The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.goodstone.com/
- Phone: (540) 687-3333
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Champagne Brunch: 12-2pm
Open seven days a week.
Children over the age of 8 are welcome for dining.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Leonard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Goodstone Inn & Restaurant will cater to all of your needs - big and small. (Advance notice of such requests is required.) In addition, Goodstone offers an impressive Wine Cellar Dining Room featuring an extensive collection of vintages from Virginia and around the world, and the elegant Manor House for intimate, catered events on the estate.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of nine to twelve are invited to take part in a one-of-a-kind experience in our cellar. A custom menu with wines paired will be created for your group. The experience will be tailored to your party's particular tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Boyer, Director of Sales 540-687-3333x
A word from The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant features a refined approach to French Country cuisine keeping to traditional and classical techniques. The innovative farm-to-table cuisine and the pastoral setting on a 265-acre estate in Virginia's wine and hunt country provide a unique dining experience for restaurant guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (60)romantic (53)fit for foodies (49)scenic view (38)notable wine list (25)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Surprise in the country!rond8888Dined on 3/15/2014My wife and I were ending our weekend in Virginia with a visit to Middleburg. I had seen great reviews of the Goodstone Inn and decided to book a table for lunch there. What a surprise to the both of us to have such a beautiful setting. The setting and the food was absolutely wonderful. I would recommend the inn to anyone that likes a "civilized" setting. We will definitely make this one of our stops in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The setting, the service andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2014The setting, the service and the food all combined to give an overall wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversaryLiliDined on 2/25/2014We have been to the Goodstone Inn for dinner, but lunch was even more special since we could enjoy the view and take our time. It is a destination spot, for sure, but worth the drive. The food is exquisite and service is attentive. We enjoyed the Chef's 4-course surprise meal this time.Special Features:
- The Most Outstanding Lunch Ever!mddinerVIPDined on 2/24/2014We came for lunch to celebrate a milestone birthday for my husband. It was a lovely one-hour drive from Bethesda, and we were graciously greeted and seated in front of a roaring fire for a drink before dining. It was Monday, so there was only one other couple in the dining room. We had the perfect table, right by the window with a lovely view, even though it's the winter. We decided to try the Chef's Surprise, 4 courses at a fixed price, each one outstanding and ample portions (not a tasting menu.) For dessert, they served us 3 full desserts (an extra one for the birthday celebrant). We couldn't have asked for a more perfect dining experience and are sure to be back.Special Features:
- the perfect accent to a country daycwmndcVIPDined on 2/23/2014In every season, we have found Sunday brunch at the Goodstone Inn to be a perfect compliment to a day in the beautiful countryside around Middleburg. This past Sunday the rich, first course of wild mushroom strudel was the best ever. My wife appreciates the tomato sauce frozen inside the ice cubes of her spicy Bloody Mary. The highly professional but very personable and cross-trained service is a joy as are the crackling wood fire in the entrance and the view of pristine, vast wooded fields from the dining tables. We are eager to stay at the Inn and enjoy the chef's talents with a leisurely dinner. But until then, the Sunday brunch is a special treat to repeat often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, Service wasn'tLoCoDineDined on 2/15/2014Dinner was excellent, however when you pay these kinds of prices I also expect excellent service, alas it was slow and disjointed. It appeared to be a combination of not enough staff and not working together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is limited but thejfbootheDined on 2/15/2014The menu is limited but the location is amazing. The view from the dinig room is impressive. The food was very good but the portions are a little small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceBillDined on 2/8/2014The food, service, setting and ambience all contributed to making the celebration of our special occasion all the more special and memorable. So glad that we decided on this venue for our celebration.Special Features:
- A Gem of a restaurant in MiddleburgOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/5/2014My wife and I had lunch at the Goodstone Restaurant in Middleburg to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary. The setting was very romantic, the food was excellent and so was the service. It was moderately pricey which is surprising for a restaurant in such a unique setting and the quality of the food and wine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/18/2014Seated at 6:50PM. We asked for a wine list, were told there was a sommelier, and he would be over. There was no acknowledgement (stop by the table, eye contact, etc) from sommelier for 30 min. At 7:24PM we walked to the bar to get a drink. The sommelier immediately noticed and they sent us champagne on the house to make up for it. In his defense, we saw him engaging with customers that were seated before us. But he should've made eye contact/connected with us before he actually waited on us. I remember thinking, “I wish you'd come over to our table I'm hungry.” The other sommelier was not there and they were short handed. Sommelier? Once we got him, he was superb. We got a very yummy bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape! I’d def go again & again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a secret find! LocatedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2014What a secret find! Located in Middleburg, Va., this exquisite Inn is a real jewel with an outstanding restaurant to match.It is perfect for a romantic celebration or just for having a sophisticated lunch with friends. The food was appetizingly displayed and joyful on the tongue. The service was superb with no ripples to be had. I want to recommend this restaurant with highest honors, yet I don't want it to become too popular so that I can't get a reservation! Make a point to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops on our listOccasionalGourmetVIPDined on 1/15/2014We have been to the Goldstone Inn twice now for anniversaries, and will surely be back again. Both times the outstanding quality of the food and the artfully balanced flavors brought tears of joy to our eyes. Add to that the special way the wait staff treated us for our anniversary, and the romantic, secluded, and genuine setting of the old Inn and restaurant and we feel like we found our special place. The real wood burning fire place was a welcome greeting on a cold night, so much so that we found ourselves lingering there to reflect on the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple.. Nice.. RomanticVivegaDined on 1/15/2014We were there on a weekday for lunch to celebrate my husband's birthday.. The ambience was very romantic.. The food was delicious.. .The drive off from the city to the restaurant is fun and romantic too :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in the WoodsLamaFoodDined on 1/1/2014The Goodstone Inn & Estate is an ideal location for a romantic dinner. Excellent food, service and ambience. Plan to spend about $100 / person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/30/2013Went the other night for our anniversary. Very cold night, but the big fireplace at the bar warmed us right up. Very romantic and classy. Had the chateaubriand for 2 and was arguably the best cut of meat I've ever had. It was served sliced tableside. We also had the gruyere potatoes in their own little croc...wow. The other gem was the French bread...light and crusty and just scrumptious.....we will be back! *a find*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Absolute GemAnnaDined on 12/30/2013The restaurant at the Goodstone Inn is an absolute gem. Nestled amind the rolling hills, the restaurant is inviting from the exterior as well as the interior. What continues to bring us back is the outstanding quality of the food. We dined there two nights, one of which was New Year's Eve, a night we typically stay away from restaurants. However the food and service were flawless. It was the nicest New Year's Eve we have spent dining out in quite some time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great, Service LackingJAVADined on 12/28/2013Even though I am rating this average, I would try The Goodstone again. I am unsure if it was just an off-night or they were short-staffed, but the service was not on-par with other restaurants at this price point. May seem minor or nit-picky, but at +$100 a person, service can make or break an experience. There seemed to be no support staff for the servers, so water and wine glasses went empty. A couple of simple requests were forgotten, so we had to ask twice. Plates were set down on the table in a hurried manner, splashing the sauces over the edges of the plates. The food was above average, so we plan to try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening.JimboDined on 12/23/2013Our table was ready when we arrived. We had stayed at the Goodstone Inn a few years ago. This time we were there just for dinner. The restaurant is intimate. The service was friendly and efficient. The Dover sole , which was on the menu, was excellently prepared. The Sancerre, which was recommended, was an excellent choice to compliment the sole. All in all, it was a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youJohnDined on 12/14/2013As always, excellent food and wine. Even when the wait staff was down, everyone worked really hard to make sure the service was not impacted. Thank you for being so service conscientious in this day and age. It is much noted and appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodstone RevisitedSteveCDined on 12/6/2013After an absence of almost a year, my wife and I returned to Goodstone. We were/are big fans of former Chef William Walden, and were very curious to see how things were going since his departure. To my surprise - and pleasure - it seems that things are going quite well. A delicate and complex lobster appetizer demonstrated some serious talent in the kitchen, and the Sea Bass and Chateaubriand was right there with Chef Walden's best, which is saying something. Stephen, the new manager has a splendid CV, and has the service operating at near perfection. Goodstone has not lost a step, and is, of course, still the most beautiful venue around. I will be back there shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amongst the BEST we've ever had!JE1058VIPDined on 12/5/2013For the same price as the higher-end "chains" (Mortons, RC, etc), you can dine here and have a MUCH better experience with much better food, more elegantly prepared. We were not rushed throughout our dining experience and savored the 2+ hours it took to enjoy the evening. The tableside-prepared Chateaubriand was cooked PERFECTLY and had an incredible flavor! The salads we ordered were some of the best salads we've ever had; the Bib Lettuce Salad was INCREDIBLE! French Onion soup is a favorite of mine and something I've had many times, but never with the rich, bold flavor this version offered. For dessert, the pear crisp with home made vanilla ice cream capped off the perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceDetzerDined on 11/23/2013I came out to dine for a special event with my family. From the moment I walked up to the enchanting "Carriage House" the experience began. All of the staff were welcoming, opening the doors and taking our coats.We were wined and dinned by Rachel and even the restaurant manager Stephen. The Chateaubriand was cooked perfectly to my request and the flavors were wonderful. My mother had the Sea Bass which she is still raving about, while my father had the "Goodstone" lamb, which was delectable as well. Of course we indulged in a delicious chocolate souffle, it was everything you could ever want in a chocolate dessert. If you get the chance, you simply must come for dinner, you wont regret a single moment.Special Features:
- As always great food and friendlyjudyVIPDined on 11/23/2013As always great food and friendly staff. Beautiful without stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedTessDined on 11/17/2013My husband took me to Goodstone for my birthday and I was looking forward to the chocolate hazlenut dessert. There were only 3 dessert choices for brunch (cheeses, sorbets or a traditional dessert) and they replaced the advertised chocolate dessert with a pear crumble. Not quite an equivalent swap and very disappointing. We got a glass of champagne with the brunch, but requested a second glass to celebrate. Were quite shocked at the $14 per glass price, especially considering it was a birthday celebration. Overall, it was a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful getawayPonnVIPDined on 11/11/2013My wife and I had a day off from work, with the kids in school, so we decided to have a grown-up lunch together. We dropped the top on the roadster and headed to the country roads of Loudoun County. This was our first time to the Goodstone, and we were impressed. We were expecting it to be quiet since it was a Monday lunch, and it was (many surrounding restaurants are closed on Mondays). We had the dining room to ourselves for most of the meal, but that is what we were after. Beautiful views through the windows of the dining room, and beautiful views on the plate. The Butternut Squash Soup and House Salad were excellent, and the entrees of the Steak Salad and the Scallop Risotto w/ Mushrooms were perfect. Dessert on our next visit.Special Features:
- Wonderful PlaceGlenDined on 11/8/2013Food and service was outstanding. We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- A friend and I had a wonderfulbysigVIPDined on 11/3/2013A friend and I had a wonderful and relaxing Sunday brunch. The service and graciousness of all who work at Goodstone is top notch. Most items we had were delicious. We had steak and eggs benedict and the steak was not seasoned very much. Other than that we thought it a perfect place to enjoy. I look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- What a Mealredsun33VIPDined on 11/2/2013Simply said, one of the best meals we have had and the service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceKatrinkaDined on 11/2/2013Upon being seated we waited a minimum of 30 minutes before we were acknowledged and our water glasses filled. During this wait we watched other patrons being seated around us and their water glasses filled and welcomed. 15 minutes later the Matrie D asked for our beverage order. We waited another 10 minutes and he came back and asked if we were ready to order our dinner. We told him we had not received our beverages! 8 minutes later we had our beverages. We were then passed onto an actual waiter who took our dinner order....he was pleasant.Special Features:
- Looks great but no smilesLikeagoodmealDined on 11/2/2013Goodstone looks great but no one greets or serves you with a smile. Very unfriendly group. If you pay the high price then the service, greeting, and entrance/exit should should be excellent.
- ALWAYS A GREAT EXPERIENCE....ANDDONALDDined on 11/1/2013ALWAYS A GREAT EXPERIENCE....AND STEPHAN, THE NEW MANAGER, HAS ADDED TO THE GREATNESSSpecial Features:
- Special nightAggieDined on 10/30/2013The food was delicious, the service excellent and not overdone. We went on a Wed. night and it was quiet. This is our favorite rest. for special occasions, we are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Full of graceMorganVIPDined on 10/28/2013Backlit with a real roaring fire - flawless food, and incredibly subtle service. Stephen keeps a perfect pace of service and accommodates special requests every time. They remember your preferences and continue to offer the most sophisticated menu in Middleburg. Can't say enough good things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a fine dining establishment,dinrGirlDined on 10/27/2013For a fine dining establishment, the portions of the food were more than generous. First time there, and we will be back. Brunch was definitely a bargain and worth the beautiful trip out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heard a lot about this restaurantpowgoesdiningDined on 10/20/2013Heard a lot about this restaurant and was looking forward to a great meal. However, we were disappointed. The escargot was probably frozen for a long time. It was dry and was not flavorful. The pork was also a bit dry and the confit was overcooked. The green farro, however, was full of flavor and cooked perfectly. Even though the lamb was the better dish of the night it was not excellent. We waited at least 20 minutes before our beverage order was taken. There was only one server who also was the manager that night.Special Features:
- Amazing food, great service!YcatsmDined on 10/19/2013We had a great time and an amazing dinner. We had a $100 gift card to use so that made it somewhat affordable. Defiantly a good spot for a special occasion but very expensive and we could not afford to go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food allergies?JudeDined on 10/18/2013The food tasted delicious, was presented very well, and the service was excellent. When reserving online, I requested no dairy or olive oil (since tests have shown that they are a problem for me.) Also, I called a couple of days before the reserved date to mention the food allergies. They confirmed the information I wrote when requesting the reservation. I was hoping the waiter would know about the foods I needed to avoid, without me having to tell him & make a big deal over it. Not so. Why bother asking people ahead if you are not going to act on the request? Although everything else was very good, I was disappointed about my ingredient requests not being noted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice Place !.LacomDined on 10/13/2013Food was excellent, service was perfect, good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experience!DeliciousDined on 10/12/2013The food was outstanding, service exceptional, a wonderful evening! Chateaubriand exquisite... and for dessert...the crème brulee...magnifique! One suggestion: the location is out in the countryside. We visited on a very rainy evening. By the time we left, it was very dark and a little difficult to maneuver the road to the main highway. It might help to have reflectors along the small country road so that it would be easier for the travelers to negotiate the curvy road.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful BrunchJanetDined on 10/6/2013Hubby and I went to Brunch to celebrate our Anniversary, the room is lovely, service was good and the food was wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.