The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.goodstone.com/
- Phone: (540) 687-3333
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Champagne Brunch: 12-2pm
Open seven days a week.
Children over the age of 8 are welcome for dining.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Leonard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Goodstone Inn & Restaurant will cater to all of your needs - big and small. (Advance notice of such requests is required.) In addition, Goodstone offers an impressive Wine Cellar Dining Room featuring an extensive collection of vintages from Virginia and around the world, and the elegant Manor House for intimate, catered events on the estate.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of nine to twelve are invited to take part in a one-of-a-kind experience in our cellar. A custom menu with wines paired will be created for your group. The experience will be tailored to your party's particular tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Boyer, Director of Sales 540-687-3333x
A word from The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant features a refined approach to French Country cuisine keeping to traditional and classical techniques. The innovative farm-to-table cuisine and the pastoral setting on a 265-acre estate in Virginia's wine and hunt country provide a unique dining experience for restaurant guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (60)romantic (53)fit for foodies (49)scenic view (38)notable wine list (25)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- MjfoodiesDined on 11/14/2014Everything was excellent. The Chateaubriand was outstanding. Great poached lobster for appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent place to go when money isn't a concern.Tuliplady1234Dined on 11/14/2014The food was presented with class and tasted wonderful. We will be going back for Thanksgiving dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very close to true 5 star diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Expensive and well worth it. The quiet ambiance, the fresh ingredients, the exquisite flavors, the attention to detail....says it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing lunchOnyxVIPDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I decided to head out to Goodstone for lunch on Veteran's Day. Lovely drive to Middleburg, then a couple miles on narrow gravel roads, not easy to get to, but OH so worth it. We ordered the Chef's surprise lunch, They ask to make sure you aren't allergic or dislike certain things, then they bring you a special lunch. Started with an incredible crab and truffle risotto, SOOO creamy and absolutely delicious. Followed by a salad with a strawberries, arugula, balsamic reduction and the MOST amazingly creamy and mild goat cheese, Followed by sea scallops with fingerling potatoes and broccoli florets with a lemon brown butter sauce. So perfectly prepared, melt in your mouth scallops. Lastly a wildberry shortcake with lemon curds and berry coulis. Amazing. Truly one of the best meals I've had in a very long time. And the best part, the Chef's surprise menu is a good deal, All 4 courses for $49.00. For food that fresh, and amazingly prepared, I think it was a steal. We'd like to go back for dinner some time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebInFfxDebInFfxDined on 11/9/2014What an unbelievable gem ! The brunch food was incredible, the service prompt, quiet and unobtrusive and the price reasonable. Thoroughly enjoyed it and hope to return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/5/2014I am not an adventurous eater, but tried the chef's surprise 4 course lunch. The chef did a great job, knowing how adventurous to go. I was a bit surprised how salty a few items were, but overall had a wonderful time and it was delicious for a special anniversary lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/1/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place like a comfortable dining room in a friends home. Delicious food and impeccable service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening at Goodstone InntthomasVIPDined on 10/27/2014We loved everything about our meal Everything was perfectly prepared and service impeccable .Special Features:
- DCdinerDined on 10/27/2014We went to the Goodstone Restaurant for my husband's birthday. I had been trying to get into the Inn for a couple of years and finally made dinner reservations. The dining room and lounge by the fireplace are beautiful. We took a glass of champagne out by the pool to watch the sunset, and then went to the dining room for dinner. The food was a delight... and the service was perfect. I definitely recommend dining at the Goodstone Inn Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Beautiful SurpriseguestVIPDined on 10/22/2014I was delighted by everything! It is a beautiful country drive to get to the restaurant/inn, a roaring fire took the chill off the rainy day and we were greeted by a friendly hostess. We were lead into a charming, light-filled dining room with views of the countryside and a quaint cottage. My expectation of the food was surpassed by quality and beautiful presentation and they were discreet but kindly acknowledged our birthday celebration which was much appreciated. I can't wait to go back and this time I will stay overnight to enjoy the full experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic GemmedeDined on 10/21/2014The Goodstone was a lovely, quiet retreat for our anniversary dinner. The lobster appetizer was spectacular! The arugula and strawberry salad was fresh with an enticing mix of flavors. My husband and I had the Chateau Briand for 2. It was delicious. Perfectly prepared, tender, and flavorful. The staff were friendly and warm. We came after dark, but the dining room was romantic and cozy. There is apparently a beautiful daytime view...I wished we had had the time to return for an earlier dinner, but we were headed back to NY. This is a MUST eat at restaurant when in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit much betterGreatRecoveryDined on 10/17/2014My husband and I went here for restaurant week and had a not-so-enjoyable evening. However, the staff ensured our second visit was what we had expected and hoped for from an establishment of this caliber. I will definitely recommend this restaurant to people looking for a fine-dining experience with a scenic view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did we not know?PhilDined on 10/11/2014What a great find, just North of Middleburg, it ia a fine dining establishment with a great wait staff, subtle, helpful, friendly, unobtrusive, and attractive. A great menu, but we couldn't resist the Chateaubriand for two. On the Prix fix menu, with a bottle of Pinot Noir, it ran $300 (with tip). I say this to let you know that it was worth every penny. We can't do this often, but we'll do it as often as we can!Special Features:
- Bucket listGreatdiningmomentsDined on 10/11/2014I've had this on my bucket list for a couple of years now. We celebrated our 30th Anniversary by having a wonderful dining experience at The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant! What beautiful grounds and a hidden gem location for a magnificent restaurant! From the time we entered through the doors until our departure, we received impeccable service. We can't say enough fabulous things about the food presentation for the four course prix-fixe dinner which left us happily fulfilled. Every bite was simply amazing! We truly felt like time stood still in this hectic world we live in. Thank you for a wonderful 30th Anniversary dining experience and moment in life! I can check this off my bucket list in hopes of returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/7/2014Loved the atmosphere at Goodstone Inn. Food was great, service mostly good, it was QUIET (a real perk). Only problem was that the waiter didn't come by with an offer of more coffee, and when I asked, the coffee was served lukewarm. Also, he didn't any anyone else if she wanted a coffee refill.Special Features:
- BetsyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Dinner at Goodstone was a treat. The dining room is charming and serene, with beautiful views of the surrounding countryside. Service is friendly and impeccable. The food was delicious, especially the escargots which were prepared not in the traditional manner, but served out of the shell in a bowl with a wonderful tomato-based sauce. The Filet of beef and the trout were both excellently prepared. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- mbrittonDined on 10/4/2014This is our favorite restaurant of all time. The steak, whether is be Chateaubriand or filet mignon, is always cooked to perfection. That kind of tenderness where it melts in your mouth. The service is spectacular, and the ambiance is romantic. Every time my husband and I go, the experience from beginning to end is an everlasting memory that brings a smile to my face.Special Features:
- mbrentonDined on 10/2/2014We went to The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant for my wife's birthday, just family and friends and we were not disappointed. The dining room was lovely and the food and service were great. We had a lovely time.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerBdayDined on 10/1/2014I took my sweet wife here for her birthday and it was better than anything we could have thought. The romantic carriage house is perfect for dinner. We arrived early, ordered two glasses of wine and walked the beautiful property and watched as the sun lowered in the sky. We couldn't wait for the sunset because we had dinner reservations. The wine was perfect with our meal and the four courses could not have been better. We were able to talk and laugh and our server could not be more accommodating.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Amazing! Overall one of the best dining experiences we've had in a long time. The Sole and Lamb were both simply wonderful. Very friendly and attentive service too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming quite dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed the atmosphere and the Chateaubriand for two was outstanding. The food was excellent as was the service. My only complaint was the dessert menu which was uninspired, and the Almond Cherry Cake was a bust. We would dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodbrennyDined on 9/26/2014Delicious and perfect for an anniversary meal. The restaurant met our expectations. We enjoyed the duck -- perfectly done. The lamb shank was cooked well. The souffle, unfortubately, was overdone. Pumpkin creme Brulee was super food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Food excellent; service too cold and impersonal. Despite having to ask the waiter to repeat herself more than once, she did not clue into the fact that my husband could not hear her whisperings. Kudos on the space and food but next time please a waiter that is less faceless, a smile wouldn't hurt, and one that can read and accommodate a client's needs. (Maybe the waiter wasn't feeling well.) So while we love the Inn, which we've always thought is a great use of the farm and addition to the neighborhood, and we had a delicious dinner, the waiting lowered our overall experience.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in TownAshburnEricDined on 9/14/2014Had a great meal. The set menu offered many choices that sounded amazing, and comes with a free glass of champagne, mimosa or bloody mary. I made the mistake of ordering a second glass of champagne which cost $20 (gasp) but the meal really was the best I've had in a long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fineSugarDined on 9/3/2014Outstanding food and service - would definitely return if in area again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DanthemanDined on 9/2/2014I was expecting it to be better. The place looked a bit run down. The server was clearly a one man show...in fact I think he was the manager or possibly part owner
- Outstandingaussiegolfer66Dined on 9/2/2014Although the menu was limited the food my wife and I selected was so well done. I had the corn on the cob appertizer and the filet for my main and both were great. My wife just had the salad from the appertizer list as it was quiet large. Wine list was extensive, setting was nice, service was great. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Anniversary eventTDSinVADined on 8/28/2014My wife and I celebrated an anniversary event on a surprisingly busy Thursday evening. We started with wine at their bar while we relaxed and soaked in the ambiance of this Middleburg gem. Our supper featured two crisp salads with local grown vegetables, superb local cheeses, and a crisp Reisling, in preparation for the entrees. My wife had the Trout and I had the smoked duck breast. Nearly ate the plates and settings here- our entrees were delectable! For dessert we had a chocolate hazelnut mousse with vanilla ice cream and champagne, compliments of our sommelier. Service was excellent- we would not have known they were understaffed that evening by any flaw in presentation or responsiveness to our needs. A fine, memorable special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful anniversary dinner!nannerVIPDined on 8/26/2014My husband and I celebrated our anniversary by ordering the four course dinner. I began with the crab, avocado and grapefruit salad that had the perfect kick of spice. The house salad was delicious blue cheese, dates and pecans. My husband and I shared the Chateaubriand which was melt in your mouth with the best scalloped potatoes I have ever enjoyed. The lavender crème brulee for dessert I would highly recommend. The only criticism I would have is that they should have sliced a fresh lime for my vodka tonic. The lime that came with my drink was dried out.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/23/2014This was our first visit and had a wonderful time. Although the host was most helpful in seating us, the smell of cigarettes was very strong. For a restaurant of this quality, I don't believe it is the image they want.Special Features:
- Excellent Find in the CountryJohnDined on 8/19/2014We've made many trips to the Middleburg area and always enjoy the town and the restaurants. We had heard of Goodstone before, but never made the drive a few miles out of town, but we are glad we did, and we will definitely be back. Our lunches were superb, with very creative meals by the chef. Now we have to try the Inn and make our next stop an overnight stay and try dinner here.Special Features:
- leaferVIPDined on 8/18/2014Loved this place! Great find in Middleburg. Stephen and Rachael did everything possible to make my birthday birth special and memorable. Food was outstanding. I had the Dover sole, and my husband had the duck. Beautifully presented. Loved my lemon soufflé. We will return.
- Hidden GemblueflyiVIPDined on 8/17/2014Me and my friend went to try this place during restaurant week, I was hesitate to go due to some of the negative reviews, however, we went anyway, this place was amazing, the food was delicious and the service was very attentive. I'll definitely go back again with or without restaurant weekSpecial Features:
- Lovely.DaniVIPDined on 8/16/2014Had a lovely dinner last night at the Goodstone Inn. We headed out to Middleburg to visit some wineries and enjoy a off the beaten path restaurant week menu. Very small dining room that was absolutely pristine and lovely. The staff was top notch and everything went smoothly and quickly. The food was tremendous - we had the garlic veloute, heirloom tomato and burrata salad, veg risotto, and the pork loin. Very glad we made the trip out there - Middleburg was lovely and we definitely plan to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambiance, service lackingluv2bwowedDined on 8/16/2014As far as location and ambiance is concerned, this is a great place to eat. We had lunch there so it was daylight and I think that added to the pleasure - being able to look outside to a verdant view. I think they need to step up a bit on the service. While the efforts were OK, they did not rise to the level of the setting. The greeting at the front was nice but a little cool. The waitperson was OK, but somewhat snooty. For both our drinks and our food, the person bringing them did not know who ordered what. I have rarely encountered this - even in your everyday restaurants. My recommendation is to step up the efforts of the waitstaff to match the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Worth the DrivevirginiadinerVIPDined on 8/15/2014This was first time to Goodstone Inn and was drawn to it with Washington Restaurant Week. The setting was beautiful countryside and the Inn charming and historical. The ambiance was delightful, the service impeccable and the food and presentation exceptional. I plan to give a gift certificate to my Dad for upcoming significant birthday and definitely looking forward to a return visit. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Good food, beautiful locationDanielDined on 8/14/2014The grounds and restaurant are beautiful and well worth the drive. Dining room and lobby area are cozy and inviting. The food is well prepared and presented, including restaurant week items. Service could be a little more attentive, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/12/2014Quality food presented well, but it lacked taste. Our waitress made us feel unwelcome. This restaurant is definitely not worth the drive or time/money spent.
- dinner out in the countryjumpinjackVIPDined on 8/12/2014Excellent food in beautfull surroundings.Also great service.We had the price fix menu for restaurant week,not a lot of selections but each one was a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindFoodTravelerDined on 8/11/2014For Restaurant week a couple of friends decided to try something new. The Goodstone Inn was such a great find. It was very quaint and the food was awesome. I understand why they didn't allow more than 6 people in our reservation, however it wasn't crowded so I wish they would of just told us instead. However, we would definitely go again, best risotto dish I've tasted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.