2656 W Lawrence Ave
Chicago, IL 60625Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.goosefoot.net/
- Phone: 7739427547x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Nugent
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome
- Private Party Facilities: At this time the restaurant is not available for special buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Nina Nugent 7739427547x
A word from goosefoot
Chris Nugent is chef/owner of this new 34-seat Fine Dining BYOB restaurant located in Lincoln Square. Goosefoot features a subtle palette of grays with touches of gold and black. The cuisine is an artful blend of French technique with modern vision created from small artisan farm products. Chef Nugent's talent for precision, refinement and visual artistry in the form of an elaborate nine-course tasting menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
goosefoot - Best Restaurants in Lincoln Square ›
goosefoot reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)special occasion (36)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (17)hot spot (7)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Smart And Balanced FoodkranstonDined on 8/30/2014Food was excellent, proteins perfectly cooked, subtle and balanced flavors. Goosefoot's theme was seen in almost every course with earthy presentation, edible flowers, and flavored gels. For me the flowers and gels just about overstayed their welcome. 9 courses, 3 extras - Amuse-bouche, Pallet cleansing shooter, and Hot chocolate dessert. Best Dish - 9th course, final dessert on the menu (Pineapple/sorrel/coconut/passion fruit) The flavors counteracted and blended with each other brilliantly. Worst - 3rd course (corn soup/potato/sunflower essence) While this was not a bad dish, it seemed fairly one note. Most Unique - 7th course (crème provençal/rhubard/mustard/fig/fennel) Surprising unique flavor combinations I had never tasted before.Special Features:
- Heavenlyariez0407VIPDined on 8/29/2014Favorite courses: Corn soup, crème provençal cheese, and the hot chocolate. The only miss was the risotto, which was more of a rice pudding and was overwhelmed by truffles.Special Features:
- Beautiful food, lovely experiencesmc1VIPDined on 8/27/2014Each dish was absolutely delicious! The presentation was simple and elegant while the flavors were complex and unique. Everyone was incredibly friendly and it was a nice to see Nina and the servers spending time with each table to get to know their diners and thank them. Goosefoot is a really special place and the amount of pride and joy put into it is wonderful to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Goosefoot has become our favorite restaurant in Chicago! Every dish was amazing and the customer service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Value - Excellent CulinaryLakeviewMamaDined on 8/15/2014Microgreens provide for a unique food experience. I loved the basil blossom and the micro hibiscus. I can't do this place justice in a review - you need to experience it for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpecialChappyDined on 8/14/2014This is a place for special occasions! Would go back in a heart beat!Special Features:
- Always awesome...MikeBikerVIPDined on 8/9/2014This is still our favorite place to have an amazing meal with BYOB to boot. The food is very well prepared and is the best tasting menu in this city. No matter how many times we have been here we just cannot get tired of the food. The service is also wonderful. We cannot wait for their food and wine store to open!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in Lincoln SquareAsh4689Dined on 7/31/2014This was my first fine dining experience and first time at Goosefoot. All I can say is WOW. It certainly lived up to its hype! There was not a single course that was bad. There was a little bit of a lag in between some of the courses, but not long enough to put a damper on the evening. The service was prompt, and not too overbearing. The chef's wife Nina Nugent comes to each table at the end of the meal and really makes you feel like you are dining in her home. It is tough to get a reservation at, since the restaurant only seats 34 people. I had to book a table there about 8 weeks in advance. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my meal there, and I can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant presentationsannaDined on 7/31/2014Goosefoot offers a tasting menu with 9 courses BYOB. The hostess and wait staff are very personable, and the atmosphere is civilized. The food contains seasonal ingredients and incorporates molecular gastronomy techniques, especially gels and flowers. All the courses were good, but some were lacking in overall flavor, with individual components not adding up. The scallop, salmon and soup courses were excellent. The cheese course had a lot going on, including fennel chips and explosive fig pellets. The garlic custard was curdled with minimal shrimp flavor and the duck confit in the risotto was totally lost. The peach dessert was overwhelmed by the strawberry flavor, but had a good biscuit. Nice finish with a tiny hot chocolate.Special Features:
- One of a KindgorgsVIPDined on 7/24/2014Art on a plate. Innovative and delicious. Caring service. Unpretentious fine dining, a real gem.Special Features:
- Fine DiningWinedudeVIPDined on 7/16/2014goosefoot was as billed...a wonderful fine dining experience. Each course was excellent and very creative. The service was friendly and very informative. The owner/hostess couldn't have been nicer. We felt welcome and she made us very comfortable. What a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Exactly as advertised.....everything was fantastic. Dinner is a little long which should be no problem if you have great company and bring great wineSpecial Features:
- Must tryess82Dined on 6/26/2014I was lucky enough to get a reservation for 2 the same week. I found it much more difficult find tables for 4 or 6 persons on past attempts. The food was delicious and I would definitely recommend Goosefoot. The service was friendly but slower than expected. I'm fine with a long meal, but we waited at least 15 minutes between a few of the courses. On the plus side, Goosefoot is BYOB which is rare for upscale restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent but takes too longDalianVIPDined on 6/18/2014Excellent food, masterful technique, just a little slow in between courses. Over 3 and a half hours is tiresome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goosefoot Worth the WaitRLWfromILVIPDined on 6/12/2014We really enjoyed FINALLY getting a reservation at Goosefoot. It was worth the wait. The food is well prepared from the best ingredients. The service is attentive but not obtrusive. The staff also makes an attempt to make their attention seem more "personal". We really enjoyed the preparation and presentation of the scallop dish. The "diver scallop" has seemingly gone from luxury food to something that everybody tries to serve. While it is hard to screw up such a (potentially) great starting ingredient, it is also possible to deliver the mundane. Goosefoot succeeded in breathing some fresh life into this dish. The chocolate installments of dessert were also amazing: we were told that they plan to open a chocolate shop too...Yeah!Special Features:
- Among the bestnaskinDined on 6/11/2014One of the best restaurant experiences I've had in Chicago in my 6 years here. The attention to detail was unbelievable, both in terms of flavors, presentations, and preparations. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- Fine dining as part of the familyjayjayVIPDined on 6/5/2014I love this restaurant: this was our second time at Goosefoot and we would definitely go back. In thinking about how to sum it all up: If you had a great chef that invited you, and a small group of people, into his home for a private luxury dinner- that would be what this is like. The food is artfully prepared, both taste-wise and visually. Things come out hot and fresh . The service low-key but professional. Chef Chris and his wife Nina both make an effort to say hello to everyone and really make you feel like part of the family. Thanks for another great evening.Special Features:
- Goosefoot rocksechristmasVIPDined on 5/30/2014Great meal, wonderful service. cant wait to returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, flawed ambianceNoobFoodieDined on 5/22/2014Overall the experience was very very good. The food was excellent - probably the best I've had in the city. A few things detract from me being able to whole-heartedly recommend this restaurant at the moment. There was a group of about 5 people sitting close to the door who were very loud. In a dining room as small as Goosefoot's this has a big impact and I wish the waitstaff would have picked up on this and mentioned something to them. You could feel everyone (who is paying $$$$$) glaring at them. The second thing was that I was distracted by flickering lights in the dining room. I'm not sure if this is a power issue or if lights were going out, or if the dimmer switches were set too low for the CFL bulbs. In any case, it was annoying.Special Features:
- We will be back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 5/10/2014My boyfriend and I celebrated my birthday at Goosefoot and could not have had a more enjoyable experience. From the minute we walked in, the owner greeted our table and was so warm and hospitable. The food was fantastic start to finish- not one course was a miss (as can often be the case with multi course tasting menus). Each dish was imaginitively prepared, beautifully presented, and most importantly, absolutely delicious! We typically like to try new places for special occasions but decided we'll be back to goosefoot for his birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a memorable eveninglooking4theperfectIPADined on 5/9/2014Great presentation of food that had a flavor explosion is just about every bite. The night I went, it was a 11 course extravaganza. The wait staff was attentative, engaging, but not overbearing. The best part about the night was chef Chris and his wonderful wife spending time at our table, taking the time to learn about us and our dining experience. They not only did this at our table, but AT EVERY TABLE!!! You just wont get that sense of pride and ownership at every restaurant. If you want a truly remarkable dining experience, rivaled by few in Chicago, please visit Goosefoot, the reservation list may be long, but that should tell you something and it is well worth the wait!Special Features:
- The following 338 reviews are from the goosefoot reviews archive.
- We had such high hopes!LivingforflavorVIPDined on 5/2/2014An overall one dimensional menu- similar dishes with too much cream dependence- most lacking in the details of flavor we expected, except for the flowers that accented the dishes. As these courses all were too rich, the deserts were too sweet. Subtlety? Even the chocolate at the very end, which hoped to rave about, were filled with a passionfruit center so sweet I scooped it out and left it on my plate. We wanted to love this place, but expected it would be about the flavors of the food. The rabbit buried in cream course moved the meal from questionable to wrong, even the steak was surrounded. For the price 2 stars is generous. While the service was good, unless you like really rich similarly styled food, there are a lot better options!
- Impeccable in every wayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/1/2014Not only is the food amazing, dining there may as well be at the chef's own home. Eat at Goosefoot once to preview Heaven. Go back because Chris and his wife are fantastic people who literally take you in as part of their family as soon as you walk in the door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Memorable MealLive2EatDined on 4/30/2014You must plan a head and you must go. Generally, I always hope for a cancelation at the last minute at restaurants like this and am rarely rewarded, but waiting a month for your meal to arrive has its own rewards. So, a month passed and my expectations inflated, but were far exceeded by the meal we enjoyed. This is a BYOB restaurant. Go to their website and find their menu and under "Info", wine recommendations. Dress is business casual. The space is bright, simple, but pleasingly decorated. The staff is friendly, knowledgable, attentive and without any airs of pretension. Beautiful plating is only out shined by the party that happens with every taste of every morsel. You will not be disappointed. GO.Special Features:
- Amazing and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We had high expectations, and the were completely met. The food was imaginative and delicious. The staff was very friendly and approachable. A wonderful experience and we would go back in a heart beat!Special Features:
- IncredibleTD27Dined on 4/18/2014It was hard to get a reservation here, but well worth the wait and patience. The food was outstanding and the staff were amazing. Chef Nugent and his wife made us feel that we were guests in their home. I can't wait to try and get back!Special Features:
- decent american fine diningpinggVIPDined on 4/18/2014it was good, but not super. too much truffle oil on everythingSpecial Features:
- Loved it!JennVIPDined on 4/17/2014Meal was outstanding. The chef and his wife pour their heart into this place and it shows. One if the best restaurants in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small bite, huge flavorLadycopfoodieDined on 4/17/2014This place was outstanding!!! It was a date night gem.... I have been to a lot of restaraunts but Goose Foot surpased all of them of this caliber! The tastes were small but packed a flavor punch!!!!! The food not only taste good, it was aromatic and beautiful as well! It was expensive but I was full an completely satisfied when I left!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic - will definitely return!DinningforFunVIPDined on 4/16/2014had a great meal there yesterday. Prix Fix menu - which was well - balanced and really had a perfect mix of dishes. Chef was attentive to all dietary restrictions (it was Passover). would definitely come back again it is bring your own wine or beerSpecial Features:
- Wonderful MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/16/2014We had a lovely meal at Goosefoot. The staff was welcoming and friendly, and the food was inventive and tasty, without being "cute" or overly intricate. While the spacing between courses was sometimes a bit long, it gave us time to enjoy the wine we brought, and the quality of each course made the wait worth it.Special Features:
- thoughful menu and great atmosphereJKPADined on 4/16/2014Dined here on recommendation of a repeat customer-- and even at $135/person would dine here again. Thoughtful menu, carefully explained by wait staff and entertainingly plated (but not overly complex). Long service- four hours (could have been shorter- but pace is slow, not at all rushed). Beautiful chocolate made on site- not heavy or overly sweet ---and excellent coffee (from Bridgeport).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceOskVADined on 4/9/2014Although it is difficult to get reservations; I would recommend to keep trying. The food and the whole dining experience was wonderful. The plates were beautifully decorated and everything was delicious. It is pricey but you should know that already if you're trying to get reservations there. Compared to other restaurants that I have been to that serve the upscale prix-fix menu's, I'd give this one a 10 out of 10 for food and presentation. The only thing I would have enjoyed better would have been for the service to have been a bit faster. It took 4 hours to complete the meal.Special Features:
- Lives up to it's repDavidBVIPDined on 4/3/2014Goosefoot is legit. It was a bit long for 11 courses, but worth it. The scallop was amazing, the soup was the best I've ever had, and the beef simply melted. Overall an outstanding experience... And I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing short of spectacular!RandallDined on 4/2/2014We are from Houston and found this place by doing our "pre trip" food research. Thank you to all who reviewed this restaurant because that is why we went and why we tell others to do the same! I have experienced a lot of tasting menus and am always a little but skeptical of having no say in what I will eat orher than just not going there. Thank goodness I did not let that sway me this time because every course was very special and as beautifully presented! The only thing better than the food was the people who worked there! Everyone was enthusiastic, friendly, and willing to share all of that with you to make you feel your are the most special person in the room. Try it as soon as you can so you can go back again and again!Special Features:
- my wife and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/28/2014my wife and I had a great night at goosefoot. the food was outstanding and the level of service is impeccable. Thanks Nina and Chris, can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A real find...RaviniVIPDined on 3/19/2014Took a while to get a reservation but it was well worth the wait and the effort. Excellent and exceptionally creative food via the reasonably priced (comparatively) nine course tasting menu at $135... The BYOB policy really helps keep the cost of the meal down. Couple of suggestions: wait between courses was a bit much, particularly in the early going. Took forty minutes before we were at our second taste on the menu. What turned out to be a 3 hour meal would have been perfect at 2 1/2 hours. Not as luxurious in feel or service as L20 or Tru, though it's hardly a complaint. It's just not that frou-frou, and they don't pretend to be. Everyone was very friendly and the whole meal was a truly memorable experience. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service is spectacular.NancyVIPDined on 3/12/2014Food and service is spectacular. Love the BYOB with fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Fine Dining BYOValentineDinerDined on 3/7/20149 courses on the menu plus 2 other little tastes made for a 3 1/2 hour fine-dining experience. This is a $135 prix fixe menu so you eat what is being served. One dish not favored by my palate was the rabbit/acorn/sweetbread/polenta which I ate but I could've done without. With so many courses, portions are small though incredibly attractive with beautiful little edible flowers. My favorite dishes were the chestnut soup, toothfish and angus beef. Service was very attentive but not fussy. We were warmly received by the owner Nina Nugent. The BYO sets Goosefoot apart from other truly fine dining experiences. We will be back for a special occaision if we can snap up a reservation on-line 60 days before we want to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff make you feel rightOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/5/2014The staff make you feel right at home and very welcome. It was fine dining, but without the stuffiness. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.