Gotham Bar and Grill
12 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Gotham Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gothambarandgrill.com/
- Phone: (212) 620-4020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-2:15pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
The restaurant is wheel chair accessible but please note the restrooms are located downstairs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alfred Portale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: 5th Ave + University Place
- Public Transit: 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to Union Square. Gotham is 2 blocks south on 12th Street.
F,M to 14th Street. Gotham is 1 avenue east and 2 blocks south.
1,2,3 to 14th Street. Gotham is 2 avenues east and 2 blocks south.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking garages located in the neighborhood, including a parking garage across from the restaurant.
A word from Gotham Bar and Grill
Since first opening its doors in 1984, Gotham Bar and Grill has epitomized New York City dining at its finest, serving Executive Chef Alfred Portale's sublime and refreshingly accessible Contemporary American Cuisine in a dining room that is consistently packed with sophisticated diners from all over the country and the world. One of the secrets of Gotham's success is that it is an institution that has never become institutional. The unparalleled quality of the food and service are constants, but the rest of the Gotham experience is constantly updated to keep the restaurant feeling as fresh as the day it opened. New menu items are introduced each season, the wine list is always evolving, and the dining room is regularly revamped. Gotham Bar and Grill has been honored as Most Outstanding Restaurant in the nation by the James Beard Foundation, which named Chef/Owner Alfred Portale Most Outstanding Chef in the nation for 2006.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Gotham Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Gotham Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
702 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (491)special occasion (471)romantic (280)notable wine list (247)neighborhood gem (222)great for lunch (206)good for groups (139)hot spot (123)vibrant bar scene (83)great for brunch (34)late-night find (26)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (10)great for outdoor dining (8)Show More
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/23/2014Great food and service Bar tender new how to make a Martini as well PerfectSpecial Features:
- Re: One of the Best Restaurants in Town!!!PfernandVIPDined on 11/22/2014It is amazing that this place has been around for 30 years and just recently we have discovered, that we that consider ourselves to be gourmands, have never entered such an impressive mecca of the best tradition in the culinary arts. From beginning to end this place offers the best of the best in food, service and environment and compared to other places, the more value for your money. For an special night out, this place is not to be missed. We were blown away by all of the dishes and selection and ultimately we were surprised for how little we spend!!! Actually, two weeks before, we had dinner at a restaurant of similar quality, and spend $1,000.00 more in comparison to a fancy dinner at this place. You will not regret a visit here, chances are in your favor that you will end up, a fan like us!! Keep up the good work Gotham!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great except our waitress KimberlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Waitress was not attentive and walked away while we were thinking. She showed no interest and never asked how we liked our meal. For a fine restaurant, service should be more professionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A culinary experienceZeynepDined on 11/21/2014This is our third dinner at Gotham. Each time we live a unique experience and leave the place with lots of enthuisastic memories. Food is outstanting. Tastes and presentations both.amazing. You feel very comfortable and well served while tasting wonderfull foods.this is our must go placa for each NY trip. Looking forward to come bavk..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food and lovely presentationFrasseDined on 11/21/2014Delicious food and lovely presentation. Our waitor was extremely accomodating, to the point where it was obvious that he was making suggestions to increase our costs to allow himself a better tip. A little obvious. Otherwise a beautiful dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful fine diningOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/20/2014Lovely room, exceptional service. Fiod delicious with emphasis on imaginative veggie preparations much appreciated. My bass had a coating disturbingly similar to corn flake crumbs, but otherwise food hit the right notes. Recommended for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Infuriating policybetsyVIPDined on 11/18/2014I had a reservation for 3 at 7 p.m. I arrived at 6:50 and asked to be seated at my table, but was told I would have to wait until my friends arrived- which they did a bit before 7. The restaurant, at that time, had many empty tables and inasmuch as I had a reservation, I can't imagine why Gotham insists on holding on to this extremely dated and rude unpleasant policy. I would hesitate to go back. The maitre d' was less than courteous, and I am too annoyed to ever refer business. There are too many other wonderful restaurants with a more courteous policy - Jean-Georges, Gramercy Tavern, The Benjamin, Tocqueville, Union Square, Marea, et. al.Special Features:
- Overall great mealopentableuserVIPDined on 11/17/2014Was first time here in over 5 years - it was even better than I remembered. Great food, service and wine choices, all around excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back again!BobbyjiVIPDined on 11/17/2014Excellent fare, great service taking care of our every need, wonderful ambience: cheerful, elegant, warm; just...perfect. We're old friends and come together to catch up on our lives while we dine, have a drink, and enjoy each other's company. Gotham has become "home" for our past and future meetings. What a delight! Thank you for a fine dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/16/2014One of best meals I've had in the city. A true gem that should never be taken for granted. Most amazing short rib I ever had with lobster!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- STILL ONE OF THE BESTAmy1VIPDined on 11/15/2014Always a wonderful time at Gotham. So warm and welcoming. Elegant room, beautiful flowers. The food is delicious, the service professional, and the wine list though VERY EXPENSIVE, is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectnateDined on 11/15/2014From beginning to end, we had a perfect meal. Cocktails, first course, main course, dessert, environment, and wait staff were all totally perfect. Best steak of my life, best dessert of my life, best cocktails of my life. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodRochgirlDined on 11/14/2014We went here this weekend had a wonderful time. The atmosphere is beautiful, an elegant understated space. We were a party of four and all loved our food. I had great lamb chops , great salads and wonderful desserts. All in all a fantastic special night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous timemannyDined on 11/14/2014I took my girlfriend to New York for her birthday on Friday, November 14, 2014. Obviously, birthday dinner calls for a special place. A colleague of mine recommended the Gotham Bar and Grill as just that kind of place. The interior of the restaurant is very nice with a nice long bar on one side and a railing separating it from the restaurant side. The tables were spaced so that it still maintained an intimate setting for private conversation. I had purchased tickets to see a broadway play commencing at eight p.m. Upon arriving at the restaurant and stating our reservation to the host, he immediately asked if we had tickets to the theatre or another event to attend and if we wanted to be reminded of the time at a certain time. Nice touch. The food itself was wonderful. The wine list was extensive enough that we saw several choices that we recognized and liked. My girlfriend does not normally eat bread. The bread man came to our table holding a basket of different types of bread that were simply irresistable. At some point in the evening she requested more of the cranberry and nut bread. We ordered the appetizer of roasted, golden and red beets to share. I generally do not like nor eat beets and (until this night) eat them only at a restaurant called Eddie V's. But when they are carmelized and roasted as they were here, I could have eaten another order. The restaurant also divided the order and brought them out in separate plates. Another nice touch. The presentation of the dish was so wonderful that my girlfriend took a quick photo with her cell phone and and texted back to all her friends wishing her happy birthday that she was having dinner at Gotham and attached the photo . The universal response of her friends to the photo was "yummy." As for the entrees, both my girlfriend and I decided to order fish as we had already planned to each meat at a steakhouse the next night. She ordered the halibut and I ordered the cod. They were both delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Love This PlaceBigblue1103VIPDined on 11/14/2014Once again Gotham Bar and Grill reminds me of why it is my favorite restaurant!!! Food cooked and presented to perfection!!! Thank You again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeyVIPDined on 11/13/2014Fantastic dinner, I was fortunate to order a Rib Eye about the size of my face;, it was perfectly cooked medium rare with an excellent char [ended up being two meals not just one. ] Their preparation for their citrus chili ceviche was off the hook. Fois gras was perfect. great service, Sommelier Jason was knowledgable, kind, and helpful . waiter Dan was smart, involved yet didn't hover and excited about the food, Excellent service. All in all a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointingug1976Dined on 11/13/2014Excellent food and ambience. Consistent over the year it's one of the top restaurants in NY although the friendly atmosphere makes it less ostentatious than many other top tier restaurants in the city. Absolutely spectacular the foix gras and the lobster with short ribs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionBetsyDined on 11/12/2014We have been going to Gotham Bar and Grill for years.....and the food remains the same: perfect, innovative and delicious. The presentation in so beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gotham Bar and GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014A few friends and I dined here during our visit to NYC. I gave it 4 stars for food because our steaks were highly priced but we have had better elsewhere. Otherwise the appetizers (we had foie gras and the salmon ceviche) and the salmon were really amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for Average FoodMarmaeDined on 11/12/2014This is not the first time that we have been to this restaurant. It will, however, Be the last. Although we had a spectacular waiter, Dan, the food was very average. I have no problem paying more for food that warrants it, but my steak was tough. My husbands halibut and tuna Tartar was bland.
- as good as everpaulclaireDined on 11/12/2014ate here any years ago. Found it to be everybit as good as it was then..food great, super service , woiuld recommend highly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York Must VisitRSRSDined on 11/11/2014This is our favorite restaurant in NYC, we don't visit the city without dining at the Gotham Grill. I don't believe we have ever ordered the same meal twice but every dish has been outstanding. Generous portions, reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extraordinary!LP45VIPDined on 11/10/2014This restaurant came highly recommended and did not disappoint. Lovely setting, superb food, thoughtful service...everything was exactly right. I recommend the risotto with white truffles for an appetizer, and my husband loved his (true) Nantucket bay scallops. The fish dishes we selected were smart and inventive without being hyper-trendy, and were perfectly prepared and delicious. Apple tart tatin...dreamy! The focus is on the food here in the best way possible: perfection of taste and appearance. I would return in a New York minute! (P.S. I'm not a vegetarian, but if you are, the vegetable dishes look extremely tempting.)Special Features:
- Magic maintainedCJLondonDined on 11/10/2014At last I got to eat at the famed Gotham Bar & Grill which was everything it is rated. Truly amazing food. It is a busy place but noise levels are not high. Elegant people and dress. Certainly recommended for locals and visitors alike.Special Features:
- As alwaysMatthewDined on 11/10/2014Gotham never disappoints me. I was with few friends who have never been there before. They kept saying wow and so nice...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014The food at Gotham is excellent, especially the duck. It melts in your mouth. No meal here is complete without the Gotham flourless chocolate cake--absolutely divine, have never had better. Highly recommend Gotham.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/8/2014Excellent dining experience. Service spot on, excellent food. Well worth the priceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIchVIPDined on 11/8/2014Great simple food with an amazing wine list and wonderful service.Special Features:
- Great food and experience!gizelDined on 11/8/2014Went to dinner for my husband's birthday. Host was lovely and put us at a romantic table in the corner. Service was great! We didn't feel as though the staff was hovering over us but we were well attended to. We were not rushed during the dinner. The food was spectacular! The scallops were a special that day and was the best dish of the night. Halibut was the best fish I ever ate. Unfortunately dessert was the worst part of the night. We ordered the peanut butter sundae and it was awful. We should have been warned that it was a savory sundae. The combination of savory and bland peanut butter, cream and bitter chocolate was difficult to swallow. It was the only thing all night we could not finish. Despite that it was one of the best dinnersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All the Superlatives ApplyWaterfordVikingDined on 11/7/2014Elegant, sumptuous fare draws the most discerning habitue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More Than ClassCarodjamesDined on 11/7/2014I visited Gotham for a class project. I am extremely happy that I chose this restaurant to dine. The service was exceptional and my waiter answered my never-ending questions that I needed for my class. The food was exceptional. I had many options as a vegetarian that I don't usually have at other restaurants. I was very pleased with my meal and overall experience. For a special occasion I will definitely make my way back to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014We came here for my girlfriend's birthday pretty excited given what we read in reviews. We showed up on time but it took 30 minutes to be seated; we had a couple drinks at the bar but there was limited space as numerous other people were also waiting for their tables. I got the shellfish risotto which was good but rather simple. It tasted like a jumbo but I thought was overly salty. I followed this up with duck which again was very good but not special. I felt like I could walk in almost any restaurant in NYC and get the exact same dish. My girlfriend has the short ribs and lobster. Once again, good but nothing special. For this amount of money / rating, go to Gramercy Tavern or Nomad for a much better meal.
- DisappointedVIPDined on 11/5/2014Very good restaurant. Very professional, very good food, place makes for a very nice evening and enjoyable dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing on every levelJamesJosephDined on 11/4/2014We have been going to Gotham for over 20 years Excellent food, great service, notable wine list. I have never been disappointed in the slightest. Perfection from the east/west coast oysters, house cured salmon, foie gras, rack of lamb and the Lobster/short ribs were over the top.Special Features:
- Ok experience!MichelVIPDined on 11/4/2014We have been to this restaurant quite a few times over the years and always enjoyed going back, but this time was a bit of a let down. The service was very good and efficient, but the menu never seems to change. My wife had the black cod dish which she usually enjoys, but this time it was way too salty. I think that we will be giving Gotham a break on our next trip to NYC.Special Features:
- Gotham Was A Little "Off"ase1707VIPDined on 11/3/2014Dinner at Gotham Bar and Grill is always a treat, but last evening proved to be the exception. It was hard for me to define, but the service was not as good as it usually is. For example, one of our desserts was mistakenly given to another table and it took almost ten minutes to replace. The biggest complaint of the evening was the "peanut butter sundae" which was missing something. It was not good and all four of us tasted it and came up with the same result. I have had many good meals here and will be back, as I trust it was just an "off" evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and AmbianceRickJaxDined on 11/3/2014The food and Ambiance were Excellent. Nice slow pace for an enjoyable dinner. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite since 1980sSwimmerVIPDined on 11/3/2014Chef Portale's cuisine never disappoints. Monday night is not as crowded/noisy as week end nights, which is fine with us. Still restaurant filled up by 8 PM. I am unable to resist the tuna sashimi on cucumber as am appetizer, and find the Rack of Lamb absolutely superb. The black bass was also outstanding and delicious, and the chicken breast. Enjoy!Special Features:
- loved everything about itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/2/2014we sat at the bar. the bartender was funny and friendly. the food was fantastic. We hadn't been here before, but will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but a tad too priceyProfcVIPDined on 11/2/2014At our recent dinner here, we both picked the vegetarian tasting menu. Overall, the savory dishes were wonderful and memorable. Unfortunately, the two desserts were disappointing, and both of us felt that we would rather have had an additional savory and a dessert off the regular menu. Given our dissatisfaction with one-third of the tasting menu, it felt too expensive. My partner got one of the wines by the glass, and the pour was pretty scanty for the price. We eat out a lot and are New Yorkers, so we know that meals (especially excellent ones) are expensive here. That said, while Gotham Bar and Grill is definitely a top-notch place with great service, it feels just a little too expensive for what you get.Special Features: