Goose & Gander
1245 Spring Street
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Goose & Gander
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://goosegander.com/
- Phone: (707) 967-8779
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday 12-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Goose & Gander
Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Goose & Gander - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Goose & Gander reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (135)fit for foodies (119)neighborhood gem (98)vibrant bar scene (76)romantic (62)notable wine list (60)good for groups (60)special occasion (60)hot spot (48)great for lunch (47)late-night find (27)great for brunch (18)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (6)Show More
- Disappointing ExperienceDesertGirlVIPDined on 11/17/2014We knew of this location because of the old Martini House which was consistently excellent. Experienced Goose & Gander for the first time in October 2013 and everything about it was fantastic. Food, setting, service, ambiance, special drinks, meal quality, presentation. However, our visit this past week November of 2014 it was like a completely different restaurant. The flat iron steak was tough and over-cooked. The menu left a lot to be desired. The specialty drinks tasted like there wasn't a drop of alcohol in them. Our server wasn't rude, but was less than enthused with his job. The music was horrific and ruined the ambiance that used to make this place special. Seems more like a billiards sports bar with the experience we had, except it was missing the pool tables. Disappointing experience, to say the least.
- Visiting from NYClindsDined on 11/16/2014We absolutely loved it. Everything was delicious and the cocktails were unreal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually great, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/16/2014One of our favorites. Came early for dinner (5:00 PM) after visiting Pride Mountain Winery and our visit coincided with a staff meeting (during dinner time). Service was fair at best and we were never properly entered into their reservation system. Open Table notified us that we had been "no shows". Not an O.T. issue; fault lies with G & G. Food was good as usual although a medium prime rib came as rare. We will definitely return but not at 5:00 PM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- travelforfoodDined on 11/10/2014The menu was somewhat limited. Sat near open kitchen and majority of entrees were hamburger. Flat iron steak cooked well, but unadorned. Salmon nondescript.
- Great night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014We had a group of 6 people and each of us said we would return. We chose to forgo our table upstairs for a table downstairs in the bar. Great decision! The fried olives and pistachio appetizer was memorably delicious! I had the salmon and ate every bite. A couple others had the burger (one thought it was too greasy and the other person loved it because of the greasiness). The cocktail list is a little pricey at $13-15 a drink but I thought it was worth the cost. I had their version of a Moscow Mule and my friends had old fashioneds. Overall great meal and ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spotdine4funDined on 11/8/2014We ate outside and the space is lovely, food and service was great, it was a busy Saturday night and they managed the crowd well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREATcocktailsDined on 11/8/2014We went to G&G on the afternoon before our evening dinner reservation, just to check it out. We were visiting from out of town. Didn't think I'd EVER get my husband out of there! The bar is in the basement, yet has a GREAT kind of "old world" meets "trendy" atmosphere. The restaurant is in an old Craftsman style house with lots of dark paneling and a lovely fireplace even downstairs in the bar. The list of cocktails was mind-boggling and very creative. The bartenders were friendly and very forthright in sharing their recipes with us. Very good quality spirits. We had a great dinner that night and spent time in the bar afterwards, and again the next afternoon (no, we're NOT achoholics!!). Just felt very welcome and comfortable there. Our only negative experience was when we were seated for dinner outside. We were intially seated at a table just outside the door right next to an area where the servers bustled from the kitchen. VERY active and not condusive to an enjoyable evening, especially considering I'd made reservations a month earlier. However, when we asked to be moved, we were quickly accomodated to a table further outside on the main patio, which was very nice. Just too bad we had to ask! We left our appetizer choices to our server, Auri, and the shrimp he selected was REALLY GOOD, as were the meals we chose. We can't wait to go back and have already recommended it to our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Meal and Great Wine ListDennisDined on 11/2/2014It was our first time at G&G. Reviews were positive so tried it for ourselves. We had a great time and reviews were accurate. We started at the Bar downstairs and had seats at the bar to watch the magic of the mixologists. After drinks, we went upstairs to be seated inside, a bit cool outside. My wife had the signature grilled Octopus salad and I had the baby arugula salad. I tried a taste of the grilled Octopus and may come back soon just for that salad, smoky flavor from grilling over oak fire, tender with just the right amount of dressing. For the main course we had Sturgeon and Pork T-Bone. Both were outstanding. We chose a bottle of Pisoni Pinot Noir from Gary's Vineyard, a perfect pairing.Special Features:
- As good as promisedEATS4BB3VIPDined on 10/30/2014Took my niece (the CIA student) because she heard G&G had good burgers, indeed, they do. The Arugula & Asian Pear salad, and the Grilled California Sturgeon were excellent. The Peanut Butter Chocolate Tarte had TOO MUCH chocolate and not enough peanut butter for MY taste. Our server, Dwight, was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply a MustGeneqVIPDined on 10/30/2014Guess what....great exotic cocktails in the middle of the wine country. That's the bonus that goes along with a delightful menu. Our group of four started with a couple of Cucumber Collins which were as lovely as they were refreshing, a champagne blush, and the best Arnold Palmer I ever had. We treated ourselves to the roasted bone marrow and the crispy olives. These two dishes alone made us want to return to try all the other starter dishes. The arugula pear prosciutto salad along with the cream of mushroom soup was one splendid lunch choice while the rest of us enjoyed on of the best burgers ever teamed with duck fat fries. Cannot wait to return to try the more adventurous offerings. You cannot go wrong here.Special Features:
- Oysters and pateClpskiDined on 10/29/2014My husband had oysters and we shared a meat platter and a cheese platter with a bottle of wine instead of having a full dinner. Everything was great including the service. We sat outside and enjoyed the warm evening and sunset. We went several nights later and had a great dinner including great service again. Portions are large and the food is very good. The pate is homemade and out of this world. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Beautiful, comfy, but limitedDateNightVIPDined on 10/25/2014Food was solid. Beautiful presentation & flavor. Only downside is a somewhat limited menu. Lots a meat choices not much else. Very cozy ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cocktailsFoodmanVIPDined on 10/24/2014The food was interesting and different. Chef almost seemed as if he was trying too hard Lots of meat and preparations with meats and fat Not a lot of non-meat options The bar tenders were creative and amazing...probably the highlightSpecial Features:
- great serviceTobyfoodieDined on 10/24/2014When we book our reservation we stated that it was our aniversary, well big surprise that every body in the restaurant known that we were celebrating! Got champagne, dessert and more things courtesy of the restaurant! Then we decide to go the bar and the ambience was awsome! Great drinks and njce people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great o-t spot n Saint HeleaBillVIPDined on 10/24/2014Great spot in he summer for outdoor dining, or winter indoors. The staff is attentive but no overbearing.Special Features:
- Local Gem!LuvFoodDined on 10/23/2014We dined twice here this week and really enjoyed both our lunch and dinner! The options were imaginative and tasty!Special Features:
- Pleasant end of day of wine tastingMiltonDined on 10/22/2014Fun appetizers, great mushroom soup, convivial atmosphere.Special Features:
- I just got a miss..DS360Dined on 10/18/2014I think normally this restaurant would be great. I think we just hit a bad patch with the kitchen. I heard they are famous for their burgers. 3 of us ordered them. All were bone dry and burned. If cooked properly I'm sure they would have been awesome. Very thick. But I think the line cook just had a bad patch. Overall seemed like a nice place. Service was good. My one-time experience with the food wasn't super hot, however.
- Great place!TravellerDined on 10/15/2014Eclectic bar feel- very cool. Great drinks.. The food was great the atmosphere was great and all the staff were frindly and eager to please! We really enjoyed our whole experience at the G&G!Special Features:
- Beautiful patio with gastropub foodottawamirchiDined on 10/13/2014You can sit out amongst the flowers on the patio, soak in Napa on a local level, and eat some glorious food. A succulent burger with bone marrow, and the corn croquettes with a smooth red pepper aioli were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stupendous!JonelDined on 10/11/2014We made plans to have late lunch after sone wine tasting at the recommnedation of my sister who has visited the restaurant many times & knows the owner. She was dead on with her recommendation my friends & I loved the food & the service was perfect. I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently greatSergeiSaysVIPDined on 10/10/2014I'm a regular and never disappointed. Consistently high caliber in all ways - service, ambiance, food. A never miss!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feel good serviceOutside42Dined on 10/10/2014We were well taken care of in an unpretentious manner - creative cocktails and high quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfortable StylehelenagrubberDined on 10/10/2014Went on a Friday nite rather early, not to crowded. Had great service from a nice gentlemen. We ordered a couple Old Fashion's, they were large and yummy. My husband even ordered another to go with our burger. I had a glass of cold Chardonnay. We ordered the shrimp with polenta appetizer as well as the cheese and salami sampler, both were fantastic. The shrimp still had the shells on them so be careful, a little messy. We split the hamburger with duck fries and thoroughly enjoyed it! I would recommend this resturant, a lot on the younger crowd shows up here.Special Features:
- Great cocktails...will be backCbDSmDDined on 10/9/2014We stopped in for cocktails and appetizers before heading to another spot for dinner. The Bali old fashioned was great and the portion was better than I expected. Sometimes with specialty cocktails you wind up with a giant ice cube and 2oz of liquor. Not the case here, great drink. Our server was knowledgable and very friendly. We will definitely be back the next time we are in St. Helena for a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TandTVIPDined on 10/9/2014We were greeted at the door and taken to a very nice spot in the garden. The service was very good. We are locals but had not been here to eat. Some neighbors recommended it. The food was very good. The mushroom soup was so rich I couldn't eat it all but it was delicious! The fried olives were a nice way to start our meal. My husband had the special steak sanwich dip. It was huge and he didn't finish it but loved the au jus to dip into. I finished off with the arugala salad. Great find. We will return to try other items on the menu. Nice cocktail choices. We stuck with wine but will definitely return at cocktail hour one day soon. Thanks for a great lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good and FriendlyGeorgeDined on 10/7/2014This restaraunt was recommeded to us by someone who likes good food, and they did not disapoint us. The courtyard is great for spending time and they have a decesent wine list. The owners are walking around to make sure everything is correct, that shows the attentinion to detal that comes out in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Always a wonderful experiencecphsfVIPDined on 10/6/2014I've gone to Goose & Gander many times at the bar, but only once or twice for a full dinner. This last experience, we were able to sit outside on a gorgeous Napa Valley evening. The house made pasta with clams and chorizo were to die for, and even something as 'simple' as chicken is incredible. The drinks always take a bit of time, but when you taste them you realize why: slowly handcrafted with incredibly fresh ingredients. Wonderful.Special Features:
- Love the burgerVllyGrlDined on 10/4/2014Our group took a break fro wine tasting to enjoy lunch here. They were very accommodating to large groups, as we had 8 people. The burger is phenomenal and so were the prawns. Meat and cheese plates were a great starter...the pate was delicious.Special Features:
- FairFoodandwinegirlDined on 10/3/2014This was recommended to us, so we were excited to try something casual but delicious. The food was mediocre...nothing special. The service was nothing to write home about. I had hoped for more and was disappointed.
- Almost excellentNapaValleyFoodieVIPDined on 10/3/2014We dined at G&G for my partner's birthday. I told the hostess who confirmed the reservation AND the hostess upon arrival that it was her birthday. I expected only a candle in our dessert, not a Mariachi band, but it didn't happen! The food was very good, but the rosé was served at room temperature. It should have been properly chilled or I actually should have just refused it. It took our entire meal to cool off, and I went for several minutes with an empty glass waiting for service. Not good. Some of us living in St. Helena know food and wine and have reasonable (or high) expectations from a high-end restaurant like G&G. The mushroom soup was superb as always, and the salmon was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in St. HelenaTampaHoosierVIPDined on 10/2/2014This was our first visit to Goose & Gander and what a pleasant surprise. The downstairs bar offers great ambiance and exquisitely crafted cocktails. We dined outside in a beautiful setting underneath a persimmon tree. The muted din of music and the conversation of others around us was not overwhelming and made conversing easy without seeming too quiet or stuffy. The wine list is well curated with a good, but not overly large, selection of high quality wines at many different price points. We ordered several small plates in lieu of a more traditional lineup. Everything was expertly prepared and plated. All dishes were absolutely delicious but two days later we are still talking about how wonderful the spanish octopus was.Special Features:
- GreatfamouswineDined on 10/2/2014Great lunch! Been there for many dinners but this was the first time for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in NapaFoodie1984Dined on 9/30/2014The service is excellent. The food is delicious. Their pork chop is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMollyDined on 9/28/2014Good service, good food, beautiful setting. The only small thing was the loud music which they turned down after a couple a requests. Otherwise a very nice fine dining experience. Would recommend to anyone. Plus they have a very cozy bar downstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014The food, always great. The service, always lacking. Server was very nice but very slow in everything she did. Unfortunately, the service does keep me away, I don't dine at G&G as often as I would if the service was better.Special Features:
- Everything great!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/27/2014Really enjoyed our dinner on Saturday night. The outdoor patio is a must. The only disappointment was that I asked twice- once when making a reservation and once to the host while we were there- for a birthday candle in our dessert. We were assured that there would be, but it was missed. A bummer but oh well, will still highly recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dinner!!JdubDined on 9/21/2014Incredible apps , octopus and corn croquettes -perfection. As always best burger in Napa Valley, the addition of bone marrow is a must. Incredible service by back waiters and our beautiful and talented server Aimee!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful vibe!KatarinaVIPDined on 9/20/2014Goose and Gander is a happening place. It has a great vibe in all three main areas: upstairs dining room, bar downstairs, and outside. Comfortable, casual, spacious, and quality décor with a duck club feel and view on to the kitchen upstairs. There is energy aplenty, but thank goodness it is not deafeningly noisy. The food was solid, and our server - Shelly - was wonderful. Very nice they have an elevator for handicapped friends. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great Experiencethm3Dined on 9/19/2014Food was excellent. Pork T Bone was incredible. Would definitely go again and again.Special Features: