The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
36205 Snake Hill Road
Middleburg, VA 20117Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.goodstone.com/
- Phone: 5406873333x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Champagne Brunch: 12-2pm
Open seven days a week.
Children over the age of 8 are welcome for dining.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Leonard
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Goodstone Inn & Restaurant will cater to all of your needs - big and small. (Advance notice of such requests is required.) In addition, Goodstone offers an impressive Wine Cellar Dining Room featuring an extensive collection of vintages from Virginia and around the world, and the elegant Manor House for intimate, catered events on the estate.
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of nine to twelve are invited to take part in a one-of-a-kind experience in our cellar. A custom menu with wines paired will be created for your group. The experience will be tailored to your party's particular tastes.
- Private Party Contact: Linda Boyer, Director of Sales 540-687-3333x
A word from The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant
Goodstone Inn & Restaurant features a refined approach to French Country cuisine keeping to traditional and classical techniques. The innovative farm-to-table cuisine and the pastoral setting on a 265-acre estate in Virginia's wine and hunt country provide a unique dining experience for restaurant guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Middleburg ›
The Goodstone Inn & Estate Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (61)romantic (56)scenic view (42)fit for foodies (41)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (15)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (2)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/2/2014Most outstanding and delightful dinner in Middleburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goldstone Inn is OutstandingMikeLDined on 6/2/2014From the sommelier's greeting, to his farewell, our experience was nothing short of fantastic. My wife and I try to celebrate anniversary (this year timing dictated her birthday) at a surprise (to her) restaurant, in which neither of us had ever dined. Northern Virginia & DC have a wide selection of 4 & 5 star establishments, and Goldstone stands out as our most memorable food, service, and atmosphere. We've been on cruises with specialty restaurants as well, and Goodstone had not one vegetable, salad, or sauce that was not a treat to the palate. The Chateaubriand for two (prie fixe) was the way we went; the Wild Mushroom Strudel was to die for... Just the entrance to this establishment was peaceful and serene. We will certainly return soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceJennVIPDined on 6/1/2014We went to the Goodstone inn to celebrate a birthday and an anniversary this past week, and it was an exceptional experience. The food was phenomenal, service was warm & excellent, and the ambience is incredibly charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic quality diningTonyAmbDined on 5/26/2014The restaurant was 5 stars all they way from the perspective of staff and food quality. The place was a little off the beaten path, however once you arrive there is plenty of parking and the inside is quite charming. Each dish we ate was very well made, great presentation, and great taste. The only thing I can say is that quality comes at a price both in dollars and time. To clarify, the cost was moderate/moderate-high but the 4 course meal took us almost 2 1/2 hours! You definitely cannot be in a rush to eat here. While the courses did take a while to come out the wait was definitely worth it, which is why I would still highly recommend it with the time caveat. We look forward to returning for another leisurely meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful AnniversaryLeeburDined on 5/26/2014Celebrated our 30th anniversary with this wonderful find. A hidden gem with outstanding food and great wine list. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great venue, so-so foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/20141st timers @ this recommended inn; we went for Brunch. The ambience was nice & the trip to Middleburg is always pleasant. Sadly, the food was not up to the view and surroundings. My salad was tired, my wife's soup under-seasoned. The entrées redeemed the starters, even if my steak (see other reviewers) was overdone--order redder than what you normally would & you'll be fine. My wife's fish was tasty & properly cooked. The cheese plate, superb. The lemon tart was lacking (curd from a jar?), but balanced by a light r'berry sorbet. The staff was attentive, but our waitress was not having a good day--unsmiling and couldn't name the cheeses offered. The waiter and maître d' were excellent. Flutes of champagne for our anniversary = a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining Experience!WinewitheverythingVIPDined on 5/18/2014My husband and I celebrated our second anniversary and wanted a special venue. What a great find The Goodstone Inn was! We were absolutely delighted with the beautiful property and building. The food was fabulous, staff very accommodating and polite. A wonderful romantic evening. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/18/2014Had a wonderful dinner at Goodstone on Sunday evening. The food was fabulous, specifically the "grilled asparagus" starter. Beautiful setting, very good wine list. Well worth the trip....Special Features:
- Get away and enjoy yourselfTheVirginianDined on 5/14/2014The food, the service and the setting make it worth the price. Make sure to get a soufflé for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchTravelerDined on 5/4/2014It has outstanding ambience, but the food at the brunch was fair at best and overpriced. My filet was tiny, over cooked, and tough. The English muffin it sat on was stale and under-toasted - the egg was ok. Service was ok. TomSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodKellypsuDined on 4/26/2014Dining in Northern Virginia takes a step up. The quality and portions were perfect. Price Fix menu offered excellent value. Want to enjoy a fantastic meal in a great setting? This is the place. Easy drive if you pick the right time, especially with our longer day light evenings in the spring. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Week day lunchDCcoupleDined on 4/24/2014Had lunch at 1 pm on a week day. Very pleasant drive in the country. Beautiful Inn and dining room. Had the four course Chief's surprise tasting meal. Every bit of lunch was perfect including just attentive enough service. Because this was Chief's surprise we did not know what was coming which left a problem of what wine to get. This was solved but having the waiter pair each course with a different wine. Each wine was excellent and very well paired with the food. Not inexpensive but well worth it and can't wait to go back. Managed to stretch lunch out for a couple of hours and did not want to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Fine Dining in the CountrysideSteveFDined on 4/21/2014The Goodstone Inn and Restaurant is the most exceptional dining experience I have had in the DC area. The location, the dining and terrace space, the service and the food were top notch. If you enjoy good food and appreciate the many small touches that add up to a memorable experience this is the destination to choose. The mood of the restaurant is relaxed and friendly with none of the pretentious qualities of many noted DC area restaurants. We'll be back for sure.Special Features:
- UnsurpassedJeffVIPDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I travel a lot, and eat out a lot, whether or not on travel. Our recent meal at the Goodstone Inn was simply excellent, from beginning to end. Friendly and attentive service, from the front door to our waiter to our departure. And our meal was just exquisite, the best we have had anywhere in a very long time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snake RoadAmb1VIPDined on 4/12/2014We enjoyed the ride out in the country. The French food was outstanding. Our server was awesome. The portions were just right. Our meal was the best we had in a while. We had a cocktail and thought it was a generous pour. It is pricey.Special Features:
- Magical GoodstoneOakstream1Dined on 4/7/2014The magic of the Goodstone Inn begins the minute you start down the Foxcroft Road heading out of town, winding you way past old stone walls, drifts of daffodils and the untouched beauty of Goose Creek. Turning up the drive into Goodstone, your heart beats a bit faster as the scenery only gets more beautiful...Our lunch experience at Goodstone was excellent! We were the only table on Monday afternoon which can be a Dining Downer, our lunch was anything but. Spring Risotto was one of the best risottos I have had - wild mushrooms and asparagus. Delicious Little Gem romaine salad with a bright citrus dressing. And the chef surprised us with a chocolate soufflé to go along with coffee. Can't wait to go back againnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special dinner with my wifeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2014Birthday dinner for my wife. Very good food and service. Lovely property and interesting interior decor. Altogether a special evening. (GPS left me a little short of the entrance. Just go a little further on Snake Hill Rd to the entrance on the left. It's a long driveway.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!MartaVIPDined on 3/23/2014We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at the Goodstone Inn and could not have been more impressed with the food, the service and the beautiful dining room. We give it high recommendations!Special Features:
- Worthwhile drive for the experiencerkempVIPDined on 3/15/2014Thank you for making mine and my wife's 13th anniversary very special. Everyone on your staff made us feel welcomed and as if we were the only ones in the restaurant/bar. You offer exceptional service and it's reflected by the staff you hire. They get it. The food was very fresh and flavorful and the presentation was artful. It was our first time at The Goodstone Inn and for those who've been to Chez L'Auberge Francois or The Inn at Little Washington, we believe this is up to par with those experiences.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise in the country!rond8888Dined on 3/15/2014My wife and I were ending our weekend in Virginia with a visit to Middleburg. I had seen great reviews of the Goodstone Inn and decided to book a table for lunch there. What a surprise to the both of us to have such a beautiful setting. The setting and the food was absolutely wonderful. I would recommend the inn to anyone that likes a "civilized" setting. We will definitely make this one of our stops in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The setting, the service andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2014The setting, the service and the food all combined to give an overall wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversaryLiliDined on 2/25/2014We have been to the Goodstone Inn for dinner, but lunch was even more special since we could enjoy the view and take our time. It is a destination spot, for sure, but worth the drive. The food is exquisite and service is attentive. We enjoyed the Chef's 4-course surprise meal this time.Special Features:
- The Most Outstanding Lunch Ever!mddinerVIPDined on 2/24/2014We came for lunch to celebrate a milestone birthday for my husband. It was a lovely one-hour drive from Bethesda, and we were graciously greeted and seated in front of a roaring fire for a drink before dining. It was Monday, so there was only one other couple in the dining room. We had the perfect table, right by the window with a lovely view, even though it's the winter. We decided to try the Chef's Surprise, 4 courses at a fixed price, each one outstanding and ample portions (not a tasting menu.) For dessert, they served us 3 full desserts (an extra one for the birthday celebrant). We couldn't have asked for a more perfect dining experience and are sure to be back.Special Features:
- the perfect accent to a country daycwmndcVIPDined on 2/23/2014In every season, we have found Sunday brunch at the Goodstone Inn to be a perfect compliment to a day in the beautiful countryside around Middleburg. This past Sunday the rich, first course of wild mushroom strudel was the best ever. My wife appreciates the tomato sauce frozen inside the ice cubes of her spicy Bloody Mary. The highly professional but very personable and cross-trained service is a joy as are the crackling wood fire in the entrance and the view of pristine, vast wooded fields from the dining tables. We are eager to stay at the Inn and enjoy the chef's talents with a leisurely dinner. But until then, the Sunday brunch is a special treat to repeat often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, Service wasn'tLoCoDineDined on 2/15/2014Dinner was excellent, however when you pay these kinds of prices I also expect excellent service, alas it was slow and disjointed. It appeared to be a combination of not enough staff and not working together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is limited but thejfbootheDined on 2/15/2014The menu is limited but the location is amazing. The view from the dinig room is impressive. The food was very good but the portions are a little small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceBillDined on 2/8/2014The food, service, setting and ambience all contributed to making the celebration of our special occasion all the more special and memorable. So glad that we decided on this venue for our celebration.Special Features:
- A Gem of a restaurant in MiddleburgOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/5/2014My wife and I had lunch at the Goodstone Restaurant in Middleburg to celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary. The setting was very romantic, the food was excellent and so was the service. It was moderately pricey which is surprising for a restaurant in such a unique setting and the quality of the food and wine. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/18/2014Seated at 6:50PM. We asked for a wine list, were told there was a sommelier, and he would be over. There was no acknowledgement (stop by the table, eye contact, etc) from sommelier for 30 min. At 7:24PM we walked to the bar to get a drink. The sommelier immediately noticed and they sent us champagne on the house to make up for it. In his defense, we saw him engaging with customers that were seated before us. But he should've made eye contact/connected with us before he actually waited on us. I remember thinking, “I wish you'd come over to our table I'm hungry.” The other sommelier was not there and they were short handed. Sommelier? Once we got him, he was superb. We got a very yummy bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape! I’d def go again & again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a secret find! LocatedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2014What a secret find! Located in Middleburg, Va., this exquisite Inn is a real jewel with an outstanding restaurant to match.It is perfect for a romantic celebration or just for having a sophisticated lunch with friends. The food was appetizingly displayed and joyful on the tongue. The service was superb with no ripples to be had. I want to recommend this restaurant with highest honors, yet I don't want it to become too popular so that I can't get a reservation! Make a point to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tops on our listOccasionalGourmetVIPDined on 1/15/2014We have been to the Goldstone Inn twice now for anniversaries, and will surely be back again. Both times the outstanding quality of the food and the artfully balanced flavors brought tears of joy to our eyes. Add to that the special way the wait staff treated us for our anniversary, and the romantic, secluded, and genuine setting of the old Inn and restaurant and we feel like we found our special place. The real wood burning fire place was a welcome greeting on a cold night, so much so that we found ourselves lingering there to reflect on the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple.. Nice.. RomanticVivegaDined on 1/15/2014We were there on a weekday for lunch to celebrate my husband's birthday.. The ambience was very romantic.. The food was delicious.. .The drive off from the city to the restaurant is fun and romantic too :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in the WoodsLamaFoodDined on 1/1/2014The Goodstone Inn & Estate is an ideal location for a romantic dinner. Excellent food, service and ambience. Plan to spend about $100 / person.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/30/2013Went the other night for our anniversary. Very cold night, but the big fireplace at the bar warmed us right up. Very romantic and classy. Had the chateaubriand for 2 and was arguably the best cut of meat I've ever had. It was served sliced tableside. We also had the gruyere potatoes in their own little croc...wow. The other gem was the French bread...light and crusty and just scrumptious.....we will be back! *a find*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Absolute GemAnnaDined on 12/30/2013The restaurant at the Goodstone Inn is an absolute gem. Nestled amind the rolling hills, the restaurant is inviting from the exterior as well as the interior. What continues to bring us back is the outstanding quality of the food. We dined there two nights, one of which was New Year's Eve, a night we typically stay away from restaurants. However the food and service were flawless. It was the nicest New Year's Eve we have spent dining out in quite some time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Great, Service LackingJAVADined on 12/28/2013Even though I am rating this average, I would try The Goodstone again. I am unsure if it was just an off-night or they were short-staffed, but the service was not on-par with other restaurants at this price point. May seem minor or nit-picky, but at +$100 a person, service can make or break an experience. There seemed to be no support staff for the servers, so water and wine glasses went empty. A couple of simple requests were forgotten, so we had to ask twice. Plates were set down on the table in a hurried manner, splashing the sauces over the edges of the plates. The food was above average, so we plan to try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great evening.JimboDined on 12/23/2013Our table was ready when we arrived. We had stayed at the Goodstone Inn a few years ago. This time we were there just for dinner. The restaurant is intimate. The service was friendly and efficient. The Dover sole , which was on the menu, was excellently prepared. The Sancerre, which was recommended, was an excellent choice to compliment the sole. All in all, it was a memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank youJohnDined on 12/14/2013As always, excellent food and wine. Even when the wait staff was down, everyone worked really hard to make sure the service was not impacted. Thank you for being so service conscientious in this day and age. It is much noted and appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goodstone RevisitedSteveCDined on 12/6/2013After an absence of almost a year, my wife and I returned to Goodstone. We were/are big fans of former Chef William Walden, and were very curious to see how things were going since his departure. To my surprise - and pleasure - it seems that things are going quite well. A delicate and complex lobster appetizer demonstrated some serious talent in the kitchen, and the Sea Bass and Chateaubriand was right there with Chef Walden's best, which is saying something. Stephen, the new manager has a splendid CV, and has the service operating at near perfection. Goodstone has not lost a step, and is, of course, still the most beautiful venue around. I will be back there shortly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amongst the BEST we've ever had!JE1058VIPDined on 12/5/2013For the same price as the higher-end "chains" (Mortons, RC, etc), you can dine here and have a MUCH better experience with much better food, more elegantly prepared. We were not rushed throughout our dining experience and savored the 2+ hours it took to enjoy the evening. The tableside-prepared Chateaubriand was cooked PERFECTLY and had an incredible flavor! The salads we ordered were some of the best salads we've ever had; the Bib Lettuce Salad was INCREDIBLE! French Onion soup is a favorite of mine and something I've had many times, but never with the rich, bold flavor this version offered. For dessert, the pear crisp with home made vanilla ice cream capped off the perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.