Goose & Gander
1245 Spring Street
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Goose & Gander
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://goosegander.com/
- Phone: 7079678779x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday 12-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Goose & Gander
Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Goose & Gander - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Goose & Gander reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (138)fit for foodies (117)neighborhood gem (93)vibrant bar scene (69)romantic (60)special occasion (58)good for groups (56)notable wine list (51)great for lunch (43)hot spot (41)late-night find (23)great for brunch (16)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (5)Show More
- Pleasant end of day of wine tastingMiltonDined on 10/22/2014Fun appetizers, great mushroom soup, convivial atmosphere.Special Features:
- I just got a miss..DS360Dined on 10/18/2014I think normally this restaurant would be great. I think we just hit a bad patch with the kitchen. I heard they are famous for their burgers. 3 of us ordered them. All were bone dry and burned. If cooked properly I'm sure they would have been awesome. Very thick. But I think the line cook just had a bad patch. Overall seemed like a nice place. Service was good. My one-time experience with the food wasn't super hot, however.
- Great place!TravellerDined on 10/15/2014Eclectic bar feel- very cool. Great drinks.. The food was great the atmosphere was great and all the staff were frindly and eager to please! We really enjoyed our whole experience at the G&G!Special Features:
- Beautiful patio with gastropub foodottawamirchiDined on 10/13/2014You can sit out amongst the flowers on the patio, soak in Napa on a local level, and eat some glorious food. A succulent burger with bone marrow, and the corn croquettes with a smooth red pepper aioli were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendous!JonelDined on 10/11/2014We made plans to have late lunch after sone wine tasting at the recommnedation of my sister who has visited the restaurant many times & knows the owner. She was dead on with her recommendation my friends & I loved the food & the service was perfect. I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatSergeiSaysVIPDined on 10/10/2014I'm a regular and never disappointed. Consistently high caliber in all ways - service, ambiance, food. A never miss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feel good serviceOutside42Dined on 10/10/2014We were well taken care of in an unpretentious manner - creative cocktails and high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable StylehelenagrubberDined on 10/10/2014Went on a Friday nite rather early, not to crowded. Had great service from a nice gentlemen. We ordered a couple Old Fashion's, they were large and yummy. My husband even ordered another to go with our burger. I had a glass of cold Chardonnay. We ordered the shrimp with polenta appetizer as well as the cheese and salami sampler, both were fantastic. The shrimp still had the shells on them so be careful, a little messy. We split the hamburger with duck fries and thoroughly enjoyed it! I would recommend this resturant, a lot on the younger crowd shows up here.Special Features:
- Great cocktails...will be backCbDSmDDined on 10/9/2014We stopped in for cocktails and appetizers before heading to another spot for dinner. The Bali old fashioned was great and the portion was better than I expected. Sometimes with specialty cocktails you wind up with a giant ice cube and 2oz of liquor. Not the case here, great drink. Our server was knowledgable and very friendly. We will definitely be back the next time we are in St. Helena for a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TandTVIPDined on 10/9/2014We were greeted at the door and taken to a very nice spot in the garden. The service was very good. We are locals but had not been here to eat. Some neighbors recommended it. The food was very good. The mushroom soup was so rich I couldn't eat it all but it was delicious! The fried olives were a nice way to start our meal. My husband had the special steak sanwich dip. It was huge and he didn't finish it but loved the au jus to dip into. I finished off with the arugala salad. Great find. We will return to try other items on the menu. Nice cocktail choices. We stuck with wine but will definitely return at cocktail hour one day soon. Thanks for a great lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good and FriendlyGeorgeDined on 10/7/2014This restaraunt was recommeded to us by someone who likes good food, and they did not disapoint us. The courtyard is great for spending time and they have a decesent wine list. The owners are walking around to make sure everything is correct, that shows the attentinion to detal that comes out in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experiencecphsfVIPDined on 10/6/2014I've gone to Goose & Gander many times at the bar, but only once or twice for a full dinner. This last experience, we were able to sit outside on a gorgeous Napa Valley evening. The house made pasta with clams and chorizo were to die for, and even something as 'simple' as chicken is incredible. The drinks always take a bit of time, but when you taste them you realize why: slowly handcrafted with incredibly fresh ingredients. Wonderful.Special Features:
- Love the burgerVllyGrlDined on 10/4/2014Our group took a break fro wine tasting to enjoy lunch here. They were very accommodating to large groups, as we had 8 people. The burger is phenomenal and so were the prawns. Meat and cheese plates were a great starter...the pate was delicious.Special Features:
- FairFoodandwinegirlDined on 10/3/2014This was recommended to us, so we were excited to try something casual but delicious. The food was mediocre...nothing special. The service was nothing to write home about. I had hoped for more and was disappointed.
- Almost excellentNapaValleyFoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014We dined at G&G for my partner's birthday. I told the hostess who confirmed the reservation AND the hostess upon arrival that it was her birthday. I expected only a candle in our dessert, not a Mariachi band, but it didn't happen! The food was very good, but the rosé was served at room temperature. It should have been properly chilled or I actually should have just refused it. It took our entire meal to cool off, and I went for several minutes with an empty glass waiting for service. Not good. Some of us living in St. Helena know food and wine and have reasonable (or high) expectations from a high-end restaurant like G&G. The mushroom soup was superb as always, and the salmon was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in St. HelenaTampaHoosierVIPDined on 10/2/2014This was our first visit to Goose & Gander and what a pleasant surprise. The downstairs bar offers great ambiance and exquisitely crafted cocktails. We dined outside in a beautiful setting underneath a persimmon tree. The muted din of music and the conversation of others around us was not overwhelming and made conversing easy without seeming too quiet or stuffy. The wine list is well curated with a good, but not overly large, selection of high quality wines at many different price points. We ordered several small plates in lieu of a more traditional lineup. Everything was expertly prepared and plated. All dishes were absolutely delicious but two days later we are still talking about how wonderful the spanish octopus was.Special Features:
- GreatfamouswineDined on 10/2/2014Great lunch! Been there for many dinners but this was the first time for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in NapaFoodie1984Dined on 9/30/2014The service is excellent. The food is delicious. Their pork chop is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMollyDined on 9/28/2014Good service, good food, beautiful setting. The only small thing was the loud music which they turned down after a couple a requests. Otherwise a very nice fine dining experience. Would recommend to anyone. Plus they have a very cozy bar downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014The food, always great. The service, always lacking. Server was very nice but very slow in everything she did. Unfortunately, the service does keep me away, I don't dine at G&G as often as I would if the service was better.Special Features:
- Everything great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/27/2014Really enjoyed our dinner on Saturday night. The outdoor patio is a must. The only disappointment was that I asked twice- once when making a reservation and once to the host while we were there- for a birthday candle in our dessert. We were assured that there would be, but it was missed. A bummer but oh well, will still highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner!!JdubDined on 9/21/2014Incredible apps , octopus and corn croquettes -perfection. As always best burger in Napa Valley, the addition of bone marrow is a must. Incredible service by back waiters and our beautiful and talented server Aimee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful vibe!KatarinaVIPDined on 9/20/2014Goose and Gander is a happening place. It has a great vibe in all three main areas: upstairs dining room, bar downstairs, and outside. Comfortable, casual, spacious, and quality décor with a duck club feel and view on to the kitchen upstairs. There is energy aplenty, but thank goodness it is not deafeningly noisy. The food was solid, and our server - Shelly - was wonderful. Very nice they have an elevator for handicapped friends. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Experiencethm3Dined on 9/19/2014Food was excellent. Pork T Bone was incredible. Would definitely go again and again.Special Features:
- Good Spot in Wine CountryWinecountryfoodieVIPDined on 9/19/2014First visit to Goose & Gander was very good. Their signature cocktails were outstanding and very creative. The restaurant had a very comphensive selection of appetizers and main courses. The choices made by our group of 5 were all excellent, ranging from sturgeon to osso bucco. A special note was the quality of service. Our server (Colin) was one of the best table servers we have seen in quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience and foodFoodiefamilyDined on 9/16/2014In St Helena there are plenty of restaurants and bars for tourist. This place is off the beaten path but has all the ambience and food of many of the "famous" restaurants. I will return often...Special Features:
- Martini house reduxOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/13/2014While I was very disappointed in the demise of Martini House, Goose and Gander more than adequately fills those shoes. The food is delicious using fresh local ingredients in very innovative combinations. The fried olives were fabulous! The service was a little less than professional but very friendly. And what a delight to be able to eat outside. I did miss the drama of the interior design of Martini house.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphereBinaDined on 9/13/2014Goose and Gander has become one of my top restaurants to visit. My recent visit was during lunch time which turned out to be quite relaxing and quiet. Our server was on top of everything and made sure we were comfortable. I can never get tired of the appetizers here, especially the olives and pistachios (my absolute favorite). I would recommend everyone to try the G&G BurgerSpecial Features:
- Our G&G experienceFoodieEricDined on 9/12/2014We arrived at dusk to a beautiful outdoor table in a nice, casual setting. The food was good - I had their Spanish Grilled Octopus for an appetizer and it was delicious. The burgers are excellent as was the Cucumber Collins drink. Our service was very slow though; patrons who sat down well after us were having their dessert plates cleared long before our entrees arrived and they weren't very apologetic about it. While you can't expect them to match the experiences at places like Meadowood, excellent service should come no matter the price of the meal and we weren't very satisfied with theirs. With all the dining options available in the Napa area, you can probably find somewhere better at their price pointSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great outdoor ambiance and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Great outdoor seating, cute cellar bar, though a bit loud. Extensive drink list. Duck fat fried fries were amazing. Wife had the clam fettuccine which was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another fine visitVintagedinerVIPDined on 9/9/2014We return here regularly, knowing we'll get friendly service and carefully-prepared food. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet outside diningsantarosan70Dined on 9/5/2014We drove over the hill from Sonoma County to celebrate my husband's birthday with an afternoon lunch. We had had dinner previously at Goose and Gander and been hoping to return and share it with other family members. Not only was the food outstanding and the wait staff very attentive, we never felt rushed and were able to enjoy a leisurely lunch. We also appreciated the quiet since some of us have a hearing loss. We look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- Dinner Reviewindiana007Dined on 9/4/2014Overall a pleasant experience, and the food was overall tasty. Our favorite was the shrimp appetizer. The grassfed burger could have been very good, but was charred too much and tasted burned in some parts. The steak with the creamed spinach sauce underneath was weird. We did expect a bit more, but overall the experience was a good one. PS: We did come the day before for the $ 1 oysters, and they were excellent.Special Features:
- Great outdoor diningrtpivVIPDined on 9/2/2014My wife and I had a great meal outside at Goose & Gander. We started with the cheese-stuffed dates (my wife says she can still taste them), followed by a starter each. She got the scallops; I got the octopus. Both were fantastic. We closed it out by sharing a wonderful burger. The bar is supposed to offer the best cocktails around. Their bar menu is about forty pages. The ones we had were very good.Special Features:
- ObsessedRobynVIPDined on 8/31/2014So generally places like Mustards and Rutherford Grill get all the love, but just down the road, Goose and Gander is TOP NOTCH- and not to be missed. It's our favorite little neighborhoody-but-still-feels-special dinner spot. And the chef always makes some amazing off-menu vegetarian entree that is so good, you wake up the next morning wishing you had leftovers. This is the kind of restaurant you plan your evening around. The food is outstanding, the bar is super fun, the outdoor space is beautiful, the cocktail list is creative... couldn't ask for more!Special Features:
- Great Service; Friendly PlaceFusionFiendVIPDined on 8/31/2014Really enjoyed the visit to Goose & Gander. Have been meaning to try the restaurant for months, but haven't had the chance. The restaurant is friendly, lively and has terrific food options. Really thought the fried olives and pistachios were a oddity, but really enjoyed them. They worked well together. The waiter was knowledgeable; had a great sense of humor; and was quite welcoming. I believe his name was Colin. Really enjoyed seeing the staff working in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Average and ordinaryjaz2020VIPDined on 8/30/2014Nothing bad (except for 1 dish) but nothing memorable either. Menu identical to 75% of Wine Cty restaurants but there are others who do it better (and admittedly some who do it much worse). Charcuterie platter and mushroom bisque were best; worst was a sturgeon past its prime which I sent back. But this was less than a week after the 2014 South Napa Quake, so they might have had supply or turnover issues. Service was pleasant but also average. Patio is nice in summer.Special Features:
- Great dinner!JdubDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful and tasty cocktails. Apps corn fritters , meat balls, and prawns. Probably the best burger in all of napa valley topped with bone marrow! Absolutely amazing service by our lovely waitress Aimee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceMelPDined on 8/29/2014Visiting Napa with a large group and Goose & Gander was able to accommodate our evening and more. Starting with the downstairs bar and an impressive list of craft cocktails - they were delicious with gorgeous presentation in a cozy atmosphere. Moving on to a wonderfully spacious booth for dinner - we experienced a fabulous menu, gracious and informed service and were allowed to bring our own bottles of wine to accompany the meal. Would be very quick to recommend to others and look forward to returning on my next visit to Napa.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't avoid the side streetspalmdesertdogDined on 8/27/2014Great fun! Their specialty drinks list was a good way to start. Started with heirloom tomato salad done a little differently. Served with mushrooms and on a bed of ricotta. Excellent. Dinners were equally good. Nice experience.Special Features: