21381 South Western
Torrance, CA 90501Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://gonpachi.us/
- Phone: 3103206700
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Sunday: 6:00am - 11:00am
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Tomoyuki Jounten
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine
A word from Gonpachi
Gonpachi introduces its guests to a new level of contemporary Japanese cuisine, served in a fabulously authentic setting. From hand-pounded buckwheat soba noodles, to delicacies from the charcoal grill and of course sushi and rolls. You’ll embark on a culinary excursion that will excite your palate. We feature seating at our "Omakase" sushi bar as well as at our Sumi-Yaki bar, where your dinner is cooked over and open charcoal flame.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Gonpachi reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (9)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (4)special occasion (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Fabulous Food but very poor servicesaucekingDined on 8/26/2014Gonpachi has the best Japanese food I have ever had. Too bad the service was so bad that I doubt if we will go back. I do recommend the food but only if you are not hungry when you get there, waiting an hour for appetizers is too long when the restaurant is not busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once Again, GREAT GONPACHI!!!!!!!!!SusanBVIPDined on 8/23/2014We love this restaurant -- keep returning. We had the $55 combo dinner -- it was fabulous!!!!!!!!!! Great wines and great Service!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- laserDined on 8/21/2014My table was "reserved" but I was seated on the "couch" - I really don't understand why one would like to sit on the "couch" since 1) it's too soft and low; 2) you are sitting next to another person. The next time I make a reservation, I will make it for a booth or table.Special Features:
- Always GreatVeneziaDined on 8/20/2014We have had great big parties at the Hotel. Lunch here is just a little bit nicer than other places so great for a birthday or a business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice LunchsbdinerDined on 7/31/2014I have been to Gonpachi many times so I know that they changed their menu. The chicken katsu is very good -- white meat chicken with a tasty katsu sauce . They used to offer a lunch sized teriyaki salmon, but it is no longer on the menu. The regular salmon isn't as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SUCH GREAT FOOD!SusanBVIPDined on 7/22/2014We had the L.A. Food Week Menu and the food was different than the regular menu and it was great!!!! Igor waited on us and was so helpful in explaining all the different tastes. Once again, a great experience at Gonpachi!Special Features:
- Disappointment for DinelathemariVIPDined on 7/19/2014We were very disappointed with the choices for dinela and the wait time was horrible. First, they ran out of wagyu beef which left only two other selections. We askes if they can substitute something else for the meat and they said no. They were not accommodating at all. Next, they were out of a Riesling wine and then suggested a Rose chandon instead which not similar. Then the wait time for the meal was about 30-35 minutes. The food was good but we will not be returning any time soon.
- Lovely quiet dinnerMaryamVIPDined on 7/17/2014Great place. dineLA made us a dinner offer we couldn't refuse. The wagyu beef was amazing. The tuna and crispy rice definitely worth mentioning. So glad we finally tried this local gem.Special Features:
- PSILoveFoodVIPDined on 7/9/2014Very disappointing. Not authentic at all... Felt like a bit "Americanized".
- PSILoveFoodVIPDined on 7/2/2014Great Japanese restaurant with a great history related to the original "Gonpachi" in Japan.
- early lunchMonMonDined on 5/7/2014Get there at 11:45- it's empty - noon-1:30 is PACKED.Special Features:
- The following 175 reviews are from the Gonpachi reviews archive.
- Simple yet delectableIslandasianVIPDined on 3/25/2014This place has a fabulous decor. Love the chic feel to the restaurant and the food is prepared and presented in a beautiful manner. One thing that did lack was quick service. Food came out slowly so if you go to Gonpachi, expect a long dinner. But because the food was fabulous, I did not deduct any stars. Love all their dishes. Never have a bad meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT GONPACHI!!!!!!!SusanBVIPDined on 3/22/2014Once again, Gonpachi was a great dining experience! The food was intricate and delicious. Our server, Igor was exceptional -- explaining every course and very personable. We all loved it and had a great time!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceRachelDined on 3/18/2014The dining experience is a great one. Your customer service is pleasurable and the food is excellent. Thank you for always being consistent in taking care of the customers. I always recommend Gonpachi to guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT place for Torrence!AdSmithVIPDined on 3/7/2014Very clean, great food/service and authentic for America.Special Features:
- ChangesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/3/2014I wasn't as happy with my lunch experience this time. I've noticed a lot of the items that used to be in the salad bar are no longer offered. I thought it was a fluke the last few times I've been there. I really do miss the pickled vegetables. Also...the miso soup although much tastier this time, had no tofu. This has happened several times. Half way through the pot, and the tofu is wiped out. I think they should monitor this more often. The salmon was cooked perfectly, but I thought that it was strange that they now serve a scoop of mashed potatoes along with a bowl of rice. They should maybe add a steamed vegetable instead to keep it healthy/balanced. They used to serve potato salad which was very good, but still a lot of starch.Special Features:
- Valentine ’s Day saviorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014This restaurant mad it the best valentine’s day everSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite top Japanese restaurantLobatosanDined on 2/14/2014Best sushi in town! Top quality fish that melts in the mouth!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soGogoDined on 1/29/2014Service is not so good at front. They seem robots.I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineLAjennDined on 1/27/2014Tried Gonpachi out during restaurant week. Fantastic! I'm kicking myself for not going sooner.Special Features:
- Super fresh fish, melt inOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/25/2014Super fresh fish, melt in your mouth sushi, and other tasty creative dishes. Highly recommend the yellowtail jalapeno, buta kakuni, caterpillar roll and rainbow roll. Specialty cocktail list is short, but ALL are delicious, Golden Delicious and Ginger Mojito were both excellent. Ice cold draft beer too. Service is prompt, polite, and very nice. Only complaint is that they close so early on a weekend night. We got there at 8pm and it was relatively crowded by 9pm almost no one left, and by 10pm we were the last ones there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inexperienced staffKCkcDined on 1/25/2014The maitre d' & manager are inexperienced in handling the influx of patrons brought on by DINE LA. The receptionist asked usto wait, a waiter tried to be friendly & got nervous that we're waiting (15 secs.). He brought us into the dining area where we had to stand in the middle of the dining area listening to the staff indiscreetly discuss where to sit us. I was upset & told them I'd wait in the lobby until they figured it out. Then the manager announced loudly in British/Commonwealth accent that it was the only table they had. If we did not like it, there are none available. WAIT A MINUTE, THEY'RE trying to get us a table & now we're humiliated for their incompentency! NO APOLOGIES FROM ANYONE!!! VERY SAD FOR A REGULAR!Special Features:
- DineLA 2014MattQVIPDined on 1/25/2014Disappointed with the "Chef's Choice" for the sushi DineLA Option. Yellow tail, Tuna, Shrimp, Salmon....two pieces spicy tuna and two pieces california roll...you can find these at a buffet and the quality and cut size were similar to anywhere. I was expecting at least one or two true Omakase "special" sushi offerings. Maybe I should not have opted for Chef's Choice because my wife's Salmon was tasty. The appetizer choices (with the exception of the dumpling) were also a bit bland. Service was superb and attentive however.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Sushi BarDaveDined on 1/24/2014The appetizers were good and unusual and not that typical of most sushi bars. I enjoy hot sake but their only choice was not that good. It was served not hot enough and the taste left something to be desired - kind of weedy/fruity and not like any sake I have tasted. The regular sushi and rolls were typical and nothing special
- It was a bit expensive butJohnnyBDined on 1/23/2014It was a bit expensive but the food and service were great. Perfect for a business meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a very tasty and deliciousreviewVIPDined on 1/20/2014Had a very tasty and delicious meal at Gonpachi. We were there to try their DineLA menu and enjoyed the selections both visually and the taste. Appreciated the chef''s creativity of the tasting menu. Our service was excellent that evening, made for a wonderful and relaxing meal.Special Features:
- So good!ProvokerDined on 1/10/2014I arrived at the area the night before my GMAT exam, foreign to the area. I looked up the app for any Japanese Restaurant with no real expectation. Fast forward to leaving. Any expectation that i would have had were completely destroyed. Just from the first look of the appetizer, i knew the rest of the dinner is going to be fantastic. I was wrong. It was MORE THAN fantastic. I was still thinking of the food 3 days after that dinner. that's how good they were. you can't go wrong with this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- many times - always solidjbjbjbTOKYOdudeVIPDined on 1/4/2014I've eaten here MANY times and always a good product and decent service. Never exceptional service, but almost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went for a special NewMickieVIPDined on 1/1/2014We went for a special New Year buffet (Japanese style) for the first time and it was excellent. We were seated outdoor - normally January weather is not a great time to sit out in the patio area, but the weather was beautiful and lunch was delicious! My mother who is almost 80 years old loved it. Service was great too. I recommend this restaurant to anybody who enjoys Japanese cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Japanese FoodHappyLocavoreVIPDined on 12/22/2013Best overall Japanese food in South Bay. Excellent Soba, made on site. Excellent sashimi/sushi. Salad and soup bar are Japanese style, very fresh, and all you can eat. I have not had their burger but friends tell me it is pretty impressive. Service is top notch. This is our go to spot for Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table was given away despiteBrkrDaveVIPDined on 11/28/2013Table was given away despite the reservation and we were seated at the sushi bar. There were many tables available but they were hoping for some large groups that didn't arrive while we were there. Refills of the hot tea were hard to come by and the empty plates were not taken away promptly. Sushi was very fresh but the slice of fish was small. Roles were a better option.
- Good but puzzlingMTSMVIPDined on 11/17/2013Very nicely prepared food and attentive personable service. Puzzling item: Why is silverware substantial and beautiful, but chopsticks are the crummiest and most splintery?Special Features:
- Disappointing returnFinerdinerDined on 11/11/2013We have been at Gonpachi for at least ten times. The restaurant seems to be losing luster. Hyde dinner was not up to par. The dragon sushi plate and the pork chop were fair to bad. The service was good.Special Features:
- My go to lunch spotSherieVIPDined on 11/5/2013I love introducing my friends to Gonpachi. Most are surprised that the restaurant is in the hotel due to lack of a sign outside the hotel. The restaurant is the most beautiful Japanese restaurant in the Torrance. Today we felt like sushi and shared the edomae and temptation plate. Both were visually stunning and very generous. The maguro, Uni and ikura sushi were delicious. My friend loved the hamachi, salmon and snapper sushi. Our server took awhile to greet us but was attentive and friendly with a smile throughout our lunch. I will continue to keep coming back to GonpachiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely Lunch PlaceGinaDined on 10/22/2013Delicious food, ambience is a feast for the eyes & awesome staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Japanese in a hotelAnnabananaDined on 10/8/2013This hotel is aimed at Japanese traveling on business. In an area with a dearth of fine restaurants, if offers beautifully presented, fresh Japanese food. Service attentive and formal. The atmosphere is a bit sterile; large room, high ceilings. The salad bar and self-serve miso are nice touches. Good for entertaining business clients.Special Features:
- GBGinaDined on 9/21/2013Went back to try the Gonpachi Burger and was glad I did.. delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Atmosphere but Slow serveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/10/2013I had luch with client & ordered $28 lunch box. The food was not worth to the price & portion is small. The server was very frendly but I needed to ask other servers 2 times for service (request for box and bill). It took mabe 20 minutes to have the food. Only I like this restrant is the atmoshere. After going back to office, I found they charged $6 appetizer by mistake. I called them immediately and they said they will email me the revised receipt, but I have not received it yet. Next time I will take other restaurant to my clients. There are many other nice Japanese restaurants in Torrance.Special Features:
- Upscale, trendy, with good foodopenmindDined on 8/22/2013Nice place with a good menu. Mostly Japanese food, but the do have a good burger and fries for your picky friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner in TorrancePenelopeDined on 7/26/2013Food was great and ambiance is awesome. Modern decor, clean lines. Nice patio area for outdoor seating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.