Globe Cafe & Bar
1710 Orrington Ave
Evanston, IL 60201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Globe Cafe & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.hotelorrington.com/
- Phone: 8478668700x7181
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Buffet: Every Sunday from 7:00am - 12:00pm
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 6:30am - 10:30am, Buffet 7AM - 10:30AM Lunch: 10:30AM - 5:30PM, 12PM on Sundays Dinner: 5:30PM - 10PM, 11PM Saturdays
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kerry Hieber
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Room comfortably seats up to 40 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Wiser (847)556-7924
- Special Events: Wine lovers, Tuesday and Wednesday half price bottled wine with an entree.
A word from Globe Cafe & Bar
Globe Cafe & Bar Fast becoming a locals' favorite for relaxed neighborhood dining featuring a wide menu of American, Mexican and Asian appetizers, BIG salads, burgers, steaks, horsradish crusted salmon and vegetarian options, you will find it all here. Full bar and daily drink and beer specials, 7 big-screen TV's for any event, free wi-fi internet and private dining area seating up to 40 people for birthdays, parties, luncheons or just large parties at peak dining times. Great outdoor dining patio. Breakfast, lunch, dinner daily. Your food. Your pace. Your place.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Globe Cafe & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- Lunch at the GlobeDonDocDined on 7/14/2013Arrived at 2:00 on Sunday for a late lunch to find a mostly empty dining room. While the emptiness was surprising (the Globe is located in a popular hotel in downtown Evanston), we didn't mind the lack of fellow diners because it allowed for more intimate conversation throughout lunch. Food and service were great - between the three of us, we had one of the burger choices, the grilled chicken panini and a salad nicoise. Each of us highly recommend our choices. $5.00 bloody mary's also helped to round out a great lunch experience. Will definitely go back for casual lunches with friends and associates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/16/2013Good food nice people working there but the service was not coordinatedSpecial Features:
- Anniversary dinnerJerryD1Dined on 6/14/2013Good entree presentation delivered in timely fashion. Not rushed, and good dessert optionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch around the GlobeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2013I've found it to be a bit nicer place to take a friend or small group for lunch, reliably good food and service, convenient to the north side of Evanston and the south end of Northwestern's campus, not to pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/12/2013Room temperature white wine, 30 minutes for a simple appetizer and cold entrees were only moderately offset by the Manager's personal attention to try and correct the situation.
- Easy and yummyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/26/2013I wasn't expecting much from a hotel bar/restaurant but we were pleasantly surprised. Menu is small but varied enough, my husband had their ricotta-lemon pancakes (too tart for our taste but well prepared) and I had their $16 brunch buffet: (pre-bought pastries, yogurt, fruit, eggs, breakfast meats and pancakes/french toast). The eggs with cheddar+ham were great, the bacon and sausage were very good and even the french toast was very well prepared and held its moisture (not a fan of raising bread tho). With free parking in Evanston on Sundays this is a great place to run in for immediate food if you are starving an want comfort. They were also extremely accommodating with my small toddler.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very poor service -- our salad,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/28/2013Very poor service -- our salad, soup, and entrees came all at once, and waitress came after the meal was served (and only after we asked) to say that salad was not included in one of our meals. Poor food -- go to one of the fast food chains and you could get better.
- Excellent cuisine and ambiance,HowardVIPDined on 4/19/2013Excellent cuisine and ambiance, reasonably priced. Our usual server, Marty, always takes good care of our family.Special Features:
- The service could have beenChicagoChristopherVIPDined on 4/19/2013The service could have been a bit more attentive... but overall a good experience.
- We have had dinner at GlobeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/17/2013We have had dinner at Globe Cafe twice prior to attending concerts in Evanston. The food and service have been great, and at an early dinner time the restaurant is very quiet. On street parking is easy to find.
- Cafe is in a downtown EvanstonNickDined on 12/15/2012Cafe is in a downtown Evanston Hotel. We were there early on a Saturday evening. The restaurant and Bar were quiet. All staff was attentive and cheerful. Food slightly above average. I think it might be a good place for business lunch/dinner/drinks.Special Features:
- We were pleasantly surprisedReviewer34567VIPDined on 11/26/2012We were pleasantly surprised by the excellence of the food served--this is not your typical hotel restaurant. The burgers include 3 toppings--we chose guacamole, grilled onions, and mushrooms--for $10; they were cooked to order (medium rare and rare). The waitstaff were friendly and helpful. The drinks from the bar were of generous-size, and there were interesting wine by the glass options. We will definitely be back. This is a hidden gem.Special Features:
- Do NOT RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012Service was terrible. We did not see our waiter after the initial order. We had to seek out the hostess and a busboy to get drinks, missing condiments and the check at the end of the meal. Even after requesting the check twice, we waited 15 minutes. We saw another table put their jackets on to leave and pay their bill at the front door, because they had a similar problem. My wife's fish tacos were over salted and inedible. We couldn't wait to get out of this place. Our worst restaurant experience, and we eat out a lot.
- If you like being yelled too :-)OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/14/2012When we arrived at 12:00 noon at the cafe entrance/ host stand there was no one there. Some staff were doing chores and chatting and just sort of looked over at us... finally one of them from across the room yelled over something like, "You want a table?" When we said yes they finally walked over and said, "Are you hear for breakfast?" We said, sure... They said, "Sorry that's finished now." So why on Earth did they ask us about breakfast if they could not even serve it? It was just weird. Anyway we had lunch. Food- Burger ordered medium was well-done and dry. Caesar salad was good and huge. They were not busy at all so no excuses. The staff is just not properly trained. Note- this Cafe & Bar is actually in a pretty basic hotel lobby.Special Features:
- Great service by JasonOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/20/2012Jason was our server this night and he was amazing! It was like he had ESP and 5 clones! He was there before you knew you needed him and always anticipated what we needed. Water glasses - filled! Refills - pronto! Recommendations - great! He sets the standard for how to provide outstanding service. Too bad he was just filling in for the usual team (he is usually the manager).Special Features:
- Our server and bar tenderChefjack817Dined on 8/24/2012Our server and bar tender were very friendly, solicitous, efficient and helpful in accomodating our party. We were given the option to dine by the bar where it was more private and the noise level was lower compared to the restaurant due to a party going on that evening. The hotel ambiance and decor is very warm and welcoming compared to its old version when it was the Omni Orrington.Special Features:
- Requested to sit outside ifOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012Requested to sit outside if the bees weren't an issue. We were seated outside, but, the bees found us. Guess you have to commune w/nature when eating outdoors. Ordered the Nicoise Salad, was informed 20 mins. or so after ordering that tuna on the salad was extra and asked if we still wanted it. Uhm, isn't tuna the essence of the Nicoise Salad? The seared tuna was good, the salad was a little limp and with too much dressing. Should have asked for dressing-on-the-side. The server was friendly and attentive. The company and ambiance (sans bees) made up for the salad, which I still ate because we were with a new acquaintance-his 1st time there-didn't want to make a fuss. Love the fresh brewed iced tea!Special Features:
- Sarah is a charming, outstandingDinerVIPDined on 7/31/2012Sarah is a charming, outstanding women & a good serverSpecial Features:
- brunch used to be good butOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2012brunch used to be good but things were not replenished and omlets were not good at all
- Ate outside, so didn't goLk2eatVIPDined on 7/12/2012Ate outside, so didn't go inside to see the restaurant.Waitress that helped me was very good. Had chilled soup for the summeer months, which I ordered and it was fabulous.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant with a generalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2012Nice restaurant with a general menu. Prices are reasonable and portions are generous.Special Features:
- The hamburgers were good butOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/16/2012The hamburgers were good but the fries were cold. There was hardly any blue cheese on the hamburger- just a whiff. The service was slow and the waiter mixed up the order, bringing a soup that was not ordered, no extra charge for that, but it was unfortunate that it was served.
- Lot of servers running aroundKanavinakaVIPDined on 4/14/2012Lot of servers running around and food comes out cold with virtually no one in the restaurant. A mediocre hotel bar restaurant.
- We went for an early dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/8/2012We went for an early dinner at 4, so it was an odd time and nearly empty. All of our 6 entrees featured too many mashed or other potatoes, which seemed redundant. The menu and atmosphere in the front of the hotel are better suited for lunch than dinner.
- My salad was awful. It wasComiamos2Dined on 4/7/2012My salad was awful. It was drowned in some sort of heavy, gloppy dressing - inedible! My date had the salmon, which he said was good. It was a shame, because it's a nice room, and the waiter was very nice. But how can you ruin a salad?!?! It was absolutely inedible.
- This place has lots of potential.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/6/2012This place has lots of potential. They have a great menu, but seem to have some trouble with consistency. One of our entrees was great. The other was very over cooked. The server was dismissive at best. Others working there seemed to be aware of his shortcomings, becuase they kept coming by to make sure he was taking care of us.Special Features:
- We went on a Sunday eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2012We went on a Sunday evening for a light bite before a concert in town. The restaurant wasn't crowded at all. Service was friendly and quick so we made the concert in plenty of time. The chicken salad sandwich was uniquely prepared and delicious. My husband enjoyed his "pick your own ingredients" hamburger as well.Special Features:
- Food was absolutely delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2012Food was absolutely delicious. Salmon and scampi plates are recommended. Very attentive server. The semi private "cove room" table enhanced the evening. Definitely returning.Special Features:
- Not a bad place but I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/24/2012Not a bad place but I was expecting something fancier.
- One of the best, family-friendlyHowardVIPDined on 2/17/2012One of the best, family-friendly restaurants in Evanston. Excellent food and service.
- Didn't need a reservation.yumyum2VIPDined on 2/11/2012Didn't need a reservation. No customers were there when we arrived at 6PM. Food was less than good. Presidentation was nice to look at but not practical. My pork chop,vegtable and mashed potatoes were served in a soup bowl on top of each other, so I had to remove the meat to a side dish to cut it. It was dry. Sauce was too tart. I did not enjoy this meal.
- I don't know if the placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/28/2012I don't know if the place was understaffed that night, but everything seemed to take a long time, even after the placed emptied out (around 8pm). My chopped chef salad was great. My wife ordered the mussels special. She was disappointed in the small portion size. Given that she is not a big eater this was surprising.Special Features:
- We went for a early new year'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2011We went for a early new year's eve dinner with our three kids under five. The place was nearly empty. The staff was incredibly nice. One of the waiters even made change AND went outside to feed our meter for us! The food was very acceptable - nothing out of the ordinary, but it was what we were looking for with the kids. My husband had an awesome burger, and my seared tuna nicoise salad was quite good. The bacon/gouda mac&cheese special was ok - it got better reheated. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- This is one of the best restaurantsHowardVIPDined on 12/30/2011This is one of the best restaurants in Evanston. Excellent food, great value, family-friendly, nice ambiance, outstanding service. Our waiter, Marty, was exceptionally attentive, and the restaurant manager (on a Friday evening, I didn't catch his name) stopped by our table to greet us and made us feel very welcome.
- The gentleman who greetedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/25/2011The gentleman who greeted us on Christmas was SUPERB (I think he was a manager)! VERY attentive, had us seated by another man right away, even took our drink order and brought us our drinks VERY quickly. Our server was slow to arrive. The food (I had the grilled chicken & gnocchi and a Caesar salad) was OK. The flavor of the entree was good, but the sauce was very DRY and stuck to the food; it was not CREAMY. The salad? Standard fare, a bit light on the dressing. My partner had a club sandwich with fries and he said it was fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. The peppermint/chocolate creme brulee was quite good; the best item that we had. Not sure if I would RECOMMEND the Globe or not. I would say there are better choices in Evanston.
- Finally, a great hotel restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/25/2011We usually avoid hotel restaurants and check out the local scene. In this case, we were staying at another nearby hotel and heard very good things about Globe Cafe, so we checked it out. We were very pleasantly surprised and would definitely return. The meal was creatively prepared and presented, the staff was amicable and attentive. Prices were very good. We'll be back.
- Evanston has more than itsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2011Evanston has more than its share of fantastic restaurants and I generally avoid hotel eateries, but this one is an exception. Located in the Orrington Hotel, the Globe Cafe and Bar is a great neighborhood foodspot. The menu offers a nice variety from which to choose. Be sure to tip the servers well because they, like most in Evanston, are working to support their Northwestern University habit.Special Features:
- This was the first time IOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/9/2011This was the first time I was mislead by Open Table. Globe is not a restauraunt, it's a diner. Decor is plastic and formica. Napkins are paper. The wine by the glass was old as in musty, not as in aged. Our entrees arrived half way thru our salads. As far as a local hangout, I bet there wasn't a local within a block of the place.
- In all fairness it was LaborChiGuyVIPDined on 9/5/2011In all fairness it was Labor Day...probably not a fair day to judge a restaurant. The people were very pleasant, the place was very clean, but the food was fair to say the least. We did notice as we were leaving that there was a cozy room on the other side of the bar...might be a better spot for a bite to eat!
- Excellent restaurant; ourHowardVIPDined on 9/2/2011Excellent restaurant; our host Jason and server Martin were great!