1744 NW Market Street
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.golden-beetle.com/
- Phone: (206) 706-2977
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Maria Hines
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can offer you a sit-down dinner for up to 12 people in the comfort of your own home, complete with service staff. Or, if you are interested in hosting a larger event in your home, we can offer passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers for up to 50 people.
- Special Events: In the restaurant we can offer you a semi-private sit-down dinner for groups of 16 to 30 people or a cocktail party for up to 45 people with passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers.
A word from Golden Beetle
Golden Beetle is rooted in the spices and flavors of the Mediterranean. Our Chef and owner Maria Hines was a 2009 James Beard Award winner for best Chef Northwest. Maria has recently been bestowed with the honor of being a semi-finalist for the James Beard 2013 most outstanding chef. Maria draws upon the cultures of Turkey, Greece, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt and others to present the Northwest’s best organic and seasonal ingredients from local farmers and foragers. Golden Beetle is the third restaurant in the country to receive Oregon Tilth’s esteemed organic certification. We invite you to enjoy exceptional craft cocktails and exquisite, Mediterranean food prepared with a sustainable conscience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Golden Beetle reviews from OpenTable diners
69 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (44)special occasion (20)good for groups (17)romantic (11)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (7)hot spot (6)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (5)notable wine list (5)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great Food, Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014The food was amazing, but the service was definitely lacking. We had 2 waitresses and neither seemed very interested in our table. They brought all of our food at once (even though we were told they would pace it out), didn't check back on us so we could re-order drinks, and didn't offer us dessert menu. I would give it another chance, but with so many amazing restaurants, it will be awhile before I am back. Hopefully, they have some turnover and more training in the meantime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Ballard BetPhinRidgDinerDined on 11/15/2014Reasonably interesting if not greatly memorable food in a moderately energetic environment. Differentiates itself well in Ballard's strong and diverse dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014Great gluten free menu. They make fish taste good. And I never find good fish at a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Enjoyed It! Great FoodBallardSeniorDined on 11/2/2014Like the quiet, food was great, portions small. But the brunch menu did not prepare two of our group for a plate full of fried potatoes with their meal. Lots of potatoes left on plates.... would have liked other side choices or at least being warned. Will try again and see if we can cut out the potato "fillers". Really good potatoes by the way, about 4 or 5 cubes on the plate would be fine, just not a plateful.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014My girlfriend and I shared two different appetizers and entrees. Each one was so delicious we relished each bite. I would go back in a heart beat. My girlfriend had eaten there the day before and had enjoyed the food so much she said it was a pleasure to eat there two days in a row.Special Features:
- Great Food OfferingsHungryManDined on 10/29/2014Golden Beetle featured a full menu of gluten free items that were delicious. Thanks - HSpecial Features:
- Great food - excellent service!yummyfunDined on 10/28/2014Stopped in for the fall 3 for $30 dinner. There 4 choices for each course, and we were a group of 4, so we just ordered and shared the whole menu, which worked out great. Every thing was very delicious. Started out with appetizers, then mains, and on to fantastic deserts. My favorite main was the lamb pizza. It looks a little plain, but the second it makes it makes it to your mouth - wow! It is spectacular! In addition to fantastic food, the service was excellent. This was a great experience, and I will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HalloumiTheshibDined on 10/28/2014The Crispy Halloumi Cheese salad is excellent. The lamb pizza is a little dry and salty. I like it okay but wouldn't order it again. I think the grapefruit basil soda is too sweet. The Restaurant Week chicken dish is fantastic! Overall we enjoyed our experience there and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Lunch at Golden BeetlegoodfoodjunkieDined on 10/28/2014Had a lovely lunch with a good friend at the Golden Beetle in Ballard. I have eaten Dinner at the Golden Beetle before and was not aware it was open for lunch, so it was a nice treat. The tastes at the Golden Beetle always amaze me and at this particular meal I had the best french fries ever! Delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodBSimmonsDined on 10/25/2014The menu was creative. The flavors were fantastic. Really attentive service. All good reasons to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, but service lacked.CoryoDined on 10/23/2014The food was delicious and the serving sizes were perfect. However, the service left something to be desired. We were sat promptly (we had reservations) and the waitress took our drink order and brought them back. But then she disappeared for 25 minutes. We finally ordered another round of drinks from the bartender and asked him to track down our waitress so we could order our food. We were seated at a table, not the bar, and it just wasn't that busy. It was very odd. However that being said the I would give it another try and also recommend to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Kick Off SuccessJackieDined on 10/19/2014This was our first time at the Golden Beetle and we will be coming back. We had a party of 4; 3 of us ordered from the Restaurant Week menu and were pleased with our selections. The Salmon Kefta 1st course was by far the best bite of the night - perfectly prepared and delicious! Another must try - Black Walnut Baklava - amazing! We would have rated this experience a 5 but the parsnip soup was served luke warm and very bland. Staff was very helpful and friendly too. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentCD7274Dined on 10/18/2014Very good food, excellent service, pleasant surroundings.Special Features:
- I expected so much morepl43Dined on 10/4/2014We opted for the the 3 course sampler meal and a few appetizers thinking it was our anniversary so "why not live it up." Well unfortunately the fare was far from fabulous. The couscous was wet, the eggplant was mush, the falafel was like burnt hockey pucks and salmon stuffed peppers were overpowered by the heat. Also an important note on reservations, if you make them they will not offer you the happy hour menu. Funny enough although we made reservations for 5:30 and just opted to go early at 5:00 (we are parents of a newborn so we eat like early birds) they still wouldn't offer us their happy hour menu because our name was listed originally under a reserved table. The place was dead we didn't even need reservations.
- Loved this place!morticiasmorselsDined on 10/3/2014Portions were just right, flavors were outstanding, and the combinations were artsy enough without being so strange you didn't feel adventurous. We tried 4 different flavors of the homemade sodas that were divine, split a triple dip hummus platter that rocked the taste buds, devoured our entrees of steak and chicken and finished with fabulous coffee and these beautiful little donuts that were just the right size. Service was attentive, ambiance was light and airy...Special Features:
- goodlyjonesDined on 9/28/2014Very enjoyable. The only downfalls were it took like forevah to get the salad, and the decor was hard on my eyes. Luckily the salad was excellent as well as the rest of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maria Hines does it again!!!obiwongDined on 9/27/2014We like The Golden Beetle even better than Tilth, which is excellent. The menu looks small, but it is very diverse and very creative in every way. The chickpea stew is an explosion of flavor and texture by itself (we ordered the Merguez on the side). Excellent flatbread and pizza. The crust is light, fluffy and crisp (so rare to nail all 3 at once) and is distinctive from and comparable to Serious Pie our #1 favorite for pizza in Seattle. Excellent Happy Hour and the bar has a number of exotic syrups (and therefore cocktails) made in-house. We will be back and will be bringing friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dine here a couple of times a monthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2014I always enjoy coming to this restaurant. I have never had a bad meal here and often times I have had great meals with friends. I find the staff is very good and the guests seem well looked after. I always order the special cocktail and have been introduced to some great drinks and ingredients. It has become my families default neighborhood restaurant when I we want to go out.Special Features:
- Unique food, Great cocktailsDinnerbatDined on 8/30/2014The Golden Beetle has unique food with a Middle Eastern twist. All of our party of 5 found something to enjoy. Several of us enjoyed the variety of cocktails. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Off night?MeloDDined on 8/30/2014Terrible experience! Maybe they had an off night...the four of us were very unpleasantly surprised...one teaspoon each of hummus that had an overpowering flavor of either smoked paprika or chipotle,tzatziki that was basically yogurt...and baba ganoush that was too salty and had no texture ,one tiny scoop of ice cream that had ice crystals and had a strong cinnamon flavor and a very forgettable and small pizza...we were embarrassed to have our friends join us for such a disappointing meal,we won't be back...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The food was good with interesting seasoning. The environment is a little tired and needs to be updated. It has potential but needs a little energy.
- GO HERENiadDined on 8/23/2014If you like good food and enjoy interacting with the staff this a place for you Good food and good peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticsguenetteDined on 8/23/2014The Golden Beetle is a favourite of ours and we always make sure we stop there on our Seattle trip. I've yet to have a dish that did not deliver on taste and quality.Special Features:
- Trouble with SeasoningsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Expectations for the first visit were high -- love Tilth -- but went to Golden Beetle for brunch on a weekend day -- had cauliflower pizza -- way too salty and dough was bland. Friend had scramble and potatoes -- loved the scramble, but thought the potatoes were too spicy. Service was great.Special Features:
- EBrownDined on 8/17/2014Brunch was great! I went in a group of 4, we all ordered something different and each enjoyed it all! Bottomless mimosas were amazing!!!! Great seasonal flavors. The donut appetizer was hot out of the oven and heavenly. Love that the food is true to the Mediterranean flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jodesDined on 8/4/2014A little disappointed w/dishes. For a former James Beard award recipient, the dishes were a bit lackluster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed brunch hereksimmo2Dined on 8/3/2014The ambience, although somewhat darker than anticipated, was pleasant with unique lighting. The staff didn't seem super friendly nor happy. Nobody was smiling. The food was fine--nothing earth shattering about it, just average or slightly above in terms of quality. We all had various egg dishes. The potatoes were delicious. The sorbet at the beginning was refreshing and sweet. There were no milk alternatives for those of us with sensitivities to allergens in dairy, etc. That was surprising. I would have ordered a latte, or at the least coffee, but not with regular milk or cream.Special Features:
- The following 495 reviews are from the Golden Beetle reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014The food was great. We got a pizza and some small plates. The pizza was nothing average was much better than expected very good and the almond stuffed dates were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedwanderdivaDined on 6/20/2014Was very anxious to try this out and arranged a friends bday lunch there. Met with a very grumpy server at the desk. She was also our wait person and never cracked a smile for the 2 hours we were there. Extremely unpleasant situation. We went overboard with thank yous and pleases but to no avail. Falafel sandwich was dry and overdone, pita was soggy. Sauces were tasty. They did provide a comp cake to split which was nice, but in fact did not make up for one of the worst luncheons I have had in recent years. Nevertheless she got 15% which I now regret.
- MsonDined on 6/19/2014We were first put by the window where the drapes seemed pretty dirty and dusty. There were fruitflies/mosquitos buzzing around so we asked to be moved to one of the inner tables. The service was not that great this evening, and the food quality was not as expected of a restaurant bearing Maria Hines' name, and as such, the price paid wasn't really justified.
- Delicious food varietyjml24VIPDined on 6/11/2014Golden Beetle is great for a group to share the many small plates. My group tried almost every small plate and they were all delicious. The cocktails were great also. We had spiced-up versions of a Manhattan and Daiquiri. The breads with dips, falafel, and meatballs seem to be standards on the menu and are standouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Service, pretty good foodSeattlemichDined on 6/10/2014I had hoped for better. I read mixed reviews--one extreme or the other--on various sites and so gave it a try. Booked it for my friend's birthday lunch. We put 2 hours in the street parking meter, thinking surely that would be plenty of time---but no. Lunch took 2-1/2 hrs. Good thing we had the time and excellent company. The food took forever. walnut and pomegranate molasses dip -great; kale salad interesting but lacking something; stuffed medjool dates--boring; hamburger with fried egg--tasty, but delayed delivery!fries-oh, yeah; chickpea and lamb stew-subtle flavors and quite good. Baklava--yuck. Lemon cake-- dense and yummy. they did comp my burger & birthday dessert. Somehow they don't seem concerned with service speed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2014The bartender did a marvelous job with creating a new cocktail concoction. Every dish we ordered was delicious.
- YumHappytodineDined on 6/3/2014The restaurant was fairly quiet on a Tuesday night. The small plates are perfect for a person like me with a small appetite. It's the only restaurant where I have ever ordered a dessert because they have the best one ever-spiced donuts. They are delicious donut holes with honey dipping sauce and they are a must so save room after the meal for these heavenly treats.Special Features:
- Gourmet MediterraneanphridgeDined on 5/30/2014Unique, delicious Mediterranean food. Very helpful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet night and delicious biteskmorrisDined on 5/27/2014A friend and I met for dinner and had the restaurant to ourselves. We sat at the bar, received attentive care and enjoyed 3 selections from the small plates menu and 1 from the large plate menu. The lamb meatballs are out of this world - if you get one thing, get those. The dates were also delicious; a mix of sweet and savory. The rabbit was yummy. We shared the chicken which was juicy, flavorful and accompanied my a stinging nettle quinoa that was out of this world. We finished with the donuts which were warm, fluffy and just right. It was a cocktail kind of night; I had the Evergreen (refreshing) and the Cherry Bomb (satisfying.)Special Features:
- radicalDined on 5/25/2014Service was very slow. Food was good, but not innovative or demanding a repeat performance by our family of 6. We did clean our plates, so it was certainly good. Or just very hungry after waiting for an hour after being seated to receive brunch when it was not at all crowded on a Sunday early afternoon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu. Quick bite b4 movie!GailDined on 5/24/2014Recommended by a friend. Went with another couple. Ordered a few small plates. Chickpeas stew was disappointing in flavor. Kale salad excellent. Falafel was too crunchy/hard, luckily soft & tasty inside. Have had better pita, needed some fire on it, seemed like it was just pulled out of a bag? Pretty interior, bar. Good for small plates, limited choices for entrees. Maybe their specialty pizzas would have been good, next time if we go back. Wouldn't recommend to any of my friends though. Sorry. Wait service ok, attentive.
- Mixed Dinner ExperiencemkmillerDined on 5/19/2014Food was very good, but service was uncoordinated. The dining room was pleasant, but for the sake of the front-of-the-restaurant diners, may need to have some sort of pull-down shade/glare screen installed in the front window for the glare from the new Swedish building across the street as the sun is going down. I was glad that three of us were in a 4-spot, so I could move around quite a bit during the dinner so as not to have the window reflection directly in my eyes too much of the time.Special Features:
- Mediterranean ModernAuntieIr0nyDined on 5/11/2014Far more sophisticated than your typical baba-ganoush and tabouli. Beautiful lamb sausages and meat balls. The sauteed kale with macerated sour cherries and harissa vinaigrettehad me actually enjoying kale. Very nice cocktails, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.