Goose & Gander
1245 Spring Street
Saint Helena, CA 94574Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Goose & Gander
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://goosegander.com/
- Phone: 7079678779x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday through Thursday 12-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Goose & Gander
Goose & Gander is a charming restaurant in St. Helena, located in Walter Martini's historic 1920 bungalow. Lunch & Dinner is served daily in the basement bar, the dining room, & in the garden. Goose & Gander is a wine country public house and a local favorite, as well as the perfect spot to host events up to 100 people.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Goose & Gander - Best Restaurants in St. Helena ›
Goose & Gander reviews from OpenTable diners
163 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (127)fit for foodies (100)neighborhood gem (69)romantic (54)special occasion (52)great for lunch (51)notable wine list (49)vibrant bar scene (48)good for groups (44)hot spot (25)great for brunch (24)late-night find (19)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (5)Show More
- ArugulaDined on 8/18/2014While vacationing, we stumbled upon Goose and Gander on a side street and ventured in because of the cozy patio. Our dinner and waitress were so fabulous that we returned later in the week for a special occasion. Again, we were very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant in NapaWhittersDined on 8/17/2014we had a delicious meal and amazing cocktails from the downstairs bar. We sat outside for dinner and loved the feel of the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great device and fantastic foodchristinefromboDined on 8/16/2014This is my 4th trip to Goose and Gander, and it never disappoints. Wonderful atmosphere, great cocktails, really interesting and beautifully prepared food. Our server was enthusiastic and attentive, and the general manager, Marcus, made us feel right at home!Special Features:
- G & G ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014Great spot for both cocktails and food. Fun, top notch service, friendly staff, charming atmosphere inside and out.Special Features:
- Deserves its popularityfarm2faceDined on 8/14/2014One of the two best patio-dining spots in town, with a creative cocktail list and dependably good food. The downstairs bar is cozy but lively and full of atmosphere - can be crowded but that's part of the fun. Good wine list too - but I wish they had more wines available by the glass and those that are tend to be pricey ($18 for a glass is high in my world). That's the only reason I'm giving it four instead of five stars. We love to take people to G&G and I recommend it often.Special Features:
- ExcellentVisitorDined on 8/10/2014Everything was great. Will def return. Wonderful food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd time in a week!CotatiKevinDined on 8/9/2014G&G was such a cool experience that I invited a friend up with me in a week. She was impressed.Special Features:
- A must visit in Napa / St. HelenaEdeVVIPDined on 8/3/2014This gem of a restaurant has amazing food, the valley's best cocktails and live music on Sundays. Sit outside or in and enjoy!Special Features:
- Uber Cool!!!CotatiKevinDined on 8/2/2014This is proof that San Francisco is the only place for foodies and ambiance. My best friend is in SF and is hesitant to travel to Sonoma county which is where I live, so when he comes up I try some really cool digs to make it worth its while. SUCCESS!!Special Features:
- Splatt545Dined on 8/1/2014Food was good but our server was snarky and seemed to have an "edgy" comment to everything we asked. Perhaps he was trying to be friendly/familiar, but it was unwelcome and inappropriate, especially because we were celebrating a birthday. No need for us to go back to G & G and we will recommend our friends not to go there.Special Features:
- Expensive but Worth ItNVoldieDined on 8/1/2014From entering the door to leaving, the staff was the best we've encountered;friendly, warm, professional... The menu seemed standard, but the surprise was in the flavor parings and presentations. Delicious, generous, creative. Never have had fettuccine like it and was just the perfect amount of sauce; not saturated in cream sauce, just right for us.Special Features:
- WineandDineDined on 8/1/2014Fantastic burger! Would high recommend the fries as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burger and Fries!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Everything looked so good on the menu, the fish, the pasta, everything. But I had to try the burger, with bone marrow, and the side of duck fat fries. The most welcomed food comma of my trip!Special Features:
- Easy EveningmichelleVIPDined on 7/31/2014Loved sitting on the patio at Goose and Gander. We had loved Martini House and when we found ourselves back in St Helena we were looking forward to going again. Now it's Goose and Gander. The food was very good, the waiter was attentive until the end of the evening when we had to chase him down.......... The cheese plate was great, the mushroom soup was excellent and quite filling and the fried Chicken Salad had enough fried chicken on it to stop me from ordering "dinner" which was perfect for me that evening. Loved sitting in the courtyard under the trees. Will try it again on our next trip to St. Helena.Special Features:
- First visit ho humKirklandboyVIPDined on 7/29/2014Most of the plates came drenched in oil or butter. There were long delays between course, took forever to get appetizers. Had to ask for bread to accompany salads (might be carb phobia motivating this, not sure). The main courses were pretty good. Wouldn't put on my list of must return places.
- A Great Sunday NightMTnBatDined on 7/27/2014Went there on a Sunday night and had a great experience on the patio. The wait staff were very accommodating and gave us some useful recommendations for things to do and other restaurants to try. We started with their delicious bread and a nice glass of wine. Followed that with a fantastic octopus appetizer...I would go back for that alone! The sturgeon and prime rib that followed were excellent and the strawberry shortcake was to die for. We will definitely make a return visit the next time we are in the Napa area. The bar in the lower section looked like a great hangout spot and we will give that a try the next time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingbaculumDined on 7/26/2014We're food-value snobs. We favor 1 or 2 dollar signs with 3 or 4 star ratings. This place was absolutely great: food, service, comfort, price. Will definitely return when in Napa (from San Francisco).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service non existentFoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014Excellent food we've been to the restaurant 8 times. Our waiter had gone AWOL . We sat in the garden which is lovely but had to wave him over to get attention. Please work on this as we want to come back but will give it only one more trySpecial Features:
- AmazingWinofoodieDined on 7/23/2014Outstanding cocktails!! The beat we've ever had. Amazing ambience and friendly service team. Food was incredible, unique, fun and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must while in St. Helena!rockersVIPDined on 7/23/2014I have just enjoyed my 4'th visit at Goose and Gander. Each time I consider eating at an establishment in St. Helena, I attempt to branch out, but I always come back to the Goose. I am a great fan of the grilled octopus and sturgeon. This time I ordered the sturgeon but decided to mix it up a bit with the roasted dates "bites" stuffed with Gorgonzola. What a treat! Then dessert, where do I begin! Strawberries resting on cookies, topped by a whipped cream that was refreshingly not sweet and so let the strawberries shine on their own. If you have never tried a Moscow Mule, this may be your new drink. The Goose has other specialty drinks, but if you appreciate a strong Ginger Beer, you won't be disappointed in this.Special Features:
- Sunday night prime ribVinfanDined on 7/20/2014At $25, the Sunday prime rib is a solid deal: a healthy slab of beef, Yorkshire pudding, mashed potatoes, fresh veg and a terrific arugula salad. Begin with one of their superb specialty cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bites and BitesWaytogoVIPDined on 7/16/2014The vast variety of appetizer got the meal started very nicelySpecial Features:
- gdeatingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2014Menu was minimal on entrees and fair in taste. appetizers were interesting and better in taste. Hopefully this is a meter of growing pains and filling the shoes of the Martini House.
- Best Burger in Napa ValleypinotguyDined on 7/9/2014We have dined here several times and all of the entrees are very good. But their house burger with cheese and smoked bacon is just a truly amazing and rich lunch! And their duck fat fries, while not tasting of anything duck-like, are just excellent. Service is both low key and very good. Ambiance is fine for both inside and outside dining. Corkage is a reasonable $15 for each bottle. The burger is very filling and very rich and, if consumed for lunch, should lead to a very light dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/8/2014Always wonderful food. Service never quit hits the mark, nice but always a bit lacking in service. Outside dining, a nice spot, patio chairs a bit uncomfortable.Special Features:
- Another Spring Street GemHappyVIPDined on 7/5/2014Loved Martini House. Love Goose and Gander. We had an excellent waiter. The wine list is very nice and well priced. The cocktails are inventive and tasty. The food is just lovely. I had the clams with fettucine and it was hands down the best dish of pasta I've ever had. Will go back - but next time and night and sit inside. Shade only goes so far to keep you cool in Napa Valley in the summer!Special Features:
- AwesomeLovelyTXDined on 7/1/2014The food was fantastic. The service was good. Loved the patio!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great garden, food not so muchTatyanaVIPDined on 7/1/2014We sat in their gorgeous garden and it was very nice. However, the food was just OK: the salad was overdressed and too vinegar-y, the octopus came out charred black (really, kitchen? You'd send this out to paying customers?), the fish and burger were OK. Waiter kept trying to push cocktails and wine, even though we told him we didn't want to drink extra between all the wine tastings. Music outside was way too loud. So, lots of areas need improvement if they want to keep up with the big boys of Napa.Special Features:
- FABULOUS!YumyumDined on 6/30/2014This place is a must go to! Excellent and extremely creative cocktails at an affordable price. We let our server pick our dinner and everything was incredible. Swordfish was cooked perfectly, Mushroom soup is OUT OF THIS WORLD...a carryover from Martini House. You can eat inside, outside, in the cozy old school bar downstairs, it's got a place for whatever your mood. A+ for food, drink, location, styleSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable DinnerJKM79Dined on 6/29/2014My wife and I had an enjoyable dinner here last week. The burger was very good, but messy (best eaten with a knife and fork I think), as was the octopus we shared as an appetizer.Special Features:
- DisappointingNeighborDined on 6/29/2014This is a difficult review for me to write because we like this restaurant very much but we had a disaster of an evening. We went there on my wife's birthday because of a number of lovely evenings there previously. Unfortunately, it was one of the hottest evenings of year so we opted to sit inside. Big mistake. Noisy and poor service. Started well but when my wife's clam dish came, clams were served on congealed pappardelle pasta rather than fettuccine as stated on menu. When we pointed this out to the waiter, he was indifferent. Hostess stopped when she noticed my wife not eating and she said that it was "wide" fettuccine. It was wide but not f. Waiter also forgot 2 items I ordered and then forgot one of them again after I pointed it out.Special Features:
- DateNightDined on 6/29/2014The G&G burger was outstanding ! Duck fat fries the best everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seatfood and MarrowsfjeffDined on 6/28/2014The shrimp, octapus, and muscles were all amazing, and I'm not even a huge seafood fan. The burger was great, but only if you get it with marrow, otherwise it's just average.Special Features:
- DinnerLizzDined on 6/28/2014Evidently they were working on their wine list, so the waiter gave us the wines by the glass verbally. We were quite surprised to find out the sub-par wine was $18 a glass. In the future they should give us the prices as well.Special Features:
- It has it all!LOL1986Dined on 6/28/2014We arrived early for our reservation, was escorted to outside table. Lovely patio and then our server appeared, was delightful! He explained the menu completely and we ordered the special "BLT" that was delivered with an egg on top of fried green tomatoes, crisp bacon, arugula and english muffin plus fresh farm to table side salad. We also ordered off the menu the Fried Chicken Wedge Salad. The chicken was tasty and the traditional wedge was fresh and with great dressing. Highly recommend this spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Outdoor DiningnapavalleynativeDined on 6/28/2014Really enjoy the beautiful outdoor dining area only steps away from St. Helena's bustling and scenic downtown - terrific ambience, wonderful food - I especially enjoy their daily specials and the burger with duck fat fries is not to be missed! Entrees can be on the pricey side so I mainly stick with the sandwiches and salads - but their special cocktails are absolutely amazing and worth the splurge!Special Features:
- Napa Valley RelaxesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/26/2014A great spot to sit under the trees and relax with excellent service after a day in the Napa Valley. We are locals and have never been disappointed by this restaurant. They deliver great food and wonderful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definately a FindSteamnpcDined on 6/26/2014We enjoyed dinner June 26, dining in the garden. The service was very good--the food, excellent. We were particularly impressed wit the mushroom soup and the meatball appetizer. My guest had not ordered an opening course to match my soup but she was served a small cup of the soup--a very thoughtful gesture. I also appreciated the wait-server repeating the ingredients of each dish as it was served. The menu does an excellent job here but the reminder on arrival was another nice touch showing care for our experience. We certainly will return and highly recommend this restaurant among St. Helena's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goose and Gander is terrific!DisappointedVIPDined on 6/26/2014We've been to Goose and Gander on our semi-annual week stays in the Napa Valley and it continues to maintain a delicious and interesting menu, great service and, the last time, was quite friendly to our grandson. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/26/2014The Goose and Gander was recommended to us from a frequent traveler to wine country. The recommendation was spot on. Great service and food. Scallops and pork chop were superb. We will be back on our next trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.