9001 Sand Hill Road
Galena, IL 60136Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.goldmoor.com/goldmoor-inn-restaurant.htm
- Phone: 8157773925
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Thursday - Monday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Taylor Harkness
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Customized catering menu per clients request.
- Private Party Facilities: Dine at our chefs table, private dining room or Gazebo.
- Entertainment: Occasional special events, variety entertainment.
A word from Goldmoor Restaurant
Unmatched Old World decor, a diverse wine cellar, and premier personal service are all complemented by our chef"s creative cuisine. Enjoy dining in one of our cozy booths or elegant tables with breathtaking views overlooking the Mississippi River.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Goldmoor Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Galena ›
Goldmoor Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (20)romantic (19)special occasion (18)fit for foodies (6)notable wine list (4)good for groups (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Surprising gemGalenaGalDined on 9/18/2014We recently moved to the Galena area after having visited here for years and can't believe it took us this long to discover this place. We timed our reservations so we could watch the sunset from our table. The view was lovely. We had the cheese and chutney appetizer. SO good! Chutney house-made and delicious. I had the pork chops. They were flavorful and moist. I hesitated to order them because so often they end up dry and tough. Not these. The sweet potato mash was a perfect accompaniment. My husband had the portabella stack, which he loved. The tomato vodka sauce was perfect. Service was friendly and relaxed. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still My Favorite!Dinnerfor2Dined on 9/5/2014Goldmoor has done it again providing a fabulous dinner and atmosphere with beautiful views of the Mississippi River from the all-season Gazebo. The restaurant was gracious enough to accommodate my special requests (we were celebrating our anniversary). My husband and I have eaten at the Goldmoor several times and are pleased that the quality of our meals have consistently been exceptional. So much so that we had dinner there every night of our stay in Galena. My husband enjoyed the 16 oz bone in Ribeye (medium), which he professes is one of the best he has ever had (he ordered it both nights). I tried two different entrees, night one was stuffed pork chop with potato celery mash and night two was Orecchiette & Bay Scallops...delicious!!Special Features:
- Ok food, terrible serviceTheAnswerIsMiataDined on 8/31/2014I've had quite a few 100+ meals in my life, but this one was not deserving of the menu prices. Ambiance was great, but when we arrived they seemed confused and taken aback by our arrival. They offered us to wait at the bar, but there was no bartender. We waited for 10 minutes before someone arrived and when I ordered a Whiskey neat, I had to explain what that was. We were then seated, but our service was abysmal. We waited 15 minutes before our server took our order. We placed our orders (two orders of the Beef Wellington). The beef was alright, not the best not the worst. But the Demi Glace and the Mashed potatoes were awful. Demi Glace had no beefiness and the potatoes we not cooked through, resulting in a VERY chunky potato.Special Features:
- Fantastic!serpentladyDined on 8/25/2014We loved our meal, atmosphere, wine! It was our 30th wedding anniversary and we took my uncle and aunt there. Scallops and oriechette were amazing! So tasty! We sat overlooking the Mississippi River - it was so beautiful. Waitstaff was terrific! Would definitely go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must!MarjoeDined on 8/24/2014While in Galena celebrating our anniversary, we had dinner at the Goldmoor. The server was wonderful, food was served at the right pace and the food was outstanding. The beef wellington was to die for. Don't miss this gem.Special Features:
- Gold moor InnDbqhokieDined on 8/11/2014A wonderful restaurant and inn. Staff knowledgeable and attentive. A great evening consistently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef WellingtonfoodiefromFLDined on 8/9/2014We all ordered your specialty, Beef Wellington. Two people ordered it medium rare and it came barely pink. Mine was cooked medium as I ordered, but not as tender as I thought it should be. For the price of our dinner, appetizers, and drinks we thought everything was above the average but not outstanding as we had hoped. The service was outstanding...the best part of the evening.
- AmazingFuntimes2getherDined on 8/7/2014We very much enjoyed our evening dinner at the Goldmoor Inn. It was the perfect atmosphere, quiet and calm. Plus the view was beautiful and the food was outstanding! We highly recommend this restaurant and are looking forward to another chance to eat there again in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantGreatDined on 7/31/2014A friend recommended this restaurant when I told her we were going to go to Galena. Glad she did. The food was spectacular, service was perfect and we will recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Night?ArtbackDined on 7/19/2014We arrived promptly at our 7:45 PM reservation and were seated quickly. This is a beautiful venue with a watershed overlook and sunset views. Everything was terrific for the first 5-10 minutes, then things fell apart. Service was atrociously slow, infrequent, unfriendly and unresponsive. Food was fair at best. Presentation was very good, yet the underlying characteristics of taste, quality and temperature were underwhelming. My profession is within the Foodservice industry and I eat out almost daily. High end restaurants are frequented for business lunches and dinners. This experience ranks near the bottom of any fine dining experience I have had in the last 2 years. Don't bring kids or teens as there are no suitable menu choices.Special Features:
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/3/2014Affordable elegant dinner with great views. The portions were generous and delicious.Special Features:
- A Hidden GemLuvtoDineDined on 6/27/2014The restaurant is in a European castle like building out in the country. The back of the hotel overlooks the Mississippi River, but you are very high up. The ambience of the hotel is spectacular. The food is pretty good.Special Features:
- GoldmoordinnerDined on 6/21/2014Setting was beautiful. Dinner was disappointing. I had the mahi and it was overcooked. My husbands stuffed pork chop was just average. Service was good but very slow. The wine list was nothing special. Our experience did not live up to our expectations.Special Features:
- Good, but spoiledOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2014We were so happy with our seating. There were 8 ladies and we were escorted to a little house just outside the dining room. The setting was beautiful. We almost all ordered the Beef Wellington, which tasted great but was not prepared the way each lady ordered. All cooked through…..we requested rare, med-rare, med, but none ordered well done. Then the wine….we ordered a bottle and he brought a different label…never asking if this was ok. The waiter left us alone a lot which some of the ladies did NOT like. He also told us he would do separate checks, which he didn"t do! We might go back but I'm not sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGluvnlifeDined on 6/13/2014We planned on eating at the Goldmoor for one night, and then try a local dining for our 2nd night, but after our amazing food, we didn't go anywhere else. we ended up eating here 2 nights in a row. We first got the bone-in ribeye, which was mouth watering and cooked to perfection. Next night I ordered the Tuna, which was delicious! Slightly dry, but flavorful, and I know Tuna is a little dry anyway. My husband ordered the beef Wellington, which was AMAZING. I had one bite, and it just melted in my mouth. He loved every bite. His only complaint was that the Wellington was a little more salty tasting than he likes. From the fresh, beautiful salad, to the fresh bread and butter infused with honey and lavendar, to our main course..DELICIOUS!Special Features:
- Memorable 10th Anniversary!FoodieVIPDined on 6/12/2014Living in Galena we have many fine dining option so on a special occasion we plan for a very special dining experience. The Goldmoor did not let us down. Their signature Beef Wellington was fabulous. My husband had the ribeye which was excellently prepared. The asparagus and salad also exceptional. The presentation of every plate was gorgeous and the pace of the meal just right - leisurely without ever leaving us feeling like we were forgotten. The views of the sunsetting over the Mississippi were the perfect backdrop for our romantic dinner. Dessert was lovely - the carrot cake moist and flavorful, the lemon whip cake just tart enough to provide a clean finish to a wonderful evening. Thank you for making our anniversary so special.Special Features:
- Beautiful dinnerSlbrannickDined on 6/7/2014Atmosphere beautiful, food presentation wonderful,service attentive,but our server had to do drinks,serve food,and bus.There was no other wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 228 reviews are from the Goldmoor Restaurant reviews archive.
- WHAT A DISASTER !!BigmanDined on 5/17/2014It was 30 minutes before the waiter arrived. We ordered drinks. He returned to tell us that they were out of the selected wine. The table next to us stated that they were out of the first three wines that they ordered. Service the entire night was horrible. We only saw one waiter the entire night. There were no other servers to help bring out the food. There was no bartender. The waiter had to mix the drink and retrieve the wines. Skipping all of the details, it took two and a half hours to receive our entrée’s. When the food finally arrived, it was terrible. The potatoes and vegetables were cold for everyone. All of the entrées were lukewarm. One of our party ordered the beef wellington medium rare. It was served extra well done.
- wonderfullittleg50Dined on 5/17/2014everything was very nice,soft music,lovely view,quiet and peaceful. The food was excellent and the service was very good. I would recommend the Goldmoor to all my friends who are looking for a place to spend an enjoyable evening. The grounds surrounding the building are breath-taking, very beautiful and well taken care of.Special Features:
- Horrible Service, Mediocre Food814Ann2012Dined on 5/3/2014We had a reservation for 6:45. We finally got water at 6:55. Our drink orders were taken by 7:15. We ordered by 7:30 and our food came at about 9:00 and it was undercooked and cold. They comped our liquor and dessert, but we will not go back. There are too many great restaurants in Galena for us to waste our time here. It is really a shame as it is a beautiful venue and we went last year and were completely satisfied.
- Worth the driveMarandTerDined on 4/13/2014We have been to Goldmoor Restaurant several times and have never been disappointed. The food is always fresh and fabulous, the service is always attentive and the atmosphere superb.....all well worth the drive! We will be back in Galena in August and can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy BirthdaySerendipityDined on 4/6/2014You can tell why we went. We stayed in the English Cottage. It has a private drive with an individual parking spot. Breakfast is included and will be delivered to your Cottage at your request. There is a good view of the Mississippi River from your cottage. The are railway tracks about a mile away; however, from inside the cottage the trains are only slightly noisy. You can hear them easily from outside. We liked it well enough that my wife and I plan on returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Left something to be desiredOrdTravelGirlVIPDined on 4/5/2014The food was delicious and beautifully plated. The service, however, was not up to par. We waited over 15 minutes before our waitress greeted us (keep in mind there were only 3 other tables in the entire restaurant). It was 30 minutes before we even got our salads. And our water glasses, despite multiple promises to refill, were empty almost the entire meal. I'd say you can find similar quality food elsewhere with better service. The view was nice but the freight trains were noisy.Special Features:
- Wonderful food, great serviceMTanDined on 3/8/2014Had a spectacular dinner! Off-season in Galena; we were the only couple in the restaraunt (perched at the top of a bluff with a scenic overlook). Linda, was awesome! Very knowledgable about both the food and the wine list. She was discreetly attentive, almost telepathic in appearing at the perfect time when needed; never obtrusive. Started with a cheese and chutney plate - straight forward. I ordered beef wellington mid-rare. Puff pastry was perfect; beef was slightly more medium along the edges, but improved in the center (the challenge of cooking beef wellington). Side of carrot spears were to die for. Wife had the crispy duck breast. Nice large breast portion cooked perfectly. The veggi ragu was vey enjoyable. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goldmoor in the winternightoutDined on 2/22/2014Very quiet relaxing pleasant evening. Dinner was excellent. I highly recommend the Goldmoor if you are in the Galena area and are looking for a quiet, out of the way excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic PlaceMax123Dined on 2/15/2014Very nice place with great food and beautiful view. My wife and I loved this place. It is tucked away in the woods on the hill. Very relaxing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Colossal disappointmentALorDined on 2/15/2014My husband ordered the Osso bucco and it had the texture of a super ball. He gave me a bite and I had to spit it out into my napkin. My "crispy" duck was more of a struggle than a meal. It was served a top a watery broth with potatoes and carrots of various sizes...so not consistently cooked. I worked so hard to cut through the chewy fat layer I risked splattering my blouse. I think we fared better than those before us as there was dried food stuck to our seat from previous patrons. Ew. Thankfully we filled up on some nice wine and ate all of our salad. The chocolate cake was not worth the calories. It really didn't taste like chocolate....but more like olive oil. The French toast breakfast the next morning was wonderful however.Special Features:
- Great Valentines DinnerSkipBVIPDined on 2/14/2014Had a great dinner with my wife on Valentines Day. My bone in Rib-Eye was excellent and cooked exactly how I requested.. Also found out you can bring your own wine for a small corkage fee. Will definitely be going back to this hidden gem. Next time will try to reserve the private dining in the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Our evening started out wonderful but after we were seated and handed menus they sort of forgot about us. It was a half hour before my wife got the attention of a waitress so we could order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Gem of Galena DiningBillDined on 1/23/2014Outstanding food and presentation. Service always flawless. Our favorite restaurant in Galena and one of our two or three favorites in the U.S. Worth a special trip of many miles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!JenjoeDined on 12/30/2013The goldmoor was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. The inn and its views are stunning, the food incredible, and the service is warm, friendly and does not rush you at all. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceAnniversaryCoupleDined on 12/23/2013Everything was wonderful! We celebrated our 29th anniversary with our good friends. This was a great place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/16/2013Stumbled upon this place. Its cozy and the food was amazing. Will be returning again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the tripOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/7/2013This was our first trip to Goldmoor, after visiting Galena several times a year. The hotel/restaurant is a distance from downtown. We hired a cab, the road was winding. The food and service was excellent - thank you to Linda and LeRoy. The Beef Wellington and Ribeye dinners were both wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationDinner42Dined on 12/1/2013I brought my husband for his birthday. Taylor addressed us saying he would be our chef and server. He did not miss a beat. The service was spot on. The food was delicious. The ambience was cozy and elegant. We look forward to our next dinner at the Goldmoor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent DinnerdinneroutDined on 11/29/2013We ate at the Goldmoor and had a wonderful time. Our dinner date fell on a Friday night. We had 5 adults in our party. Goldmoor had a Christmas Carol dinner in the other dinning room. We were placed in a private room that seated 8-10. The wine list looked fantastic. 3 of our party ordered the Beef Wellington and said it was deliciious. 2 others ordered the ribeyes and were also very pleased. The soups were excellent. Dessert was very delicious. Highly recommend this place. It's a must go to place in Galena, IL Sue was our server and was attentive to every detail. The Caretaker, Lee gave us a tour of the grounds after dinner. We will definately be back!Special Features:
- A Hidden Gem of a Restaurant!LindyhopDined on 11/23/2013This was our first time dining at the Goldmoor and it was one of the best dinners and evenings we have had in a long time. The food was superb, great service and ambience. We were offered a tour of the kitchen when we finished dinner.. young enthusiastic chefs and a spotless kitchen. We plan to return in a month and probably many times after that. What a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinning Experience in GalenaKdmak5Dined on 11/17/2013We had a wonderful time there at our most recent visit to Galena. Wonderful Service, Food, and Views! Great place for all to enjoy!Special Features:
- We love the food.YoungDined on 11/3/2013The Goldmoor offers great menu selections. We are always interested in seeing what is new on each seasonal menu. The dishes are simple but very unique, there is always something new for us to try, we love this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scenic view and RomanticHeatherDined on 10/19/2013The food was really good hands down. The Pumpkin soup was delish. I was disappointed in the level of service. Dinner took over 2 hours because there was a wedding going on. Our server was not very nice and seemed very frustrated. It ruined my experience. I took my husband here for his birthday and our sweetest day dinner. It is great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.