1600 Genessee Suite 100
Kansas City, MO 64102Neighborhood:
Downtown / River Market
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://goldenox.com/
- Phone: 8168422866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 3:00pm -9:00pm, Wednesday - Friday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Stephen Greer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a full catering menu from steaks to barbecue to traditional food. We cater parties from 20 to 2,000.
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private dining rooms in the restaurant. One seats up to 25, while the other seats 90. We also have access to private dining facilities at the American Royal Complex with rooms that can handle groups from 25 to 500.
- Private Party Contact: Bill Teel 8168422866
A word from Golden Ox
The Golden Ox is Kansas City's oldest steakhouse opened in 1949. The restaurant is a traditional steakhouse offering the finest aged and hand-cut steaks cooked over an open charcoal fire. We also offer great Kansas City style barbecue and a nice selection of seafood and other fare. We are located in the historic Stockyard District and the decorations include a number of photographs from the stockyard days. The restaurant has a distinctive western feel including a carpet containing branding iron and steer head designs and a 20 foot mural in the bar depicting an 1800's cattle drive. Wear your jeans and cowboy hat or business suit when you visit the Golden Ox, the real reason Kansas City is famous for steaks.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Golden Ox reviews from OpenTable diners
39 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (22)good for groups (17)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (8)romantic (7)fit for foodies (7)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)hot spot (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- GOLDEN OXOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014We had a great time. the bar was great place for conversation not too loud. food was terrific. wait staff was very attentive.Special Features:
- excellent dinnerKansasCityFanDined on 8/3/2014We had family in from out of town who wanted to experience Kansas City steak. Golden Ox provided an excellent meal. The service was exceptional! It is pricey so we would probably only go here on special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Memories!77kansasfarmerDined on 7/19/2014I'd been to Golden Ox as a child in the 60s--it was always a very special occasion when my parents took me down to the Stockyards to see the cattle and then top it off with dinner at the Golden Ox. I haven't been there for years and this time I returned as an adult with several friends from Europe and we were all very impressed. The service was fantastic and we had a lot of fun with the "Trivial Pursuits" game at the table and the waiter was very attentive and friendly. The food was, as always, excellent--the #1 address for steaks in Kansas City!! I hope to return here someday with my children and tell them the story of K.C.--the Cowtown!Special Features:
- WildWillieDined on 7/18/2014The appitizers were a meal in itself. I ordered the porterhouse and was cooked to perfection. Unfortunately my wife's prime rib was overcooked. The staff was friendly and very attentive. We ordered wine with our meal and the second glass came in a champaine glass with the explenation that they were out of wine glasses. Overall I'd reat the Golden Ox as a 2 1/2 out of 5. Very pricey for the meal for 2 ($140 with tip).Special Features:
- Great NightBadFromYouthDined on 7/11/2014Service was amazing, food was great, I had no complaints what so ever. I will be spreading the word about this amazing RestaurantSpecial Features:
- JamesDined on 6/25/2014Back when a great spot, today run down and not worthy, steak was good, not great, service was just over whelmed and punchy at best.
- cowboy22Dined on 6/25/2014Great food and outstanding service. Really enjoyed the service from our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good from historical standpointeatingoutDined on 6/24/2014Interesting location from a historical standpoint being in the livestock exchange building and with historical murals / pictures. Had a number of wait staff so no issue there. Price quite high for quality. Supposed to be the best place for steaks, but both steaks were chewy. Ribs were over cooked and dry. Early in evening and already out of burnt ends. Didn't have liquor stocked to make a standard simple cocktail that was ordered. Took guests there and wouldn't do it again.
- Great Character!KCNewbieDined on 6/20/2014Had family visiting and step-father had been to the Golden Ox back when he was in high school (late 1950's) and wanted to go back. The food was good but the real highlight was the history of the restaurant and the area! Our server was really friendly and provided great service. As we were leaving another server, who had heard us discussing the restaurant came over and gave us so much information on the restaurant, area, and building and took us on a little tour. His enthusiasm was contagious. I wish I would have caught his name so I could recommend him! The food was good, the service was outstanding!Special Features:
- No optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014My family came in for Father's Day. I was excited to eat a steak, but was not given a choice. I was not handed a menu and had to eat the Father's Day buffet. My kids and wife weren't given a choice either. We all would have liked to at least look at a menu. I might come back and try a steak, but was very disappointed.Special Features:
- Still good steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014We took my father-in-law there for a Father's Day Dinner, he used too be a regular there 25 years ago. The first comment he made was "my God the place still looks the same". That probably sums up our visit. The steaks were just as good as he remembered, good service but definitely a very dated facility. Given the fact that the prices are comparable to most nice restaurants in the KC metro area, I would probably not recommend it for the location or ambiance. Better suited to large group gatherings.Special Features:
- Still great!KcdinerVIPDined on 6/11/2014The food here is as good as ever; the steak burgers are great, the service is awesome, and the pit beans are phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/10/2014I used to love the golden ox steaks. Now not so much they came cooked at the wrong temperature and very little seasoning. The strip had the taste and texture of boiled meat. The fillet cut was good but no flavor. This is not the golden I ox I remember.
- Great staffgreatfoodDined on 6/2/2014Our wait staff made our dining experience great. We had a large group with out of town family and they are now fans of kc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ComingBackDined on 6/1/2014The waiters and waitress were top notch. Food Great! we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Next time we are back in KC, we will be coming to see you. Keep up the good job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Golden Ox gets a golden starOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/24/2014The food was delicious and reasonably priced. We dined there kind of late on a Saturday night so it seemed a little dead. However, I didn't mind. Our food came out pretty quick and our server did a good job checking up on us-- not too often, but just enough. I would recommend the restaurant to anyone visiting KC (like we were) and obviously to the locals. It's not an everyday dining experience but for special occasions or those times you need to treat yourself, this would be a good place to go.Special Features:
- Great Brisket - Historical SiteFresnoDBAVIPDined on 5/20/2014Interesting and notable history. Signs of age, but they can cook meat. Tried the BBQ combo plate. All was flavorful. However the brisket was the best by far. Tender and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucket listAnniversaryDined on 5/17/2014For 23 years we were going to go to the Golden Ox for our anniversary but always ended up going to another favorite designation. This year we actually made it to the Golden Ox and can now scratch it off our bucket list as wouldn't do again. There was no atmosphere except for the appreciation of history and how old the Ox is. Employees didn't create any atmosphere and you had the feeling they were just doing their job and not a passion for what they do. My wife ordered a KC strip that had to be returned for a different cut because the KC strip was awful. I will say the second serving was much better and no hassle getting the exchange. We were very disappointed with the Golden Ox but have many more anniversary's to celebrate.Special Features:
- Excellent for All on Special DaysDisappointedDined on 5/11/2014The special occasion buffets on Easter Sunday, Mother's Day, and Father's Day are always favorites of ours. Excellent selection of prime foods on the buffet, with the usual ambience and service of Golden Ox. Very good for an opportunity to enjoy the food of Golden Ox, at a family price, that can meet the dining needs of anyone. It seems my/our nickname is "Disappointed" even though there was only one time we were disappointed. All other dining experiences at Golden Ox have been very good to excellent, with superb food, excellent service, and the atmosphere is always fine. Even though our review name seems to be permanently "Disappointed" it is important to note that, except for one time, we have NOT been disappointed.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BuffetLandsbergsVIPDined on 5/11/2014Everything was fine there but truthfully it is hard to do a good buffet. I like a more done piece of prime rib and that was virtually impossible as it was all rare. I never saw the ham that was advertised in the paper. Often food in a buffet is hard to keep warm and so that part is not your fault........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day lunchMidwestVisitorDined on 5/11/2014Took my Mother & my family of five, including a 18 month old, 5yr old, & 8 yr old to Golden Ox for their Mother's Day buffet. The buffet was very average, & they didn't have any healthy kid friendly beverages. Just soda, tea, & coffee. So we opted for water. It's been years since I've been at the Golden Ox, & the last time I had a steak at dinner, & it was very good. I'll probably come back for another steak, but not for their buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014My experience with Sunday's buffet was good, but does not compare to a couple alumni luncheons, three or four dinners and one evening gathering we had with KCMO's Greg Napp. All those experiences rated excellent. We'll be back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014Food was terrific and the service was warm and professionalSpecial Features:
- Very nicetjwIIIDined on 5/11/2014The food was very good, made with good ingredients and was very tasty. The brunch buffet had a good variety of meats and sides. The service was excellent, helpful and very friendly. In a historic district, the Golden Ox is a Kansas City gem.Special Features:
- not what it used to bekcdinerDined on 5/10/2014We went on mothers day and they had a buffet. It looked dried out. We had asked for menus and they told us our sides had to come off the crusty buffet and the only thing we could order was steak. That place used to be great. Now it looks run down, serves old food, and has rude/disorganized staffing.
- Great Prime RibPrimeRib11Dined on 5/9/2014It's an historic place that serves great steak...espically Prime Rib. I''ve been going there for over 20 years. It's a great place to get a fresh steak...not frozen like some of the other steak restaurants in KC. If it wasn't for the Steak. The service there would be worth the trip. My wife gets the combo plate and loves it. It's a cattlemans steak place. Old stockyards motif. I wouldn't take a first date there unless she was crazy about Prime Rib. I've been too alot of steak restaurants in this country. The Golden OX ranks right up there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 121 reviews are from the Golden Ox reviews archive.
- Great Steak; Decor OutdatedGmawannabeDined on 4/26/2014I had the Ribeye steak and it was the best steak I've eaten. It was cooked to perfection and extremely tender. The house salad and grilled asparagus were nothing to write home about. Although the table was clean and the waitress did a good job, the decor left me feeling we had stepped back in time and not in a good way. I would come back for the steak occasionally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeNormDined on 4/23/2014My plate was ribs, baked beans, cold slaw and bread. More food than I could eat! Took the rest home with me. Got to meet one of the owners and rec'd. a brief history of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014The host was very welcoming to us. The presentation of food was very nice and everyone was moving through the line at a good pace. The waiter was good. We arrived at 1pm and our table was ready. There was little shrimp available at the time we went through the line. The meat was a little tough; not at your usual standard. The only dessert available was the jello mix; it was very good. I did notice that more desserts were brought out later. I had a guest from California and she was pleased to experience this famous restaurant! All of the food was delicious. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably good holiday buffetRonBDined on 4/20/2014My family has chosen Golden Ox for Thanksgiving and Easter for the last several years. The buffet is reliably good, with plenty of "comfort foods" available to satisfy everyone. There is always plenty of fresh, hot, food. Although they are very busy at these times, the service is excellent, the servers provide drinks and remove plates as if it were a regular meal service. We always go with an Open Table reservation and we get in with little or no waiting either on time or even a little bit before our reservation time.Special Features:
- NostalgiclovetocookDined on 4/18/2014One of Kansas City's remaining true gems, step back in time and enjoy what it was like in the old "supper club" venues. The awesome original cowboy decor is a real treat. Excellent menu with traditional steal house favorites along with new and exciting meals are offered.Special Features:
- OopsKdalingDined on 3/29/2014We hadn't been there for a while, and chose Golden Ox because we wanted a steakhouse experience. Our seating was for 7:15 and they were on-time. Our server informed us they were out of the Porterhouse and Prime Rib and the famous carrot cake. What's up with that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic steak housePatrickkcDined on 3/29/2014It's like stepping back I to time, my service, food and experience was great! Can't wait to return! Great for birthdays or out of town guest. The history of kc stock yards as you walk in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not ImpressedKellyDined on 3/14/2014First time here for hubby and me. I ordered burnt ends and they were TOO burnt and very difficult to eat. The onions rings fell apart and I was left eating either onion or batter, but never both at same time, so I didn't finish them. Cole slaw was bland. Went with another couple (who had been here several times) for my hubby's and his friend's birthday. Despite the fact I was not impressed, the boys ordered steak and said they were very good, but this is my review, not theirs! The place is a little dated and could use a bit of an upgrade. Our server was very nice and did an excellent job. Very doubtful I'll go back. Wasn't impressed with the food, and not worth the cost and the drive to get there.Special Features:
- Always interestingBradhDined on 2/15/2014It's always a fun and interesting trip to the Golden Ox. The Burnt Ends as an appetizer was terrific! No one in KC has burnt ends like this. Perhaps the best part of our meal. I had the ribeye, which was marginal. My wife had the filet and it was fantastic. The service, including the wine tasting experience, was quirky. Our waiter and wine expert were friendly and accommodating. The ambiance and atmosphere is unlike anywhere else in town. A fun night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another night with my friendcowboykazDined on 2/15/2014Took my old friend who just came to KC from Japan on the same night (his first US experience). He mentioned that this food changed his perception toward American beef steak. Perception=not much marbling meet makes very chewy, not tasty. Your prim rib was opposite=not much marbling, but very tender and tasty. Glad that I took him to your place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough meatmeatDined on 2/15/2014I ordered KC Strip which was tough. Wife ordered Prime Rib which was also tough. Her baked potato was lukewarm, I had to wait for my potato after steaks were delivered. They were out of White Zin wine which my wife ordered. When bill came we were charged for the wine she didn't get. Had to wait for ticket to be changed.
- not worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014$80 for 2 people. The steak was a poor cut and poorly cooked, the salad was from a bag and tasted like it. The loaded baked potato was very good. Silverware wasn't polished, chair wasn't clean. I expect more for $80. Chain steak joints have better food for half the cost. Very disappointed.
- The Ox was awesomekcstreetDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend to the Golden Ox for Valentine's day. Neither of us had been there before and we were both impressed. We had a reservation and the table was ready on time even though the restaurant was very busy. The service was excellent and the prime rib would melt in your mouth, we will definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I went there for valentine's day. We waited 10 minutes before we saw a waiter. The we asked do a wine list and he disappeared again for 5 minutes. Then they where out of the wine my wife order at 7:15. We then order a 35 dollar kc strip that had no flavor at all. The worst steak I have had at a steak restaurant.