Gotham Bar and Grill
12 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Gotham Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gothambarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2126204020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-2:15pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
The restaurant is wheel chair accessible but please note the restrooms are located downstairs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alfred Portale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: 5th Ave + University Place
- Public Transit: 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to Union Square. Gotham is 2 blocks south on 12th Street.
F,M to 14th Street. Gotham is 1 avenue east and 2 blocks south.
1,2,3 to 14th Street. Gotham is 2 avenues east and 2 blocks south.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking garages located in the neighborhood, including a parking garage across from the restaurant.
A word from Gotham Bar and Grill
Since first opening its doors in 1984, Gotham Bar and Grill has epitomized New York City dining at its finest, serving Executive Chef Alfred Portale's sublime and refreshingly accessible Contemporary American Cuisine in a dining room that is consistently packed with sophisticated diners from all over the country and the world. One of the secrets of Gotham's success is that it is an institution that has never become institutional. The unparalleled quality of the food and service are constants, but the rest of the Gotham experience is constantly updated to keep the restaurant feeling as fresh as the day it opened. New menu items are introduced each season, the wine list is always evolving, and the dining room is regularly revamped. Gotham Bar and Grill has been honored as Most Outstanding Restaurant in the nation by the James Beard Foundation, which named Chef/Owner Alfred Portale Most Outstanding Chef in the nation for 2006.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Gotham Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Gotham Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
739 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (507)special occasion (485)romantic (274)great for lunch (248)notable wine list (244)neighborhood gem (241)good for groups (137)hot spot (111)vibrant bar scene (76)great for brunch (51)late-night find (30)scenic view (17)kid-friendly (10)great for outdoor dining (5)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/17/2014Excellent food and ambiance. The interior is beautiful. the presentation of food was exquisite. waiter was polite, knowledgeable and nice. we had a great experience. Loved it!Special Features:
- Aging wellOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014I hadn't been to Gotham in quite a while; it seemed less like a hot spot, with multiple tables with kids, all well behaved, and the look of yesterday fabulous. But the food was still architectural and as good as always, and I am going right back just a few days later. I missed you, Gotham!Special Features:
- One of the bestSteveDined on 10/16/2014Overall tops. Great meal, wines and service. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- ExcellenceHeadlinerDined on 10/16/2014Polite attention.. Knowledgable wait staff. Food was attractively plated and delicious --cooked to requests.Special Features:
- I Love The Gaham Bar & GrillJohnDennisDined on 10/16/2014Super spot to dine for lunch or dinner. When speaking with reservations, both Chad and William are very pleasant, and helpful. Great ambiance. Delicious food. Beautifully presented. Chocolate cake is sinfully delicious. Very good service. I look forward to a return soon. I always recommend "The Gotham" to family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014I hadn't asked for a particular table but we were seated in a corner which was perfect - could see all but could also be very private. Delicious martinis, food and wine and the service was great. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gastronomic DelightnoodlemanDined on 10/14/2014A last minute reservation to celebrate a birthday became an exquisite gastronomic event at Gotham. This is our fourth time eating at the restaurant. My favorite champagne was chilling and our corner table had a perfect view of the restaurant. My starter of burrata, roasted peppers and arugula was delicious however I would have liked to have tasted more burrata and less pepper. My husband had the foie gras which was delectable and melted in your mouth. We had the miso marinated black cod and the New York Strip with the lightest onion rings. Dessert was a lovely chocolate cake with a candle of course! My only disappointment – the breads were too dense and a bit dry. Mark mixes a mean martini. All the staff were accommodating and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect tailoringfoodieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Like a fine cut suit, my experience was a perfect fit: gracious welcome, very good table for talking, wonderful quinoa/kale salad, perfect hake and a tiny dessert (good for dieters like me). The server was friendly but not overbearing, attentive and helpful. A perfect lunch. Forgot how much I liked the place!Special Features:
- Gorgeous Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/14/2014We ordered the fixed lunch menu and the dishes were just gorgeous! Both in presentation and taste. It was such a joy to dine in Gotham. The kale quinoa salad was a burst of boldflavour and texture; the crisp hake was a wonderful marriage of crispiness at the outside, perfectly cooked centre and the creamy curry vinaigrette. Wonderful. Service was very charming too. Highlyy recommeded.Special Features:
- A good restaurant, service too fastJohnandKathDined on 10/13/2014A good restaurant with interesting food but the pace of the service spoiled our evening. For the prices charged one expects dining to be an occasion rather than refueling.Special Features:
- Almost perfectDickVIPDined on 10/12/2014If it weeren't for the "Nothing is Perfect" axiom, Gotham would get that label.Special Features:
- WOW !!!meekaVIPDined on 10/11/2014My porkchop & my wife's steak was mind blowing. Each bite we took of our meals our eyes rolled in the back of heads (lol) , very good wine list to compare with anything u choose on the dinner menu. Will definitely be back real soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better if it was a little warmerAnExpatWifeVIPDined on 10/11/2014We had dinner here on a Friday evening and it was completely packed. We had a nice table next to the bar which is slightly raised so you can get a good view of the other diners and more importantly what they are eating. The downside of this was that I was in direct line of the air-conditioning so spent most of dinner wearing my jacket. I have no idea why everywhere in the USA has to be so cold. If its too cold to enjoy dinner without a jacket - well its TOO COLD !! The rest of the review and pictures is at http://www.anexpatwife.com/the-restaurant-blog/gotham-bar-and-grill-new-york-cityI would recommend this to a friend.
- As always a great experienceShadydogDined on 10/11/2014Our server Nicole was outstanding food was great we will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dsabDined on 10/11/2014The food and our waiter are what made this restaurant such a great experience. She was excellent, and the food was beyond expectationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgdfoodDined on 10/11/2014Always have had a wonderful experience at gotham. Excellent service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningPhddebDined on 10/11/2014My Husband and I enjoyed a five star evening at Gotham Bar and Grill last Saturday night. Food and wine was to die for!!! The absolute BEST kale salad I have ever had...kudos to the chef. We will return our next trip to NYC.Special Features:
- Superb, alwaysLuciDined on 10/10/2014Simply put, one of the best restaurants in NYC. Year after year, it never loses a step. Atmosphere is comfortable and elegantly casual. Service is attentive and friendly. Food is delicious with great presentation. Our server, Delilah, was nothing short of terrific. Been here several times, and can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and servicemmostadDined on 10/9/2014This was my first visit to Gotham Bar and Grill and I will definitely return. The food was outstanding. We ended up sharing a first, second, third and dessert and each dish were served beautifully prepared on separate plates. The third, duck with foie gras, was probably one of the best dishes I have ever tasted. We asked for wine recommendations and our waiter picked out a perfect selection to reasonable prices.Special Features:
- disappointing dinner experienceAnnaDined on 10/9/2014dinner for two, about usd 300. unfortunately did not find the restaurant to be the same standard and consistency as other michelin one star restaurants. taste, display and texture did not offer any surprises, one can find the same with better price elsewhere. 28 day aged stake was excellent, gotham chocolate cake good but one of the two pieces of lamb in the lamb rack dish was chewy and liver tasting and the dish was just not worth the 50 usd. also burrata salad had strange mismatch of tastes, overwhelming sundried tomato that didnt allow the great and subtle taste of mozzarella to be enjoyed. having visited several michelin one stars in NY and in Europe would unfortunately not return to gotham and definitely didnt find value for the money.
- Set lunchGibjaneDined on 10/9/2014The 3 course set price lunch is very good value in this up market restaurant, with small but tasty portions of delicious food. The beautiful room is spacious, quiet and comfortable, and the service is superb. A must when I visit Manhatten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressed!!DeenaluciaDined on 10/7/2014I planned a dinner party for 6 of us. 3 of us were vegitarians and 3 not. I was so upset to find out (after we had all decided what we wanted) that the vegetarian tasting menu is only possible IF everyone at the table orders it. Had I known that I would never have gone there. After being to many restaurants in the city that offer both veggie tasters menu and meat alike, (per se, blue hill) not having both options is just ridiculous. We even asked to split the tables which we couldn't! Having to discuss with a big group about what everyone was ordering was just exhausting!!Special Features:
- ZMAN33VIPDined on 10/7/2014Great as usual! This place continues to present an elegant ambient with a sure thing in creative cuisine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Seafood SaladChuckVIPDined on 10/6/2014I am so disappointed that they changed the seafood salad. It used to be an impressive salad that actually included greens. Now, it is a rather limp looking salad with no greens that tastes just ok. Also, this is a restaurant that should have gluten free offerings, at least GF bread.Special Features:
- a meal to write home about...TheLatvianDined on 10/4/2014The seafood salad was, as usual, scrumptious, however, I still miss the previous presentation...the cocoon-like greens studded with seafood gems. The black cod converts certified fish-haters into lovers of seafood. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Terrific evening!DebjebDined on 10/3/2014What a great place! The bartenders & waiters are friendly, service great and the food soooo delicious! A very nice evening all-around!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestHappyat12e12Dined on 10/2/2014My favorite restaurant. Delicious food, class and comfort. Best of all, terrific staff--friendly, welcoming, simply the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still really goodHHellerVIPDined on 10/2/2014We haven't been to Gotham in a while but was greeted with "Welcome Back" which started the evening off wonderfully. The food was wonderful and we had a lovely evening with friends.Special Features:
- ONe of the best in NYCredsquare32Dined on 10/2/2014Gotham Bar and Grill never ceases to amaze. After 30 years, the food is incredible, the dining room supremely elegant and the service quietly attentive. The Hudson Valley seared foie gras is to die for!! I will keep coming back for the next 30 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maintaining High StandardsJJ1660VIPDined on 10/2/2014Well prepared,creative dishes served in a beautiful setting is the hallmark of the Gotham Bar and Grill. That the restaurant maintains these high standards after its many years of operation is a result of a complete effort by all involved in providing the dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always "spot on"TonyaVIPDined on 10/2/2014Hadn't been there for years for a lunch - just lovely from start to finish. I work in the neighborhood and will be back much more frequently!Special Features:
- Fair experience!AviddinerVIPDined on 10/1/2014We have been to Gotham many times and usually have an amazing meal and dining experience. However, Wednesday night was the first time we did not have an A+ meal- in fact, it was just fair! The service was very slow and not nearly as seamless as it usually is. It was just a fair meal and blah dining experience. I suppose everyone is entitled to a bad night- hopefully it will be as good as always next time we go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GothamliciousLaurieposVIPDined on 10/1/2014Understanding that my date & I had to leave at a certain time for a show gothams service was outstanding..quick but not rushed..delicious tuna tartare,beet salad and miso cod..everything split and shared with no problem..great dinner Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of town visitorsDizzyDined on 9/30/2014I took my guests from New Zealand and Sth Africa to Gothan Bar and Grill to give them an authentic new York experience and they were not disappointed. Superb dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2014Great quality food for a reasonable price. The portions were just enough to provide a filling meal by the end of the night. The only thing that left something to be desired was the dessert selection.Special Features:
- Magnificent again!SandraVIPDined on 9/28/2014Always excellent! We ate a delicious gazpacho soup and the branzino, also the tuna tartare and the delicious NY steak with the onion rings. All was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great!kac923Dined on 9/27/2014I have had the good fortune of being able to dine at Gotham Bar and Grill many times over the last 20 years. It is consistently wonderful and, along with the usual favorites posted on the menu, Alfred Portale continues to bring to the table fresh innovative dishes with his "specials". It is why my family and I keep going back; it never disappoints. The maitre'd is always professional and accommodating as is the wait staff. It is a bit pricey but, for those who like fine dining, it is well worth the cost.Special Features:
- specialDined on 9/26/2014We came to New York to celebrate a birthday and had dinner at Gotham Bar and Grill. It was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurantsbassish101VIPDined on 9/22/2014My second time visiting Gotham (first visit was during 2014 Summer Restaurant Week). Service was warm, helpful, and professional. The food was absolutely fantastic (sweetbreads, new york steak, soft shell crab, and key lime tarte), paired with great wines. The decor and ambiance of the restaurant is sophisticated, down-to-earth, and comfortable. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still th best after all these yearsORdinnerVIPDined on 9/22/2014Happy 30th anniversary to GB&G. My wife and I celebrated our 30th weddimg anniversary here on Sept 22. We've been coming to GB&G for 30 years. What a wonderful food and dining experience, from the moment we entered the restaurant everything was perfect. The food was, as usual, outstanding. So many great selections on the menu...some new and some old....yeah! I had the NY strip and my wife had the rack of lamb. Perfect. Loved the tuna tartar appetizer. The service, superb! Thank you, Chip. With dessert we also received a sweet sampling and a "Happy Anniversay" sugar plaque...a very nice touch! Thank you GB&G for yet another great evening.Special Features: