1744 NW Market Street
Seattle, WA 98107Neighborhood:
Ballard / Fremont
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.golden-beetle.com/
- Phone: 2067062977x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:30 - 6:30pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Mediterranean, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Maria Hines
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can offer you a sit-down dinner for up to 12 people in the comfort of your own home, complete with service staff. Or, if you are interested in hosting a larger event in your home, we can offer passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers for up to 50 people.
- Special Events: In the restaurant we can offer you a semi-private sit-down dinner for groups of 16 to 30 people or a cocktail party for up to 45 people with passed hors d’oeuvres and stationary appetizers.
A word from Golden Beetle
Golden Beetle is rooted in the spices and flavors of the Mediterranean. Our Chef and owner Maria Hines was a 2009 James Beard Award winner for best Chef Northwest. Maria has recently been bestowed with the honor of being a semi-finalist for the James Beard 2013 most outstanding chef. Maria draws upon the cultures of Turkey, Greece, Lebanon, Israel, Egypt and others to present the Northwest’s best organic and seasonal ingredients from local farmers and foragers. Golden Beetle is the third restaurant in the country to receive Oregon Tilth’s esteemed organic certification. We invite you to enjoy exceptional craft cocktails and exquisite, Mediterranean food prepared with a sustainable conscience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Golden Beetle reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (25)neighborhood gem (25)special occasion (15)good for groups (12)romantic (10)great for brunch (6)hot spot (4)great for lunch (4)notable wine list (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Unique food, Great cocktailsDinnerbatDined on 8/30/2014The Golden Beetle has unique food with a Middle Eastern twist. All of our party of 5 found something to enjoy. Several of us enjoyed the variety of cocktails. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Off night?MeloDDined on 8/30/2014Terrible experience! Maybe they had an off night...the four of us were very unpleasantly surprised...one teaspoon each of hummus that had an overpowering flavor of either smoked paprika or chipotle,tzatziki that was basically yogurt...and baba ganoush that was too salty and had no texture ,one tiny scoop of ice cream that had ice crystals and had a strong cinnamon flavor and a very forgettable and small pizza...we were embarrassed to have our friends join us for such a disappointing meal,we won't be back...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014The food was good with interesting seasoning. The environment is a little tired and needs to be updated. It has potential but needs a little energy.
- GO HERENiadDined on 8/23/2014If you like good food and enjoy interacting with the staff this a place for you Good food and good peopleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticsguenetteDined on 8/23/2014The Golden Beetle is a favourite of ours and we always make sure we stop there on our Seattle trip. I've yet to have a dish that did not deliver on taste and quality.Special Features:
- Trouble with SeasoningsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/23/2014Expectations for the first visit were high -- love Tilth -- but went to Golden Beetle for brunch on a weekend day -- had cauliflower pizza -- way too salty and dough was bland. Friend had scramble and potatoes -- loved the scramble, but thought the potatoes were too spicy. Service was great.Special Features:
- EBrownDined on 8/17/2014Brunch was great! I went in a group of 4, we all ordered something different and each enjoyed it all! Bottomless mimosas were amazing!!!! Great seasonal flavors. The donut appetizer was hot out of the oven and heavenly. Love that the food is true to the Mediterranean flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jodesDined on 8/4/2014A little disappointed w/dishes. For a former James Beard award recipient, the dishes were a bit lackluster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed brunch hereksimmo2Dined on 8/3/2014The ambience, although somewhat darker than anticipated, was pleasant with unique lighting. The staff didn't seem super friendly nor happy. Nobody was smiling. The food was fine--nothing earth shattering about it, just average or slightly above in terms of quality. We all had various egg dishes. The potatoes were delicious. The sorbet at the beginning was refreshing and sweet. There were no milk alternatives for those of us with sensitivities to allergens in dairy, etc. That was surprising. I would have ordered a latte, or at the least coffee, but not with regular milk or cream.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/2/2014The food was great. We got a pizza and some small plates. The pizza was nothing average was much better than expected very good and the almond stuffed dates were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedwanderdivaDined on 6/20/2014Was very anxious to try this out and arranged a friends bday lunch there. Met with a very grumpy server at the desk. She was also our wait person and never cracked a smile for the 2 hours we were there. Extremely unpleasant situation. We went overboard with thank yous and pleases but to no avail. Falafel sandwich was dry and overdone, pita was soggy. Sauces were tasty. They did provide a comp cake to split which was nice, but in fact did not make up for one of the worst luncheons I have had in recent years. Nevertheless she got 15% which I now regret.
- MsonDined on 6/19/2014We were first put by the window where the drapes seemed pretty dirty and dusty. There were fruitflies/mosquitos buzzing around so we asked to be moved to one of the inner tables. The service was not that great this evening, and the food quality was not as expected of a restaurant bearing Maria Hines' name, and as such, the price paid wasn't really justified.
- Delicious food varietyjml24VIPDined on 6/11/2014Golden Beetle is great for a group to share the many small plates. My group tried almost every small plate and they were all delicious. The cocktails were great also. We had spiced-up versions of a Manhattan and Daiquiri. The breads with dips, falafel, and meatballs seem to be standards on the menu and are standouts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Service, pretty good foodSeattlemichDined on 6/10/2014I had hoped for better. I read mixed reviews--one extreme or the other--on various sites and so gave it a try. Booked it for my friend's birthday lunch. We put 2 hours in the street parking meter, thinking surely that would be plenty of time---but no. Lunch took 2-1/2 hrs. Good thing we had the time and excellent company. The food took forever. walnut and pomegranate molasses dip -great; kale salad interesting but lacking something; stuffed medjool dates--boring; hamburger with fried egg--tasty, but delayed delivery!fries-oh, yeah; chickpea and lamb stew-subtle flavors and quite good. Baklava--yuck. Lemon cake-- dense and yummy. they did comp my burger & birthday dessert. Somehow they don't seem concerned with service speed.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/9/2014The bartender did a marvelous job with creating a new cocktail concoction. Every dish we ordered was delicious.
- YumHappytodineDined on 6/3/2014The restaurant was fairly quiet on a Tuesday night. The small plates are perfect for a person like me with a small appetite. It's the only restaurant where I have ever ordered a dessert because they have the best one ever-spiced donuts. They are delicious donut holes with honey dipping sauce and they are a must so save room after the meal for these heavenly treats.Special Features:
- Gourmet MediterraneanphridgeDined on 5/30/2014Unique, delicious Mediterranean food. Very helpful staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet night and delicious biteskmorrisDined on 5/27/2014A friend and I met for dinner and had the restaurant to ourselves. We sat at the bar, received attentive care and enjoyed 3 selections from the small plates menu and 1 from the large plate menu. The lamb meatballs are out of this world - if you get one thing, get those. The dates were also delicious; a mix of sweet and savory. The rabbit was yummy. We shared the chicken which was juicy, flavorful and accompanied my a stinging nettle quinoa that was out of this world. We finished with the donuts which were warm, fluffy and just right. It was a cocktail kind of night; I had the Evergreen (refreshing) and the Cherry Bomb (satisfying.)Special Features:
- radicalDined on 5/25/2014Service was very slow. Food was good, but not innovative or demanding a repeat performance by our family of 6. We did clean our plates, so it was certainly good. Or just very hungry after waiting for an hour after being seated to receive brunch when it was not at all crowded on a Sunday early afternoon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu. Quick bite b4 movie!GailDined on 5/24/2014Recommended by a friend. Went with another couple. Ordered a few small plates. Chickpeas stew was disappointing in flavor. Kale salad excellent. Falafel was too crunchy/hard, luckily soft & tasty inside. Have had better pita, needed some fire on it, seemed like it was just pulled out of a bag? Pretty interior, bar. Good for small plates, limited choices for entrees. Maybe their specialty pizzas would have been good, next time if we go back. Wouldn't recommend to any of my friends though. Sorry. Wait service ok, attentive.
- The following 483 reviews are from the Golden Beetle reviews archive.
- Mixed Dinner ExperiencemkmillerDined on 5/19/2014Food was very good, but service was uncoordinated. The dining room was pleasant, but for the sake of the front-of-the-restaurant diners, may need to have some sort of pull-down shade/glare screen installed in the front window for the glare from the new Swedish building across the street as the sun is going down. I was glad that three of us were in a 4-spot, so I could move around quite a bit during the dinner so as not to have the window reflection directly in my eyes too much of the time.Special Features:
- Mediterranean ModernAuntieIr0nyDined on 5/11/2014Far more sophisticated than your typical baba-ganoush and tabouli. Beautiful lamb sausages and meat balls. The sauteed kale with macerated sour cherries and harissa vinaigrettehad me actually enjoying kale. Very nice cocktails, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/10/2014Surly waitresses on a Friday night made the whole experience poor.
- Didn't live up to its promisevictoriaspongeDined on 5/7/2014We'd looked forward to trying the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern menu. Service was okay and our young girl was welcoming and worked hard. But the food disappointed. It wasn't awful - the place was busy - but we found that it really lacked in flavour and sparkle. The baba ganoush was okay, although not smoky, but the muhummara and hummus both tasted as if someone had tried to do something a bit different, but the chef just didn't have a great palate. The pide-style pizza was okay but the topping lacked distinctive flavour. The most disappointing meal was the pork ribs. The actual meat itself was well cooked & good quality but it lacked any other flavour/seasoning, as did the couscous, so the dish was just bland & rich. Unpleasant baklava too.
- Great lunch spotCrisyDined on 5/7/2014Quick seating, great food and nice ambiance. Nice view of the street activity without the noise distraction.Special Features:
- Loved the spice combinationstravelingladyDined on 4/23/2014We would return to this restaurant. We liked all the dips, pizza, vegan and omnivore options. Nice neighborhood spot. Fresh ingredients prepared with wonderful spices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/22/2014Our meal was excellent and we shared a large selection of plates, all beautifully presented, delicious and some unique exciting flavors. We really appreciated the "gluten free" menu and options also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite a magical experience!JenniferWDined on 4/20/2014I took my best friend to the Golden Beetle for her birthday dinner and we both agreed it was one of the BEST meals we've had in ages. Every bite was spectacular. We started with the trio of dips and pita bread as our appetizer. We've never tasted pita bread this good before. It was so fresh, soft, and beautifully dusted with a touch of salt, oil, and herbs. We then had the falafel small plate, which was amazing. The sauce in the falafel was heavenly. We then shared an entree and chose the cod wrapped in cabbage. The fish was on a bed of herbed grains and a magnificent yogurt sauce that made us both swoon. Our server was excellent as well, very attentive without hovering. We loved every bite and can't wait to come back for more!Special Features:
- Cold shoulder serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/18/2014The food is amazing. Service not so much. The hostess did not make eye contact with us or smile at us - not once, when we arrived and gave her our name for our 7:15 reservation, or when she seated us. After we were seated and the menus arrived, it was almost 10 mins before someone came to take our drink order. Lots of people working, not one made eye contact. Our waitress was cool to us, but by the end of the evening she smiled at us once or twice. If it weren't for the food - which might be worth the poor service for now - we would not go back again. I would recommend Golden Beetle for the food, but warn friends about the icy service.
- Last night of SRWblog12Dined on 4/16/2014In essence, I can see what the appeal is there. It is beautifully decorated, with a warm ambiance. The staff is friendly- however without any sense of urgency. If you are in a hurry or have low blood sugar for the matter, you may want to reconsider your options. The food was okay- I understand that with Seattle Restaurant Week, they have to cut down their portions to stay profitable- however, ours made us laugh a little. We were there over three hours and left hungry (the hour long break between two courses didn't help.) I have heard great things so maybe this was just an "off" night.Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceKGarvDined on 4/12/2014Great food - slow service. It took 45 min to get our entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingtinacooksDined on 4/9/2014I had high expectations, but was disappointed by the service. I was seated at a wobbly table next to a rail and the table was too close to the waiter path so I asked to move and was told by the waitress that I would have to move all of my table items myself. The waitress couldn't handle more than one table at a time. It took forever for someone to take our order so I asked another woman to help and she had a terrible attitude. We finally talked to the bartender and he served our food. I recommend the lamb meatballs and the duck pizza. Although the duck was dry, the flavor was incredible. I also recommend asking the bartender to craft a drink because he was brilliant. I'd go back to sit at the bar; not in the restaurant.Special Features:
- Ballard diningHappytodineDined on 4/9/2014This is a fabulous place to meet friends for dinner or just a couples meal. The food is excellent, the service excellent and not hovering. It is a great place for any occasion.Special Features:
- Went for Seattle RestaurantAMS830Dined on 4/9/2014Went for Seattle Restaurant week. I think I chose all the best dishes because my food was excellent. My dining companion on the other hand ordered the chickpea stew and it seemed a bit odd. Our server gave us the tab and I put my card down and when she brought the bill back with my card the total was incorrect, but she fixed it.Special Features:
- Great Place & FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/7/2014Loved having so much organic food to choose from! Everything was done to perfection and the place was beautiful inside. Service was also excellent. The reason for the 4 vs 5 stars is that, like too many other organic venues, there were no organic wines or beers or liquor. Very disappointing when the waiter proclaimed it was due to there being no certified organic purveyors; even though, in fact, there are plenty and many of them are even in the region of our city and the Pacific Northwest (sigh). It feels like an oxymoron when this happens at such places. 5 stars and more when/if they get onboard with the beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Golden BeetleNannDined on 4/3/2014Excellent and unobtrusive service, but too noisy (as is every place these days). We were not rushed. Food not quite up to sister restaurant, Tilth. Ambience pleasant. Will go back some day. In fact, have been before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So different and so exceptional!EWFredricksDined on 4/2/2014almost everything on the menu is unique and amazingly delicious. I don't know if anything on the menu is standard fare anywhere else, but the three of us foodies delighted in everything served. I recommend concentrating on all of the small servings and sharing. The bartender came to our table and explained his concoctions and the wait staff were helpful but stayed in the background unless needed..Special Features:
- Delicious BeetlePainterPrinterPoetDined on 3/27/2014We love the Golden Beetle's delicious food and nice ambience. The Black Cod is my fave dish. We like the dips and the French Fries. The lamb serving this time was a bit teeny, but my husband and our business partner reported that it and the pork ribs were both tasty,. We shall return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a nice surprise!PatRDined on 3/22/2014We'd read good things about the Golden Beetle and the chef, and were not disappointed. This is the real deal. Simple foods, creatively prepared, with a focus on flavor. Great ambience too. Every seat was filled on a Saturday night, but we didn't feel crowded or drowned out. Can't wait to go back. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- OverpricedFitFoodieVIPDined on 3/22/2014Tilth this is not. But the food is priced and sized as if it were. A good restaurant but not worth the price.