The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.goodstone.com/
- Phone: (540) 687-3333
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Champagne Brunch: 12-2pm
Open seven days a week.
Children over the age of 8 are welcome for dining.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Leonard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Goodstone Inn & Restaurant will cater to all of your needs - big and small. (Advance notice of such requests is required.) In addition, Goodstone offers an impressive Wine Cellar Dining Room featuring an extensive collection of vintages from Virginia and around the world, and the elegant Manor House for intimate, catered events on the estate.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of nine to twelve are invited to take part in a one-of-a-kind experience in our cellar. A custom menu with wines paired will be created for your group. The experience will be tailored to your party's particular tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Boyer, Director of Sales 540-687-3333x
A word from The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant features a refined approach to French Country cuisine keeping to traditional and classical techniques. The innovative farm-to-table cuisine and the pastoral setting on a 265-acre estate in Virginia's wine and hunt country provide a unique dining experience for restaurant guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (61)romantic (54)fit for foodies (50)scenic view (39)notable wine list (26)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (3)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- Nice place to dineHard2pleaseDined on 8/11/2014Generally the food was good. Wines by the glass not so much. Would have been nice to have a wider choice.Special Features:
- Amazing lunchVAlovetotravelDined on 8/11/2014The food, service and ambiance were all outstanding. We enjoyed the chef's 4-course surprise lunch.Special Features:
- Great food, terrible serviceChadVIPDined on 8/9/2014The food at Goodstone was great, the service was terrible. It seemed like having an 8:45pm reservation was past the bedtime of the manager and wait staff at the restaurant. In the middle of our meal, the staff started chainging the restaurant over for breakfast which was incredibly disruptive and made us feel like they were trying to get us to leave. For a restaurant with such high prices, an expectation that the service and ambiance would match does not seem out of the question. I would not go back nor recommend the restaurant to friends. There are other, better options.
- Wonderful experienceDiningDivaDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I dined at the Goodstone this past weekend in celebration of our 22nd wedding anniversary. We were delighted with our experience in every way. Service was top notch, and the food was heavenly. We took advantage of the price fixe menu, and enjoyed amazing appetizers and a ridiculously fresh Caprese salad. We both ordered the seared scallops as our entrée, and were blown away- delicious! Normally not dessert folks, we even enjoyed the lemon soufflé and a terrific peach cobbler. Just when we thought we couldn't fit another bite, the waitress brought over two glasses of complementary champagne in honor of our anniversary. We couldn't have asked for a more lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 474 reviews are from the The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant reviews archive.
- Romantic Anniversary DinnerjoshandklaDined on 7/21/2014We can't say enough about our dining experience at the Goodstone Inn. What a perfect way to celebrate our anniversary in a romantic setting with absolutely delicious and inspired food. Everything tasted so fresh and delicious. Our server Daniel was helpful and did a great job answering all of our questions. It was clear that he took pride in his work and was excited to share some of the history of the inn which we thoroughly enjoyed hearing about. We enjoyed our little chef surprises of steak tartare before our salads and grape sorbet before our meals. The lamb and filet mignon were cooked to perfection. We look forward to going back and trying their famous brunch! Thanks for making our celebration memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUPERH2oersDined on 7/20/2014What a GREAT place for special days we took friends there as a Wedding Gift they loved it !!!!Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningDCVolDined on 7/20/2014Perfect late Sunday afternoon/early evening. The short drive was a scenic and relaxing prelude to arriving at the Goodstone. Beautiful grounds and facilities. We walked in the Carriage House and went straight to our table (our choice). Stephen was the consummate host. The staff were engaging and most attentive. We selected the Chateaubriand prix fixe, a Merlot from Stag's Leap and we just sat and talked as Stephen and the staff anticipated every need. In no rush, we let the evening unfold - as it did perfectly. Our meal was excellent - from appetizers to Creme Brulee to Jameson Irish coffee (with a clever dash of brown sugar). Strolling the beautiful grounds afterwards at dusk rounded the evening which ended too soon. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect evening!laviajeraDined on 7/19/2014Loved everything about the visit to Goodstone. The location is beautiful and serene. The dining room is small and quiet. We had a table by the window which was lovely. Food was beautifully presented; portion size was perfect; everything was delicious.Special Features:
- Pricey but exceptionalSpranchersDined on 7/15/2014Food was fabulous, service attentive without rushing us in any way. The atmosphere was perfect for any special occasion. Expect to spend at least $200 per couple if you have 3 or more courses and a glass of wine.Special Features:
- Outstanding restaurantSilverSpringDinerDined on 7/12/2014Had a wonderful lunch at this outstanding restaurant! The service was impeccable as was the wine list. Interesting menu choices on the limited luncheon menu. Highly recommend this lovely setting for a relaxed, delicious meal.Special Features:
- Fabulous viewF8pamelaDined on 7/6/2014This place has wonderful scenery, great food and quiet. Perfect for dinner for two. Not to mention the drive is quit beautiful itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner to brag aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Beautiful drive from DC to a charming 30 seat restaurant that sits at the top of a hill on a working farm. Very picturesque - food is Franch so expect small portions. Food was very good, not great, but you pay for the experience I think and we enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Always Worth the TripAllieBVIPDined on 7/5/2014Each time I've visited the Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant, I've enjoyed the experience more. The setting and location are lovely, the food has always been superb, and the service is amazing. They go above and beyond to ensure their diners have a positive experience.Special Features:
- A fabulous day in the countrysideTexasDinerVIPDined on 6/26/2014A friend and I spent a day walking around Middleburg and had lunch at The Goodstone Inn. She was enchanted by the drive up to the restaurant and the view from our table. The menu was filled with wonderful choices. We settled on the Roquefort and pear salad plus the fresh trout with its carrot puree and beurre noisette. So unbelievably good. Our server paired it with a rich Chardonnay to work with the sauces. Perfection. A driver drove us around the 265 acres to show us the various cottages. My friend decided she and her husband MUST stay. Told her their breakfast, which comes with the room, is absolutely exquisite. My husband and I spend ALL our special occasions here, with good reason. We're never disappointed. A great value.Special Features:
- DisappointingPepiDined on 6/23/2014We came here to celebrate a birthday - the inn is quite beautiful and very secluded - that is pretty much where the good part ended. The service was ok better when there were only a couple other people dining. Overall very slow but that was ok since it was a special occasion. The food was not very good at all - my appetizer was burnt, the sides on my main dish also burnt. The filet was not cooked to my specification - desert was a soufflé which was not very tasty at all. Incredibly overpriced for the very low quality of the food.
- Enjoyable EveningPartnersDined on 6/16/2014Location is rustic and a scenic entry that is NOT a place to speed to... narrow "curvy" roads / numerous blind spots and numerous beautiful properties that prompt a view and steals safe driving practice. Facility is very nice and the hospitality is only exceeded by a delicious meal. Multiple options = all good (great) / service staff VERY helpful on recommendations and explanations (ask = your queries will be rewarded). Well worth the drive and the wait (as service is methodical... not slow BUT plan for a two hour session to enjoy four courses) Have enjoyed meals previously = will definitely return and recommend others to the experience! NOTE: Monday is a slow night for customers but prep and service is similar to busy weekend nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SoleilDined on 6/15/2014The food is outstanding, particularly the Scallops and Chilean Sea Bass, and the Chocolate Souffle is to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Food and Well PresentedLGCRKDined on 6/10/2014The restaurant is in a beautiful setting of rolling hills and streams just outside of Middleburg. We were warmly greeted at the door and felt comfortable and extremely welcome the entire meal. Our waiter and the Sommelier Stephan were always there and very easy to catch our eye but not obtrusive. They were both highly professional. We started with a champagne toast and then settled on the Prix Fixe Chateaubriand for two as an entrée. We had starters of Asparagus Soup and Baby spinach and strawberries salad for me and a crab/avocado appetizer and butter lettuce salad for my wife. A decadent chocolate soufflé was our desert. We enjoyed a fine 2011 vintage Paul Hobbs Cabernet. Everything was totally delicious. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- exceptional experience!revrandyDined on 6/9/2014This restaurant is a treasure. The service was impeccable. The food lived up to the reputation. The wine list is right in the sweet spot. Not pretentious or slim. The bucolic setting, the attention to detail and excellence all make for dining pleasureSpecial Features:
- wine2food4meDined on 6/8/2014Asked for a quiet spot to be able to have a conversation, and was placed next to a baby shower party. I noticed other tables were available across the room that would have been much better. Trout was oily, "regular" English muffins for benedict. Wait staff rushed my order. The grounds and views are spectacular and weather was perfect, I still enjoyed my birthday brunch, my husband is my true delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's SurpriseAnnieDined on 6/7/2014My friends treated me to Chef's Surprise for my birthday on June 7. The meal was delightful, the wines beyond expectation and the waiter, Stephen, turned out to be the sommalier and a most warm, charming individual! Everything about this meal was flawless, from the prices to the courses to the surprise birthday champagne at the end. Thank you for making this occasion memorable! We will be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2014Most outstanding and delightful dinner in Middleburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goldstone Inn is OutstandingMikeLDined on 6/2/2014From the sommelier's greeting, to his farewell, our experience was nothing short of fantastic. My wife and I try to celebrate anniversary (this year timing dictated her birthday) at a surprise (to her) restaurant, in which neither of us had ever dined. Northern Virginia & DC have a wide selection of 4 & 5 star establishments, and Goldstone stands out as our most memorable food, service, and atmosphere. We've been on cruises with specialty restaurants as well, and Goodstone had not one vegetable, salad, or sauce that was not a treat to the palate. The Chateaubriand for two (prie fixe) was the way we went; the Wild Mushroom Strudel was to die for... Just the entrance to this establishment was peaceful and serene. We will certainly return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceJennVIPDined on 6/1/2014We went to the Goodstone inn to celebrate a birthday and an anniversary this past week, and it was an exceptional experience. The food was phenomenal, service was warm & excellent, and the ambience is incredibly charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic quality diningTonyAmbDined on 5/26/2014The restaurant was 5 stars all they way from the perspective of staff and food quality. The place was a little off the beaten path, however once you arrive there is plenty of parking and the inside is quite charming. Each dish we ate was very well made, great presentation, and great taste. The only thing I can say is that quality comes at a price both in dollars and time. To clarify, the cost was moderate/moderate-high but the 4 course meal took us almost 2 1/2 hours! You definitely cannot be in a rush to eat here. While the courses did take a while to come out the wait was definitely worth it, which is why I would still highly recommend it with the time caveat. We look forward to returning for another leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful AnniversaryLeeburDined on 5/26/2014Celebrated our 30th anniversary with this wonderful find. A hidden gem with outstanding food and great wine list. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venue, so-so foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/20141st timers @ this recommended inn; we went for Brunch. The ambience was nice & the trip to Middleburg is always pleasant. Sadly, the food was not up to the view and surroundings. My salad was tired, my wife's soup under-seasoned. The entrées redeemed the starters, even if my steak (see other reviewers) was overdone--order redder than what you normally would & you'll be fine. My wife's fish was tasty & properly cooked. The cheese plate, superb. The lemon tart was lacking (curd from a jar?), but balanced by a light r'berry sorbet. The staff was attentive, but our waitress was not having a good day--unsmiling and couldn't name the cheeses offered. The waiter and maître d' were excellent. Flutes of champagne for our anniversary = a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining Experience!WinewitheverythingVIPDined on 5/18/2014My husband and I celebrated our second anniversary and wanted a special venue. What a great find The Goodstone Inn was! We were absolutely delighted with the beautiful property and building. The food was fabulous, staff very accommodating and polite. A wonderful romantic evening. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Goodstone on Sunday evening. The food was fabulous, specifically the "grilled asparagus" starter. Beautiful setting, very good wine list. Well worth the trip....Special Features:
- Get away and enjoy yourselfTheVirginianDined on 5/14/2014The food, the service and the setting make it worth the price. Make sure to get a soufflé for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchTravelerDined on 5/4/2014It has outstanding ambience, but the food at the brunch was fair at best and overpriced. My filet was tiny, over cooked, and tough. The English muffin it sat on was stale and under-toasted - the egg was ok. Service was ok. TomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKellypsuDined on 4/26/2014Dining in Northern Virginia takes a step up. The quality and portions were perfect. Price Fix menu offered excellent value. Want to enjoy a fantastic meal in a great setting? This is the place. Easy drive if you pick the right time, especially with our longer day light evenings in the spring. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week day lunchDCcoupleDined on 4/24/2014Had lunch at 1 pm on a week day. Very pleasant drive in the country. Beautiful Inn and dining room. Had the four course Chief's surprise tasting meal. Every bit of lunch was perfect including just attentive enough service. Because this was Chief's surprise we did not know what was coming which left a problem of what wine to get. This was solved but having the waiter pair each course with a different wine. Each wine was excellent and very well paired with the food. Not inexpensive but well worth it and can't wait to go back. Managed to stretch lunch out for a couple of hours and did not want to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fine Dining in the CountrysideSteveFDined on 4/21/2014The Goodstone Inn and Restaurant is the most exceptional dining experience I have had in the DC area. The location, the dining and terrace space, the service and the food were top notch. If you enjoy good food and appreciate the many small touches that add up to a memorable experience this is the destination to choose. The mood of the restaurant is relaxed and friendly with none of the pretentious qualities of many noted DC area restaurants. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- UnsurpassedJeffVIPDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I travel a lot, and eat out a lot, whether or not on travel. Our recent meal at the Goodstone Inn was simply excellent, from beginning to end. Friendly and attentive service, from the front door to our waiter to our departure. And our meal was just exquisite, the best we have had anywhere in a very long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snake RoadAmb1VIPDined on 4/12/2014We enjoyed the ride out in the country. The French food was outstanding. Our server was awesome. The portions were just right. Our meal was the best we had in a while. We had a cocktail and thought it was a generous pour. It is pricey.Special Features:
- Magical GoodstoneOakstream1Dined on 4/7/2014The magic of the Goodstone Inn begins the minute you start down the Foxcroft Road heading out of town, winding you way past old stone walls, drifts of daffodils and the untouched beauty of Goose Creek. Turning up the drive into Goodstone, your heart beats a bit faster as the scenery only gets more beautiful...Our lunch experience at Goodstone was excellent! We were the only table on Monday afternoon which can be a Dining Downer, our lunch was anything but. Spring Risotto was one of the best risottos I have had - wild mushrooms and asparagus. Delicious Little Gem romaine salad with a bright citrus dressing. And the chef surprised us with a chocolate soufflé to go along with coffee. Can't wait to go back againnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner with my wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2014Birthday dinner for my wife. Very good food and service. Lovely property and interesting interior decor. Altogether a special evening. (GPS left me a little short of the entrance. Just go a little further on Snake Hill Rd to the entrance on the left. It's a long driveway.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!MartaVIPDined on 3/23/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at the Goodstone Inn and could not have been more impressed with the food, the service and the beautiful dining room. We give it high recommendations!Special Features:
- Worthwhile drive for the experiencerkempVIPDined on 3/15/2014Thank you for making mine and my wife's 13th anniversary very special. Everyone on your staff made us feel welcomed and as if we were the only ones in the restaurant/bar. You offer exceptional service and it's reflected by the staff you hire. They get it. The food was very fresh and flavorful and the presentation was artful. It was our first time at The Goodstone Inn and for those who've been to Chez L'Auberge Francois or The Inn at Little Washington, we believe this is up to par with those experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.