The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.goodstone.com/
- Phone: 5406873333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Champagne Brunch: 12-2pm
Open seven days a week.
Children over the age of 8 are welcome for dining.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Leonard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Goodstone Inn & Restaurant will cater to all of your needs - big and small. (Advance notice of such requests is required.) In addition, Goodstone offers an impressive Wine Cellar Dining Room featuring an extensive collection of vintages from Virginia and around the world, and the elegant Manor House for intimate, catered events on the estate.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of nine to twelve are invited to take part in a one-of-a-kind experience in our cellar. A custom menu with wines paired will be created for your group. The experience will be tailored to your party's particular tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Boyer, Director of Sales 540-687-3333x
A word from The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant features a refined approach to French Country cuisine keeping to traditional and classical techniques. The innovative farm-to-table cuisine and the pastoral setting on a 265-acre estate in Virginia's wine and hunt country provide a unique dining experience for restaurant guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (61)romantic (56)scenic view (42)fit for foodies (41)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (15)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Wonderful ExperienceDetzerDined on 11/23/2013I came out to dine for a special event with my family. From the moment I walked up to the enchanting "Carriage House" the experience began. All of the staff were welcoming, opening the doors and taking our coats.We were wined and dinned by Rachel and even the restaurant manager Stephen. The Chateaubriand was cooked perfectly to my request and the flavors were wonderful. My mother had the Sea Bass which she is still raving about, while my father had the "Goodstone" lamb, which was delectable as well. Of course we indulged in a delicious chocolate souffle, it was everything you could ever want in a chocolate dessert. If you get the chance, you simply must come for dinner, you wont regret a single moment.Special Features:
- As always great food and friendlyjudyDined on 11/23/2013As always great food and friendly staff. Beautiful without stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedTessDined on 11/17/2013My husband took me to Goodstone for my birthday and I was looking forward to the chocolate hazlenut dessert. There were only 3 dessert choices for brunch (cheeses, sorbets or a traditional dessert) and they replaced the advertised chocolate dessert with a pear crumble. Not quite an equivalent swap and very disappointing. We got a glass of champagne with the brunch, but requested a second glass to celebrate. Were quite shocked at the $14 per glass price, especially considering it was a birthday celebration. Overall, it was a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful getawayPonnVIPDined on 11/11/2013My wife and I had a day off from work, with the kids in school, so we decided to have a grown-up lunch together. We dropped the top on the roadster and headed to the country roads of Loudoun County. This was our first time to the Goodstone, and we were impressed. We were expecting it to be quiet since it was a Monday lunch, and it was (many surrounding restaurants are closed on Mondays). We had the dining room to ourselves for most of the meal, but that is what we were after. Beautiful views through the windows of the dining room, and beautiful views on the plate. The Butternut Squash Soup and House Salad were excellent, and the entrees of the Steak Salad and the Scallop Risotto w/ Mushrooms were perfect. Dessert on our next visit.Special Features:
- Wonderful PlaceGlenDined on 11/8/2013Food and service was outstanding. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- A friend and I had a wonderfulbysigVIPDined on 11/3/2013A friend and I had a wonderful and relaxing Sunday brunch. The service and graciousness of all who work at Goodstone is top notch. Most items we had were delicious. We had steak and eggs benedict and the steak was not seasoned very much. Other than that we thought it a perfect place to enjoy. I look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- What a Mealredsun33VIPDined on 11/2/2013Simply said, one of the best meals we have had and the service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceKatrinkaDined on 11/2/2013Upon being seated we waited a minimum of 30 minutes before we were acknowledged and our water glasses filled. During this wait we watched other patrons being seated around us and their water glasses filled and welcomed. 15 minutes later the Matrie D asked for our beverage order. We waited another 10 minutes and he came back and asked if we were ready to order our dinner. We told him we had not received our beverages! 8 minutes later we had our beverages. We were then passed onto an actual waiter who took our dinner order....he was pleasant.Special Features:
- Looks great but no smilesLikeagoodmealDined on 11/2/2013Goodstone looks great but no one greets or serves you with a smile. Very unfriendly group. If you pay the high price then the service, greeting, and entrance/exit should should be excellent.
- ALWAYS A GREAT EXPERIENCE....ANDDONALDDined on 11/1/2013ALWAYS A GREAT EXPERIENCE....AND STEPHAN, THE NEW MANAGER, HAS ADDED TO THE GREATNESSSpecial Features:
- Special nightAggieDined on 10/30/2013The food was delicious, the service excellent and not overdone. We went on a Wed. night and it was quiet. This is our favorite rest. for special occasions, we are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Full of graceMorganVIPDined on 10/28/2013Backlit with a real roaring fire - flawless food, and incredibly subtle service. Stephen keeps a perfect pace of service and accommodates special requests every time. They remember your preferences and continue to offer the most sophisticated menu in Middleburg. Can't say enough good things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a fine dining establishment,dinrGirlDined on 10/27/2013For a fine dining establishment, the portions of the food were more than generous. First time there, and we will be back. Brunch was definitely a bargain and worth the beautiful trip out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heard a lot about this restaurantpowgoesdiningDined on 10/20/2013Heard a lot about this restaurant and was looking forward to a great meal. However, we were disappointed. The escargot was probably frozen for a long time. It was dry and was not flavorful. The pork was also a bit dry and the confit was overcooked. The green farro, however, was full of flavor and cooked perfectly. Even though the lamb was the better dish of the night it was not excellent. We waited at least 20 minutes before our beverage order was taken. There was only one server who also was the manager that night.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great service!YcatsmDined on 10/19/2013We had a great time and an amazing dinner. We had a $100 gift card to use so that made it somewhat affordable. Defiantly a good spot for a special occasion but very expensive and we could not afford to go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food allergies?JudeDined on 10/18/2013The food tasted delicious, was presented very well, and the service was excellent. When reserving online, I requested no dairy or olive oil (since tests have shown that they are a problem for me.) Also, I called a couple of days before the reserved date to mention the food allergies. They confirmed the information I wrote when requesting the reservation. I was hoping the waiter would know about the foods I needed to avoid, without me having to tell him & make a big deal over it. Not so. Why bother asking people ahead if you are not going to act on the request? Although everything else was very good, I was disappointed about my ingredient requests not being noted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Place !.LacomDined on 10/13/2013Food was excellent, service was perfect, good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience!DeliciousDined on 10/12/2013The food was outstanding, service exceptional, a wonderful evening! Chateaubriand exquisite... and for dessert...the crème brulee...magnifique! One suggestion: the location is out in the countryside. We visited on a very rainy evening. By the time we left, it was very dark and a little difficult to maneuver the road to the main highway. It might help to have reflectors along the small country road so that it would be easier for the travelers to negotiate the curvy road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchJanetDined on 10/6/2013Hubby and I went to Brunch to celebrate our Anniversary, the room is lovely, service was good and the food was wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will a moment spent atS2S2Dined on 9/29/2013You will a moment spent at the Inn, outstanding in all regards/standards!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service started out quiteDelacortaVIPDined on 9/28/2013Service started out quite slowly. We sat for too long without the waitress's attention. It took a long time to receive our drinks. We were well into the appetizers by then. The Chaeuabriand had to be returned to the kitchen. It did not resembe filet, but appeared to be another cut of meet and was overcooked. The fig dessert had a very poor pastry base. The trout entre was very good however. Generally, not up to the standard of a Relais et Chateaux , which was the reason we reserved during our visit. The service and food were not consistent with the price level.
- Slightly disappointedffxFoodieDined on 9/28/2013The service at this restaurant was sub par. We sat for long periods of time waiting to be serviced. It took 30 minutes to have our dinner orders taken. Wife enjoyed her meals. She ordered escargo and the trout. I was less impressed. I ordered the beer tartare and a pork dish. The mustard on the the beef tartare was too strong for me, but that is likely an ordering error on me. The pork dish had this flavor that I didn't care for. The dessert was good. I am a fan of traditional chocolate desserts. They offered that with this chocolate tort dish. The place was beautiful. The seats were densely packed but were smartly arranged so that you weren't sitting right next to other parties as if they sat at your table.Special Features:
- A must-have dining experienceAnniversaryDinersDined on 9/28/2013Had dinner here for our 11 year anniversary. The Inn is beautiful, the people were polite and professional, and the food was excellent. I had the chateaubriand and my wife had the risotto, and both were very good. They have a wine list that befits a VA wine-country restaurant, but nothing exorbitant. We are very happy to have dined here and would go back for another special occasion any time. Probably the best dinner I've had in the DC environs since moving to Maryland 4 years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't regret it!AnniversaryDinersDined on 9/23/2013My wife and I go to the Goodstone each year for our anniversary. It is truly a unique experience, and the food is amazing. You truly get your value from this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite of oursRichVIPDined on 9/21/2013This is one of our go to places for special events. We were married at the Goodstone and it's good to see the place still looks great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2013Very nice experience. If for no other reason, you have to go for the Green Tomato Gazpacho. It is that good. The Chateaubriand was delicious and I have leftovers for two more meals at home. Beware the narrow winding road, especially after dark. We also noted a police presence as we left. It is great for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, an enjoyable eveningsvwonlineDined on 9/7/2013Overall, an enjoyable evening and we will definitely return. The location is spectacular and I recommend getting there with enough time to walk around the grounds. Staff onsite were very friendly and we were fortunate enough to arrive and watch the sunset, which was memorable. Service could easily have been improved with additional qualified wait staff. Our waiter was great, but stretched a little thin and not as attentive as I would have expected for an upscale restaurant. The food was good, and I would have given it 3.5 stars if the option was available. Great wine list...I highly recommend the Merry Edwards 2009 Pinot Noir for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going to the Goodstone isOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2013Going to the Goodstone is always a special treat. The food is outstanding and wait staff equally the same. We did the 4 course prix fixe menu--a lot of food but we took home a doggie bag. The venue of the rolling hills of Virginia is extraordinaire but the windy road back to Middleburg needs to be taken slow at night. Best to come a little early and venture around the magnificent grounds while it is light. EnjoySpecial Features:
- Great SpotMeggiePDined on 9/2/2013I wanted to try a new restaurant for our anniversary. The food was excellent. Everything was made to order and you could tell. Nothing was pre-made. We left full. I would defiantly go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food, excellent serviceTomZDined on 9/1/2013The food was superb, and the setting very scenic. The staff went out of their way to make it a special evening. I can't recommend this restaurant enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try if in Middleburg!lookingfornewplacesVIPDined on 9/1/2013Great hidden spot for dining! We were staying at the Salamander Resort and they couldn't accomodate us for dinner, so we ventured out to The Goodstone Inn! It was a wonderful meal...be prepared to make an evening of it though as it did take about 2 1/2 hours to get through the meal. All was great, but a small kitchen, so you must be patient!Special Features:
- OVER RATEDDROS346Dined on 8/31/2013Way to stuffy and pretentious. Entree's were very good, but way over priced.. We let them know it was our 20th Wedding Anniversary in advance and all that got us was a middle table right next to another couple. Seems like the more cozy, private tables were reserved for the regulars. or those staying at the B&B... Not very welcoming.. Not worth the $200 plus price tag....Special Features:
- Great for Romantic CelebrationomnivoreDined on 8/31/2013Went to Goodstone for dinner only, did not stay at inn, for our anniversary. Was just what I was looking for- nice grounds to walk around before and after dinner, beautiful views of the Virginia hunt country, and a fabulous meal by professional wait staff. The fois gras was great, my salad was a delight, and the soufflé was phenomenal- with a salty, not very sweet chocolate sauce that was perfect. Definite recommendation, especially for a special occasion. Do NOT bring kids- not for them- this one is for adults.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gracious diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/25/2013We really enjoyed our dinner at Goodstone. The mushroom crepes and beef tartare were wonderful starters. The salads were fresh and seasonal. Entrees were just the right size. We ordered desserts just to try them even though we were already full. They were worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat of a DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/24/2013Although the food was well prepared and plated the menu descriptions did not reflect the courses. For example, one of the appetizers was beef tenderloin capricio but turned out to be beef tartar (instead of thinly sliced beef - the meat was ground and mixed with the traditional tartar accompanyments) . The chateaubrion was served as two seperately cooked pieces of filet mignon as opposed to the proper way to cook and serve it. The veal tenerdloin was bland and a poor cut of beef that required seasoning. On the positive side the salads were quite good although the red beets were undercooked and the deserts were quite good indeed. When the menu is priced as high you should be served a better meal.
- New chef....not good.OscarVIPDined on 8/16/2013We have been there 6 times and recommended it to many. I'm not sure I dare to do so again. I'm a foodie and I immediately recognized a new chef was at work. Previously it was the cleanest, purest flavor of the food with magnificent surprises in flavor. Now it was oily, salty and very very disappointing. Thats a sign of a poor chef. Sounds harsh but its true. Good stone : act quick or you will loose a lot of your most loyal fans who used to drive from far away to experience the best food in rural VA. Gimme back the old !Special Features:
- A weekend get-awayOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2013This was our first stay and dinner at the Goodstone Inn. It was a wonderful experience. The best romantic retreat in Northern Virgina I have experienced, and I have been to a few. We are definitely looking for a return to the Goodstone Inn.Special Features:
- Nice Restaurant in Remote LocationBaronDined on 8/16/2013First time there...food was fantastic...pricing on the high side but worth it for the experience. Staff was generally quite attentive but when things got a little busy they forgot my coffee at the end of the meal...oh well, we had to leave. Overall I would give it an A-Special Features:
- The setting at this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2013The setting at this restaurant is beautiful, but the food didn't live up to expectations. It's OK - and some dishes were better than others - but the restaurant is definitely overpriced.
- Not as good as the first timeredsun33VIPDined on 8/3/2013Second time we were there. The first time was VERY good, this time it was good but. Three (out of five) main courses came out lukewarm.I would recommend this to a friend.