Gotham Bar and Grill
12 East 12th Street
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
Gotham Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.gothambarandgrill.com/
- Phone: 2126204020
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-2:15pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
The restaurant is wheel chair accessible but please note the restrooms are located downstairs.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Alfred Portale
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Cross Street: 5th Ave + University Place
- Public Transit: 4,5,6,N,R,W,Q to Union Square. Gotham is 2 blocks south on 12th Street.
F,M to 14th Street. Gotham is 1 avenue east and 2 blocks south.
1,2,3 to 14th Street. Gotham is 2 avenues east and 2 blocks south.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are numerous parking garages located in the neighborhood, including a parking garage across from the restaurant.
A word from Gotham Bar and Grill
Since first opening its doors in 1984, Gotham Bar and Grill has epitomized New York City dining at its finest, serving Executive Chef Alfred Portale's sublime and refreshingly accessible Contemporary American Cuisine in a dining room that is consistently packed with sophisticated diners from all over the country and the world. One of the secrets of Gotham's success is that it is an institution that has never become institutional. The unparalleled quality of the food and service are constants, but the rest of the Gotham experience is constantly updated to keep the restaurant feeling as fresh as the day it opened. New menu items are introduced each season, the wine list is always evolving, and the dining room is regularly revamped. Gotham Bar and Grill has been honored as Most Outstanding Restaurant in the nation by the James Beard Foundation, which named Chef/Owner Alfred Portale Most Outstanding Chef in the nation for 2006.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Gotham Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Union Square ›
Gotham Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
764 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (526)fit for foodies (501)romantic (304)notable wine list (267)great for lunch (258)neighborhood gem (255)good for groups (139)hot spot (126)vibrant bar scene (72)great for brunch (65)late-night find (33)scenic view (26)kid-friendly (8)great for outdoor dining (6)Show More
- Great lunchLindajwinkVIPDined on 9/1/2014A very extensive lunch menu, in addition to the summer greenmarket prix fixe, and everything was spot on from both menus. We especially enjoyed four desserts including sorbets, chocolate cake, a deconstructed peach cobbler, and one I can't remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, as usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/31/2014The finest meal in NYC!! Exceptional food, wonderful menu and incomparable service! gets better every year...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh!BradVIPDined on 8/31/2014$300 for a meal that could be duplicated for half the price at many places in Manhattan (Commerce comes to mind). Service was spotty, food was hit or miss - a med. rare served medium, duck cold and fatty. Again, I'm factoring in the price as well as the ABSURDLY awarded Michelin star. If the meal had been $160, it would have boon OK. My only thought is that we went Sunday evening - maybe they only have their B team working then? Even the desert was cold and boring (was supposed to be warm) and our tea came with enough water for half a cup. Easily rectifiable if only we could have gotten our waitresses attention, which we did, 12 minutes later. Bottom line: we left feeling slightly greasy and very disappointed.
- Among the best dining experiencesDClocalsDined on 8/30/2014We chose Gotham Bar and Grill to celebrate our 15th anniversary, and the experience was among the best we have had. The food and service were impeccable; the ambience was also fantastic. Thank you for an experience we will not forget.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of NYCVinoVIPDined on 8/30/2014Truly exceptional in all regards. Certainly one of best restaurants in NYC and one of my favorites. Hits all of the right notes - highest quality in all areas, food, decor, service, sophistication without pretense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014I took my lady friend here for her birthday. We had a lovely evening. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Favorite Restaurant!ContessaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Gotham Bar and Grill has it all- excellent food, perfect service and delightful atmosphere. On a recent visit to celebrate my birthday, intended to try something new, but I had to see if the kale and quinoa salad and the soft shell crabs were as delicious as I remembered. Yes! My husband tried the tortellini that were filled with pureed corn and garnished with corn and other ethereal delights. It is a dish to swoon over. Their famous chocolate cake is not to be missed- warm, dense chocolate, with salted caramel ice cream. We took our servers suggestion and ordered the key lime tart for two. It was perfect in all ways, tart and sweet with baked meringue and a cookie crust. It could serve five to six people, but we ate the entire thing.Special Features:
- great foodsteveDined on 8/29/2014Overall an excellent night out. No complaints. Great value . Good wines. Great buzz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerslac59Dined on 8/29/2014First time dining here. Food was excellent. As well as the service. Also, the restaurant couldn't have chosen a better person to be maître de. Personable as well as accommodating. Just the kind of person you want greeting you as you arrive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/29/2014I would just suggest not sitting along the banquets in the middle of the room. I was bumped and had waiters leaning over me to talk to patrons to the next table, constantly.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014The food was delicious , the service is gracious, and the atmosphere is very good. We shared the tuna tartare and the hamachi sashimi as appetizers. My main course was the miso glazed cod. All was excellent.Special Features:
- Great place!MerfDined on 8/28/2014I'll be back for sure! I would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice and good experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014I went there under friend's recommendation. Everything was perfect; welcoming, food explanation, wine recommendation, service,...I'll thanks my friends for the evening we spent in your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in NYCBrianWVIPDined on 8/28/2014Plenty of people talk about the best restaurants in Manhattan - I think it ends with Gotham. I've been there many times over the years, and this last visit - to celebrate two important events - was beyond excellent. My wife and I were in awe of each plate, not to mention a random wine we picked from the list. From start to finish, the service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything Perfectase1707VIPDined on 8/27/2014The Gotham Bar and Grill is that perfect place to enjoy a fine dining experience. The decor, food and service is even better than one should expect from one of the fine restaurants in New York. I cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible serviceWilly25VIPDined on 8/27/2014Our waiter Jeff was unfriendly and unattentive--board earring rude. He did not refill our wine glasses, check on our how our meal was, nor did he offer us a dessert menu. Additionally, Jeff insisted we order our main courses with our appetizers even though we requested a few additional minutes. I have been to Gotham several times and expected the same level of service I normally receive. Needless to say I was very disappointed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousmeekaVIPDined on 8/27/2014Went for the lunch the other day an burger & fries was very good. Never had a burger were its oozing with juice , beautiful decor as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kimmy8Kimmy8Dined on 8/27/2014Great food and atmosphere. We were recommended by a friends and it didn't disappointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never ceases to amazePickyEaterVIPDined on 8/26/2014One of the world's great restaurants. Others may get more hype but few are better: after decades Alfred Portale's gem consistently performs at highest level. Complex elegant dishes with the essence brilliantly captured for each ingredient with delicious and often fanciful interplay among the components. Nothing "heavy". Great wine pairings if you want to spring for that. We had the extraordinary vegetarian tasting menu---clearly proudly featured on the menu. No dish was short of exceptional: order what you wish for, even if you've had it recently and be glad you did. Price handleable with 3 courses and generous pours---and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GothamOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014My first visit, great service, wonderful entrees (halibut and black cod), just a great place to eat fir a special occasion.Special Features:
- Happy at lasthappyatlastDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant met every criteria needed to enjoy the best of everything in ambience, food and service. Each food selection was worth more than the price on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular foodBKlineDined on 8/25/2014By far the best food in the city. A wonderful experience. The service was over the top. Never had a dry glass or without continual pampering as needed. Not to much mind you. Excellent staff training as if they all owned the Resturant. I would recommend that every one try it. The prices were better than other so called high in restaurants. Great value, Great Food, Great night. Thank ou for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening!BigEfromBigEasyDined on 8/25/2014The service was professional yet personable. Very pleasant demeanors while assisting us. I don't usually order chicken at fine dining restaurants but the chicken dish was simply delicious. The flavors of all if our dishes very savory. And the dessert we shared was just the right end to a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014Food, service, and ambiance were perfect for celebrating 43rd wedding anniversary.Special Features:
- Outstanding Sunday night dinnerWattsDined on 8/24/2014Every dish was excellent and impeccably prepared. My dining guest and I were able to easily split the bill and pay at the table with the PayPal mobile app. That was a nice touch to an already perfect experience.Special Features:
- The Dark NightWestSideFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014This was our second visit to this restaurant, the first being 1.5 years ago. The environment has somehow lost some charm and character. We think this had a lot to do with how dimly lit the room was. Our first visit, we were at the street windows, and truly enjoyed the energetic setting. This time, we were in the middle of the back half of the room, towards what is a nice windowed wall, but the low lighting sucked some of the energy away. Food (which included fish, feathered, and four-footed representatives) was well-prepared. Will come back, but seek seating near the front of the restaurant.Special Features:
- I choose Gotham over le BernadinOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014My new fav in NYC. Wine list - wow! Even by the glass. Food!! We shared 8 courses. Raspberry soufflé was parfait. Must have a res. Famous people sighted. NYU neighborhood. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodesdfDined on 8/23/2014Not a flawless meal... my chicken was just fine. But other plates were fabulous, especially the lobster. Great cocktails and wine list. Wonderful service. Overall, a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RunnerDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant was very good. Would have liked a better table since a reservation was made in advance. We were seated next to a "post" and it was a bit uncomfortable.Special Features:
- GothamdktrdVIPDined on 8/21/2014Never lets you down. The food is perfection. Incredibly concentrated flavors in such perfectly-sized portions. Service great. Room great. I'd say the perfect restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still great after all these yearstdkNYCVIPDined on 8/20/2014Food remains amazingly good. Don't know how they do it. Congrats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappoint at the Gotham B & GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/20/2014For a 70 plus lunch, I expect great service, decent portions and Gotham provided neither. I had to hail down my waiter for everything. The Prix Fixe Lunch was not a deal. The entree, was an over cooked 2X2 square of dry, sticky halibut. Try the appetizer beet salad instead. The gazpacho was excellent, the wine great. But the dessert were three tiny pellets the size of a tablespoon each. I ordered a second appetizer and then headed off to the bakers since I didn't feel full at all. The service was lackluster. Hanjan and Bar Boulud had better food and better deals. And for a advanced reservation, they sat me in a crowded, dark park of the restaurant.
- Always a wonderful evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Gotham Bar and Grill consistently comes through witha marvelous evening of fantastic food and great service in a pleasing venue! Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clients and friendsDharperVIPDined on 8/19/2014The service, from the moment you enter, was wonderful! The food Devine, the wine enchantingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When is Gotham not Wonderful? NeverBigFanVIPDined on 8/18/2014Totally outstanding in every way. Food, service, wine list and, somehow it matters to say, value (enjoyment, satisfaction, ambiance) to price is always in the guest's favor. Please, if you know what 'GOOD' is, get yourself there! xxabSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EveningEmmaDined on 8/16/2014Always wonderful.Food, atmosphere, service impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedppppVIPDined on 8/16/2014Gotham "Grill" & for some reason, they just couldn't get my entrée, Rack Of Lamb, cooked the way I like it, which was Med Rare. I don't believe I was being unreasonable or it was out of the ordinary requesting med rare. First, it arrived medium done. Ok, it happens, I was just a tad disappointed. Second time, it arrived like baaa baaa rare. Now, it's getting ridiculous & frustrating but still kept my cool and smile nicely to my server. My server's reaction to the rareness of the rack of lamb was pretty much the same as mine. Third time, the rack of lamb arrived & instead of giving me a new dish, they simply recooked the lamb. It was pretty bad & doneness was still off. Also, by that time, the accompaniments were flat/lukewarm.
- GothamOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Knowledgeable wait staff; great food and service. Was pleased that they remembered when I mentioned it was a birthday celebration and they brought out a very nice dessert! They actually noted who was celebrating despite it being a large group and an off hand mention of who was celebrating.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/15/2014As a jaded New Yorker this remains on the top of my list of favorites. The food and service are great with a friendly staff. The ambience is outstanding with an upbeat feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014Never fails. Over twenty years the quintessential manhattan ding room for foodies!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.