290 Pacific Ave
San Francisco, CA 94111Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.globerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (415) 391-4132
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 1:00am, Sunday: 6:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jason Tallent
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Please call for details.
A word from Globe
Globe offers casual fine dining with no attitude.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Globe reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (11)neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)romantic (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Used to be goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 11/10/2014This place used to be great- but it was empty and the food was just ok. Disappointed.
- tasty bistro faresingingDined on 10/8/2014Went to Globe before a play at the nearby Eureka Theater. Had an excellent cocktail, a classic French frisée salad, and a flavorful entree. Nice service. A good pre-theater spot. Very reasonable.Special Features:
- Monday bday celebrationMlovelyVIPDined on 9/29/2014My friend and I treated each other for our birthday. We had the duck confit, lamb shank and chocolate pudding. The wait staff and some patrons sang happy birthday. It was nice Monday night celebration :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not what it was 15 years ago...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/24/2014i had hear a lot of good things about this place moons ago, but thought i couldn't afford it. arrived for lunch and no one was there except the cooks and 1 hostess. bad sign. strange pasta, too al dente. food was disappointing as was the vibe. won't be going back...especially with so many other rest. in the area.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/22/2014My friend and I found one of our two entrees so inedible, we had to send it back. Then we had to ask to have that entree taken off the bill. Pleasant atmosphere and good location. Maybe they were just having a bad night.
- SlippingTeamSigDined on 9/10/2014I have been going to Globe for years. It has been 6 months since the last visit and I see food slipping. Service and ambiance are still great, but was not impressed with my entree. Staples like the sopressata pizza, but I had lamb t-bones which were over cooked. The other sides were over cooked or lacking flavor. Maybe it was an off day, hoping to hear things improve dramatically soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIED TO...NOT GOING BACKFormerChefVIPDined on 8/29/2014We ordered the ribeye for 2 and at $68 expect the chefs to know how to prepare it the correct temperature. Several minutes after our friend's pizza arrived we get our steak. Even in almost complete darkness I can tell it's grey/brown. I take out my phone flashlight to confirm this and sure enough the steak is past well-done, so we send it back. We're told we'll get a new steak. Well imagine our surprise when 2 minutes later what was once a 2" steak on the bone comes back looking medium! I turn the meat over just to find that they had re-plated the same (now cold) meat that they clearly left under a warming lamp or broiler too long. I WAS BEYOND DISGUSTED. They ended up taking it off the bill, but WAY TOO DISGUSTED BEING LIED TO TO RETURN.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/8/2014only one waitress for the entire place - large lunch crowd. but they time she got to us it was almost 20 minutes later. they were out of alot of dishes and it was very early in the lunch hours. not well prepared at all. and very, very, very, loud.
- The following 683 reviews are from the Globe reviews archive.
- Not How I Remember itMagsDined on 7/3/2014Cold appetizers, chipped wine glass, raw potatoes. This was a very disappointing meal.
- MikeSFVIPDined on 6/30/2014Joseph and his crew do a great job all around. Quality menu, quality products very well prepared. The short menu has something for everyone and the wine list is very well thought out. The bar serves great drinks. I is an undiscovered gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- glovesmVIPDined on 6/17/2014Though a limited menu, I always choose the ribeye to share and it doesn't disappoint me in quality or quantity. I also tried the mussels this time around and although a little too spicy for my blood, perfectly cleaned and prepared since other places seem to always have sand in the dish.Special Features:
- Late night but LacklusterLFBODined on 6/6/2014I've been to the Globe a couple of times over the years, but not in years. It happened to be very quiet when we arrived at 11:30, but then a few folks came in. I thought that the service was nonexistent. She was just dialing it in and essentially didn't interact at all. The pizza was okay and the salad was fine. I wish SF had more choices for later dining. Would return because sometimes you need a place to go later but I feel like they could try a little harder.Special Features:
- glovesmVIPDined on 5/23/2014This wasn't my first time here, although it was my first time when it just opened and wasn't crowded. We shared the ribeye and duck confit, which was a little overcooked. Definitely worth it to share the ribeye as we had enough for a third person.Special Features:
- Dead planetKBuckVIPDined on 5/20/2014I've been to Globe in its prime and was SHOCKED at how low it has sunk. The place was only 20% full in prime lunch hour and I soon understood why. The food was awful, really and truly dead, the service was only slightly warmer, the physical space funereal. Avoid at all costs.
- not like it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/9/2014went in on a friday night at 8:15pm, there were only 3 other tables there and a few other came in later and sat at the bar. food was eh to say the least. this not the place it used to be. granted, i haven't been here since the first years it has been open.
- Consistent & WonderfulloolooDined on 4/30/2014I have been coming here forever! Steak for 2 is the best in SF. Just came with a group of 5 & we had a wonderful time. Food always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- close to theatredinerdeliteVIPDined on 4/18/2014We had good service, and the food was good. We wanted to be close to the Eureka Theatre for a performance, so Globe was handy. One criticism, we asked that the lamb be prepared 'medium rare', and it was really, really rare, and had to send it back, whereupon it was a little too done. Tasty though.
- Globe for the masseseatSFDined on 3/8/2014The frisee salad cannot be missed. Perfect for late night dining. The lighting makes for great ambiance. Service was good, although it could have been a bit tighter since the restaurant was not busy at the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the placeMikeSFVIPDined on 2/16/2014Globe is a real gem. Great food and service at very reasonable prices. Small menu with everything done to perfection. Couldn't ask for anything better. And walking distance from our apartment.Special Features:
- Great food but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2014excellent food in a cold, dark and extremely loud atmosphere. Hard chairs and pounding music make you want to leave even though the food is great and creative.
- WHO KNEW?kellenceDined on 1/11/2014Searching for a restaurant open early in this neighborhood on the weekend took a little time, but Globe proved to be a good choice. Each individual in the party of five (foodies all) enjoyed the meal they ordered. The service was prompt, friendly and properly attentive and the food was reasonably priced and delicious. The restaurant offers tables distanced from each other, lending privacy to conversations and the bare brick walls and low lighting works well to create a pleasant ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wanted to like Globe, butMollieDined on 1/10/2014I wanted to like Globe, but had mixed experiences. The service was lacking- I had an early reservation but waited in a mostly enpty restaurant for ten minutes before even getting water. The roasted treviso salad was interesting, but not easy to eat. The sea bass itself was only so so, but the setup with mushrooms and farro was quite delicious. Overall, the poor service throughout the meal left me with a negative opinion that overshadowed the food.Special Features:
- wonderful experiencecremebruleeVIPDined on 12/31/2013We ate at Globe on New Years Eve and had such exquisite food and the best possible service, I am still impressed by it 2 months later as I think back on it. Really one of the best meals in my memory, and I go to a lot of nice places. Above all, the waiter and the hostess were so genial and attentive, and unpretentious, it really added to the pleasure of the meal. Kudos.Special Features:
- Great FoodErikaVIPDined on 12/29/2013We were very impressed with their food quality and taste. There were 2 other families with small children so it seems like a neighbor hood restaurant though it is located in the financial district. It was Sunday night. We recommend anyone to try it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too understaffedOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 12/18/2013We've eaten at the Globe several times before, but we were very disappointed this time that they were so wildly understaffed. No matre d' , no bartender, and only one waiter, who had to take the place of at least two waiters, plus having to greet and seat and pour drinks and wine. Needless to day, our lunch took a very long time. We were surprised that the kitchen wasn't quicker, but perhaps they timed themselves to the speed of the waiter. We thought that we'd be in and out in an hour or so, and instead we had to wolf down our late-arriving mains and barely got out in an hour and three-quarters. Management needs to pay much more attention to staffing.
- Service was not up to parOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 12/18/2013We're were the first ones to arrive to the restaurant and got seated right away. As the minutes ticked by, the restaurant got busier. What surprised us was that there was only one person who did the hosting, order taking and seating for the whole restaurant. The 2nd server did not arrive until 1/2 hour later when the restaurant was packed. That was my only pet peeve but the food and presentation was absolutely wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, mixed experienceNBDDVIPDined on 12/13/2013When we arrived for our Fri night reservation, there was a crowd of people waiting to be seated. The maitre d was running around in a panic, and begged us to "wait 10 minutes and I'll get you a good table, I promise. Please!" One of the waitresses was volubly stressed out. I'm not sure if is their normal M.O. or if they were understaffed, but it wasn't a calm scene. BUT, once seated, the service was surprisingly pleasant and attentive. And the food was VERY good. Noise level at times was deafening, a big minus. Also, we were not far from the door, which wouldn't close completely. It was cold out and windy, so we kept getting blasted by cold air and had to keep getting up to close the door. A very mixed experience! Don't think we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had the rib eye to shareglovesmVIPDined on 12/12/2013We had the rib eye to share and split the persimmon salad. No complaints here about the food and drink. Overall the service was a bit slow, we sat down at 7 and left around 9pm and it was just the 2 of us on a Thursday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great night at the GlobeSFmeVIPDined on 12/7/2013my first time at GLobe and I'll be back. Great food and good wine selection. The staff was very welcoming and attentive. We were amazed at the fantastic creations coming from such a small kitchen area. Impressive! We were there on a Saturday night and it was quiet, which added to the enjoyment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seen better daysfoodiegirlVIPDined on 11/23/2013The globe used to be a great restaurant, one that chefs used to go to after their shifts. Unfortunately it's really gone down hill. The service was very slow- i was there when the restaurant opened and it took 20 minutes to get a waiter to stick around long enough to order. When the food arrived it was mediocre.
- Don't miss GLOBEKellyGirlSFDined on 11/22/2013First, I called minutes before my reservation to explain I would be about 15-20 min. delayed. They were perfectly nice and agreeable over the phone, not hassling me in the slightest. We had a couple people check-in on us about any questions, or about ordering wine. They seemed just happy to have us there, and didn't "rush" us in the least. My friend and I wanted to order a salad for each of us, and split an entree-- that didn't seem to bother them (sometimes places get snippy when you want to split a main dinner)-- the waiter even offered to have the chef split the item onto 2 plates, so we didn't have to hack into it and do something awkward at the table. That meant a lot. The food, salad, and wine were all top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovelyCathethestewDined on 11/15/2013Lovely menu, fish was excellent. Noise level makes conversations difficultSpecial Features:
- Small selection, especiallyAteInMauiDined on 11/14/2013Small selection, especially for vegetarians, but the quality of the food more than makes up for the lack of choices. It does tend to get a bit noisy later in the evening, so head to dinner early if you're looking for a more relaxed dining atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely food. Created a butternutHilarysfoDined on 11/13/2013Lovely food. Created a butternut quash purée was inspiring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute restaurant.MeganVIPDined on 11/8/2013cute little restaurant hidden behind the Embarcadero buildings. Food was OK, but not remarkable.Special Features:
- Noisy bar sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/2/2013While the food is very nice, the bar near the entrance was dominated by a rowdy group that would not be expected in an upscale bistro or restaurant, and the bar scene totally dominated the nearly empty restauant.
- Always FaithfulNighOutVIPDined on 11/2/2013We've been coming to Globe for the last 10 years and are never disappointed... I think that is enough said... but I can also add that seasonal pizza with oyster mushrooms was exceptional this time. thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After all these years still a gemOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/2/2013We had not been here in years even though we'd always like this place. It did not disappoint & I look forward to our next visit. Trust me it will be soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a good one!CCcxVIPDined on 10/24/2013I had heard the restaurant wasn't what it used to be .... But not sure why. Our food was outstanding, service was polite and attentive...I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continually FabulousloolooDined on 10/22/2013My husband and I would come to this restaurant all the time after it opened. It was the perfect place to get a meal late at night (he's a chef) and the food was always terrific. We have since moved to NYC & I was back for a visit & organized a girls dinner. We went for dinner and it was just as terrific as I remember! Wish this was in NYC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.