and Grill is "The Finest Restaurant in New York City."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and ambiance. The interior is beautiful. the presentation of food was exquisite. waiter was polite, knowledgeable and nice. we had a great experience. Loved it!Special Features:
- Aging wellOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014I hadn't been to Gotham in quite a while; it seemed less like a hot spot, with multiple tables with kids, all well behaved, and the look of yesterday fabulous. But the food was still architectural and as good as always, and I am going right back just a few days later. I missed you, Gotham!Special Features:
- One of the bestSteveDined on 10/16/2014Overall tops. Great meal, wines and service. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- ExcellenceHeadlinerDined on 10/16/2014Polite attention.. Knowledgable wait staff. Food was attractively plated and delicious --cooked to requests.Special Features:
- I Love The Gaham Bar & GrillJohnDennisDined on 10/16/2014Super spot to dine for lunch or dinner. When speaking with reservations, both Chad and William are very pleasant, and helpful. Great ambiance. Delicious food. Beautifully presented. Chocolate cake is sinfully delicious. Very good service. I look forward to a return soon. I always recommend "The Gotham" to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014I hadn't asked for a particular table but we were seated in a corner which was perfect - could see all but could also be very private. Delicious martinis, food and wine and the service was great. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gastronomic DelightnoodlemanDined on 10/14/2014A last minute reservation to celebrate a birthday became an exquisite gastronomic event at Gotham. This is our fourth time eating at the restaurant. My favorite champagne was chilling and our corner table had a perfect view of the restaurant. My starter of burrata, roasted peppers and arugula was delicious however I would have liked to have tasted more burrata and less pepper. My husband had the foie gras which was delectable and melted in your mouth. We had the miso marinated black cod and the New York Strip with the lightest onion rings. Dessert was a lovely chocolate cake with a candle of course! My only disappointment – the breads were too dense and a bit dry. Mark mixes a mean martini. All the staff were accommodating and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect tailoringfoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Like a fine cut suit, my experience was a perfect fit: gracious welcome, very good table for talking, wonderful quinoa/kale salad, perfect hake and a tiny dessert (good for dieters like me). The server was friendly but not overbearing, attentive and helpful. A perfect lunch. Forgot how much I liked the place!Special Features:
- Gorgeous Food!StrawberrySurfDined on 10/14/2014We ordered the fixed lunch menu and the dishes were just gorgeous! Both in presentation and taste. It was such a joy to dine in Gotham. The kale quinoa salad was a burst of boldflavour and texture; the crisp hake was a wonderful marriage of crispiness at the outside, perfectly cooked centre and the creamy curry vinaigrette. Wonderful. Service was very charming too. Highlyy recommeded.Special Features:
- A good restaurant, service too fastJohnandKathDined on 10/13/2014A good restaurant with interesting food but the pace of the service spoiled our evening. For the prices charged one expects dining to be an occasion rather than refueling.Special Features:
- Almost perfectDickVIPDined on 10/12/2014If it weeren't for the "Nothing is Perfect" axiom, Gotham would get that label.Special Features:
- WOW !!!meekaVIPDined on 10/11/2014My porkchop & my wife's steak was mind blowing. Each bite we took of our meals our eyes rolled in the back of heads (lol) , very good wine list to compare with anything u choose on the dinner menu. Will definitely be back real soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better if it was a little warmerAnExpatWifeVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had dinner here on a Friday evening and it was completely packed. We had a nice table next to the bar which is slightly raised so you can get a good view of the other diners and more importantly what they are eating. The downside of this was that I was in direct line of the air-conditioning so spent most of dinner wearing my jacket. I have no idea why everywhere in the USA has to be so cold. If its too cold to enjoy dinner without a jacket - well its TOO COLD !! The rest of the review and pictures is at http://www.anexpatwife.com/the-restaurant-blog/gotham-bar-and-grill-new-york-cityI would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a great experienceShadydogDined on 10/11/2014Our server Nicole was outstanding food was great we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsabDined on 10/11/2014The food and our waiter are what made this restaurant such a great experience. She was excellent, and the food was beyond expectationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgdfoodDined on 10/11/2014Always have had a wonderful experience at gotham. Excellent service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningPhddebDined on 10/11/2014My Husband and I enjoyed a five star evening at Gotham Bar and Grill last Saturday night. Food and wine was to die for!!! The absolute BEST kale salad I have ever had...kudos to the chef. We will return our next trip to NYC.Special Features:
- ZuzuZuzuDined on 10/10/2014Nice restorant I can always go....but I will be carefull next time for the salads.....I prefer to go For dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, alwaysLuciDined on 10/10/2014Simply put, one of the best restaurants in NYC. Year after year, it never loses a step. Atmosphere is comfortable and elegantly casual. Service is attentive and friendly. Food is delicious with great presentation. Our server, Delilah, was nothing short of terrific. Been here several times, and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and servicemmostadDined on 10/9/2014This was my first visit to Gotham Bar and Grill and I will definitely return. The food was outstanding. We ended up sharing a first, second, third and dessert and each dish were served beautifully prepared on separate plates. The third, duck with foie gras, was probably one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. We asked for wine recommendations and our waiter picked out a perfect selection to reasonable prices.Special Features:
- disappointing dinner experienceAnnaDined on 10/9/2014dinner for two, about usd 300. unfortunately did not find the restaurant to be the same standard and consistency as other michelin one star restaurants. taste, display and texture did not offer any surprises, one can find the same with better price elsewhere. 28 day aged stake was excellent, gotham chocolate cake good but one of the two pieces of lamb in the lamb rack dish was chewy and liver tasting and the dish was just not worth the 50 usd. also burrata salad had strange mismatch of tastes, overwhelming sundried tomato that didnt allow the great and subtle taste of mozzarella to be enjoyed. having visited several michelin one stars in NY and in Europe would unfortunately not return to gotham and definitely didnt find value for the money.
- Set lunchGibjaneDined on 10/9/2014The 3 course set price lunch is very good value in this up market restaurant, with small but tasty portions of delicious food. The beautiful room is spacious, quiet and comfortable, and the service is superb. A must when I visit Manhatten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed!!DeenaluciaDined on 10/7/2014I planned a dinner party for 6 of us. 3 of us were vegitarians and 3 not. I was so upset to find out (after we had all decided what we wanted) that the vegetarian tasting menu is only possible IF everyone at the table orders it. Had I known that I would never have gone there. After being to many restaurants in the city that offer both veggie tasters menu and meat alike, (per se, blue hill) not having both options is just ridiculous. We even asked to split the tables which we couldn't! Having to discuss with a big group about what everyone was ordering was just exhausting!!Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemMaeveDined on 10/7/2014I had not been to this restaurant for many years and was pleasantly surprised to see that little had changed. It is a pretty restaurant and quiet enough for dinner conversation. I was pleased with my food as was my dinner partner, however the service was a tad slow. On several occasions we had to look for our waiter to order another wine or check on our next course. The staff were very polite and professional overall. I would go there again.Special Features:
- ZMAN33VIPDined on 10/7/2014Great as usual! This place continues to present an elegant ambient with a sure thing in creative cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.